Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Boeing 787-8 / 788 Dreamliner MCE and Economy / Coach / Seating (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 15, 2015, 2:34 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
787-8 batch 1

Main Cabin Extra
Safran 5751 slimline seats configured 3-3-3
Row pitch: 34" pitch
Seat width: 17.1”
Recline: 4”
9" HD touch screen
Universal AC and USB-A sockets

Main Cabin
Safran 5751 slimline seats configured 3-3-3
Row pitch: 31" pitch
Recline: 3”
9" HD touch screen

Connectivity
Panasonic high speed satellite wifi

In flight entertainment
Panasonic eX2 AVOD in-flight entertainment system with Live TV

787-8 batch 2

Main Cabin Extra
Collins Aerospace slimline seats configured 3-3-3
Row pitch: 34" pitch
Recline: 4”
9" HD touch screen

Main Cabin
Collins Aerospace slimline seats configured 3-3-3
Row pitch: 31" pitch
Recline: 3”
9" HD touch screen

Connectivity
Viasat high speed satellite wifi

In flight entertainment
Thales Avant in-flight entertainment system with Live TV
Print Wikipost

Boeing 787-8 / 788 Dreamliner MCE and Economy / Coach / Seating (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 7, 2015, 4:10 am

Programs: JAL Global Club & oneworld Sapphire, ANA SFC & Star Alliance Gold
Here's more info about JAL's Y seat on the 77W.

https://www.jal.co.jp/en/inflight/in...at/index1.html
Old Nov 8, 2015, 5:59 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
JAL's economy seat is the most best economy seat I have sat in; comfortable, OK entertainment, good storage, USB power, etc. Seat pitch is also quite generous, by modern standards.

Food is also better than on AA in Y.

About the only downsides are: The food (even in Economy) is heavy on prawns so if you can't stand them, book a special meal, but avoid the vegetarian food which is miserable; and the cabin can be rather warm so bring plenty of water and dress lightly.

I would definitely choose JAL 9-across on a 777 over someone else 9-across on a 787.
Old Nov 8, 2015, 6:34 pm

Programs: AA Pl, KL Platinum for Life
The flight from Chicago to Narita is 10 hours or more, therefore I would suggest taking American's 787-8. The 787 has much better ventilation and isn't nearly as dry humidity wise. You will feel much more rested taking a 787 for 10 hours than a 777 for these 2 reasons alone. The service on AA is fine. I'm not sure what MCE stands for, so that may make a difference. I'm not fond of Japanese food and have been to Japan 3 times on business and I've never had a good meal there.
Old Nov 10, 2015, 9:50 am

Programs: AA PLT; UA PLT
Turns out my dates shifted slights, and the JAL's 77W wasn't available as an AA codeshare on my outbound dates, so I'll be on the AA 788. On the way back, got an NRT-JFK seat on JAL. So I'll get to try both (which I'm actually excited about, though JAL all the way would have been nice).
Old Nov 14, 2015, 12:14 pm

AA 787 Seating

Why, at Seat Guru, does it show AA 787 Y seating at 17" - 18"?
Which seats are what?
Thanks.

http://www.seatguru.com/airlines/Ame...eing_787-8.php
Old Nov 14, 2015, 12:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You'd have to ask seat guru why it posts the made-up numbers that it posts. That site used to be moderately helpful, but in recent years, it gets many details incorrect.

As to AA's 787s, with 9-across throughout economy, there are no economy seats that are 18" wide.

On the 77Ws, the MCE economy seats are 18" to 18.5" wide, as they are 9-across, just like the old 777 economy seats. Perhaps seat guru just cut and pasted the info, resulting in incorrect numbers for the 787.

Post-merger AA has substantially reduced the seat data shown on aa.com, which makes sense, since the US site showed no seat measurements.
Old Nov 14, 2015, 3:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by FWAAA
Post-merger AA has substantially reduced the seat data shown on aa.com, which makes sense, since the US site showed no seat measurements.
To be fair, aa.com pulled out some seat dimension data with the web site re-do a couple of years ago. That doesn't change a U.S. carrier's obligation under the early 2000s 'customer commitment' framework negotiated with the DOT to provide seat width and pitch info upon request. I bet if many people submitted their requests via Certified Mail to Parker's office the info would quickly find its way back to aa.com.
Old Nov 16, 2015, 10:02 am

Programs: Double OWE (AA EXP, QF Plat), FI Gold
So, reading the reviews I don't see anything about the center seats D/E/H for row 8, and in the photo from a blog that's linked to in a post, it looks like they're closer to the bulkhead than the A/B/C and J/K/L seats. Is this true? I'm in 8H for DFW-SCL, but row 19 is still open. Any thoughts?
Old Nov 16, 2015, 10:38 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
Originally Posted by zznoname
Why, at Seat Guru, does it show AA 787 Y seating at 17" - 18"?
Which seats are what?
Thanks.

http://www.seatguru.com/airlines/Ame...eing_787-8.php
The existing 787 economy seating thread can be easily found by doing an advanced search for "{787}" without quotes, in thread titles only. We don't need to create new threads for each query, so this is being merged into the extant thread.

~Moderator
Old Nov 17, 2015, 4:48 am

Programs: Double OWE (AA EXP, QF Plat), FI Gold
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
To be fair, aa.com pulled out some seat dimension data with the web site re-do a couple of years ago. That doesn't change a U.S. carrier's obligation under the early 2000s 'customer commitment' framework negotiated with the DOT to provide seat width and pitch info upon request. I bet if many people submitted their requests via Certified Mail to Parker's office the info would quickly find its way back to aa.com.
This is what I got from Customer Relations today upon asking the question about the 787:

Dear Dr. Zpaul:
Thank you for contacting American Airlines.
Pitch/Bed Length Width Seating details
Business 60-61/77 21-26 28 flat bed seats
Pitch Width Seating details
Main Cabin Extra 36 17-18 57 standard seats
Economy 31 17-18 141 standard seats

I presume that row 8 and exit rows, with trays in the armrests, are 17, and the rest of the rows that allow for a bit of spread can get up to 18, but they sure do play around with not answering with actual numbers you can count on.
Old Nov 19, 2015, 4:16 pm

Programs: BA Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
I flew JFK-NRT-SIN on JL yesterday and I have to say I was really happy with the Y product. Seats - legroom and space is great in Y- food was the best I've had(main meals) in coach - I had special meal. Crew is hardworking and great.
Entertainment is week - bring some of your own. My only complaint is with a special meal - you don't get the ice cream after meals
I requested for it and was finally given one after someone else declined.
Old Nov 19, 2015, 5:42 pm

Programs: AA EXP
If you are picking JAL they also off a paid upgrade to their PE at the airport even if you are booked on the AA flight numbers.

JAL website: http://www.jal.co.jp/en/info/inter/130712.html

I did this earlier in the month on NRT-JFK (JAL 787) and ORD-NRT (JAL 777) and with no aisle or exit rows available in Economy it was definitely worth it. You also get Admiral's Club access in ORD via JAL.

In ORD you need to go to the JAL gate (K17?) and they will process the upgrade there. It was JPY 30,000 in NRT and $USD 300 in ORD, flight was ~12-13 hours I believe.
Old Nov 19, 2015, 7:37 pm

Programs: AA EP | UA 1K
JL 77W's have extra wide seats at 19 inch and 34 inches in seat pitch, so essentially every Y seat on a JL 777-300ER is a MCE seat.

In coach, JL wins in every regard.
Old Nov 19, 2015, 8:07 pm

Programs: AA Plat
Originally Posted by Lakeviewsteve
I'm not fond of Japanese food and have been to Japan 3 times on business and I've never had a good meal there.
Don't mean to be overly harsh, but I'd discredit this guy on the basis of the above statement alone. Even if you don't like Japanese food Tokyo has some of the best non Japanese food in the world, period.

I just flew these legs in J on JL and AA, but that comparison won't help you. I can say the service on JL is fantastic.
Old Nov 21, 2015, 11:35 am

Originally Posted by zpaul
So, reading the reviews I don't see anything about the center seats D/E/H for row 8, and in the photo from a blog that's linked to in a post, it looks like they're closer to the bulkhead than the A/B/C and J/K/L seats. Is this true? I'm in 8H for DFW-SCL, but row 19 is still open. Any thoughts?
Stay at the bulkhead. D and H are the best seats, 'cause the wall extends out a bit, giving you a tiny bit of area alongside to "work" (put a bag down and get inside).

Maybe closer, too tired to measure, but it looked about the same.

A and L, are second in line (good view), some space in front to work, but you have to climb over 2 people to get out.
C and J, are bad for my needs. Your feet are IN THE AISLE.

Yep, no other place to put 'em, straight out from the seat, your legs extend into doorway, the pathway between J and Y. At least in the middle, B and K, you can put your feet up on the bulkhead (as mentioned, feet up, for me, is the key to Y flying).

19 has unlimited leg room. It's a good option for putting a rolly on the floor. BUT... the rolly and seat C could block the aisle, and the window seat has an obstacle in front.

Still, except for being right on top of the galley with all the light/traffic, row 19, is the second best option.

Having said all that, AA's 787 coach, when full, is a jam packed horrible plane ride, and a sad waste of a spectacular plane.

Last edited by zznoname; Nov 21, 2015 at 12:04 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.