Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Cannot Book Aadvantage Flights Shown as Available

Old Jun 4, 2015, 6:31 am
Original Poster

Programs: Aadvantage

I tried at midnight CST to book 2 20K award tickets from Philadelphia to Venice, Italy.Several flights showed as "available" but when I clicked on any I received a 'no longer available, select another option' message. When 1 option appeared to work, I filled out all the passenger & payment information, clicked 'continue', then received a 'system error, try again in a few minutes' message which never resolved?
Are these problems typical when booking Aadvantage award flights.
Thank you!
Old Jun 4, 2015, 7:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by Jim G
Are these problems typical when booking Aadvantage award flights.
Thank you!
Welcome to FlyerTalk.

Your experience is relatively rare but the phenomenon gets mentioned from time to time. Prepricing/lack of inventory happens with paid tickets, too, on aa.com.

Keep trying, or call to book.
Old Jun 4, 2015, 8:59 am

Programs: UAL, AA, HILTON, MARRIOTT, SPG
AA Site upgrade?

I too was trying to book Award Travel, then it showed all my miles were gone from my account and said I had a zero balance . I waited an hour logged back in and all my miles were back.

What was weird was that when I went to "My Account" it showed all my miles, but on the home page it showed zero (and in the booking phase).
Old Jun 4, 2015, 9:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by flavatravel
I too was trying to book Award Travel, then it showed all my miles were gone from my account and said I had a zero balance . I waited an hour logged back in and all my miles were back.

What was weird was that when I went to "My Account" it showed all my miles, but on the home page it showed zero (and in the booking phase).
AA.com uses a front-end server to deal with customers and a back-office server to actually do the number crunching (and there are probably many on both sides). There are times designated to refresh the data in the front-end systems, so you may have hit one of those windows. Also, since they are essentially backfilling the front-end systems, so things may get updated before others. I've tripped across several systems that the sum of the transactions do not match the totals, sometimes ever, but mostly just during the update cycle.

This process also comes into play when trying to book tickets. The front-end may think a particular route is available, but once you get into the process, a check is made of the back-end and it's been taken (tied up) by another transaction and maybe that is not even an AA.com user.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.