Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Using AA Twitter social media team: how, what, when (master thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 11, 2016, 2:34 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
American Airlines has eliminated direct contact with American Airlines Customer Relations other than using the e-form via aa.com or Phoenix "snail mail" address (link).

At the same time, AA has turned more toward social media for customer contact. The Twitter team seems to be empowered to handle a number of issues, though there are still some limitations. Securing PNRs for partner airlines or codeshares operated by AA, OSO / IROPS, misposting of Miles, etc. seem to be tasks they can do easily.

The latest iterations of the American Airlines app for iOS and Android have a Twitter contact function (2018).

Please feel free to edit or update / add to this wikipost as we learn more about the capabilities of the @AmericanAir Twitter team.

Link to YouTube video: #SocialBell: Tips for Social Engagement feat. American Airlines

Frequently Asked Questions / FAQ

Q. How do I use this channel of communication?

You must first sign up for a (free) Twitter account. When you do, Subscribe to the AA Twitter channel: @AmericanAir.

Note: Getting assistance from Twitter for a specific reservation can be improved by communicating with them by using the DM / Direct Message (like FT PM) system, where you can include your PNR and details privately - and your AAdvantage number and EP status so they can link it with your Twitter profile.

Any Twitter account can send @AmericanAir a direct message. In the past, AA had to be following you for you to send them a DM; this is no longer true.

Q. How can they help?
@AmericanAir can assist with OSO (Off-Schedule Operations - IROPS "IRROPS") when it might otherwise take a long time to get a response from the telephone desk employees. There are many things that @AmericanAir can do when time is of the essence; read posts below for more.

Q. Can I report service issues?
Certainly.

Q. Can I laud or compliment excellent service?
Certainly. The Twitter team will log these and for AA employees (including employees of wholly owned subsidiaries, but not contractor employees) and pass on compliments to supervisors, who will add them to the employee's personnel record.
As posted by samm, “They proactively associate AAdvantage profiles with twitter handles and maintain them, so they know who you are and where you're traveling as soon as you begin the conversation.”

Other possible uses include getting e-ticket numbers for Awards, PNRs for other airlines on your itinerary, seat changes, Award redeposit after cancellations, etc. Cimplicated reaccommodation issues and the like might be easier to handle with a telephone agent, but if there are massive OSO / IROPS, try the Twitter team; response is generally very fast.

Resources:
Contacting American Airlines Customer Relations & Complaint, Issues (master thread)

AA Twitter Team Kudos and Customer Experience
Please share your customer experiences with @AmericanAir, the AA Twitter team, here.

For further information on using the AA Twitter team, please see Using AA Twitter social media team: how, what, when (master thd)
Print Wikipost

Using AA Twitter social media team: how, what, when (master thread)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 18, 2015, 1:37 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by nologic
I created two new Twitter handles for this purpose: @TravelCudos and @MyTravelGripes. Follow me and I'll follow you back. Thanks for correction on @AmericanAir. I think BA is @British_Airways.
Cudos? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cudos Maybe you meant kudos?

I follow no one (definitely nothing personal!)-- I only follow AA to be able to DM them.

Also, my personal recommendation would be NOT to have a twitter handle of "MyTravelGripes" for this purpose.

But, YMMV on all!

Originally Posted by ryan182
Thanks that makes sense.
A pleasure!
Old Jul 18, 2015, 3:13 pm

Programs: AAdvantage EXP, IHG Spire, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by JonNYC
Originally Posted by AANYC1981
Good to know! I've been putting off Twitter for so long but this plus my colleagues telling me how great it is for service issues in general (hello Time Warner Cable!) will probably push me to get on it.
I despise Twitter-- and am certainly not "above" it or anything, i.e I like Facebook and instagram-- but I personally find Twitter to be vapid, clunky and obsolete.*

That said, YES, *definitley* use Twitter to address AA-- I can be bizzarely effective!

BTW, the first time you send a DM to the Twitter team, give them your AAdv #, then in subsequent contacts they'll already have your Twitter handle linked to your AAdv account. @:-)

* even though I despise it, I do use it occasionally to send out time-sensitive and or very actionable/interesting AAdv stuff: https://twitter.com/xjonnyc if anyone's inclined.
Ive tweeted/dm AA prolly 10-15 times over the past 3 years with huge success. I once dm them from the air after i left my keys hanging from an AC locker. They tweeted me back 15 mins later not only telling me thet found my keys but the agent theyd be with the next day based on my arrival schedule.

Ive had them look up flight details and even coordinated a rebooking during Icemageddon.

Ive received nothing short of outstanding work during my interaction.
Old Jul 18, 2015, 9:04 pm

Programs: AA Explat, UA 1K
If you're EP, most definitely as there is additional functionality for EPs using Twitter to address issues to/with AA-- very valuable.

An EP, in particular, would be nuts not to use Twitter for this reason.

BTW, they will match up your AADv identity with your twitter identity and you'll get even better service via twitter, regardless of EP or not.
I've also had excellent responses from the AA twitter team. They're friendly and extremely helpful, both in routine requests and IRROPS.

That said, what additional functionality do ExPlat members receive via twitter? Can you elaborate JonNYC?
Old Jul 18, 2015, 10:00 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by skit53
I've also had excellent responses from the AA twitter team. They're friendly and extremely helpful, both in routine requests and IRROPS.

That said, what additional functionality do ExPlat members receive via twitter? Can you elaborate JonNYC?
If you DM from the AA app as an EP there are automatically appended hashtags to let the twitter team know the message is from an EP.

Although as mentioned you can also link with your Twitter handle (by letting them know you're an EP on your first contact with them, then they'll have that every time.

But definitely try the Twitter DM from the AA app feature as an EP. All EPs should use twitter to contact AA for these reasons-- a few examples above, and 100's of more out there of exceptional service provided via Twitter.

Last edited by JonNYC; Jul 18, 2015 at 10:16 pm
Old Jul 19, 2015, 3:01 am

Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, SPG PLT, Marriott PLT, Shangri-La Diamond
Personally the app is my secret weapon for IRROPS when in the air -- If I know a flight is going to be late (or even better early as the AA 137/138 to HKG is usually +/- 2-3 hours) I will DM and ask to be moved to the appropriate flight. This is so much easier than risking it once we land or rushing to a gate to try and get on the standby list. Obviously if I am on the ground I will still call to be rebooked but this is perfect for those 30k feet issues.
Old Jul 19, 2015, 6:19 am
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
This brings up an interesting question.....obviously Twitter is best while in the air but once on land which is more effective: EXP desk or Twitter? Or which one is better for which circumstances?
Old Jul 19, 2015, 7:45 am

If you DM from the AA app as an EP there are automatically appended hashtags to let the twitter team know the message is from an EP.

Although as mentioned you can also link with your Twitter handle (by letting them know you're an EP on your first contact with them, then they'll have that every time.

But definitely try the Twitter DM from the AA app feature as an EP. All EPs should use twitter to contact AA for these reasons-- a few examples above, and 100's of more out there of exceptional service provided via Twitter.
Good to know!

Now if only the twitter team could book and make changes to award tickets, that would be impressive.
Old Jul 19, 2015, 7:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Another question about airborne contact. There are some websites that are open to all on GoGo, like AA.com, does the app or Twitter also go through without having to pay for a connection?
Old Jul 19, 2015, 8:08 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum (3MM), QF Lifetime Gold, Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum, Ex-Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by ryan182
Thanks that makes sense.
It takes a village. Retweet my post @MyTravelGripes.
Old Jul 20, 2015, 8:17 am

Originally Posted by RogerD408
Another question about airborne contact. There are some websites that are open to all on GoGo, like AA.com, does the app or Twitter also go through without having to pay for a connection?
Good question. I don't think it works without paying for gogo.
Old Jul 20, 2015, 9:47 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum; UA; Delta; SW; Hilton
BTW...If you tweet AA and ask them to "follow" you, you can have a direct / private conversation. They are usually very responsive and you won't have to use the public forum if you prefer a private chat.
Old Jul 20, 2015, 3:22 pm

Programs: American AAdvantage
Originally Posted by AANYC1981
Just joined! Between Facebook and Instagram though I can't imagine doing much on Twitter unless reporting failures/issues. It's almost a full time job keeping up with all the social media outlets. I've already noticed a few other EP friends have gotten very timely help from the Twitter team from looking through their comments/issues.
Once you grabbed their attention, they follow your account and ask you to DM them back so not to have PNR info in public view. At that point, you can change your account to private.
Old Jul 20, 2015, 3:52 pm

Programs: AAdvantage EXP, IHG Spire, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by Sant
Once you grabbed their attention, they follow your account and ask you to DM them back so not to have PNR info in public view. At that point, you can change your account to private.
I've always just private messaged/direct messaged AA. I've never done anything public and never will. No reason to. They've responded within minutes to all of my DM's.
Old Dec 6, 2015, 10:35 pm
SK

Question

I've been on Twitter for years, but only to follow things I am interested in. I've never messaged anyone. But all this talk about Twitter being the best way to contact AA has made me look more into Twitter.

The messaging thing is very confusing to me, as there is contradictory information on the web. My account is private (and I want it to remain that way). I follow AA. Will AA see my message (since they obviously don't follow me)?* How will AA be able to respond to my message?

*Twitter's own help says that "You can start a private conversation or create a group conversation with anyone who follows you".

Originally Posted by imapilotaz
I've always just private messaged/direct messaged AA. I've never done anything public and never will. No reason to. They've responded within minutes to all of my DM's.
Old Dec 6, 2015, 10:47 pm

Programs: AA Plat, CX Silver
Originally Posted by SK
I've been on Twitter for years, but only to follow things I am interested in. I've never messaged anyone. But all this talk about Twitter being the best way to contact AA has made me look more into Twitter.

The messaging thing is very confusing to me, as there is contradictory information on the web. My account is private (and I want it to remain that way). I follow AA. Will AA see my message (since they obviously don't follow me)?* How will AA be able to respond to my message?

*Twitter's own help says that "You can start a private conversation or create a group conversation with anyone who follows you".
You can configure a Twitter account to accept DMs from anyone regardless of follow status. That feature was built with customer service accounts in mind.

Twitter is pushing this use case hard: https://blog.twitter.com/2015/twitter-customer-service

Last edited by txflyer77; Dec 6, 2015 at 10:52 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.