Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Confirmed flight change with a first class ticket

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 4, 2015, 12:58 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL; AA LT Gold; AS 100K; DL MM GM; Hyatt G*list, Hilton Diamond; SQ silver

I have a memory that AA had, on the confirmed flight change page, that for first class tickets, if A was available, then change was possible.
I had a conversation with an agent and she claimed that E had to be available first and then she could put us back in A. So I went looking for the Web page where confirmed flight changes are discussed and I am not finding any mention of first class.
Does anyone have recent experience or a link to correct information?
Old Jul 4, 2015, 1:04 pm

Programs: AA EXP 3MM; LH FT (*A Silver); Marriott Rewards Platinum Elite; Starwood Corporate Preferred
The agent is correct. The same-day flight change first needs E to get you on the plane. That gets you into coach. Then if A if available they will put you into First. If it isn't then you are priority on the wait list.

The only time that doesn't apply is if you are in a true F ticket. A and P are (from what I can tell) all coach tickets with instant upgrades to First. So you have to get a coach seat before a first seat. Same with standing by at the airport....stand by is for coach and then you can try to upgrade back into F.
Old Jul 4, 2015, 1:51 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL; AA LT Gold; AS 100K; DL MM GM; Hyatt G*list, Hilton Diamond; SQ silver
I've heard of A being coach with upgrade, but in my case, I am on an international A fare. Would it make a difference?
Old Jul 4, 2015, 1:57 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
None. A tickets are magical. They are marketed and sold to an unsuspecting public as First Class until something happens, e.g., IRROPS or a voluntary change. That makes the Coach with an upgrade possible.

Both UA and DL do something similar.

Until DOT issues a rule requiring the marketing to match the practice, the confusion will continue.
Old Jul 4, 2015, 3:56 pm

Programs: DL DM/2MM, MR Ambassador, National EE
I buy mostly at P and A and one of the nice things about SDFC is that you can go to aa.com and see the flights that you can automatically SDFC on to there and it is a seamless process to change your flight. Also, had an awesome AAngel at LAX put me in to J on a 777 (an old one but I didn't care) on the direct LAX-MIA so I didn't have to connect in DFW last week. I didn't think this was possible but she told me that AA revenue told her that it was fine if space is available. Direct in an old 777 beats a connection every time, even if the DFW-MIA flight was in F on a 3-class 777... I got home almost 3 hours earlier so my A fare was pretty magical there!
Old Jul 4, 2015, 11:46 pm

Since when is SDFC a first class product? Everything I've seen about it states it's for main cabin tickets.
Old Jul 5, 2015, 12:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP / LT PLT / 3MM, Marriott LT Gold
AFAIK the fare rules for premium cabin tickets (even A and P tickets) allow for fee-free same-day changes, completely independent of CFC rules. But it's late, it's July 4, and mass quantities of alcohol have been consumed; so I could be wrong.

[Edited to add:] On the domestic portion of an international itinerary, I am not sure if the above applies. It all depends on the AAgent.
Old Jul 5, 2015, 1:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by AAExpDFW
The only time that doesn't apply is if you are in a true F ticket. A and P are (from what I can tell) all coach tickets with instant upgrades to First.
I have flown more or less monthly this year ICN-JFK or BOS with positive F cabin seating all the way. They have all been P fares.

Originally Posted by DeltaFlyingProf
I've heard of A being coach with upgrade, but in my case, I am on an international A fare. Would it make a difference?
RTW tix in the F cabin are A class (e.g., fare basis AONE3) and are positive F cabin space, not Y with an upgrade.
Old Jul 5, 2015, 7:25 am

Programs: AA Exec Platinum/MM, DL Gold/MM, Hilton Diamond, Accor Platinum, Hertz Presidents Circle
If you're holding an A ticket, whether purchased outright or via a SWU or miles+copay upgrade, you can do SDFC if there is A space available on another flight. I have had an agent tell me it was not possible in the case of an upgrade but it does work online.
Old Jul 5, 2015, 7:37 am
Suspended

"SDFC Premium Cabin" handling

Some info:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/541310...posted-public/
Old Jul 5, 2015, 1:13 pm

Originally Posted by Often1
None. A tickets are magical. They are marketed and sold to an unsuspecting public as First Class until something happens, e.g., IRROPS or a voluntary change. That makes the Coach with an upgrade possible.
This is not correct. There are many A and P fares (especially on international itineraries, as the OP clarifies in the message you are responding to) that have proper A or P fare basis, just as many discount business fares book into I or D. The most likely scenario for the OP is that they have bought an I fare that books into A for the domestic sectors, but this is a proper business class fare and isn't "magical" in any way. As JonNYC's posting makes clear, AA seems to treat these quite differently than the -UP fares that you are referring to.
Old Jul 5, 2015, 1:21 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by jordyn
This is not correct. There are many A and P fares (especially on international itineraries, as the OP clarifies in the message you are responding to) that have proper A or P fare basis, just as many discount business fares book into I or D. The most likely scenario for the OP is that they have bought an I fare that books into A for the domestic sectors, but this is a proper business class fare and isn't "magical" in any way. As JonNYC's posting makes clear, AA seems to treat these quite differently than the -UP fares that you are referring to.
I agree-- that info is outdated-> incorrect; that A fares are "Coach with an upgrade possible."

One, for the reason(s) you state and, two, even in the case that an -A- fare -is- an UP fare, quite a few months ago, this was added to "Schedule Irregularity (IROPS)"

UP Fares

 Domestic Itineraries - May book on AA / US Prime flight in the applicable upper cabin inventory.

 International Itineraries - May book on AA / US Prime flight and AA*/US/BA/IB/JL/AY Codeshare in the applicable upper cabin inventory

*If the above options are not acceptable agency may contact RES for assistance

 If the upper ticketed cabin is not available, rebook in lower cabin.
Old Jul 5, 2015, 2:44 pm
Original Poster

To clarify, my fare is an international A first class fare. (AL28SALE)
Unfortunately I had given up. But it seems I should have asked for a supervisor?
The fare rules do not have the language in the post by JonNYC.
What should I have done differently?
Or is SDFC not possible for the domestic part of an international ticket?
Old Jul 5, 2015, 3:05 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by DeltaFlyingProf
To clarify, my fare is an international A first class fare. (AL28SALE)
Unfortunately I had given up. But it seems I should have asked for a supervisor?
The fare rules do not have the language in the post by JonNYC.
What should I have done differently?
Or is SDFC not possible for the domestic part of an international ticket?
I don't have a definitely answer, unfortunately. This issue is the cause of _much_ confusion even within AA.

Some think that there must be language specifically allowing in the fare rules for your fare, i.e. :
PASSENGERS WHO PURCHASED TICKETS FOR FIRST OR BUSINESS OR COACH CLASS BOOKED IN Y/D/I/J/A/P/F INVENTORIES MAY USE SAME DAY FLIGHT CHANGE WITHOUT CHARGE AS NOTED BELOW.
Some feel that unless it's explicitly -excluded- you should be able to do it.

The link I posted above shows-- importantly-- that it's essentially not called SDFC if premium cabin but then goes on to tell agent how to notate the equivalent process for a premium fare. Even stating that there is a special dropdown in their system "SDFC premium cabin" to do the re-issue w/o cost.

So, definitely not a simple issue, to me anyway.
Old Jul 12, 2015, 4:39 pm

Programs: AAdvantage
Originally Posted by JonNYC
I don't have a definitely answer, unfortunately. This issue is the cause of _much_ confusion even within AA.

Some think that there must be language specifically allowing in the fare rules for your fare, i.e. :

Some feel that unless it's explicitly -excluded- you should be able to do it.

The link I posted above shows-- importantly-- that it's essentially not called SDFC if premium cabin but then goes on to tell agent how to notate the equivalent process for a premium fare. Even stating that there is a special dropdown in their system "SDFC premium cabin" to do the re-issue w/o cost.

So, definitely not a simple issue, to me anyway.
If it's an international fare, I don't think it would qualify for SDFC, even only the domestic portions if the governing fare basis is an international one. I would check the fare rules to be sure.

If it was solely a domestic itinerary, the fare rules usually contain language like this which clearly states that SDFC is available for free:

Code:
          ///---///---///---///---///---///---///---///---//   
          2. SAME DAY FLIGHT CHANGE/SDFC/                      
           A. ELIGIBILITY      	                               
            1.EXECUTIVE PLATINUM MEMBERS MAY USE SAME DAY      
              FLIGHT CHANGE WITHOUT CHARGE.                    
            2.PASSENGERS WHO PURCHASED TICKETS FOR FIRST       
              OR BUSINESS OR COACH CLASS BOOKED IN             
              Y/D/I/J/A/P/F INVENTORIES MAY USE SAME DAY       
              FLIGHT CHANGE WITHOUT CHARGE AS NOTED BELOW.     
            3.PASSENGERS TRAVELING WITHIN THE US48 WITH        
              FARE BASIS CODES ENDING IN 7 OR 8 OR 9 MAY       
              USE SAME DAY FLIGHT CHANGE FREE OF CHARGE        
              AS NOTED BELOW.  	                               
            4.ALL OTHER PASSENGERS PURCHASING COACH FARE       
              TICKETS BOOKED IN H/B/K/M/L/W/V/G/S/N/Q/O        
              INVENTORIES MAY CONFIRM TRAVEL USING SAME        
              DAY FLIGHT CHANGE FOR A NONREFUNDABLE            
              FEE /SEE AA.COM FOR DETAILS/.                    
          ///---///---///---///---///---///---///---///---//   
          B.SAME DAY FLIGHT CHANGE CONDITIONS FOR ELIG PSGRS   
           1.THE REQUEST FOR SDFC IS MADE WITHIN 24 HOURS OF   
             THE ALTERNATE FLIGHT/S DEPARTURE TIME.            
           2.THERE IS NO CHANGE TO THE ORIGIN/DESTINATION.     
           3.NEW FLIGHT/S/ AND ROUTING ARE PERMITTED PER THE   
             TICKETED FARE RULE.                               
           4.ALL TRAVEL IS ON AMERICAN AIRLINES/ AMERICAN      
             EAGLE AND AMERICAN CONNECTION.                    
           5.REQUESTS ARE MADE VIA AIRPORT SELF-SERVICE        
             CHECK-IN/ TICKET COUNTERS /INCLUDING ADMIRALS     
             CLUBS AND PREMIUM SERVICES/ OR BY CALLING AA      
             RESERVATIONS.     	                               
           6.CHANGES PERMITTED TO OUTBOUND OR CONTINUING/      
             RETURN FLIGHTS.   	                               
           7.CONFIRMATION IS SUBJECT TO AVAILABILITY.          
           8.ALTERNATE FLIGHT IS ON SAME TICKETED DATE.
It doesn't specify a particular premium inventory that has to be available (like E for economy), but I've been told that it needs to be the same inventory as ticketed.

Fortunately, as others have mentioned, AA no longer appears to be treating instant upgrades as somehow not being "real" premium cabin tickets.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.