FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   Priority tag / tags for checked baggage / luggage (consolidated) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/1699982-priority-tag-tags-checked-baggage-luggage-consolidated.html)

dls25 Sep 16, 2017 1:02 pm

In my experience, Priority Tags make a difference when baggage is delivered at most international stations but make no difference at all within North America. I don't understand why AA baggage delivery take so long anyway; DL/AS can do it in 20 minutes, even in their hubs, while AA takes 45 minutes in small outstations (BUF, I'm calling you out specifically).

rjw242 Sep 16, 2017 1:42 pm

MIA is notorious for this as well -- the baggage handlers there seem to relish putting out the orange tags at the very end.

TSparky Sep 17, 2017 12:25 pm

At LAX each carousel has 2 ramps to feed it. Last Thu on DFW-LAX 788 the regular bags came down first on the front ramp. Then it stopped and the tagged bags came down the rear ramp separately. BUR though small usually gets it right, but not always.

AA Flyer Sep 17, 2017 5:30 pm

Originally Posted by rjw242 (Post 28823498)
MIA is notorious for this as well -- the baggage handlers there seem to relish putting out the orange tags at the very end.

Ditto. Average wait time at MIA for luggage...... 45 minutes!!!!! I, unfortunately, have to use this airport quite often. Worst in the nation.

PDBDrinker Sep 17, 2017 10:11 pm

It's just like serving PDBs. The employees involved know it's policy, but they don't give a damn about doing their jobs correctly. Until management decides to punish for these service failures, they will continue.

CMK10 Sep 22, 2017 5:50 am

Two priority tagged bags at RDU earlier this month. My bag came out in the middle of the pack. My girlfriend's bag was one of the last out with a ten minute wait between our bags :rolleyes:

g3n1us Dec 19, 2017 8:06 pm

Flew from SFO to YYZ today (with stopover in PHL). Had priority tag from my OneWorld Sapphire status (first time using this). My Luggage was the first one out at YYZ.

no1cub17 Aug 27, 2019 11:09 am

Bizarre experience at LAX this morning. Checked in for paid domestic F flight, bags are a few lbs overweight which the agent doesn't worry about (appropriately), but our bags were not priority tagged. We asked the agent why not, and she said it was because we were GLD, not PLT or higher. I let her know that it shouldn't matter because we were in first class, but she pointed to the claim checks that did not have the "P" printed on them. This is literally the first time this has happened to us. Anyone know why? Anything similar happen to anyone else? I'm going to write in to AA about this. Not sure what they'll do if they even care, but aa.com clearly lists priority baggage as a benefit for first/business customers.

Superguy Aug 27, 2019 11:17 am

In was in paid F this past week and am only gold. I received priority tags both at BWI and SMF with no problems. Sounds like you got a clueless agent.

no1cub17 Aug 27, 2019 11:21 am

Originally Posted by Superguy (Post 31462574)
In was in paid F this past week and am only gold. I received priority tags both at BWI and SMF with no problems. Sounds like you got a clueless agent.

For sure, but I found it bizarre that the claim checks didn't have P on them. I'm used to most AA agents being worthless, but I was surprised to not see the P on the claim checks.

Superguy Aug 27, 2019 11:45 am

Never noticed those before. I have a P on my outbound from the 18th. Shouldn't matter of its there or not though. Agent should know the rules and be able to ignore glitches like that. She gave a pretty lame excuse for not doing the right thing.

donotblink Aug 27, 2019 12:57 pm

Honestly, baggage handlers seem to ignore these anyway.

Superguy Aug 27, 2019 1:36 pm

Originally Posted by donotblink (Post 31462943)
Honestly, baggage handlers seem to ignore these anyway.

It's been hit or miss for me, but more often than not, it helps. I especially noticed it when I fell back to Kettle earlier this year.

There was one time on pmUS in either TPA or MCO (can't remember which) where my bags were both the very first one off and very last one off. Both were tagged priority. Go figure. :rolleyes:

CPH-Flyer Aug 27, 2019 2:29 pm

The tags are mainly just decorative, the important part is what is in the bar code. If the system does not recognise it as priority luggage based on the bar code, it will be sorted with the standard luggage. So even if the agent had attached a tag, the bagage system would not have sorted it as a priority bag.

Did you buy a fare that was an instant upgrade to F (don't know if AA still has those) meaning the underlying fare conditions where actually Y?

MathMusic Aug 27, 2019 3:04 pm

Priority bag tags are technically only for Plat status or higher, but First should receive it as well.

See https://www.aa.com/i18n/aadvantage-p...g-delivery.jsp