Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Priority tag / tags for checked baggage / luggage (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 23, 2016, 2:38 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
AA Priority Baggage Delivery
including eligibility, delivery and Priority tag issues

Link to aa.com page for Priority baggage delivery

Priority baggage delivery is encoded on the baggage check ribbon tag affixed to checked baggage and by a one world standard orange "PRIORITY" tag affixed separately or to the baggage check tag.

Priority baggage delivery

Putting your luggage first

In addition to priority access privileges, on eligible flights*, our top customers can look forward to a swift, convenient exit from the airport with our complimentary Priority baggage delivery service. At check in, your baggage will be tagged with branded Priority bag tags, and when you arrive at your destination, they’ll be among the first delivered to the baggage claim area.

This service applies only to:

• First Class and Business Class customers **
  • AAdvantage Executive Platinum members
  • AAdvantage Platinum members
  • AirPass travelers
  • oneworld® Emerald and Sapphire members

To enjoy the benefits of this service, check your bag directly with American at:

• A ticket counter
  • Self-service check-in machine
  • Curbside check-in
  • Off-site check-in locations such as Disney and participating cruise lines
* Service is available on all American Airlines and American Eagle flights system-wide. Excludes codeshare flights.

** If upgrading, your First or Business Class seat must be confirmed before check-in to be eligible for this service.
Updated 23 Feb 2016 by JDiver
Print Wikipost

Priority tag / tags for checked baggage / luggage (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 5, 2015, 3:41 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Delta Gold, Mariott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Avis Presidents Club
And don't forget about the Blue "first class" tags on luggage that won't fit in the carry on. Several times now I have had to use those on the time E planes that that still have 1C

But in STL, I'm 100% positive they don't care about the priority tags. frequently my bags, and those of other priority come off in the middle or near the end of the entire plane.
Old Aug 5, 2015, 5:31 pm
formerly gemini573

Programs: CX Emerald, WOH Globalist, Marriott Platinum, AA Lifetime Platinum, Virtuoso, Prive, STEPS, STARS
As far as proper handling of priority luggage...the only airport that AA flies to that gets it consistently correct is NRT.

I bet if the baggage handlers see a Rimowa with a priority sticker, they'll treat it even worse.
Old Aug 5, 2015, 6:22 pm
Formerly known as billinaz

Programs: US Airways Dividend Miles, American AAdvantage, Avis Preferred, Budget Rapid Rez, Hilton Honors
Originally Posted by Often1
AA embeds priority into the bar code. That's all the baggage handlers "see" and use for purposes of expediting bags. Whether the handlers actually follow the priority coding is a different issue.

The printed tags themselves are simply marketing hype so that people can feel special.
That does not appear to be the case. All the barcodes give the same number, the baggage number. The 'priority' portion of the printed tag in near the handle.

Old Aug 5, 2015, 6:25 pm
formerly gemini573

Programs: CX Emerald, WOH Globalist, Marriott Platinum, AA Lifetime Platinum, Virtuoso, Prive, STEPS, STARS
Originally Posted by SpaceCoastBill
That does not appear to be the case. All the barcodes give the same number, the baggage number. The 'priority' portion of the printed tag in near the handle
It's there. You can't see it, but the reader that sorts the luggage can. It's just like the QR code on the passbook app (if you have an iPhone). Many things on there you can't see, but the QR reader can. That's why when people post pics of their boarding pass on IG, bad idea to have that QR code on display cause people can obtain lots of info from it.

FYI, you might want to xxxx out the barcode on your baggage tag.

Last edited by 77W_12A; Aug 5, 2015 at 6:40 pm Reason: content
Old Aug 5, 2015, 6:35 pm

Programs: AA EXP...couple hotels and cars too
Originally Posted by SquareRainbow
is there only one type of priority tag on checked bags? !
Yes.

The kind that doesnt do squat.

IME
Old Aug 5, 2015, 6:48 pm

Programs: US Airways Dividend Miles, American AAdvantage, Avis Preferred, Budget Rapid Rez, Hilton Honors
Originally Posted by gemini573
It's there. You can't see it, but the reader that sorts the luggage can. It's just like the QR code on the passbook app (if you have an iPhone). Many things on there you can't see, but the QR reader can. That's why when people post pics of their boarding pass on IG, bad idea to have that QR code on display cause people can obtain lots of info from it.

I can see that on a QR code, but the linear barcode is just that, a bar code. I ran it through several different scanners, all with the same result.

The trip is completed, what good would the code be to anyone??

What is IG?
Old Aug 5, 2015, 7:01 pm
formerly gemini573

Originally Posted by SpaceCoastBill
I can see that on a QR code, but the linear barcode is just that, a bar code. I ran it through several different scanners, all with the same result.

The trip is completed, what good would the code be to anyone??

What is IG?
The information that's embedded in the barcode has all the information on there.

Now, the QR code on the BP. On some airlines (won't say all), it has your FF information, the fare you paid, ticket number, BN, contact information, etc. If someone wanted to play a cruel joke on you, they could call customer service and change your reservations.

IG = Instagram. People post pics of their BP saying they're going somewhere or if they got upgraded. It's ripe for getting information.
Old Aug 5, 2015, 7:19 pm

Programs: AAdvantage
It's there. You can't see it, but the reader that sorts the luggage can.
^ It's there. Sometimes bags are coded priority when they shouldn't be and vice versa.
Old Aug 5, 2015, 8:15 pm

What does the Pier mean?

Since you probably work with bags, what does the special handling tag mean to you?
Old Aug 5, 2015, 8:36 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by pssteve
Priority Tags are merely an inexpensive way to stroke our egos. The actual delivery of our bags is more random than anything else.Just be glad that your bag makes it to your destination.
My bags came were one of the first to come out during all six flights involving checked bags and priority tags at LGA/MIA/ORD in the past 12 months.
Old Aug 6, 2015, 12:44 pm

Programs: AA PPro, Mariott Gold Elite, Lowly kettle across every other loyalty program.
Originally Posted by vatali
And don't forget about the Blue "first class" tags on luggage that won't fit in the carry on. Several times now I have had to use those on the time E planes that that still have 1C

But in STL, I'm 100% positive they don't care about the priority tags. frequently my bags, and those of other priority come off in the middle or near the end of the entire plane.
+1
Old Aug 8, 2015, 8:08 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond

Not sure what QR code you are referring to. My AA baggage tags is consistent with SpaceCoastBill's description. There is no QR code on the tag itself.
Old Aug 8, 2015, 9:51 pm

Programs: AA EP | UA 1K
The Priority Tags are meant to indicate to baggage handlers load last, unload first.

Contrary to what people will tell you, AA outstations are constantly audited for baggage delivery times, priority included. So no, they are not there to stroke egos. 90% of the time my bags when i check them always come out in the first batch.

The only time they don't is if i land in a tiny airport after getting off a Q200 (ERI for example) where there are a total of 15 checked bags and the handlers just dont care.
Old Aug 9, 2015, 5:50 pm
formerly gemini573

Originally Posted by seawolf
Not sure what QR code you are referring to. My AA baggage tags is consistent with SpaceCoastBill's description. There is no QR code on the tag itself.
Sorry, should of been more clear. I went off topic and talked about the boarding pass with the QR code that you find on the passbook app (if you have an iPhone).

There are many that like to post pics on Instagram with their boarding pass with QR code exposed. If you have a QR reader, you can get quite a bit of information depending on which airline; PNR, status, fare you paid, contact info, etc.

There are some people who have nothing better to do who might use that information and call the airline and change your reservation. Sad, but true.
Old Dec 23, 2015, 5:24 pm

Programs: AAdvantage 2MM+ Lifetime PLT; BA, CO, UA, US; SPG; HHonors Gold
Priority Baggage Tags?

Flew SFO-JFK on AA connecting to JFK-LHR on BA. Paid ticket in J. At SFO we encountered one of the surliest check-in agents in a very long time. She grumbled about how late I checked in for an international flight. We were at check in at 11:10 for a 12:35 departure (and I had preloaded all the passport information, so I don't understand what was the big deal).

Everyone else in the priority check in was getting the orange Priority baggage tags, so I asked the agent to put one on our bags too and was told that it could not be done because we were flying 2 different airlines.

I have done AA/BA connections a zillion times and never heard this claim before. Plus even prior to Oneworld AA/BA had a joint TATL operation when IIRC bags were tagged. Not sure if the tags even matter, but what is the point of OneWorld if they can't even do that?

BTW sure enough 1 of our 4 bags came out very late at LHR.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.