Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Ticket or Award status: On Hold, On Request, Pending, Purchased and Ticketed

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 23, 2015, 1:10 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
"Hold", "Pending", "On Request", "Purchased" and "Ticketed" Status: What does it mean?
Purchased or award itineraries may both show one or more of these

Your itinerary may show as on "Hold"; this means you may have not paid for it yet, or it may indicate your action to purchase (award or purchase" hasn't processed yet. Keep an eye and call if it doesn't process to "On Request" or "Pending" fairly quickly.

Your award or purchased itinerary may show as "On Request", "Pending", "Purchased" or "Ticketed" when you look at it online. To travel you need a "Ticketed" itinerary with a ticket number. AA ticket numbers begin with "001" followed by 10 numbers (e.g. #0012345678901), not a six letter (on AA) PNR*. On UA, 016-, etc.

If one is traveling in months or weeks, it could take a day or more to pass from "On Request" or "Pending" to "Purchased" and on to "Ticketed", depending on whether it needs verification from partner airlines (can take 72 hours or more weekends and holidays) or go to the Rate Desk for approval.

Flights not on American Airlines, American Eagle, or AmericanConnection® are on a request basis only. Fares and availability are subject to change. (aa.com)
Q: Why are revenue tickets on other airlines on a request basis only?

A: Other airline reservations are on a request basis only and may take 24 hours or more for confirmation. In addition, some airlines require post-booking reconfirmation of reservations made on aa.com. Please check with the airline for more details. (aa.com)
AA Conditions of Carriage, Section I(a)(2): "No person shall be entitled to transportation except upon presentation of a valid ticket."
Your itinerary online will reflect ticketing condition:

Pending or On Request mean your itinerary is essentially an offer, which might require processing for fees and taxes, approval and confirmation by a partner airline, etc. This can take 72 hours - longer over weekends and holidays, or if the trip is some time away.

"Purchased" or means the ticketing has been approved, but is awaiting issuance of a ticket.

"Ticketed" means you now have a Ticket Number (AA ticket numbers begin with "001" followed by 10 numbers, E.g. #0012345678901) - emailed to you; or, from your booking on aa.com, when you select "Print Receipt", you should be able to print a receipt with ticket number.

When you see your itinerary online, additionally you will be able to "Print a Receipt" with ticket numbers if your itinerary is fully accepted and ticketed. If it is not and you can only "Print Itinerary" rather than "Print Receipt", the ticket has not been issued as yet.

If Print a Receipt option is not available despite status being Ticketed, copy and paste the following URL into your browser on the same page as the displayed trip.

Code:
https://www.aa.com/reservation/printItinerary.do?forward=itineraryReceipt&isReceipt=true&anchorLocation=%2Freservation%2FfindReservationSubmit.do+aacomTripDashBoard_jsp&url=%2Freservation%2FprintItineraryReceipt.do
By travel time, you need one (or more) Ticket Number - do not presume to travel with just the six letter PNR. The ticket number is the "gold standard"; a PNR recycles, and is merely the handle for an itinerary.
To check your ticket's validity, fare class, detailed fare rules, etc. go to the AA Refunds site and enter your AA ticket number and you can see your ticket information before getting to a refund request.

You can select "Request a Receipt" or "Request a Refund"; prior to processing the refund request, you can see the detailed fare rules.

See post #261 for further information on checking ticket validity using the Refunds site.
*In the airline and travel industries, a passenger Name Record (PNR) is a record in the database of a computer reservation system (CRS) that contains the itinerary for a passenger, or a group of passengers travelling together. A PNR is merely a record of an itinerary; it does not imply or replace true ticketing. Your ticket numbers are evidence you have purchased an itinerary and the airline has approved and permitted it.

AA PNRs (passenger name record, aka itinerary or flight confirmation number) is always comprised of six letters (other airlines may use numeric as well), is merely a temporary handle for your itinerary. It ultimately "recycles" some time after the PNR is cancelled or used up.

The ticket number (AA also uses "document number") is thirteen numbers, and the airline designator for AA is "001" (UA is "026", etc.) Ticket numbers are the gold standard, indicating you really do have a ticket, and may be necessary in requesting adjustments, refunds, improperly assigned mileage credit, etc.

With AA you should receive a ticket number on the e-ticket email, and on the receipt. Unfortunately, the exceptions seem to be award tickets, where sometimes we must do a bit of digging.

Older posts can be read in the archived thread here.
Print Wikipost

Ticket or Award status: On Hold, On Request, Pending, Purchased and Ticketed

Search this Thread

Old Mar 18, 2022, 9:41 am

Programs: EXP,EX-CK 2.5mm, now lifetime Platinum, ex-UA1K, Marriott- Platinum, Hertz 5*
January 2023 award travel to PPT.... tickets involve Alaska and Air Tahiti Nui.... as well as a voluntary downgrade SFO LAX on AS. "On request" for 24 hours now. Agent today said "reservation is confirmed, that department is back up by a month and since this is January 2023 travel it will likely take at least a month to see it ticket.
Does that sound right? Wondering if I should HUCA or Tweet...
Old Mar 18, 2022, 11:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Why one award on hold sees the Email this trip function while another one does not?

I have two awards on hold, different dates, different itinerary\ies / destinations. Both have had agents to add an additional segment because website could not do it. Since there would not be an updated Itinerary Summary auto-generated by AA system, I would do an Email this trip to get a fresh itinerary.

However this morning the itinerary that just has an agent added a domestic segment to get to the gateway, does not see the Email function. In fact there is only 3 functions showing versus there should have been 5 functions.

This morning AA site also not behaves properly - Firefox was not able to log in earlier. It would not display My Trip periodically. Chrome has less problems. Both browsers do not show all functions on the itinerary that has added segment this morning. The segment does not have regular Saaver availability but has Web Special. At first agent said it may not allow him to add it but when he tried something, he successfully added the segment. Award mileage cost remains the same, tax goes up to incl the additional domestic airport..

But I cannot email myself a copy of the new itinerary!

I have never seen a function missing from the trip screen.
Old Mar 19, 2022, 11:44 am

Programs: EXP,EX-CK 2.5mm, now lifetime Platinum, ex-UA1K, Marriott- Platinum, Hertz 5*
48 hours later my award ticketed.... private messaged the Twitter team and wondering if that's what pushed it through. We'll never know.
Old Apr 25, 2022, 12:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I had an award ticketed, PHX-AUS-ORD-HEL-FCO. International legs on AY.

AA rebooked the domestic legs so now I'm on PHX-ORD-HEL-FCO. They put me in a seat I didn't want for PHX-ORD and it wouldn't let me change (the entire seat map allowed as blocked, but when i went to do a new dummy booking the were tons of empty seats in the seat map from that screen).

Anyway, the change started showing up yesterday. As of today it was still saying "check back later to see what changed" (even though I could see the changes). I called in earlier this evening; the agent accepted the change and assigned me the seat I wanted.

I never got another confirmation email from AA so I emailed the trip (so I could forward it to tripcase). In the email the status shows up as "On Request". When I booked it the first time, it went to "Ticketed" almost immediately after I purchased it. Is the fact that it's "On Request" cause for concern? I assume that the ticket needs to be reissued. I'm not sure if this requires contacting Finnair, as I had a ticket with them before, with seats selected for both my flights.
Old Apr 26, 2022, 12:15 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, DL PM, Bonvoy Titanium (Plat Life), HH G, Amtrak, B6, MR
Here I am, almost 8 weeks later, and it's still "on request"

When I called in March they assured me that everything was fine and that BA was just "a little backed up" in ticketing and that they had made sure my request was in the queue....

My trip is now 8 weeks away. Do I call again, or wait until I get closer to departure?
Old Apr 26, 2022, 11:47 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve
Originally Posted by sxpsxpsxp
Here I am, almost 8 weeks later, and it's still "on request"

When I called in March they assured me that everything was fine and that BA was just "a little backed up" in ticketing and that they had made sure my request was in the queue....

My trip is now 8 weeks away. Do I call again, or wait until I get closer to departure?
I would call again if I were in the same situation.
Old Apr 28, 2022, 8:11 am

Programs: AA Life Plat 4mm, Hilton Diamond
Last Sunday booked BRU/LHR/JFK (BA)/CLT/OMA all in one day, J AA award, really good connections -August trip
4 days later still shows on request, not so worried after reading this thread
My question, I see BA is canceling a lot of short hauls so if BRU-LHR goes away would I contact AA or BA?
I’m guessing if they gave us one day notice we would just take the train to London or Paris?
Old Apr 28, 2022, 9:24 pm

Does anyone know if AA charges a phone-booking fee for award flight for Cathay or JAL if I want to call in to place it on hold? Or can I place an award flight on hold online?
Also can I book award flight for someone else online or only on the phone? Thanks!

Last edited by asiantraveler; Apr 28, 2022 at 9:30 pm
Old Apr 29, 2022, 10:41 am

Originally Posted by econ
I would call again if I were in the same situation.
Called again a few minutes ago... Hold time (callback time, actually) was 8-11 minutes. That's pretty darn good.

Anyway, the very nice lady called the liaison desk, who called her help desk... And... there's nothing wrong, they tend to work on these closer to the travel date, just sit tight.
Old Apr 29, 2022, 1:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It's interesting that little are being told to wait.

I had an AY award ticket that went from ticketed status to "on request" when my domestic connection got changed and they had to reissue. I called in 2 days later (EXP line) and the agent pushed it through right there and then. I was on hold for maybe 3-5 minutes while she did it and when I got off the phone the status was ticketed. My flight is not until the end of June so it's certainly not close to the travel date.
Old Apr 29, 2022, 2:06 pm

Originally Posted by VegasGambler
It's interesting that little are being told to wait.

I had an AY award ticket that went from ticketed status to "on request" when my domestic connection got changed and they had to reissue. I called in 2 days later (EXP line) and the agent pushed it through right there and then. I was on hold for maybe 3-5 minutes while she did it and when I got off the phone the status was ticketed. My flight is not until the end of June so it's certainly not close to the travel date.
Perhaps it's the difference between AY and BA and how they handle things? But I also I don't have access to the EXP desk.
Old Apr 29, 2022, 3:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sxpsxpsxp
Perhaps it's the difference between AY and BA and how they handle things? But I also I don't have access to the EXP desk.
It could be. When I booked it the first time it ticketed more or less immediately (within a minute or two). That's why I was concerned about it being on request; not sure if that's SOP for AY.
Old May 1, 2022, 11:43 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve
Originally Posted by asiantraveler
Does anyone know if AA charges a phone-booking fee for award flight for Cathay or JAL if I want to call in to place it on hold?
AA stopped charging phone booking fees when Covid started. I don't believe they have come back yet.

Or can I place an award flight on hold online?
If you can find the itinerary online, you should be able to put it on hold there.

Also can I book award flight for someone else online or only on the phone?
This can also be done online. I suppose it could be done over the phone as well.
Old May 5, 2022, 4:14 am

Has my change been ticketed or not?

I have a booking for October 2022, DUB-CLT-LGA and ORD-LHR-DUB. I decided to change my return TATL (originally operated by BA) to an earlier AA flight. As I couldn't do it online, I asked the Twitter AA team, who in a couple of hours rebooked me on the earlier flight. They said I'd receive an email confirmation, together with a Trip Credit worth $9.80 as the new fare is cheaper than the original.

After 12 hours, I still have received neither the Trip Credit nor the confirmation email of the change. How long does it normally take to receive this confirmation? It is a normal cash booking, no awards or miles involved. If I view my reservation online, Status shows as Ticketed, but I can't tell whether it relates only to the flights which have remained the same or also to the changed one. I have no way of seeing the new 001- ticket number as I have no receipt, so I doubt it's actually been ticketed. Should I hold tight or call customer service?
Old May 5, 2022, 10:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tosaerba24
I have a booking for October 2022, DUB-CLT-LGA and ORD-LHR-DUB. I decided to change my return TATL (originally operated by BA) to an earlier AA flight. As I couldn't do it online, I asked the Twitter AA team, who in a couple of hours rebooked me on the earlier flight. They said I'd receive an email confirmation, together with a Trip Credit worth $9.80 as the new fare is cheaper than the original.

After 12 hours, I still have received neither the Trip Credit nor the confirmation email of the change. How long does it normally take to receive this confirmation? It is a normal cash booking, no awards or miles involved. If I view my reservation online, Status shows as Ticketed, but I can't tell whether it relates only to the flights which have remained the same or also to the changed one. I have no way of seeing the new 001- ticket number as I have no receipt, so I doubt it's actually been ticketed. Should I hold tight or call customer service?
The emails don't always get sent out when they make a change.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.