Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Guide to AA Flagship First Dining Qualifications, Access & Related

Guide to AA Flagship First Dining Qualifications, Access & Related

Hide Wikipost
Old Apr 27, 22, 5:07 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: Prospero
Wiki Link
AA Flagship First Dining includes JFK, DFW, LAX, and MIA. The LAX facility is currently closed

This thread is for discussion of the new Flagship First Dining spaces within Admirals Club and Flagship Lounge complexes

Link to Flagship First Dining Terms and Conditions page on aa.com

Access
A customer with a same-day ticket on American or a oneworld airline in the first class cabin on a qualifying international or transcontinental flight automatically has access to Flagship First Dining, located within certain select Flagship Lounges.

Qualifying transcontinental flights
Three-class non-stop flights between: New York (JFK) and Los Angeles (LAX)
JFK and San Francisco (SFO)
LAX and Miami (MIA) If operating with three classes sold
LAX and BOS if operating with three classes sold

Guest access
Flagship First International: 1 guest (children over 2 count as a guest)

Flagship First Transcontinental: No guests

Editor's note: There is no access stated or implied on arrival from qualifying flights, but in cases of AA qualifying Flagship First it is granted. There is no access stated or implied based on oneworld or AAdvantage status, including Concierge Key, though the latter may access with a pass. These access rules are quite different from the new Flagship Lounge; Flagship First Dining is not a oneworld lounge and is exempt from oneworld lounge access rules, much like the LHR Concorde Room.

Concierge Key and Executive Platinum / oneworld Emeralds not flying in three class Flagship First as defined above do not have Flagship First Dining.
(Concierge Key may use passes.)

Locations

Dallas / Fort Worth (DFW) Terminal D Concourse level between gates D21 and D22; inside the Flagship Lounge.
Open daily 12:00 to 20:30

New York (JFK) Terminal 8 On the mezzanine level after the Concourse B security checkpoint; inside the Flagship Lounge.
Open daily 04:30 to 22:30

Los Angeles (LAX) Terminal 4 Concourse level across from gate 40.
Currently closed

Miami (MIA) Concourse D Near gate D30.
Open daily 13:00 to 22:30

Link to current thread on announced changes including new Flagship Lounges for MCO, MIA; new Flagship Lounges for MIA, PHL; Flagship Dining for DFW, JFK, LAX, MIA; renovation of FL, AC.

Background: The DFW international terminal was previously Terminal A. The "A" Admirals Club offered both an Arrivals Lounge and a Flagship Lounge within; these were closed after 11 September 2001. When the decision to make terminal D the new in terminal, AA chose to build an expanded Admirals Club and omit both Flagship and Arrivals lounges in "D". That has been rectified with the opening of DFW D Admirals Club, Flagship Lounge and Flagship First Dining. There is an AMEX Centurion lounge, and there are The Lounge at DFW and several contract lounges serving several airlines' passengers in "D".
Print Wikipost

Old Nov 4, 15, 7:07 am

Originally Posted by miamiflyer8 View Post
AA used to operate a Flagship lounge at DFW but clowed due to DFW beIng Elite heavy and at any given time the lounge would be overcrowded . There is a "secret" room in one of the Admirals Clubs which has gym equipment. That space used to be a Flagship lounge and they may re-open the Flagship Lounge there
The gym is not really a secret. It is in A near the showers and is clearly labeled.
Old Nov 4, 15, 7:19 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by 110pgl View Post
The gym is not really a secret. It is in A near the showers and is clearly labeled.
Yeah, I'd agree-- only the blogs use the trite "secret room" moniker as it makes it seem like their clueing you in on something special, etc.
Old Nov 4, 15, 7:23 am

Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond
AA used to operate a Flagship lounge at DFW but clowed due to DFW beIng Elite heavy and at any given time the lounge would be overcrowded . There is a "secret" room in one of the Admirals Clubs which has gym equipment. That space used to be a Flagship lounge and they may re-open the Flagship Lounge there
Originally Posted by 110pgl View Post
And I really doubt the FL would be located in any other terminal than D, given the heavy international departures percentage from that terminal.
Old Nov 4, 15, 8:22 am

Originally Posted by teemuflyer View Post
And I really doubt the FL would be located in any other terminal than D, given the heavy international departures percentage from that terminal.
Agreed 100%. The FL lounge was in A when international flew out of A. When AA moved it to D, D becomes the logical (and only) choice. There is space in D, it just takes moving some things around.

DFW has talked about building a new terminal for international only, but I believe that is just talk for now.
Old Nov 4, 15, 8:22 am

Programs: Double OWE (AA EXP, QF Plat), FI Gold
Originally Posted by teemuflyer View Post
Especially since access is generally predicated upon traveling in an international First cabin - not many three cabin international flights heading out of A these days.

I'm not sure I would say that the FL in A closed because there was too much usage (entry policies keep many elites out due to itinerary restrictions) - I thought it closed around the same time D opened, and 99% of the international flights transferred to the new terminal. No sense having a lounge in A catering to passengers in D. I do think it was short-sighted not to have a FL planned for D from the start, but that's hindsight for you.
Old Nov 4, 15, 8:26 am
Suspended

Will be in D.
Old Nov 4, 15, 12:59 pm

Programs: BA Gold, TK E+, ex AA EXP
The way I got it is that it will be an extension of the current AC, so If their is empty space there that's probably it.
Also the way she mentioned it made me felt that the ground work, at least the one to be able to have a proper kitchen has already started.
Old Nov 7, 15, 8:50 am

Programs: AA- EXP 3mm, Marriott Titanium(Lifetime), *wood Plat, Hertz Pres. Circle, *bucks Gold, Joan Ranger
Originally Posted by JDiver View Post
It's hilarious. "I have no idea what it is, but it must suck and X is better."

Sodexho is the FLD provider. And I'd not be surprised if they were the provider at Centurion Lounges, which has OK food offerings but certainly not brilliant by any stretch (and yep, been there many times).
Tried it and X is better.
Old Nov 7, 15, 12:25 pm

Programs: QF WP, AA EXP
Originally Posted by cova View Post
Nov 2 - 3pm - now in Centurion Lounge. Very crowded. No Spa appointments for at least 2 hours. Only one waiter for about 100 people. Had to wait for table, then had to clear it myself. Salads not as good as AA lounge. Only plus is the hot food - they have switched to Salmon and shredded beef. But a line at the food counter - about 12 deep. .
This sounds like my one and only visit to the DFW Centurion lounge. Didn't encourage me to go out of my way to return there.
Old Nov 7, 15, 1:25 pm

Programs: MAR AMB, WOH Explorist, AA EXP, UA 2P
Originally Posted by SNA_Flyer View Post
This sounds like my one and only visit to the DFW Centurion lounge. Didn't encourage me to go out of my way to return there.
Spent a few hours there the other week (Saturday). No servers ever came around, food didn't look that great and there was a line. Clientele wasn't a step up from the AC. All in all an overhyped offering being pushed by a certain segment for dubious reasons.
Old Nov 7, 15, 1:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by SNA_Flyer View Post
That's not really in line with my 50+ visits to this lounge. Though I often spend a considerable amount of time here, much more than a 90 minute transfer. The lounge definitely gets busy, no question about that, but I've never had an issue getting a seat, and I've never waited in the buffet line for more than a minute or two before getting to the food. The place empties out quite nicely as soon as one of AA's banks is over.

I know a number of the wait staff personally, so perhaps that's why I get better service than some others. Often times as soon as they seem me walk in they will have a glass of prosecco or a mimosa on its way. I tip pretty well, and they take good care of me at this lounge as well as the other Centurion Lounges in the network. IMO the offering is much more complete than any other domestic lounges I've been to.
Old Nov 7, 15, 1:51 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K (until it expires then never again), *wood Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by cmd320 View Post
That's not really in line with my 50+ visits to this lounge. Though I often spend a considerable amount of time here, much more than a 90 minute transfer. The lounge definitely gets busy, no question about that, but I've never had an issue getting a seat, and I've never waited in the buffet line for more than a minute or two before getting to the food. The place empties out quite nicely as soon as one of AA's banks is over.

I know a number of the wait staff personally, so perhaps that's why I get better service than some others. Often times as soon as they seem me walk in they will have a glass of prosecco or a mimosa on its way. I tip pretty well, and they take good care of me at this lounge as well as the other Centurion Lounges in the network. IMO the offering is much more complete than any other domestic lounges I've been to.
Similar to my experiences as well, it can and does get busy buy I've never been unable to get a seat nor had to wait for more than a minute or two for food or drink. Also in many many visits I've never not seen several waiters walking around.
Old Nov 7, 15, 2:10 pm

Programs: QF WP, AA EXP
Originally Posted by cmd320 View Post
That's not really in line with my 50+ visits to this lounge.
Fair enough - and I have a very small sample size to compare to - but there seem to be quite a few negative reviews about it with the same feelings.

The only other Centurion lounge I've used is the LAS location (multiple times). While usually busy, I have never had a problem finding somewhere to sit or get food/drinks. On the other hand, DFW felt like I was at an Embassy Suites during breakfast on a busy weekend. Not a relaxing experience.
Old Nov 8, 15, 12:30 pm

Programs: BA GGL; AA LT Gold; AS 100K; DL MM SM aka dirt; Hyatt G*list, Hilton Diamond; SQ gold, TK Elite
I went through DFW on Thursday but did not go in there. Today my SO went and took the following pictures:

First a view of the (very quiet) room

The drink stands

Same champagne as in LAX FL:

Soup offerings

Food:

Old Nov 8, 15, 1:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Uhh, that's not how I remember it. The DFW Flagship Lounge closed on Feb 1, 2003, the same day the MIA FL closed, during AA's first near-bankruptcy experience as AA was demanding huge concessions from its employees and AA was cutting costs left and right.

There were no huge crowds of EXPs at the DFW Flagship Lounge. That's not why it closed.

And no, the odds of AA reopening the old Flagship Lounge in Terminal A are zero. Zero chance. Terminal D? I've long predicted a new Flagship Lounge for DFW, and D is the only logical location.

Originally Posted by zpaul View Post
I'm not sure I would say that the FL in A closed because there was too much usage (entry policies keep many elites out due to itinerary restrictions) - I thought it closed around the same time D opened, and 99% of the international flights transferred to the new terminal. No sense having a lounge in A catering to passengers in D. I do think it was short-sighted not to have a FL planned for D from the start, but that's hindsight for you.
The old FL in Terminal A closed two years before D opened in the darkest cost-cutting days; I agree that it was short-sighted not to open a new FL in 2005 when D opened. I think it was short-sighted to close the old one in A (as well as at MIA).

IMO, it was short-sighted to not open a FL at LAX and JFK in 1999 when the first FL opened at DFW. Sure, the new JFK terminal 8 project had just been announced, but it would be years before the FL finally opened, and AA could have easily squeezed something in for the interim. Same at LAX as the remodel project was just being designed - the FL wouldn't open at LAX until September 2003.

When the MIA terminal project was complete, there were rumours of a new FL at MIA yet that never happened. The old MIA FL reopened a few years ago for a while, but then closed again.

Search this Thread