Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Discussion: AA Catering still Disgusting (separate from description / menu threads)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Discussion: AA Catering still Disgusting (separate from description / menu threads)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 11, 2015, 6:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by Sant
Aren't the JFK/LAX flights on a higher pedestal compared to most other east coast/west coast flights? It's one of the few domestic flights with F, J and Y cabins. I wonder if the J cuisine on JFK/LAX route is comparable to what folks in outer routes get in F.
The JFK/LAX flights, while they are premier flights for AA, shouldn't be higher than, say, DFW/HKG. I flew that route four times this year in F and the food was consistently inedible.
Old Jun 11, 2015, 9:59 pm

I flew United First from EWR to ORD recently and must compliment United for serving a pretty tasty breakfast. To my surprise AA is so far behind now in terms of in-flight meal service. When it comes to AA, I also heard pxs complaining about the food and I heard many times flight attendants saying the same thing - the food served on AA flights (no matter the class of setvice) is inedible.
Old Jun 12, 2015, 5:36 am

Originally Posted by aero0729
I had a breakfast flight this morning. The food served was all vile. A quiche that tasted like a wet sponge, neighbor had oatmeal and said it wasn't any good. The potatoes were the worst potatoes I have ever tasted. There are only two things keeping me at AA. Value of miles and eVIP's. The onboard product is far below the competition. My recent UA/DL flights in First had food that tasted decent and was much fresher. Anyone else feel feel the same about this nasty food?
Never having tried to eat a wet sponge, I am unable to comment on this observation.
Old Jun 12, 2015, 6:23 am

Programs: AA EXP
Airline food, no matter what airline it is, foreign or domestic, has horrible food!

The only two things I have ever found that were worth eating on any of the flights I have been on (I wouldn't call it "good" either). That's choice of cereals that DL serves for breakfast and AA's ice cream Sunday's that were on flagship flights. Those are two items that are hard to mess up.

I.M.O. when it comes to food it is pretty black and white. It's either good or it's not. No matter the comparison. My taste buds and stomach do not have "airplane mode" so therefor there is no grey area for me.
Old Jun 12, 2015, 6:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by 0335th
Airline food, no matter what airline it is, foreign or domestic, has horrible food!
Completely disagree. There's some solid catering out there, it just is not found at AA.
Old Jun 12, 2015, 7:00 am

Programs: AS 100K
You have obviously never ridden TG, SQ, or JL in the front. In fact, at SQ, meal catering undergoes extraordinarily strict standards; many would even go so far as to consider it an art. Here, educate yourself: We Take You Behind The Scenes At Singapore Airlines
Old Jun 12, 2015, 7:14 am

Programs: AA EXP
It's all a matter of opinion.

I don't care how many articles are written or how educated you think you are on the subject. It's still personal taste and opinion.
Old Jun 12, 2015, 7:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I don't care how many articles are written or how educated you think you are on the subject. It's still personal taste and opinion.
I feel like it's pretty easy to differentiate between AA's domestic/intl catering and what is found on QR, CX, SQ, LX, EK, QF, JL, etc. in a premium cabin. I mean, I suppose if your personal taste preference is towards that of a deep frozen meal made in Laos 7 months ago, then yes, what AA serves is probably about on par with that of the rest of the superior airlines of the world.
Old Jun 12, 2015, 7:47 am

Programs: American AAdvantage

Exactly. While I had pleasant meals in Y on my QF LAX-SYD flights, others may never be happy what they received in F.

Do folks recall what AA coined their meal service in the 90s on the transcon flights? The name gave the impression that the meal service was similar to what one would get on international long-haul flights.
Old Jun 12, 2015, 8:14 am

Programs: UA Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Plat,
I just had the "steel cut oatmeal" on my flight this morning. It wasn't great but not bad either. Was expecting something more in line with Quaker instant oats, but this actually had the consistency of stove cooked oatmeal.

The fresh fruit and apple nut roll were pretty good, hard to screw that up.
Old Jun 12, 2015, 8:53 am
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by Blootch
I just had the "steel cut oatmeal" on my flight this morning. It wasn't great but not bad either. Was expecting something more in line with Quaker instant oats, but this actually had the consistency of stove cooked oatmeal.

The fresh fruit and apple nut roll were pretty good, hard to screw that up.
Is the steel cut oatmeal back to having fresh fruit you can put in it? My flight tomorrow morning still says it comes with dried fruit which is a dougie change. pmAA used to give you fresh berries to put in the oatmeal.
Old Jun 12, 2015, 9:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by AANYC1981
Is the steel cut oatmeal back to having fresh fruit you can put in it? My flight tomorrow morning still says it comes with dried fruit which is a dougie change. pmAA used to give you fresh berries to put in the oatmeal.
Pretty sure it's still the 'gourmet' dried fruit unless something has changed recently.
Old Jun 12, 2015, 10:04 am

Programs: AA EP | UA 1K
Originally Posted by aero0729
I had a breakfast flight this morning. The food served was all vile. A quiche that tasted like a wet sponge, neighbor had oatmeal and said it wasn't any good. The potatoes were the worst potatoes I have ever tasted. There are only two things keeping me at AA. Value of miles and eVIP's. The onboard product is far below the competition. My recent UA/DL flights in First had food that tasted decent and was much fresher. Anyone else feel feel the same about this nasty food?
My UA food offerings have been awful. I posted this before but check out this crap UA salad i had about a month ago: This was a hub-hub EWR-DEN.

And my salad on a much shorter LGA-ORD flight:

Presentation, and taste is much better on AA than UA in my opinion. But to each their own.
Old Jun 12, 2015, 10:12 am

Programs: American AAdvantage
Originally Posted by Col Ronson
My UA food offerings have been awful. I posted this before but check out this crap UA salad i had about a month ago: This was a hub-hub EWR-DEN.
Is that tofu?
Old Jun 12, 2015, 10:26 am

Programs: AA PLT 3MM, DL PM 2MM

The only two things I have ever found that were worth eating on any of the flights I have been on (I wouldn't call it "good" either). That's choice of cereals that DL serves for breakfast and AA's ice cream Sunday's that were on flagship flights. Those are two items that are hard to mess up.

I.M.O. when it comes to food it is pretty black and white. It's either good or it's not. No matter the comparison. My taste buds and stomach do not have "airplane mode" so therefor there is no grey area for me.
Fully agree. Usually avoid the meals domestically and keep it simple on international. Keep expectations low. Also generally airline food very high in salt and calories. Not the healthiest stuff.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.