Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Using AA Twitter social media team: how, what, when (master thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 11, 2016, 2:34 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
American Airlines has eliminated direct contact with American Airlines Customer Relations other than using the e-form via aa.com or Phoenix "snail mail" address (link).

At the same time, AA has turned more toward social media for customer contact. The Twitter team seems to be empowered to handle a number of issues, though there are still some limitations. Securing PNRs for partner airlines or codeshares operated by AA, OSO / IROPS, misposting of Miles, etc. seem to be tasks they can do easily.

The latest iterations of the American Airlines app for iOS and Android have a Twitter contact function (2018).

Please feel free to edit or update / add to this wikipost as we learn more about the capabilities of the @AmericanAir Twitter team.

Link to YouTube video: #SocialBell: Tips for Social Engagement feat. American Airlines

Frequently Asked Questions / FAQ

Q. How do I use this channel of communication?

You must first sign up for a (free) Twitter account. When you do, Subscribe to the AA Twitter channel: @AmericanAir.

Note: Getting assistance from Twitter for a specific reservation can be improved by communicating with them by using the DM / Direct Message (like FT PM) system, where you can include your PNR and details privately - and your AAdvantage number and EP status so they can link it with your Twitter profile.

Any Twitter account can send @AmericanAir a direct message. In the past, AA had to be following you for you to send them a DM; this is no longer true.

Q. How can they help?
@AmericanAir can assist with OSO (Off-Schedule Operations - IROPS "IRROPS") when it might otherwise take a long time to get a response from the telephone desk employees. There are many things that @AmericanAir can do when time is of the essence; read posts below for more.

Q. Can I report service issues?
Certainly.

Q. Can I laud or compliment excellent service?
Certainly. The Twitter team will log these and for AA employees (including employees of wholly owned subsidiaries, but not contractor employees) and pass on compliments to supervisors, who will add them to the employee's personnel record.
As posted by samm, “They proactively associate AAdvantage profiles with twitter handles and maintain them, so they know who you are and where you're traveling as soon as you begin the conversation.”

Other possible uses include getting e-ticket numbers for Awards, PNRs for other airlines on your itinerary, seat changes, Award redeposit after cancellations, etc. Cimplicated reaccommodation issues and the like might be easier to handle with a telephone agent, but if there are massive OSO / IROPS, try the Twitter team; response is generally very fast.

Resources:
Contacting American Airlines Customer Relations & Complaint, Issues (master thread)

AA Twitter Team Kudos and Customer Experience
Please share your customer experiences with @AmericanAir, the AA Twitter team, here.

For further information on using the AA Twitter team, please see Using AA Twitter social media team: how, what, when (master thd)
Print Wikipost

Using AA Twitter social media team: how, what, when (master thread)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7, 2017, 3:00 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Dieuwer
Yes, I used DM. Still, takes a long time. I guess AA is swamped
I can think of 2 really, really good reasons for that.
Old Jan 7, 2017, 3:01 pm

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
I never got a response to the last direct message I sent them with a request. This was on Wednesday early morning this week; I don't believe AA was particularly swamped at that time. (Could be wrong, but neither PHL nor DFW had weather issues at the time.)

It it would be a shame if Twitter is no longer a useful tool for dealing with simple issues with AA.
Old Jan 7, 2017, 3:04 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by ashill
It it would be a shame if Twitter is no longer a useful tool for dealing with simple issues with AA.
There seems to be increasing albeit anecdotal indications that that's the case in my view.
Old Jan 7, 2017, 3:56 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by JonNYC
I can think of 2 really, really good reasons for that.
I just got rebooked at the airport. Different airport but close enough.
Old Jan 7, 2017, 4:43 pm
Suspended

Programs: SkyMiles, AAdvantage, TrueBlue, Rapid Rewards, Global Entry
Pretty quick phone agents/Twitter messaging today all things considered. At least I am leaving from and arriving at the same airports albeit a day late.
Old Jan 7, 2017, 5:33 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL DM, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by JonNYC
There seems to be increasing albeit anecdotal indications that that's the case in my view.
+1 -- I get way more "Please call the EXP line" responses than I used to. Stark contrast to DMing @Delta, who can handle most basic things and even some more complicated ones regarding upgrades and awards...
Old Jan 7, 2017, 7:07 pm

Programs: Virtuoso, FSPP, RC STARS, Rosewood Elite, Bellini, SPG LP, Dorchester Diamond, PenClub
I also had an issue getting from DFW to BOS today. Sent a DM to the Twitter team as I was boarding my AA connecting flight to DFW which was without wifi and also, obviously, without the ability to make calls. I offered a suggested itinerary and I was hopeful that they could find me some first class space. But as per my last five or so attempts at getting their help, I got a message suggesting I call. I let them know that I missed being able to work with them, especially in situations where I literally had no other options.

That was my last attempt at believing I could get help from the AA Twitter team. Further cementing my free agency for 2017.
Old Jan 7, 2017, 7:33 pm

Programs: AA EP | UA 1K
Originally Posted by luxtrvlwrks
I also had an issue getting from DFW to BOS today. Sent a DM to the Twitter team as I was boarding my AA connecting flight to DFW which was without wifi and also, obviously, without the ability to make calls. I offered a suggested itinerary and I was hopeful that they could find me some first class space. But as per my last five or so attempts at getting their help, I got a message suggesting I call. I let them know that I missed being able to work with them, especially in situations where I literally had no other options.

That was my last attempt at believing I could get help from the AA Twitter team. Further cementing my free agency for 2017.
your situations seemed too overly complex to be solved in a 140 character message.
Old Jan 7, 2017, 7:44 pm

Programs: Virtuoso, FSPP, RC STARS, Rosewood Elite, Bellini, SPG LP, Dorchester Diamond, PenClub
Originally Posted by Col Ronson
your situations seemed too overly complex to be solved in a 140 character message.
Why? Because I was asking them to change my flights? I gave them my record locator, the flight numbers I wanted, and class of service. They didn't say my flights were sold out. They said we can't help you.

And what a perfect way to be able to help a customer in need it would be. Yes, to expect them to find an alternate routing not already suggested by me might be a bit much, but only because I have low expectations.

I want the Twitter team to be able to assist me with clear requests that I am unable to resolve myself. It could also be a chat tool, or email, but getting help on the phone is often the most impossible form of communication for customers to use.
Old Jan 7, 2017, 7:44 pm

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Originally Posted by Col Ronson
Direct messages are not limited to 140 characters and haven't been for some time. But it is certainly true that Twitter is most effective for relatively simple queries.
Old Aug 27, 2017, 8:27 pm

Programs: AA EXP (LT Plat 2MM), Marriott Plat, IHG Plat, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Plat, SPG Plat75, UA1K
Arrow AA Twitter Team: Kudos, Customer Experience

So, bit of a mileage (or really EQD) run yesterday and today. Hasn't been the smoothest travel experience:

ORD-DFW delayed about 90mins on Saturday almost causing a misconnect to the 787-9 flight that I scored a UDU on

Awful LAX arrival experience (got Gate 344 + shuttle to T4)

Delayed out of LAX on AA1088, broken seat + arrival delay due to weather + sketchy Panasonic Wi-Fi

Delayed departure out of Miami due to crew / no PDB'S despite plenty of time and empty aisle

Sent Tweets out to AA and they came through:

- blocked back-up for the delayed DFW-LAX leg and protected my upgrade on the new flight (but wasn't needed)

- kept in touch once I DM'd the delay

- when I tweeted about the issues on 1088 asked for DM with details

- when I included details about the MIA-ORD issues, they asked for details, apologized and gave me 5K miles.

The best part (to me) was they followed up, thanked me and even referenced travel coming up in the next 10 days.

Now, I get my issues are nowhere near what friends and colleagues are facing in Houston. I am just putting it it there that they actually tried to help and appeared to care.

Last edited by ORDPLATAA; Aug 29, 2017 at 1:53 pm
Old Aug 29, 2017, 11:06 am

the one time I tried tweeting a DM to AA I got absolutely ZERO response or answer.
Old Aug 29, 2017, 11:26 am

Location: USA & UK -- AA EXP 3.5MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by LovePrunes
the one time I tried tweeting a DM to AA I got absolutely ZERO response or answer.
I'm in the same boat. Whenever I try to use Twitter to contact an airline, hotel, rent-car company, etc, I never get a reply.

Can someone outline exactly how to Twitter the AA folks, in simple steps so that us Non-Tweeters can understand it?
Old Aug 29, 2017, 11:39 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by CloudCoder
I'm in the same boat. Whenever I try to use Twitter to contact an airline, hotel, rent-car company, etc, I never get a reply.

Can someone outline exactly how to Twitter the AA folks, in simple steps so that us Non-Tweeters can understand it?
Please see Using AA Twitter social media team: how, what, when (master thd). The information you seek is in the Wikipost.
JonNYC likes this.
Old Aug 29, 2017, 11:48 am

Programs: MAR AMB, WOH Explorist, AA EXP, UA 2P
Never gotten any sort of consideration due to a complaint sent to them besides "we'll pass this along." They are fairly good with protecting and delays.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.