Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Boeing 787-8 / 788 Dreamliner MCE and Economy / Coach / Seating (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 15, 2015, 2:34 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
787-8 batch 1

Main Cabin Extra
Safran 5751 slimline seats configured 3-3-3
Row pitch: 34" pitch
Seat width: 17.1”
Recline: 4”
9" HD touch screen
Universal AC and USB-A sockets

Main Cabin
Safran 5751 slimline seats configured 3-3-3
Row pitch: 31" pitch
Recline: 3”
9" HD touch screen

Connectivity
Panasonic high speed satellite wifi

In flight entertainment
Panasonic eX2 AVOD in-flight entertainment system with Live TV

787-8 batch 2

Main Cabin Extra
Collins Aerospace slimline seats configured 3-3-3
Row pitch: 34" pitch
Recline: 4”
9" HD touch screen

Main Cabin
Collins Aerospace slimline seats configured 3-3-3
Row pitch: 31" pitch
Recline: 3”
9" HD touch screen

Connectivity
Viasat high speed satellite wifi

In flight entertainment
Thales Avant in-flight entertainment system with Live TV
Print Wikipost

Boeing 787-8 / 788 Dreamliner MCE and Economy / Coach / Seating (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 29, 2015, 11:27 am

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott PP; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by nkedel
OK, I'm really surprised there isn't a thread on this already -- possibly just the search (and Google's) not being good. If so, mods please merge.

I'm going to be taking at least one flight this fall on the 787-800 (ORD-NRT) and will probably not have my upgrade clear. I sleep best in window seats, but unfortunately, the obvious choices -- 8A/L or 19A/L -- are all already taken.

I have a choice between 19C, 9A/9L, or 8C, 8D, 8H. So, my questions are, if anyone has actually flown on these enough in Y to have a sense:
- If I do 19C is there enough room that 19A/B have comfortable aisle access? How about 8C? Other than egress, and perhaps meal choice, am I right that 19 would actually be the roomier row?

- How much room am I giving up if I do 9A/9L? Clearly, 36" pitch is not going to allow me aisle access without waking my neighbors, but that doesn't sound like enough more to during times I'm not asleep have my laptop open (which is dicey on say, the 738 row 15 -- 2nd exit -- which are I think 37", AND where 14 doesn't recline.)

- If I do row 8, is there a difference between the bulkhead distance on 8C vs. 8D/8H?

- Is there any reason to consider 18A/L for only one neighbor?
I can't answer many of your seat-specific questions, but I've flown this plane a few times DFW-ORD and back, and I can say as someone 6' tall and ~185 lbs (not tiny but not huge either), the window seats in the MCE section feel rather cramped, even for such a short flight. I don't know why, since such a large plane shouldn't feel cramped by the window, but it does. I can't imagine doing a transpac in one of those window seats. I've sat in 8D once, and it did have significant leg room. Of all your choices, I would probably take that given it is the least likely you will be disturbed by your neighbors while sleeping (they can exit either side and bulkhead provides some room to sneak around).

Also, the dimming feature on the window really doesn't block as much light as a regular shade; make sure you bring an eyemask if you want to sleep on this flight.
Old Jul 29, 2015, 4:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM (LT-PLT, PPro for this year)
Originally Posted by jaimelannister
I've sat in 8D once, and it did have significant leg room. Of all your choices, I would probably take that given it is the least likely you will be disturbed by your neighbors while sleeping (they can exit either side and bulkhead provides some room to sneak around).
Thanks! That's what I've got held, for similar reasons.

(and thanks Microwave for merging this to the existing thread. )
Old Jul 29, 2015, 6:27 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
OK, I'm really surprised there isn't a thread on this already -- possibly just the search (and Google's) not being good. If so, mods please merge.

I'm going to be taking at least one flight this fall on the 787-800 (ORD-NRT) and will probably not have my upgrade clear. I sleep best in window seats, but unfortunately, the obvious choices -- 8A/L or 19A/L -- are all already taken.

I have a choice between 19C, 9A/9L, or 8C, 8D, 8H. So, my questions are, if anyone has actually flown on these enough in Y to have a sense:
- If I do 19C is there enough room that 19A/B have comfortable aisle access? How about 8C? Other than egress, and perhaps meal choice, am I right that 19 would actually be the roomier row?

- How much room am I giving up if I do 9A/9L? Clearly, 36" pitch is not going to allow me aisle access without waking my neighbors, but that doesn't sound like enough more to during times I'm not asleep have my laptop open (which is dicey on say, the 738 row 15 -- 2nd exit -- which are I think 37", AND where 14 doesn't recline.)

- If I do row 8, is there a difference between the bulkhead distance on 8C vs. 8D/8H?

- Is there any reason to consider 18A/L for only one neighbor?
19C has leg room for days and would easily allow for your neighbors to get out of their seats without making you get up. The negative is it's location by the lavs.
Old Aug 29, 2015, 11:56 am

Programs: AA EXP
788 seating question (window alignment)

I have a somewhat unusual request, and haven't seen it covered in any other thread to date.

The problem: Broad shoulders.

I have a flight coming up on a 788 (booked in Y) that is almost completely full in J and the first time a SWU might not clear for me internationally.

Resigned to the prospect of riding in the back, I'm wondering if there's a resource to see what window seats are best aligned with the window so that I don't get stuck next to a pillar that digs into my shoulder the entire trip.

Ideally I'd be looking for an E+ row where the window aligns with the seat itself so as to secure a few more inches at shoulder width.

Anyone have recommendations based on personal experience?
Old Sep 14, 2015, 6:41 pm

Programs: AA, DL, UA
Originally Posted by COnned
I have a somewhat unusual request, and haven't seen it covered in any other thread to date.

The problem: Broad shoulders.

I have a flight coming up on a 788 (booked in Y) that is almost completely full in J and the first time a SWU might not clear for me internationally.

Resigned to the prospect of riding in the back, I'm wondering if there's a resource to see what window seats are best aligned with the window so that I don't get stuck next to a pillar that digs into my shoulder the entire trip.

Ideally I'd be looking for an E+ row where the window aligns with the seat itself so as to secure a few more inches at shoulder width.

Anyone have recommendations based on personal experience?
Similar question. Although from this link it looks like Row 10 is aligned for sure -- not sure if 8 is.

Also was wondering if the 787 MCE offers additional recline. If so, would row 19 (and possibly 13) not offer it as the seat behind it is regular Y.
Old Sep 14, 2015, 7:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by supermintyfresh
Also was wondering if the 787 MCE offers additional recline. If so, would row 19 (and possibly 13) not offer it as the seat behind it is regular Y.
If it does, the 787 would be the only AA aircraft to do so. It's just extra leg room; it doesn't even have the (marginally) wider seat that the 77W does.
Old Sep 14, 2015, 9:55 pm

Programs: AA, DL, UA
If it does, the 787 would be the only AA aircraft to do so. It's just extra leg room; it doesn't even have the (marginally) wider seat that the 77W does.
https://www.aa.com/i18n/amrcorp/corp...acts/fleet.jsp

According to AA's website, on most of its aircraft, MCE offers an additional 2" of recline (usually from 4" to 6") -- whether those additional two inches are noticeable is another story .

Unfortunately that chart is not updated for 787 aircraft.

Edit: I just realized the units make no sense. The website states "Seat recline in degrees" yet still lists inches under the chart. The #'s don't really make sense in degrees either...
Old Sep 15, 2015, 12:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by supermintyfresh
whether those additional two inches are noticeable is another story .
Very interesting; OTOH, the two 777 configs flown long-haul don't list it (and the 77D isn't listed at all yet.)

On the short-haul 737 configs it sure ISN'T noticeable, from what I've been able to see, and ditto on the 763 back when they were first rolling out MCE on it for JFK-SFO -- although I haven't flown any of the new MCE configs on any longer distance than that; all of my truly long-haul flying since MCE started has either been 772 or in a better class than coach.

Edit: I just realized the units make no sense. The website states "Seat recline in degrees" yet still lists inches under the chart. The #'s don't really make sense in degrees either...
I like the idea of 18" of recline on the 762
Old Sep 15, 2015, 2:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, BA Bronze, Various Hotels
Hi all - have added a Wiki to hopefully provide an overview on the 788...hope it'll be useful in the long run!
Old Sep 18, 2015, 11:12 am

Programs: AA EXP & million miler
Does anyone know if the bulkhead extends entirely in front of seat 8 C/J? I believe it does extend fully in front of 8 D/H, which would prevent me straightening my legs out (6' 4").

Tempted to just sit in a regular Y+ seat for ORD-NRT next weekend if I'm not 100% sure I can stick my legs out fully.
Old Sep 18, 2015, 12:36 pm

Programs: DL PM, Hilton/Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by masonp123
Does anyone know if the bulkhead extends entirely in front of seat 8 C/J? I believe it does extend fully in front of 8 D/H, which would prevent me straightening my legs out (6' 4").

Tempted to just sit in a regular Y+ seat for ORD-NRT next weekend if I'm not 100% sure I can stick my legs out fully.
From what I could tell, it does not extend all the way.

As for the questions about MCE recline, it certainly feels deeper than a domestic/non-MCE seat. The seat pan also slides forward, so keep that in mind.

I was able to get 3-ish hours of decent sleep between the end of dinner and the mid-flight snack service on NRT-ORD. I can't compare to other AA int'l coach products, as most of my intl travel has been on delta.
Old Sep 18, 2015, 1:20 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA Gold,Marriott PP,Hilton Diamond, National EX, Hertz PC
If I recall correctly, I think the bulhead only extends out about halfway. I was also concerned about overhead space but the J area extends out over 8 so there is plenty of overhead space. If I was on this flight 8C would be my choice. I flew it just DFW-ORD but was very happy with the seat.
Old Sep 29, 2015, 11:39 am

Row 20 vs MCE for long-haul

Experts:

I'm flying NRT-ORD in a few weeks and currently have reserved seats 20D and 20E for me and my companion. I picked these early because SeatGuru recommends (with reservations). It says some extra legroom but proximity to lavs bothersome.

My question: There's plenty of prime MCE available near the front of the craft. Would we be better off grabbing 12A&C, for example, instead of sticking with the bulkhead?

In other words: Has anyone out there flown in Row 20 or given it a look? (I'm tall and have a leg problem, still hoping for a mileage upgrade though it does not look good.)

Thanks for your wisdom!

Dan
Old Oct 13, 2015, 12:26 pm

Traveling as a family of four. So I usually like to lift the armrests to get a little more width for myself next to my son (8 year old).

Any thoughts about trading off bulkhead legroom with the fixed armrests as opposed to a row back with the movable armrests (and hopefully a spare seat in the middle)?
Old Oct 13, 2015, 2:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bmchris
Traveling as a family of four. So I usually like to lift the armrests to get a little more width for myself next to my son (8 year old).

Any thoughts about trading off bulkhead legroom with the fixed armrests as opposed to a row back with the movable armrests (and hopefully a spare seat in the middle)?
I wouldn't gamble on the extra seat in the middle unless you have reason to think this won't be on a high-yield routes that will fill up -- for the most part, my impression is these are going to those (especially if it's replacing a 772 that had more seats, rather than a 762/763 with fewer.)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.