Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

LUS: Who flew last US flight? (US 1939 Lv SFO 10 pm 16 Oct 2015)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 10, 2015, 1:17 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Who is flying / flew US 1939, the final US Airways flight?

For a reminiscence opportunity, see LUS: Dinner with US FA "GalleyWench" Tue 27 Oct 6 PM Lowell, NC

16 Oct 2015: US 1939 Lv PHL 10:05 am, - Ar CLT 12:04 pm; Lv CLT 2:35 pm - Ar PHX 4:01 pm;
Lv PHX 5:10 pm - Ar SFO 7:12 pm; Lv SFO 9:55 pm - Arv PHL 6:18 am+ (17 Oct)

Originally Posted by SFOPhD
The last US Airways flight was numbered US1939 to commemorate the operational start year of All American Aviation, the company that preceded Allegheny and US Airways.

To celebrate the end of the US Airways name, US1939 was given as the flight number to PHL-CLT (10:05 AM), CLT-PHX (2:35 PM), PHX-SFO (5:10 PM) and SFO-PHL (9:55 PM). Events were be held at all four stops, which include major hubs. Details as reported by the OMAAT blog (http://onemileatatime.boardingarea.c...irways-flight/).

I for one will be on the PHX-SFO leg. I'll try to say hello to those of you strong enough to do the redeye!
Originally Posted by swag
The farewell flight for US Airways will be a red-eye — Flight 434 1939 is scheduled to leave San Francisco around 10 p.m. and land in Philadelphia after 6 a.m. on Oct 17.

http://news.yahoo.com/last-flight-us...--finance.html
philly.com 25 Aug article with historical info: http://www.philly.com/philly/busines...lgia_trip.html

Special events are to be held at all four hubs, PHL, CLT, PHX, SFO. Past CEO Ed Colodny will fly SFO-PHL.

Please list FT handle and details you wish to share, e.g. which sector you're flying, cabin and seat, ability to guest at SFO Admirals Club, etc.)

• Captain Flush
  • charbroiled
  • CNMAZ (PHX-SFO leg)
  • cool_xp2002
  • dciandy
  • freqflyercoll (SFO-PHL, can guest to SFO AC)
  • LukasVIE (SFO-PHL, can guest to SFO and PHL ACs)
  • Milz02315 (SFO-PHL, can guest to SFO and PHL ACs 6-10 am)
  • SFOPhD (PHX-SFO)
  • VolansFortunae
  • a330300 (SFO-PHL in Y, can guest to SFO and PHL ACs upon arrival)
  • mtvesuvius (PHX-SFO, might be able to guest at SFO)

Etc.

Note the thread Saying "Goodbye" to US Airways - tributes, photo essays, etc.

Print Wikipost

LUS: Who flew last US flight? (US 1939 Lv SFO 10 pm 16 Oct 2015)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 19, 2015, 4:44 pm

Programs: DL DM/2MM, MR Ambassador, National EE
Originally Posted by NYCommuter
My AA FC experience was nice, but otherwise I always thought that US was a nicer airline; the US Clubs are SO much nicer. I was shocked at how bad the AA Club at EWR was, for example.
I like a lot of things about AA but the AC is not at the top of my list. Been back in DL's SCs recently and the difference between SC and AC has been rather startling (appearance, food, and especially comp alcohol choices!)... hoping that the recently announced AC enhancements will get them back to par because they are coming in a distant 2nd place at the moment IMO... YMMV...
Old Jul 19, 2015, 5:52 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum Elite, National Executive Elite
Booked an AAnytime award to avoid the now obscene cost in dollars.

Since I have a bed to go back into when I land in Philadelphia, I just had to book a seat.
Old Jul 20, 2015, 6:31 am

Originally Posted by krlcomm
recently announced AC enhancements
Explain? Are you talking about the "extreme lounge makeover"? That didn't seem to give any indication to me that complimentary F&B would be improving. Whenever they refer to "better food" it usually ends up being about the for-purchase options.
Old Jul 20, 2015, 8:43 pm

Programs: UA Silv, IHG Plat, HH Gold, WN A-List
I won't be on the last ever, but I'll be doing IAH-PHX-PDX on the 16th October. My first ever (and last ever chance) US Airways flight. My return is on the 19th, and after logging into my account at US Airways website, I see they've now moved my return trip over to AA, as only the outbound flight segments show up.

Hope I don't have any hiccups; didn't know this was the cut off date when I made this booking!
Old Jul 22, 2015, 4:00 pm

Just listed in Y for the last flight. In case anyone is interested, there's a hidden city route through SBY for $400. I'll nonrev back home from SBY but I know many don't have that luxury.

Last edited by charbroiled; Jul 22, 2015 at 4:06 pm
Old Jul 22, 2015, 8:10 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Delta GM, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, SPG Gold
Just booked myself.

FYI, You can also book SFO-PHL-YUL for $318. I'm sure someone will find it even cheaper.
Old Jul 23, 2015, 1:50 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by arlflyer
Yeah, I mean my previous post was going for humor, so a little hyperbole. But the way a lot of the legacy AA people talk, you would think that AA gave out bars of gold upon boarding and US makes you sit on a plank bench. The value that people attribute to 50-cent items like a napkin with a silly hole is hilarious. I'd rather have the US onboard product for free than the marginally-better AA product for $30 per 500 miles. And there were things that US always did better - the AA people were absolutely rejoicing when US Club soup made it over to the ACs. I like flying AA, but the whole "premium" talk that people always make about it is just a little silly in my opinion.
I dunno who "a lot" are, as I don't think that many old-time AAers (I've been flying AA since the 1940s, so I'm one of them,) haven't drunk that Kool Aid (or Flavor Aid, to be true to history); it is silly, indeed. It's just an airline; any "specialness" that may be around is basically about some of its people, and some decent products (77W/ 777-323ER, though not in coach).

I've added dciandy's updated information, changed the title and wiki to reflect it and added flyers of that flight. Feel free to add, etc. yourselves, of course.
Old Aug 13, 2015, 7:13 pm

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
First is now sold out on the flight!
Old Aug 17, 2015, 6:11 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Exploralist, Marriot Silver
US1939

The last US Airways flight will be numbered US1939 to commemorate the operational start year of All American Aviation, the company that preceded Allegheny and US Airways.

To celebrate the end of the US Airways name, US1939 will be given as the flight number to PHL-CLT (10:05 AM), CLT-PHX (2:35 PM), PHX-SFO (5:10 PM) and SFO-PHL (9:55 PM). Events will be held at all four stops, which include major hubs. Details as reported by the OMAAT blog (http://onemileatatime.boardingarea.c...irways-flight/).

I for one will be on the PHX-SFO leg. I'll try to say hello to those of you strong enough to do the redeye!
Old Aug 17, 2015, 7:17 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA *S, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Exp, IHG Plat, National EE, Sixt Plat
So it looks like US is running a full loop PHL-CLT-PHX-SFO-PHL, all numbered as flight 1939. If one were to book that full routing on one ticket, how many miles/segments would one earn?

I understand 'direct' flights AAA-BBB-CCC would only earn as if it were AAA-CCC, but what is the case with AAA-BBB-CCC-DDD-AAA?
Old Aug 17, 2015, 7:35 pm

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
http://www.airportspotting.com/final...ght-scheduled/
Old Aug 17, 2015, 9:10 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by sjpmurph01
So it looks like US is running a full loop PHL-CLT-PHX-SFO-PHL, all numbered as flight 1939. If one were to book that full routing on one ticket, how many miles/segments would one earn?

I understand 'direct' flights AAA-BBB-CCC would only earn as if it were AAA-CCC, but what is the case with AAA-BBB-CCC-DDD-AAA?
The way it has been working, if one were to book the entire flight set, one would earn: PHL-SFO+SFO-PHL. Or, 2x2,521=5,042.

Expect water cannon!
Old Aug 18, 2015, 12:36 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA *S, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Exp, IHG Plat, National EE, Sixt Plat
Originally Posted by JDiver
The way it has been working, if one were to book the entire flight set, one would earn: PHL-SFO+SFO-PHL. Or, 2x2,521=5,042.

Expect water cannon!
Your reply makes sense, and is exactly what I would expect to have happen (unless with my luck they considered CLT the turnaround point and credited only PHL-CLT-PHL).

However, I just got a phone call back from an email I sent to AA asking the same question. The rep, who was very nice, was also very clueless. At first she said that it would earn 5 segments (?!) and 5394 miles (not true!). I specifically questioned the fact that it's all on the same flight number. She put me on hold to go 'check with her supervisor.' When she came back she said it would earn 1 segment (probably not true!), but still the full 5394 miles (not true!), and that I could call after everything posts to have it adjusted to 5 segments no problem (ha!). She said that because I'd have to change planes at each airport (not true!) that the miles would still earn for each leg of the flight, and that the only time a connecting point would be ignored for the sake of crediting is when a plane makes a refueling stop (not true!).

I asked for an email response stating the above, and was told that wasn't possible because they can't do personally written email replies to customers (not true!). But she said she'd add a note to my reservation (which I don't have!) so that other agents could see it if I had to call back in the future.

I wish I could have made that up, but that is the conversation I actually just had. Again, very nice agent, but very, very wrong information on a number of fronts. I'm not likely to do this flight anyway, so I probably won't waste the time hunting down a correct answer, but for anyone else reading this, don't put any faith in the (mis)information above.
Old Aug 18, 2015, 5:56 pm

Programs: I miss US Airways
Originally Posted by sjpmurph01
and that I could call after everything posts to have it adjusted to 5 segments no problem (ha!).
IIRC...people had success for the 737-400 retirement flight #737 to call in and manually request all separate after the fact. I was on an award ticket for it though, so can't be certain, so maybe others can chime in.
Old Aug 18, 2015, 11:26 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, HHonors Silver, Hertz Five Star, Avis Preferred
I'm booked on the last PHX departure, US496 to DEN. It is scheduled todepart at the exact same time as the SFO-PHL flight (9:55pm), so I figure there's a 50/50 chance that it is the final US flight to depart.

Plus, it was $49. History at the right price for me.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.