Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Ticket or Award status: On Hold, On Request, Pending, Purchased and Ticketed

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 23, 2015, 1:10 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
"Hold", "Pending", "On Request", "Purchased" and "Ticketed" Status: What does it mean?
Purchased or award itineraries may both show one or more of these

Your itinerary may show as on "Hold"; this means you may have not paid for it yet, or it may indicate your action to purchase (award or purchase" hasn't processed yet. Keep an eye and call if it doesn't process to "On Request" or "Pending" fairly quickly.

Your award or purchased itinerary may show as "On Request", "Pending", "Purchased" or "Ticketed" when you look at it online. To travel you need a "Ticketed" itinerary with a ticket number. AA ticket numbers begin with "001" followed by 10 numbers (e.g. #0012345678901), not a six letter (on AA) PNR*. On UA, 016-, etc.

If one is traveling in months or weeks, it could take a day or more to pass from "On Request" or "Pending" to "Purchased" and on to "Ticketed", depending on whether it needs verification from partner airlines (can take 72 hours or more weekends and holidays) or go to the Rate Desk for approval.

Flights not on American Airlines, American Eagle, or AmericanConnection® are on a request basis only. Fares and availability are subject to change. (aa.com)
Q: Why are revenue tickets on other airlines on a request basis only?

A: Other airline reservations are on a request basis only and may take 24 hours or more for confirmation. In addition, some airlines require post-booking reconfirmation of reservations made on aa.com. Please check with the airline for more details. (aa.com)
AA Conditions of Carriage, Section I(a)(2): "No person shall be entitled to transportation except upon presentation of a valid ticket."
Your itinerary online will reflect ticketing condition:

Pending or On Request mean your itinerary is essentially an offer, which might require processing for fees and taxes, approval and confirmation by a partner airline, etc. This can take 72 hours - longer over weekends and holidays, or if the trip is some time away.

"Purchased" or means the ticketing has been approved, but is awaiting issuance of a ticket.

"Ticketed" means you now have a Ticket Number (AA ticket numbers begin with "001" followed by 10 numbers, E.g. #0012345678901) - emailed to you; or, from your booking on aa.com, when you select "Print Receipt", you should be able to print a receipt with ticket number.

When you see your itinerary online, additionally you will be able to "Print a Receipt" with ticket numbers if your itinerary is fully accepted and ticketed. If it is not and you can only "Print Itinerary" rather than "Print Receipt", the ticket has not been issued as yet.

If Print a Receipt option is not available despite status being Ticketed, copy and paste the following URL into your browser on the same page as the displayed trip.

Code:
https://www.aa.com/reservation/printItinerary.do?forward=itineraryReceipt&isReceipt=true&anchorLocation=%2Freservation%2FfindReservationSubmit.do+aacomTripDashBoard_jsp&url=%2Freservation%2FprintItineraryReceipt.do
By travel time, you need one (or more) Ticket Number - do not presume to travel with just the six letter PNR. The ticket number is the "gold standard"; a PNR recycles, and is merely the handle for an itinerary.
To check your ticket's validity, fare class, detailed fare rules, etc. go to the AA Refunds site and enter your AA ticket number and you can see your ticket information before getting to a refund request.

You can select "Request a Receipt" or "Request a Refund"; prior to processing the refund request, you can see the detailed fare rules.

See post #261 for further information on checking ticket validity using the Refunds site.
*In the airline and travel industries, a passenger Name Record (PNR) is a record in the database of a computer reservation system (CRS) that contains the itinerary for a passenger, or a group of passengers travelling together. A PNR is merely a record of an itinerary; it does not imply or replace true ticketing. Your ticket numbers are evidence you have purchased an itinerary and the airline has approved and permitted it.

AA PNRs (passenger name record, aka itinerary or flight confirmation number) is always comprised of six letters (other airlines may use numeric as well), is merely a temporary handle for your itinerary. It ultimately "recycles" some time after the PNR is cancelled or used up.

The ticket number (AA also uses "document number") is thirteen numbers, and the airline designator for AA is "001" (UA is "026", etc.) Ticket numbers are the gold standard, indicating you really do have a ticket, and may be necessary in requesting adjustments, refunds, improperly assigned mileage credit, etc.

With AA you should receive a ticket number on the e-ticket email, and on the receipt. Unfortunately, the exceptions seem to be award tickets, where sometimes we must do a bit of digging.

Older posts can be read in the archived thread here.
Print Wikipost

Ticket or Award status: On Hold, On Request, Pending, Purchased and Ticketed

Search this Thread

Old May 15, 2020, 2:56 pm

i cancelled a domestic flight 2 hours after booking and its still pending review 8 days later. I don't know why this type of cancellation would need any review. it should be automatic
ACR2013 likes this.
Old May 16, 2020, 4:38 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve
Originally Posted by evor1
i cancelled a domestic flight 2 hours after booking and its still pending review 8 days later. I don't know why this type of cancellation would need any review. it should be automatic
Yeah, when I had to cancel a recent award ticket, it said the same thing until I eventually got my refund for the taxes/fees. (should also be automatic for an EXP)

Pre-covid, I've cancelled plenty of reservations < 24 hr after booking, and didn't take nearly that long to get my money back.

They're scrutinizing every refund it seems.
Old May 16, 2020, 8:55 am

Programs: AA PLTPRO, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
I had a situation where some codeshare flights on BA (booked on AA) were cancelled. Waited a few days and checked my reservation on AA.com - the reservation's flights disappeared and just had a notation to call Reservations, which I did. Agent said the flights were cancelled and did I want to rebook? I said I wanted to cancel for refund and she said that I was clearly eligible. She cancelled and told me to request refunds online, which I did. Fast forward to yesterday (just after the 7-day mark) and one of the two tickets said, "we sent you an email", which they did not as I have no such email. The other ticket said there was no record of a request for refund and to resubmit (a complete lie, as I have a confirmation from the original submittal and it was always visible on prefunds.aa.com as pending review).

Communicated with Twitter team, but no satisfactory response.
Initiated chargeback with Amex this morning and also filed a DOT complaint.

It's one thing for a delay in responding/processing (which happened on my prior cancellation and took about a month for the whole process) but now it feels like they're lying or playing games with my funds, which is completely unacceptable.
Old May 27, 2020, 5:54 am

Programs: UA Premier, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
I initially request a refund on April 7th. I finally received the refund email this morning. Not sure if there is any correlation, but two days ago I filed a complaint with the DOT and yesterday started a charge back with my credit card company.
Old May 27, 2020, 7:20 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat - some level of status in IHG, Marriot & HIlton
I submitted 3 for refund last Friday. The agent on the phone said the tickets were marked as "Refund" when she looked into them and told me they had been flagged to be refund eligibile. The email I got when I submitted them for refund said to check back in 24 hours to see status. When I try to do that today, it says "We couldn't find your request. Please check that you entered the right ticket number. If it's been more than 7 days, you can:" I know it hasn't been 7 days yet, so I won't send anything to American until Friday. But I was just curious if that is normal for everybody else. I didn't know how long to expect before it would say "Pending Review".
Old May 27, 2020, 9:12 am

Programs: AA PLTPRO, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by ksucats
I submitted 3 for refund last Friday. The agent on the phone said the tickets were marked as "Refund" when she looked into them and told me they had been flagged to be refund eligibile. The email I got when I submitted them for refund said to check back in 24 hours to see status. When I try to do that today, it says "We couldn't find your request. Please check that you entered the right ticket number. If it's been more than 7 days, you can:" I know it hasn't been 7 days yet, so I won't send anything to American until Friday. But I was just curious if that is normal for everybody else. I didn't know how long to expect before it would say "Pending Review".
On my most recent cancellation/refund (referenced above), I was getting all sorts of disconnects. First it was pending review then it was "couldn't find your request" and then I even received emails advising my tickets were non-refundable.
I had gone forward and processed chargebacks with AMEX and a complaint with the DOT.
AMEX offset it and then, oddly enough, one of two tickets were refunded out of the blue by AA.
A week later, both were refunded (so that means one was refunded twice and I received emails from AA confirming the refund of each).
So, I now need to sort out the extra refund with AMEX, but I'd rather be in the position of more refunded than less.

I don't know if it's because I filed the DOT complaint and chargeback, but AA "found" my request after first "not finding" my request and then denying my request.
Madison Guy likes this.
Old May 28, 2020, 10:06 am

Programs: BA Gold; Hilton Honors Diamond
I had two cancelled tickets that were submitted for refunds on 5/19 and today, 5/28, I received notification that the refunds had been processed and the credit would be back on my credit card within 7 days. Given some of the horror stories reported here and elsewhere I am pretty happy with the speed at which AA processed these.
apeortdz likes this.
Old Jun 11, 2020, 2:33 pm

Programs: CO - Onepass Gold Elite--> UA - MileagePlus Gold Premier--> Silver --> AS - MileagePlan MVPGOLD!
Ticket Pending???

Greetings from life over at Alaska Air...
Anyway, I booked a paid AA ticket months ago, then it was changed over this past weekend's schedule updates. But my original flight later go re-loaded into the system, so I called in yesterday and asked to be restored onto the nonstop flight.
Which they did... and downgraded me to coach, because there was no F available (grrr...).
BUT NOW, I've received no update email, and when I log into my PNR, the status is "Ticket Pending."
So... what gives? Should I just sit here and let it work its way through the system? Or should I call back and ask them to go ahead and ticket my reservation?
Old Jun 13, 2020, 9:07 pm

Programs: BA GfL, GGL/CCR
hope someone can help. I have a trip On request , for a few weeks now. It has never been ticketed. It was made on aa.com using a credit card.

The charge on my card, showed up as Pending straight away and then 5 days later it had gone. it never posted.

Can i cancel this on line without the concern AA may eventually recharge my credit card. On the basis its never been ticketed and the charge has gone from my credit card.
Old Jun 13, 2020, 11:00 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve
Originally Posted by crazyarmadillo
hope someone can help. I have a trip On request , for a few weeks now. It has never been ticketed. It was made on aa.com using a credit card.

The charge on my card, showed up as Pending straight away and then 5 days later it had gone. it never posted.

Can i cancel this on line without the concern AA may eventually recharge my credit card. On the basis its never been ticketed and the charge has gone from my credit card.
Although I haven't tried it, if I was in the same situation and knew I didn't want to take the trip, that's what I would do (assuming it lets you do that online).

Cancelling would presumably take it out of the ticketing queue, and ultimately your card shouldn't be charged if no ticket is issued.
Old Aug 31, 2020, 5:57 pm

Refund not processed

I booked ticket for my in-laws for a round trip and try finished the one way trip but the flight was cancelled for the other way. I called AA and asked them to process the refund and it’s been 10 days did not hear anything from them. Tried contacting AA customer support but did not get proper response. There is no way to contact their refunds department. Any thoughts on how to proceed further?

your help is much appreciated!
Old Aug 31, 2020, 10:32 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by Bharath B
I booked ticket for my in-laws for a round trip and try finished the one way trip but the flight was cancelled for the other way. I called AA and asked them to process the refund and it’s been 10 days did not hear anything from them. Tried contacting AA customer support but did not get proper response. There is no way to contact their refunds department. Any thoughts on how to proceed further?

your help is much appreciated!
Follow this advice below to do two things immediately:

Originally Posted by Often1
1. Chargeback
2. DOT Complaint

US law requires that AA initiate a refund within 7 days of your request if it cancels (as it did) or substantially changes your flight. On the 8th day, if you do not have notice that a refund has been initiated, do both of the above. Submit with your chargeback and DOT complaint: 1. e-ticket receipt, 2. notice of cancellation, 3. request for refund, 4. denial or a note that you have not heard back.

The chargeback, if complete, should be relatively quick and painless. The DOT complaint will cause DOT to require AA to respond to you (with a copy to DOT). Because the refund is required by law, AA has no option but to process the refund and then respond that it has done so.
I might also send a follow-up note to AA (Twitter DM should be fine) telling them that you have issued a chargeback and filed a DOT complaint, since they have not met their legal obligation to process the refund within 7 days. That might light an additional fire under their @$$.
ACR2013 likes this.
Old Sep 5, 2020, 7:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Ticket Pending for 7 days after Reissue - AA (to merge)

Dear Folks,

In last week's major schedule change, one of my reservations was affected so I have called the AA hotline to rebook. A friendly agent helped me rebook the flight combinations that I have regardless there were no availability in the same fare bucket; it took time but in the end, I was able to see the flights I requested on AA.com and select seats for that flight.

However, interestingly today is the 7th day and I still haven't received any e-mail confirmation, nor a new e-ticket number and the status of my ticket on AA.com and the AA mobile app is "Ticket Pending".

In the past ( the last few months-after COVID ), this "Ticket Pending" issue did not take no longer than 72 hours. Is it normal that it takes this long for AA to issue the ticket and for my ticket status to be "Confirmed"?

I have no status with AA ( have with another oneworld partner which probably does not matter in this case ) and the ticket that was affected is a US domestic ticket.
Old Sep 5, 2020, 7:58 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Call AA to avoid having the reservation cancelled. Even if travel isn't soon, airline systems purge (with varying degrees of efficiency, some having a 72 hour rule in principle and especially for award tickets including partner flights) reservations that aren't attached to matching tickets. The ticket is probably in some reissue queue and needs to be pushed to the head of the line. Sometimes it's useful to stay on the phone while the ticket is immediately reissued manually by the agent or while the agent is on the phone to their internal ticketing/help desk.

You're wise to notice this and to watch for the email with a new ticket number.
Often1 and cmd320 like this.
Old Sep 5, 2020, 7:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by ISTFlyer
Dear Folks,

In last week's major schedule change, one of my reservations was affected so I have called the AA hotline to rebook. A friendly agent helped me rebook the flight combinations that I have regardless there were no availability in the same fare bucket; it took time but in the end, I was able to see the flights I requested on AA.com and select seats for that flight.

However, interestingly today is the 7th day and I still haven't received any e-mail confirmation, nor a new e-ticket number and the status of my ticket on AA.com and the AA mobile app is "Ticket Pending".

In the past ( the last few months-after COVID ), this "Ticket Pending" issue did not take no longer than 72 hours. Is it normal that it takes this long for AA to issue the ticket and for my ticket status to be "Confirmed"?

I have no status with AA ( have with another oneworld partner which probably does not matter in this case ) and the ticket that was affected is a US domestic ticket.
The usually works these in date of departure order. If this is aways away, then nothing unusual. If within next week or two, then generally it should be done by now.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.