Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: Ticket or Award status: On Hold, On Request, Pending, Purchased and Ticketed

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 8, 2021, 2:56 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
ARCHIVE: Please see https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...-ticketed.html for the current thread.

"Hold", "Pending", "On Request", "Purchased" and "Ticketed" Status: What does it mean?
Purchased or award itineraries may both show one or more of these

Your itinerary may show as on "Hold"; this means you may have not paid for it yet, or it may indicate your action to purchase (award or purchase" hasn't processed yet. Keep an eye and call if it doesn't process to "On Request" or "Pending" fairly quickly.

Your award or purchased itinerary may show as "On Request", "Pending", "Purchased" or "Ticketed" when you look at it online. To travel you need a "Ticketed" itinerary with a ticket number. AA ticket numbers begin with "001" followed by 10 numbers (e.g. #0012345678901), not a six letter (on AA) PNR*. On UA, 016-, etc.

If one is traveling in months or weeks, it could take a day or more to pass from "On Request" or "Pending" to "Purchased" and on to "Ticketed", depending on whether it needs verification from partner airlines (can take 72 hours or more weekends and holidays) or go to the Rate Desk for approval.

Flights not on American Airlines, American Eagle, or AmericanConnection® are on a request basis only. Fares and availability are subject to change. (aa.com)
Q: Why are revenue tickets on other airlines on a request basis only?

A: Other airline reservations are on a request basis only and may take 24 hours or more for confirmation. In addition, some airlines require post-booking reconfirmation of reservations made on aa.com. Please check with the airline for more details. (aa.com)
AA Conditions of Carriage, Section I(a)(2): "No person shall be entitled to transportation except upon presentation of a valid ticket."
Your itinerary online will reflect ticketing condition:

Pending or On Request mean your itinerary is essentially an offer, which might require processing for fees and taxes, approval and confirmation by a partner airline, etc. This can take 72 hours - longer over weekends and holidays, or if the trip is some time away.

"Purchased" or means the ticketing has been approved, but is awaiting issuance of a ticket.

"Ticketed" means you now have a Ticket Number (AA ticket numbers begin with "001" followed by 10 numbers, E.g. #0012345678901) - emailed to you; or, from your booking on aa.com, when you select "Print Receipt", you should be able to print a receipt with ticket number.

When you see your itinerary online, additionally you will be able to "Print a Receipt" with ticket numbers if your itinerary is fully accepted and ticketed. If it is not and you can only "Print Itinerary" rather than "Print Receipt", the ticket has not been issued as yet.

If Print a Receipt option is not available despite status being Ticketed, copy and paste the following URL into your browser on the same page as the displayed trip.

Code:
https://www.aa.com/reservation/printItinerary.do?forward=itineraryReceipt&isReceipt=true&anchorLocation=%2Freservation%2FfindReservationSubmit.do+aacomTripDashBoard_jsp&url=%2Freservation%2FprintItineraryReceipt.do
By travel time, you need one (or more) Ticket Number - do not presume to travel with just the six letter PNR. The ticket number is the "gold standard"; a PNR recycles, and is merely the handle for an itinerary.
To check your ticket's validity, fare class, detailed fare rules, etc. go to the AA Refunds site and enter your AA ticket number and you can see your ticket information before getting to a refund request.

You can select "Request a Receipt" or "Request a Refund"; prior to processing the refund request, you can see the detailed fare rules.

See post #261 for further information on checking ticket validity using the Refunds site.
*In the airline and travel industries, a passenger Name Record (PNR) is a record in the database of a computer reservation system (CRS) that contains the itinerary for a passenger, or a group of passengers travelling together. A PNR is merely a record of an itinerary; it does not imply or replace true ticketing. Your ticket numbers are evidence you have purchased an itinerary and the airline has approved and permitted it.

AA PNRs (passenger name record, aka itinerary or flight confirmation number) is always comprised of six letters (other airlines may use numeric as well), is merely a temporary handle for your itinerary. It ultimately "recycles" some time after the PNR is cancelled or used up.

The ticket number (AA also uses "document number") is thirteen numbers, and the airline designator for AA is "001" (UA is "026", etc.) Ticket numbers are the gold standard, indicating you really do have a ticket, and may be necessary in requesting adjustments, refunds, improperly assigned mileage credit, etc.

With AA you should receive a ticket number on the e-ticket email, and on the receipt. Unfortunately, the exceptions seem to be award tickets, where sometimes we must do a bit of digging.

Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: Ticket or Award status: On Hold, On Request, Pending, Purchased and Ticketed

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13, 2016, 12:43 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by ukheather
I did contact them again, I only booked about 2 hours ago for a last minute flight. They confirmed it has been paid for and it can just "take a while"
Ask it how long it will take - actual time to issue a ticket shouldn't be very long - it shouldn't take a long time to do . AA itself is an example of the worst in speed of ticketing , but ticket issuance can be instant when done automatically
Old Mar 13, 2016, 1:04 pm

Called AA and she was useless, saying it had been paid for my an agent but they can't ticket it as it is for the travel agent to do. While on the phone it got ticketed so I am happy.

Customer service was horrible from AA though

Only one ticket number for both the outward and the return journey? Don't you usually get 2?
Old Mar 13, 2016, 1:13 pm

Called AA and she was useless, saying it had been paid for my an agent but they can't ticket it as it is for the travel agent to do. While on the phone it got ticketed so I am happy.

Customer service was horrible from AA though

Only one ticket number for both the outward and the return journey? Don't you usually get 2?
AA is not going to be able to tell you anything about it , since it is purely something for the travel agent to do. If the AA agent stated it was for the travel agent to do, the agent provided you with correct information

I am not sure how giving accurate information is bad service

Only if you had purchased directly from AA, would it have been something to query with AA

There should be only 1 ticket number for the roundtrip journey
Old Mar 13, 2016, 1:15 pm

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
AA is not going to be able to tell you anything about it , since it is purely something for the travel agent to do. If the AA agent stated it was for the travel agent to do, the agent provided you with correct information

I am not sure how giving accurate information is bad service

If you had purchased directly from AA, then it would have been something to raise with AA

There should be only 1 ticket number for the roundtrip journey

She said the travel agent can only issue the tickets but its AA that issue the tickets?

Anyway its sorted now, just gave me a bit of a scare

Thanks for your help
Old Mar 13, 2016, 1:17 pm

She said the travel agent can only issue the tickets but its AA that issue the tickets.

Anyway its sorted now, just gave me a bit of a scare

Thanks for your help
She was correct - AA does not issue the ticket unless the ticket is purchased directly from AA

If purchased from a travel agent, then it is the travel agent that issues the ticket
Old Mar 13, 2016, 1:19 pm

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
She was correct - AA does not issue the ticket unless the ticket is purchased directly from AA

If purchased from a travel agent, then it is the travel agent that issues the ticket
ah ok! Thought it was the airline that did it.

Thanks
Old Mar 14, 2016, 12:32 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
I've booked a few tickets with Harrah's Passport Travel, they seem to ticket MUCH faster than tickets purchased on AA.COM; instantaneous VS. 3 hours.
Old Mar 17, 2016, 4:28 pm

Programs: BA Silver
I have a revenue ticket booked on aa.com that was ticketed in January then a few days ago went to “on request” after a very minor schedule change to a BA coded flight on the booking (no change to the departure time but the arrival time is now 15 mins later).

As expected I received an e-ticket confirmation today after the ticket was re-issued. However, while there are two people on the itinerary, only one passenger had their ticket re-issued with a new eticket number, the other still retains the original ticket number and the email only made reference to one passenger. The booking now shows “ticketed” again but the issued date is still when the ticket was first issued.

Any alarm bells here? I can’t see why the ticket would need to be reissued for such a minor change but if they are going to reissue why not do it for both passengers?
Old Mar 18, 2016, 3:20 pm

Ticketing slowing down before the award changes?

If I were to order an award ticket now (say 5.30pm EST on Friday) which involves other airline flights, what are chances of ticketing being delayed until after the award levels change on 3/22?

I had ordered some other tickets yesterday morning, which have neither been issued yet nor have the miles been deducted yet.
Old Mar 18, 2016, 3:33 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by phoochka
If I were to order an award ticket now (say 5.30pm EST on Friday) which involves other airline flights, what are chances of ticketing being delayed until after the award levels change on 3/22?

I had ordered some other tickets yesterday morning, which have neither been issued yet nor have the miles been deducted yet.
Sorry, that's bAArking up the wrong tree.

Nothing new here; it's not based on when they ticket, it's based on when you booked the award.
Old Mar 20, 2016, 4:14 pm

I have an award ticket with AA (switched from Y to J) and they had to re-issue the ticket apparently for the award change, and it's been over 24 hours the status is still "pending." I called AA and they informed me that it's taking awhile because there's a refund involved / a new charge, but when I go to my AA account, I have all of the miles that I used back in my account. I'm a bit concerned that this shouldn't be happening and something is wrong? I just don't want to get screwed w/ the award changes happening in two days...any thoughts?
Old Mar 20, 2016, 4:17 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
Originally Posted by kthpence
I have an award ticket with AA (switched from Y to J) and they had to re-issue the ticket apparently for the award change, and it's been over 24 hours the status is still "pending." I called AA and they informed me that it's taking awhile because there's a refund involved / a new charge, but when I go to my AA account, I have all of the miles that I used back in my account. I'm a bit concerned that this shouldn't be happening and something is wrong? I just don't want to get screwed w/ the award changes happening in two days...any thoughts?
This may be what is causing the delay: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...h-19-20-a.html

You may wish to wait until tomorrow morning and see if it has ticketed by then. If not then, call.
Old Mar 20, 2016, 4:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by kthpence
You should be grandfathered in with the current/old award rates. You may need to "remind" AA that this was in play before they made the changes. Also, it's been reported many schedule changes happening right now and the systems have been stifled to aid in the changes. Of course call them if you're very nervous, but I suspect things will shake out in a few days.
Old Mar 23, 2016, 7:41 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

First time I booked an award with AA, how long does it normally take to ticket?

My status has been "On Request" for 48+hrs now, flights with BA and JL...
Old Mar 23, 2016, 7:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by RTW1
First time I booked an award with AA, how long does it normally take to ticket?

My status has been "On Request" for 48+hrs now, flights with BA and JL...
Normally, it only takes minutes. Exceptions can occur when dealing with partners (like you are) and depends upon when you make your booking (not all departments work 24x7).

Personally, two business days sounds reasonable to me when dealing with partner airlines. AA is not good about getting back with you if there is an issue. Give them a call and ask if they see any issues with your ticket. Expect them to say everything is fine and just taking longer than usual. After the second round, escalate.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.