Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Boeing 787-8 / 788 Dreamliner MCE and Economy / Coach / Seating (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 15, 2015, 2:34 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
787-8 batch 1

Main Cabin Extra
Safran 5751 slimline seats configured 3-3-3
Row pitch: 34" pitch
Seat width: 17.1”
Recline: 4”
9" HD touch screen
Universal AC and USB-A sockets

Main Cabin
Safran 5751 slimline seats configured 3-3-3
Row pitch: 31" pitch
Recline: 3”
9" HD touch screen

Connectivity
Panasonic high speed satellite wifi

In flight entertainment
Panasonic eX2 AVOD in-flight entertainment system with Live TV

787-8 batch 2

Main Cabin Extra
Collins Aerospace slimline seats configured 3-3-3
Row pitch: 34" pitch
Recline: 4”
9" HD touch screen

Main Cabin
Collins Aerospace slimline seats configured 3-3-3
Row pitch: 31" pitch
Recline: 3”
9" HD touch screen

Connectivity
Viasat high speed satellite wifi

In flight entertainment
Thales Avant in-flight entertainment system with Live TV
Print Wikipost

Boeing 787-8 / 788 Dreamliner MCE and Economy / Coach / Seating (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9, 2016, 2:23 pm

LAA 787-8 / 788 Dreamliner Best Y & MCE / Coach - Economy seats

IMO, Row 8 is the best Y seat on AA's 787. Exit row 19 is another good option, but it's very busy next to the rest rooms and galley.

Rocky Horan's report has a row 19 photo at the bottom of the page.

Bottom line:

AA's 787, with 9 across coach seating, is a horrible experience, bordering on inhumane. A sardine can plain and simple.

JAL's 8 seats across is kinder.

In my experience, it’s essential to keep your feet raised during flights. And, because I use a roll-on to keep my feet up and rested, the best seats are Row 8, D and H, with window seats, A and L second.

I would take row 8, middle seats, B, E and K over any other seat in the Y cabin, except for Exit Row 19.

Exit Row 19, neighboring the lavatories and galley, is often very busy, but quiets down later into the journey. But, being squeezed, actually squished, between to large people, in Row 8 middle seats is not fun either.

And Row 8 aisle seats, C and J are an obstruction in the aisle, without a “proper” space to raise your feet, but it's not that much of a problem as I thought.

In addition to being an aisle seat, my favorite seats, D and H have a small floor work area. While window seats, A and L are comfortably tucked away, and you have a large window view, but the floor work area is small, and you need to pass over two people to exit.

Having said that, many people cozy up into A/L, sleeping the whole flight, and the space between row 8 seats, and the bulkhead, is much larger than the coach seats behind, so walking over is not so bad.

That’s why I’d take a row 8, middle seat, B, E and K over the other Y seats not mentioned. With the extra leg room in row 8, it’s not too bad passing over one aisle seat. Of course, being squished tightly is not much fun.

Longed legged people have liked row 8, aisle seats, C and J. But, there is a risk for interruptions with the seat being located in the center of the J cabin to Y cabin aisle. It wasn't too bad last time I sat there.

Here is a link to Rocky Horan's report that includes pictures and words about AA's 787.

The Row 19 photo is at the end.
Attached Images     

Last edited by zznoname; Apr 5, 2017 at 6:20 pm Reason: Restore original thread title
Old Mar 9, 2016, 2:37 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by zznoname
Thank you.
Also, the links to the photos are not working.

Ops. Working in Firefox, but not in Chrome.
They're working well for me in Safari and Chrome (under iOS); the thumbnails are all there, and I can enlarge them in a popup.

Thanks again.
Old Mar 9, 2016, 2:39 pm

Originally Posted by zznoname
Wanted to post this, maybe monitors can help where it fits.
Those are the best/clearest pics and captions I've seen explaining the 787 cabin layout -- much better than the "veteran" bloggers!

Very helpful - congrats!

Last edited by Potreroflyr; Mar 9, 2016 at 4:29 pm Reason: correct 787
Old Mar 10, 2016, 9:22 am

Here is a great link about AA787, including seating pictures.

http://upgrd.com/blogs/doublewidesfl...omy-class.html

<removed some discussion about where to post information>

Last edited by Microwave; Mar 23, 2016 at 4:50 am
Old May 13, 2016, 9:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Looks good. I'm glad for the large pictures. I grabbed 8H for 3 of my 4 flights. The legroom looks a little tight for 6' but the ability to angle my feet into the little "work area" should help. I also have 9H for the return from the first trip to compare. Gives me time to give up my row 8 seats for my second trip if i like 2nd row better.

It will be interesting to see how it compared to the 77W. I loved the last row of the mini cabin as i could recline all the way without bothering anyone. Sadly not an option on 787.
Old May 15, 2016, 2:23 am

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum; HHonors Gold; IHG Platinum
Does AA ever block row 8 seats on 787 until the day of departure at the gate maybe? I'm looking at AA288 in Sept and almost all MCE seats are open except for 8 ABKL.

Also, how is row 18?
Old May 15, 2016, 2:31 am

Programs: AA,BA
Originally Posted by fcontinuum
Does AA ever block row 8 seats on 787 until the day of departure at the gate maybe? I'm looking at AA288 in Sept and almost all MCE seats are open except for 8 ABKL.

Also, how is row 18?
Should be open if you have status, 19 the other bulkhead, unless actually taken. Flown both and OK, though unmovable armrest may pose an issue depending on flight time.
Old May 25, 2016, 4:18 pm

How are the row 29 and 30 seats in Economy? Usually I like a window seat. It appears in the seat map that the window seat is slightly away from the wall? Any of these two rows better than the other? Does 30 have limited recline that a recliner in 29 could be an issue? Thanks!
Old Jun 19, 2016, 3:26 pm

Does anyone have experience flying on 20 DEH seats? Is there more room for legs in that row or a regular MCE seat? Can't do exit rows. (8's seem to be blocked). Thanks in advance.
Old Jun 20, 2016, 6:59 am

DFW-SCL 787-8 Economy Seat

Hello,

I have an up and coming flight and am in economy. I am wondering if anyone has flown this particular route and can give me some possible recommendations on a decent seat (if there is one).

I noticed, for example, that 19L is an exit row that you can get without upgrading but found a single comment that the exit door juts in to leg room possibly and lavatory area being full and annoying as people congregate there.

I don't sleep well on planes but also don't like to bother folks to get up and use the restroom. I have not tried a window seat on these long flights but this 19l seemed possibly ok. I am about 6' tall and about 32 inseam so not a huge guy.

Thoughts and opinions appreciated.

Thanks.
Old Jun 20, 2016, 7:05 am

Programs: AA EXP
I flew on the 787-8 from GRU-LAX. I flew in MCE and the seat was tight! I'm a much smaller guy than you and I was uncomfortable. Leg room isn't bad, but what really bothered me was the width of the seat. I have a 33" waist and I had no wiggle room. My hips touch both sides of the arm rests. Also, for what it's worth, the window banks are pretty much flush with the wall, so you can't stick a pillow in there, as I like to do.

Honestly, if you can, upgrade to J. I've been telling all my friends to avoid the 787 in economy on all 3-3-3 configurations on any flight longer than a few hours. There's a whole thread on the BA forum in regards to health issues with this configuration.

Originally Posted by bline22
Hello,

I have an up and coming flight and am in economy. I am wondering if anyone has flown this particular route and can give me some possible recommendations on a decent seat (if there is one).

I noticed, for example, that 19L is an exit row that you can get without upgrading but found a single comment that the exit door juts in to leg room possibly and lavatory area being full and annoying as people congregate there.

I don't sleep well on planes but also don't like to bother folks to get up and use the restroom. I have not tried a window seat on these long flights but this 19l seemed possibly ok. I am about 6' tall and about 32 inseam so not a huge guy.

Thoughts and opinions appreciated.

Thanks.
Old Jun 20, 2016, 7:11 am

Programs: AA EXP
Oh and just a minor correction, it's a 787-8, not 800.
Old Jun 21, 2016, 1:33 am

So it looks like a few of us could use a review of economy seats especially the MCE ones in back. I'm not going on my trip for a bit so I was hoping someone else who had could chime in so I could reserve seat 20 D if that is better than rows 9 or 10 but it looks like I may be a guinea pig after all and report in a few weeks what seat I took and maybe upload a photo or two for future reference.
Old Jun 29, 2016, 9:47 am

Programs: United 1k, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by oaken
So it looks like a few of us could use a review of economy seats especially the MCE ones in back. I'm not going on my trip for a bit so I was hoping someone else who had could chime in so I could reserve seat 20 D if that is better than rows 9 or 10 but it looks like I may be a guinea pig after all and report in a few weeks what seat I took and maybe upload a photo or two for future reference.
Will grab one of these for my flights this weekend if I can't get Row 8 when check-in opens up.
Old Jul 4, 2016, 2:54 pm

Programs: United 1k, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by Lavezzi
Will grab one of these for my flights this weekend if I can't get Row 8 when check-in opens up.
Just wanted to give feedback on my 787-8 flights this weekend. On the first leg I took seat 8G which I found to have very restricted legroom due to the position of the bulkhead. The armrests were fixed which ended up being pretty annoying as no-one occupied the middle seat and they were pretty tight.

On the way back I was placed into 12C which had much more legroom and an adjustable armrest. Ultimately I think Row 19 B/C/J/K are the best MCE seats on the plane (for those who don't mind being close to the restrooms) due to the unlimited legroom provided.

Last edited by Lavezzi; Jul 4, 2016 at 3:03 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.