Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Using AA Twitter social media team: how, what, when (master thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 11, 2016, 2:34 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
American Airlines has eliminated direct contact with American Airlines Customer Relations other than using the e-form via aa.com or Phoenix "snail mail" address (link).

At the same time, AA has turned more toward social media for customer contact. The Twitter team seems to be empowered to handle a number of issues, though there are still some limitations. Securing PNRs for partner airlines or codeshares operated by AA, OSO / IROPS, misposting of Miles, etc. seem to be tasks they can do easily.

The latest iterations of the American Airlines app for iOS and Android have a Twitter contact function (2018).

Please feel free to edit or update / add to this wikipost as we learn more about the capabilities of the @AmericanAir Twitter team.

Link to YouTube video: #SocialBell: Tips for Social Engagement feat. American Airlines

Frequently Asked Questions / FAQ

Q. How do I use this channel of communication?

You must first sign up for a (free) Twitter account. When you do, Subscribe to the AA Twitter channel: @AmericanAir.

Note: Getting assistance from Twitter for a specific reservation can be improved by communicating with them by using the DM / Direct Message (like FT PM) system, where you can include your PNR and details privately - and your AAdvantage number and EP status so they can link it with your Twitter profile.

Any Twitter account can send @AmericanAir a direct message. In the past, AA had to be following you for you to send them a DM; this is no longer true.

Q. How can they help?
@AmericanAir can assist with OSO (Off-Schedule Operations - IROPS "IRROPS") when it might otherwise take a long time to get a response from the telephone desk employees. There are many things that @AmericanAir can do when time is of the essence; read posts below for more.

Q. Can I report service issues?
Certainly.

Q. Can I laud or compliment excellent service?
Certainly. The Twitter team will log these and for AA employees (including employees of wholly owned subsidiaries, but not contractor employees) and pass on compliments to supervisors, who will add them to the employee's personnel record.
As posted by samm, “They proactively associate AAdvantage profiles with twitter handles and maintain them, so they know who you are and where you're traveling as soon as you begin the conversation.”

Other possible uses include getting e-ticket numbers for Awards, PNRs for other airlines on your itinerary, seat changes, Award redeposit after cancellations, etc. Cimplicated reaccommodation issues and the like might be easier to handle with a telephone agent, but if there are massive OSO / IROPS, try the Twitter team; response is generally very fast.

Resources:
Contacting American Airlines Customer Relations & Complaint, Issues (master thread)

AA Twitter Team Kudos and Customer Experience
Please share your customer experiences with @AmericanAir, the AA Twitter team, here.

For further information on using the AA Twitter team, please see Using AA Twitter social media team: how, what, when (master thd)
Print Wikipost

Using AA Twitter social media team: how, what, when (master thread)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 7, 2015, 1:49 am

Programs: QFF
They are helpful and usually quick to respond, if they understand the issue you are talking about.

I've had times where they are very quick at fixing a problem that other contact methods refused to, but at others they've been quick to push me off to someone else.
A few months ago, I asked them if they could confirm what aircraft type was operating a flight (provided flight number, route and date) as timetable, booking and travel paperwork all said different things. Rather then hitting a few keys on their computer and answering the question, they said "call reservations".
Old Dec 7, 2015, 5:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by Himeno
They are helpful and usually quick to respond, if they understand the issue you are talking about.

I've had times where they are very quick at fixing a problem that other contact methods refused to, but at others they've been quick to push me off to someone else.
A few months ago, I asked them if they could confirm what aircraft type was operating a flight (provided flight number, route and date) as timetable, booking and travel paperwork all said different things. Rather then hitting a few keys on their computer and answering the question, they said "call reservations".
Just like any group of people there will be good ones and not so good ones. Sounds like your request got to one of the latter. Maybe a form of HUCA (TAL, tweet again later) will get you a better agent.

Generally sounds like the social media team has a much better customer satisfaction rating than the web team.
Old Dec 8, 2015, 1:11 am
Suspended

Twitter is definitely meant for more pressing requests. A guy on there today complained about a schedule change that would cost him a 5-hour wait. The AA Twitter team dutifully responded ... only to find out the guy's flight is in April.
Old Feb 11, 2016, 11:37 am

Programs: UA 1K, AS MVPG, DL GM, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Kudos to the AA Twitter Team

I just wanted to start a thread to say I'm quite impressed with the AA Twitter team - the response time has been incredible and their abilities are impressive (SWUs, IROPs, schedule changes, etc). Having flown DL a lot I know their customer service is great but the Twitter team at AA is giving DL a run for their money 😊 Keep up the good work! Hope others have similar experiences!
Old Feb 11, 2016, 11:39 am
Suspended

God knows, they are all we have left.
Old Feb 11, 2016, 11:43 am

DL twitter team is awesome.
Old Feb 11, 2016, 12:18 pm

Programs: AA Plat, SPG/Marriot Gold, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Expl
Originally Posted by dabu
^

Saved me on numerous occasions in IROP or when I needed flight changes, sometimes even before landing.

AA Twitter team is getting better, IME, but not quite as quick and empowered as @DeltaAssist.
Old Feb 11, 2016, 12:22 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by dabu
Reportedly less so than when it was first started.
Old Feb 11, 2016, 1:21 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, MR Gold, Avis Pref
Can you guys give some examples of how AA Twitter helps you?

I have had a twitter account for five months. I signed up strictly to get school information for my kids as this is their primary means of communications especially for sports.

I have never sent a tweet and have only followed four school twitter accounts.

Would I have to follow AA in order to get a benefit? if yes, then I presume I will be bombarded with AA tweets 24/7 (or am I wrong)?
Old Feb 11, 2016, 1:36 pm

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Originally Posted by TrojanHorse
Can you guys give some examples of how AA Twitter helps you?

I have had a twitter account for five months. I signed up strictly to get school information for my kids as this is their primary means of communications especially for sports.

I have never sent a tweet and have only followed four school twitter accounts.

Would I have to follow AA in order to get a benefit? if yes, then I presume I will be bombarded with AA tweets 24/7 (or am I wrong)?
The main use is for things that I used to have to call reservations for that are relatively straightforward. Things like "my flight is delayed and I'll miss my connection; please rebook/protect me on AA XXXX". "Please add a lap infant NAME DATE OF BIRTH to PNR XXX" (one I use every trip these days!). "Please request an upgrade for PNR XXX and companion on PNR YYY". "Please put the passenger on PNR YYY in the elite seat next to me (PNR XXX)." Basically any request you can write down in a sentence or two that doesn't involve ticketing or money exchanging hands. (All handled by direct message, not public tweets.) All things that are annoying to call and sit in a queue for (or even devote my full attention to).

I can't remember if you still have to follow AA for them to be able to direct message you and have them follow you to be able to direct message them; that used to be the case, but Twitter changed their rules a few months (years?) ago. If you can't direct message them, follow them and send them a public Tweet asking them to follow you and they will.

Yes, if you follow them, their public Tweets (anything that doesn't begin with a Twitter user who you don't follow) will show up in your feed. Any Tweets by @AmericanAir directed to a specific user (begin with @userX) will not appear in your feed. But they don't Tweet publicly all that much; a handful per day.

I've used Alaska, Delta, and AA's Twitter teams a good bit over the last few years; they're all very good. I wouldn't say one is appreciably better than the others.
Old Feb 15, 2016, 8:28 am

Programs: AA Gold, AS, HA, CX, AF, BA, UA, HH
Originally Posted by Himeno

Contacted them via DM asking for help with reroute via DFW - MAD - ATH because of a flight schedule cancellation / change that customer service wants to reroute through LHR for more $ even though this was an involuntary cancellation. Got this response:
"Please give our office a call to discuss the changes you'd like to make for your itinerary."
Old Feb 15, 2016, 8:40 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by elc2414
Contacted them via DM asking for help with reroute via DFW - MAD - ATH because of a flight schedule cancellation / change that customer service wants to reroute through LHR for more $ even though this was an involuntary cancellation. Got this response:
"Please give our office a call to discuss the changes you'd like to make for your itinerary."
I've had that response as well.

It seems they're not interested in getting involved in more routine issues that are less than immediate, so they'll refer to the AAdvantage Customer Service for those.
Old Feb 19, 2016, 9:18 pm

Programs: AA CK, Marriott Platinum, Hertz PC
AA Social Media / AAdvantage linking

The folks at the @AmericanAir Twitter handle are always very nice, and if I tweet or DM me then they directly respond, including details about my flight or account.

It's a nice thing to happen especially during IRROPs when the EXP desk might have a 90 minute wait.

Does anyone know how they track customers on social media? Do they have the details of all customers who are active on Twitter or elsewhere? Or is this just for folks who are active on SM?
Old Feb 19, 2016, 9:59 pm

Programs: AA EP
Once u tweet in and they can identify you, they link ur AAdvantage number to your @name for future reference.
Old Feb 20, 2016, 6:44 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by jmappleby
The folks at the @AmericanAir Twitter handle are always very nice, and if I tweet or DM me then they directly respond, including details about my flight or account.

It's a nice thing to happen especially during IRROPs when the EXP desk might have a 90 minute wait.

Does anyone know how they track customers on social media? Do they have the details of all customers who are active on Twitter or elsewhere? Or is this just for folks who are active on SM?
Originally Posted by AAExecPlatFlier
Once u tweet in and they can identify you, they link ur AAdvantage number to your @name for future reference.
Not exactly. Please read the wikipost for the information on how to use the DM system to establish recognition. The DM system, once they have you identified, is the best way to communicate and keep your information (name, PNR, etc.) private.

OP, we've merged your query into the existing thread concerning @AmericanAir and Twitter.

/Moderator

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.