FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   Using AA Twitter social media team: how, what, when (master thread) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/1695766-using-aa-twitter-social-media-team-how-what-when-master-thread.html)

nologic Jul 18, 2015 9:03 am

Using AA Twitter social media team: how, what, when (master thread)

I think perhaps the best way to address AA service deficiencies while hopefully encouraging AA to improve is to post your comments and experiences in as close to real time as possible on Twitter, including pics.

@AmericanAir <corrected> is the official Twitter address for AA.

No PDB in 1st class -- take a pic of the open door and no people boarding and post away with your experience and flight details. Or, just post: AAxxx, LGA-ORD, no pre departure beverages, despite request & plenty of time for FAs. You may get a very quick response from AA's Twitter team asking for you for details and promising prompt follow up.

Maybe FAs will start to recognize that it makes more sense to just do the right thing in the first place than have to explain things later on.

Obviously, this applies to much more than just PDB's: bad food (great opportunity for pics), malfunctioning equipment, late baggage, premium baggage not delivered first, boarding problems, flight delays, etc.

Conversely, I think the same idea applies to good food and experiences, although I think the same holds true for AA's competitors.

Social media can be a much more powerful way to effect change than private emails to customer service and/or posts on FT.

AANYC1981 Jul 18, 2015 10:34 am

Might have to finally get on Twitter

SJC AA Jul 18, 2015 10:59 am

Actually, it's @AmericanAir. No underscore.

JonNYC Jul 18, 2015 11:46 am

Originally Posted by AANYC1981 (Post 25136379)
Might have to finally get on Twitter

If you're EP, most definitely as there is additional functionality for EPs using Twitter to address issues to/with AA-- very valuable.

An EP, in particular, would be nuts not to use Twitter for this reason.

BTW, they will match up your AADv identity with your twitter identity and you'll get even better service via twitter, regardless of EP or not.

AANYC1981 Jul 18, 2015 11:52 am

Originally Posted by JonNYC (Post 25136629)
If you're EP, most definitely as there is additional functionality for EPs using Twitter to address issues to/with AA-- very valuable.

BTW, they will match up your AADv identity with your twitter identity and you'll get even better service via twitter, regardless of EP or not.

Good to know! I've been putting off Twitter for so long but this plus my colleagues telling me how great it is for service issues in general (hello Time Warner Cable!) will probably push me to get on it.

JonNYC Jul 18, 2015 11:52 am

Take a look at this very recent video on this subject:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yszb...R=&app=desktop
#SocialBell: Tips for Social Engagement feat. American Airlines.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yszb...R=&app=desktop

JonNYC Jul 18, 2015 12:03 pm

Originally Posted by AANYC1981 (Post 25136650)
Good to know! I've been putting off Twitter for so long but this plus my colleagues telling me how great it is for service issues in general (hello Time Warner Cable!) will probably push me to get on it.

I despise Twitter-- and am certainly not "above" it or anything, i.e I like Facebook and instagram-- but I personally find Twitter to be vapid, clunky and obsolete.*

That said, YES, *definitley* use Twitter to address AA-- I can be bizzarely effective!

BTW, the first time you send a DM to the Twitter team, give them your AAdv #, then in subsequent contacts they'll already have your Twitter handle linked to your AAdv account. @:-)

* even though I despise it, I do use it occasionally to send out time-sensitive and or very actionable/interesting AAdv stuff: https://twitter.com/xjonnyc if anyone's inclined.

AANYC1981 Jul 18, 2015 12:11 pm

Just joined! Between Facebook and Instagram though I can't imagine doing much on Twitter unless reporting failures/issues. It's almost a full time job keeping up with all the social media outlets. I've already noticed a few other EP friends have gotten very timely help from the Twitter team from looking through their comments/issues.

RogerD408 Jul 18, 2015 12:26 pm

So as I recall they get 200,000 tweets and responded with 90,000. That's not even 50%. But then that accounts for the zero responses I've received.

Having been in the tech business for several decades, I love seeing the tail wagging the dog. Everyone jumping on anything new and nothing getting a majority of the business and becoming the defacto standard (Facebook, InstaGram, MySpace, Twitter, etc.). And then you get the competitors adopting similar techniques (allowing business accounts, hashtags, photos, SMS portals, etc.). And add on top of that a large percentage of the customer base not up to speed on all the social media buzz. I see it as a dilution of effort and misdirection of resources.

Add to all this sites like FT, TripAdvisor, other travel bloggers, and inhouse services like MI at Marriott; and you now have to spend half your day tracking down all the sources and looking for your issue to see if it's been addressed already. Look at how many people don't do searches before posting here on FT. How much longer until there is a consolidator site like the job boards that pull entries from other sources and present them to their users? I spend way too much time on FT alone, I can't see adding more to my efforts.

I am glad seeing them buying into increasing support, just wish it was focused on more customers.

JonNYC Jul 18, 2015 12:27 pm

Originally Posted by AANYC1981 (Post 25136726)
...I've already noticed a few other EP friends have gotten very timely help from the Twitter team from looking through their comments/issues.

Yeah, you'll see some astounding service recoveries on there.

Better link to that video above:

ryan182 Jul 18, 2015 12:39 pm

How do they know if your EXP from Twitter? Do you mention it or can you add your Twitter handle to your profile somehow?

RogerD408 Jul 18, 2015 12:43 pm

Originally Posted by ryan182 (Post 25136813)
How do they know if your EXP from Twitter? Do you mention it or can you add your Twitter handle to your profile somehow?

When you do the DM to give them specifics of your issue you would provide identifying info which will go into their CRM system and tie the two together. SPG does this with FT issues to tie your FT username to your SPG account. And I'm sure many others do too.

It wouldn't surprise me if the "proprietary system" she mentioned was a frontend to Twitter to bring up all your past Tweets but account info with service recoveries and eagle rating. We are still in the Info Age.

JonNYC Jul 18, 2015 12:55 pm

Originally Posted by ryan182 (Post 25136813)

You can't add your twitter handle, but you "link" i with them once and they'll have it going forward.

Additional functionality/advantage of DMing them from the App if you're EP.

Originally Posted by RogerD408 (Post 25136828)
When you do the DM to give them specifics of your issue you would provide identifying info which will go into their CRM system and tie the two together. .

No, it's not automated in that way you have to give them your AAdv # one time, no system automatically linking them exists.

nologic Jul 18, 2015 1:10 pm

I created two new Twitter handles for this purpose: @TravelCudos and @MyTravelGripes. Follow me and I'll follow you back. Thanks for correction on @AmericanAir. I think BA is @British_Airways.

ryan182 Jul 18, 2015 1:27 pm

Originally Posted by RogerD408 (Post 25136828)
When you do the DM to give them specifics of your issue you would provide identifying info which will go into their CRM system and tie the two together. SPG does this with FT issues to tie your FT username to your SPG account. And I'm sure many others do too.

It wouldn't surprise me if the "proprietary system" she mentioned was a frontend to Twitter to bring up all your past Tweets but account info with service recoveries and eagle rating. We are still in the Info Age.

Originally Posted by JonNYC (Post 25136865)
You can't add your twitter handle, but you "link" i with them once and they'll have it going forward.

Additional functionality/advantage of DMing them from the App if you're EP.

No, it's not automated in that way you have to give them your AAdv # one time, no system automatically linking them exists.

Thanks that makes sense.