Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Guide to AA Flagship First Dining Qualifications, Access & Related

Guide to AA Flagship First Dining Qualifications, Access & Related

Hide Wikipost
Old Apr 27, 22, 5:07 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: Prospero
Wiki Link
AA Flagship First Dining includes JFK, DFW, LAX, and MIA. The LAX facility is currently closed

This thread is for discussion of the new Flagship First Dining spaces within Admirals Club and Flagship Lounge complexes

Link to Flagship First Dining Terms and Conditions page on aa.com

Access
A customer with a same-day ticket on American or a oneworld® airline in the first class cabin on a qualifying international or transcontinental flight automatically has access to Flagship® First Dining, located within certain select Flagship® Lounges.

Qualifying transcontinental flights
Three-class non-stop flights between: New York (JFK) and Los Angeles (LAX)
JFK and San Francisco (SFO)
LAX and Miami (MIA) If operating with three classes sold
LAX and BOS if operating with three classes sold

Guest access
Flagship® First – International: 1 guest (children over 2 count as a guest)

Flagship® First – Transcontinental: No guests

Editor's note: There is no access stated or implied on arrival from qualifying flights, but in cases of AA qualifying Flagship First it is granted. There is no access stated or implied based on oneworld or AAdvantage status, including Concierge Key, though the latter may access with a pass. These access rules are quite different from the new Flagship® Lounge; Flagship First Dining is not a oneworld lounge and is exempt from oneworld lounge access rules, much like the LHR Concorde Room.

Concierge Key and Executive Platinum / oneworld Emeralds not flying in three class Flagship First as defined above do not have Flagship First Dining.
(Concierge Key may use passes.)

Locations

Dallas / Fort Worth (DFW) – Terminal D Concourse level between gates D21 and D22; inside the Flagship® Lounge.
Open daily 12:00 to 20:30

New York (JFK) – Terminal 8 On the mezzanine level after the Concourse B security checkpoint; inside the Flagship® Lounge.
Open daily 04:30 to 22:30

Los Angeles (LAX) – Terminal 4 Concourse level across from gate 40.
Currently closed

Miami (MIA) – Concourse D Near gate D30.
Open daily 13:00 to 22:30

Link to current thread on announced changes including new Flagship Lounges for MCO, MIA; new Flagship Lounges for MIA, PHL; Flagship Dining for DFW, JFK, LAX, MIA; renovation of FL, AC.

Background: The DFW international terminal was previously Terminal A. The "A" Admirals Club offered both an Arrivals Lounge and a Flagship Lounge within; these were closed after 11 September 2001. When the decision to make terminal D the new in terminal, AA chose to build an expanded Admirals Club and omit both Flagship and Arrivals lounges in "D". That has been rectified with the opening of DFW “D” Admirals Club, Flagship Lounge and Flagship First Dining. There is an AMEX Centurion lounge, and there are The Lounge at DFW and several contract lounges serving several airlines' passengers in "D".
Print Wikipost

Old Sep 22, 22, 8:48 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Ambassador (RIP SPG), Aeroplan 75K
Originally Posted by st530 View Post
Was offered admission today at DFW upon arrival from LHR on BA F, connecting to IAH. Based on the Wiki, this is not stated or implied so I assume it’s a YMMV situation? (I’m not a regular AA/BA flyer.)

Enjoying the LPGS aa we speak. Same thing they served on the BA flight, so I’ve had my fill today!

That’s great that they offered it vs. getting into a protracted negotiation.

It is implied if you consider BA F a qualifying first class flight based on AA’s latest T&Cs released in late Q1 of this year.
st530 likes this.
Old Sep 25, 22, 9:47 am

Originally Posted by happiest_at_40000 View Post
You should yes. Now if you were flying in from DFW late the night before then no but same day as your red eye departure you are good. I dont have much exp. with DFW FL/FFD but hopefully there are no issues.
That was an interesting experience at the DFW FL/FFD. The computer did not accept my SFO-JFK boarding pass, and after some research by the staff, they ended up letting me into FFD. Halfway through my stay, I went to the bathroom, and one of the staff who was involved with my checkin asked to speak to me to say that according to her supervisor, the website states that I didn't have access to DFW. As I was leaving the FL, I asked the same person where on the website it states that, and she pointed to the Transcon section, where it doesn't speak at all to which FFD location one is allowed. I did some more brief arguing as an academic exercise and asked that they update the website, as it's clear to me that I should have access. Left a slightly bitter taste in my mouth, but I'm happy I got to enjoy it for the first time.

Finished off 3 apps, 3 entrees, and the cornbread for dessert (they didn't have ice cream, which was my choice). They were all quite fantastic. I must've finished an entire bottle of LPGS, but it honestly distinctly tasted exactly like our go to $14 sparkling wine. Also had JWBlue, which was great but not my thing. Left a decent tip (based on perceived value of just the food), even though I know I didn't need to, as the service was fantastic, and I was there for a while.

Had the Steak & Eggs at the JFK FFD, and it was just bad. No other options appealed to me, and I would've been better off using the FL buffet.
ryanbriar likes this.
Old Sep 25, 22, 9:57 am

Programs: AA: CK
Originally Posted by kanny View Post
Finished off 3 apps, 3 entrees, and the cornbread for dessert (they didn't have ice cream, which was my choice). They were all quite fantastic. I must've finished an entire bottle of LPGS, but it honestly distinctly tasted exactly like our go to $14 sparkling wine. Also had JWBlue, which was great but not my thing.
My personal opinion is that it's pretty clear that you stretched the access rules, then took more than full advantage by ordering and consuming seven items, an entire bottle of wine and the most expensive possible liquor, then felt the need to argue your case with the staff after they did you a favor. IMHO, they should have denied you access and would have been correct in doing so.

Last edited by BlooJoo; Sep 25, 22 at 10:04 am
Old Sep 25, 22, 10:52 am

Programs: AA Platinum
That was an interesting experience at the DFW FL/FFD. The computer did not accept my SFO-JFK boarding pass, and after some research by the staff, they ended up letting me into FFD. Halfway through my stay, I went to the bathroom, and one of the staff who was involved with my checkin asked to speak to me to say that according to her supervisor, the website states that I didn't have access to DFW. As I was leaving the FL, I asked the same person where on the website it states that, and she pointed to the Transcon section, where it doesn't speak at all to which FFD location one is allowed. I did some more brief arguing as an academic exercise and asked that they update the website, as it's clear to me that I should have access. Left a slightly bitter taste in my mouth, but I'm happy I got to enjoy it for the first time.

Finished off 3 apps, 3 entrees, and the cornbread for dessert (they didn't have ice cream, which was my choice). They were all quite fantastic. I must've finished an entire bottle of LPGS, but it honestly distinctly tasted exactly like our go to $14 sparkling wine. Also had JWBlue, which was great but not my thing. Left a decent tip (based on perceived value of just the food), even though I know I didn't need to, as the service was fantastic, and I was there for a while.

Had the Steak & Eggs at the JFK FFD, and it was just bad. No other options appealed to me, and I would've been better off using the FL buffet.
Glad you got in and got to enjoy FFD. I think you rate it higher than I do and interestingly I like the LPGS a lot. I think more than the Dom I had on EK this summer.

At any rate, same thing happened to me with a manager at JFK actually entering to FFD to try to tell me I wasnt supposed to be there, after I was accepted by the lady agent and scanned in green (coming from Boston on an arriving FF).

The issue is AA doesnt make it clear on the site but you were supposed to get access b/c if you simply call AC customer service they will tell you anywhere along the same day itinerary you can get in.

Overall I think very few people realize or even try to get in at 1 city removed so maybe this doesnt happen that miuch.

This is no diff. than my wrong denial at LAX for LAX-SFO-JFK where agents also pointed me to the web site and said "see it doesnt say LAX-SFO is a qualifying FL flight". Of course that was the dumbest thing they could have said but same idea as what they were trying to tell you at DFW. AA isnt going to list every single possible connecting flight All they have to do is say "anywhere on a same day itinerary, arriving or connecting.". Frustrating they cant make this right but you were supposed to have access.

I had to go way up the chain to get that confirmed, for my wrong denial. They sent me an email apologizing, 10K miles for the hassle & refunded the $150 I paid to enter.
kanny likes this.
Old Sep 25, 22, 11:16 am

Glad you got in and got to enjoy FFD. I think you rate it higher than I do and interestingly I like the LPGS a lot. I think more than the Dom I had on EK this summer.

At any rate, same thing happened to me with a manager at JFK actually entering to FFD to try to tell me I wasnt supposed to be there, after I was accepted by the lady agent and scanned in green (coming from Boston on an arriving FF).

The issue is AA doesnt make it clear on the site but you were supposed to get access b/c if you simply call AC customer service they will tell you anywhere along the same day itinerary you can get in.

Overall I think very few people realize or even try to get in at 1 city removed so maybe this doesnt happen that miuch.

This is no diff. than my wrong denial at LAX for LAX-SFO-JFK where agents also pointed me to the web site and said "see it doesnt say LAX-SFO is a qualifying FL flight". Of course that was the dumbest thing they could have said but same idea as what they were trying to tell you at DFW. AA isnt going to list every single possible connecting flight All they have to do is say "anywhere on a same day itinerary, arriving or connecting.". Frustrating they cant make this right but you were supposed to have access.

I had to go way up the chain to get that confirmed, for my wrong denial. They sent me an email apologizing, 10K miles for the hassle & refunded the $150 I paid to enter.
I am dumbfounded as to why AA cannot print a simple sheet that states all the scenarios - with examples - on who gets in, laminate it and give it to all FL employees.
Old Sep 25, 22, 1:47 pm

Originally Posted by Global321 View Post
I am dumbfounded as to why AA cannot print a simple sheet that states all the scenarios - with examples - on who gets in, laminate it and give it to all FL employees.
Yup ! Its absolutely ridiculous.. Its pretty easy too, just say a qualifying flight gets you in departing, arriving or connecting, at any FL/FFD on the same day itinerary.

That one sentence in bold on a laminated flashcard and this wont keep happening.
Global321 likes this.
Old Sep 25, 22, 3:29 pm

Originally Posted by BlooJoo View Post
My personal opinion is that it's pretty clear that you stretched the access rules, then took more than full advantage by ordering and consuming seven items, an entire bottle of wine and the most expensive possible liquor, then felt the need to argue your case with the staff after they did you a favor. IMHO, they should have denied you access and would have been correct in doing so.
Regardless of whether or not he stretched the access rules, I don't understand why taking advantage of the experience is at all an issue. Some people, myself included, are not able to fly Flagship First regularly or even semi-regularly. It's an expensive ticket, which is even more expensive when you don't have your company picking up the bill. The two times I've been, my server actually encouraged me to order multiple appetizers and mains. I have absolutely no shame in admitting that I stuffed myself both times and happily drank all the LPGS I was offered.

It's truly a fun experience, and I'm glad he was able to indulge in it.
Old Sep 25, 22, 4:07 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Ambassador (RIP SPG), Aeroplan 75K
Originally Posted by Global321 View Post
Just like the massive binder that the PHL BA lounge has so they can find just the scenario to deny you entry

Totally agree - my understanding of the rules is that if you hold a qualifying flight for that day (or next day coming off the red eye) then you should have access to any of the three locations. Granted, the DFW-SFO-JFK scenario (and derivatives of it) are likely rare, but with that basic grounding, agents will know how to handle the situation. Saves people getting annoyed / lectured all around.
Global321 and kanny like this.
Old Sep 25, 22, 7:27 pm

Originally Posted by BlooJoo View Post
The problem is that nowhere on the website says it's not allowed, and the agent failed to point out where that made anything close to rational sense. They were making up rules.

If it were based on what the initial computer scan says, then you're right I should have been denied access, but they wouldn't have been correct in doing so. I was mentally prepared to accept either response, as I still had the FFD in JFK to look forward to. They did do me a favor and let me in because it probably helped that I was calm and respectful and made very little push (as someone who can empathize with them having been involved in customer service for a long time). Usually I'm the opposite of combative, but when one of the agents got snarky and passive aggressive (by her tone) in the middle of my trying to enjoy my first experience with FFD by incorrectly stating the website says I don't have access (according to her supervisor, anyway) even though it doesn't, it flipped a switch. Don't give me a BS answer.

Next day at JFK FFD for breakfast, I got 1 bad item that I only ate half of and still water, so it somewhat evened out.
Old Sep 25, 22, 7:29 pm

Location: Live: PWM/KBXM/BGR; Work: DCA/DFW/Everywhere; Play: LAS/AUA/MIA/MLE
Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, mlife Noir, LEYE Gold
Originally Posted by safari ari View Post
Being from Haifa, I question where they came up with this name. Luckily, I should have the chance to try it next week.
Originally Posted by TWA884 View Post
+1
It came from the menu of a Soho mediterranean restaurant called Shuka. They used to have a Watermelon Haifa cocktail with a za'atar rim that was likely the inspiration for this. Now they have a different (but still vodka and citrus based) cocktail simply called "Haifa" -- https://www.shukanewyork.com/_files/...1856f94fd7.pdf
Old Sep 25, 22, 7:43 pm

Thanks for providing your previous experiences. I had read similar ones, so I was mentally prepared if I were to be fully denied.
Old Sep 25, 22, 7:52 pm

Originally Posted by FlyFreakquently View Post
Regardless of whether or not he stretched the access rules, I don't understand why taking advantage of the experience is at all an issue. Some people, myself included, are not able to fly Flagship First regularly or even semi-regularly. It's an expensive ticket, which is even more expensive when you don't have your company picking up the bill. The two times I've been, my server actually encouraged me to order multiple appetizers and mains. I have absolutely no shame in admitting that I stuffed myself both times and happily drank all the LPGS I was offered.

It's truly a fun experience, and I'm glad he was able to indulge in it.
Thanks. I think I was 2 apps in when I had the encounter with the agent (just gracefully accepted what she said as I didn't want to risk getting kicked out), and it left such a bad taste in my mouth, I think it ended up causing me to order way more than I would've, normally.
Old Sep 25, 22, 8:00 pm

Originally Posted by ryanbriar View Post
Just like the massive binder that the PHL BA lounge has so they can find just the scenario to deny you entry

Totally agree - my understanding of the rules is that if you hold a qualifying flight for that day (or next day coming off the red eye) then you should have access to any of the three locations. Granted, the DFW-SFO-JFK scenario (and derivatives of it) are likely rare, but with that basic grounding, agents will know how to handle the situation. Saves people getting annoyed / lectured all around.
Funny - I went to the SFO BA lounge that night, and they let me in for a different reason than I expected (because I'm Emerald on that eligible transcon and not because it's Flagship First). No binder, though.
Old Sep 25, 22, 8:17 pm

The problem is that nowhere on the website says it's not allowed, and the agent failed to point out where that made anything close to rational sense. They were making up rules.

If it were based on what the initial computer scan says, then you're right I should have been denied access, but they wouldn't have been correct in doing so. I was mentally prepared to accept either response, as I still had the FFD in JFK to look forward to. They did do me a favor and let me in because it probably helped that I was calm and respectful and made very little push (as someone who can empathize with them having been involved in customer service for a long time). Usually I'm the opposite of combative, but when one of the agents got snarky and passive aggressive (by her tone) in the middle of my trying to enjoy my first experience with FFD by incorrectly stating the website says I don't have access (according to her supervisor, anyway) even though it doesn't, it flipped a switch. Don't give me a BS answer.

Next day at JFK FFD for breakfast, I got 1 bad item that I only ate half of and still water, so it somewhat evened out.
Breakfast at JFK FFD so bad. And interrupting you inside FFD is not acceptable.

I dont understand why such a simple thing as anywhere on the same day itinerary gets you in is so hard for these agents to understand.

Last edited by happiest_at_40000; Sep 26, 22 at 1:23 am
Old Sep 26, 22, 1:13 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond Hyatt Globalist Marriott Gold AA EXP

They let you pay $150 to enter FFD? Was that a one off offer or in the terms somewhere?

Search this Thread