Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Operational Upgrades (op up) - all about and "I got one" (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Operational Upgrades (op up) - all about and "I got one" (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 18, 2015, 8:46 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by billgrates3
My colleague and his GF were returning from vacation in Spain last weekend. Although he is PLT and GF no status, he seemed to forget that they could check in at the "premium" counter. He asked at that counter anyway, and the agent asked if he were Spanish (my colleague said 'yes, and American too'), then the agent type-type-typed and said, "Here's your boarding passes for Business class".

Needless to say, my colleague and GF were astonished and grateful indeed!
Nice for them, but it feels like a bit of "janqui panqui".
Old Aug 19, 2015, 11:21 am

Programs: AA Platinum, HHonors Gold, Alamo Insiders, Hertz #1 Gold
MAD OpUp

Got an OpUp on US as a Platinum 7/30 MAD-PHL to Envoy. Went to counter and asked for it and they said "sure", handed me a new boarding pass, and wrote out for me how to get to the lounge Though I had access anyways as PLT
Old Aug 19, 2015, 12:49 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, AA EXP, WN A-List, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Does anyone know if OpUps happen from J to F on LAX-JFK?

I'm flying on an I ticket (I'm an EXP), and biz is almost sold out. Looks like plenty of availability in F.
Old Aug 19, 2015, 12:54 pm

It's great to hear some are getting op ups.

Of course, it's not at all predictable when one might get op-upped, because passenger loads can change unpredictably. LAX-JFK, e.g., IMO has a higher percentage of passengers with flexible ticketing, I'd imagine, so a near sold out J can change very quickly. And F availability can evaporate quickly with AirPass, flexible fares, etc.

Never count on an operational upgrade so you'll never feel your expectations have been trashed.
Old Sep 11, 2015, 8:02 am

Was pleasantly surprised to be op-up to J at the gate on AA186 from PEK-ORD. The ticket was booked into Q, and I'm currently Plat w/ AA.
Old Sep 11, 2015, 11:06 am

Originally Posted by mrwangkai
Was pleasantly surprised to be op-up to J at the gate on AA186 from PEK-ORD. The ticket was booked into Q, and I'm currently Plat w/ AA.
Nice! You should buy a lottery ticket this week.
Old Sep 13, 2015, 3:20 am

On my birthday FA came up to spouse and me and gave us boarding passes from MCE to First!
MCO to DFW
Old Sep 19, 2015, 9:55 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AS 75K, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold
Did I almost just get a double op up?

I'm currently on AA 995, with pax still boarding. There was an equipment change to a 772. Spoke to nice agent in Admirals Club, got an op up to business. As I showed my boarding pass at the gate, I saw another with my name on it for 4A - First. And then at least one other with 4A on it. When I commented, the agent said, "oh, that's not for you." What happened? What should I have done to secure that pass with my name on it?
Old Sep 19, 2015, 10:56 pm

Originally Posted by vhrum
I'm currently on AA 995, with pax still boarding. There was an equipment change to a 772. Spoke to nice agent in Admirals Club, got an op up to business. As I showed my boarding pass at the gate, I saw another with my name on it for 4A - First. And then at least one other with 4A on it. When I commented, the agent said, "oh, that's not for you." What happened? What should I have done to secure that pass with my name on it?
I don't think there was much you could have done. It appears they may have caught the error.
Old Sep 21, 2015, 12:28 pm

Originally Posted by JDiver
Nice! You should buy a lottery ticket this week.
Ha, maybe! For this flight the economy cabin looked pretty full, whilst the J cabin had plenty of space (everyone who wants to sit by themselves had the option to), which is probably why. Again, I'm grateful.
Old Sep 22, 2015, 12:02 pm

Programs: AA GLD for life, HH Gold, SPG gold, Hyatt Plat, Avis Select, TSA pfd
Originally Posted by Microwave
As a reminder, this thread would be for AA (and US, to the extent they still exist) flights only.

~Moderator
I've only had it happen on other airlines, not even on my birthday on AA!!!

I did get offered to pay $500 for UG from J to F on EZE-MIA while doing online check-in. First time I was offered that.
Old Sep 22, 2015, 6:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
So, we can now ask nicely for free international upgrades again? I thought that we said that we are not doing that anymore?
Old Sep 22, 2015, 11:49 pm

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, Bonvoy Tit, Hilton Dia etc etc
Originally Posted by nk15
So, we can now ask nicely for free international upgrades again? I thought that we said that we are not doing that anymore?
The two aren't connected: you can always ask nicely, whether they are doing it or not
Old Sep 23, 2015, 8:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
Btw, when you "ask" and get an upgrade, these are not op-ups (unless it is a rare coincidence with an overbooked plane, and even then they are supposed to follow specific upgrade criteria, I assume).
Old Oct 17, 2015, 7:26 pm

Programs: UA 1K, WN AP, AS MVPG
Out of curiousity. How do you get op ups? Just random coincidence that they ask you, do you talk to a gate agent or someone, do you 'ask' for and op-up? Been trying to read up on this. Free upgrades are always nice.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.