Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Boeing 787-8 / 788 Dreamliner MCE and Economy / Coach / Seating (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 15, 2015, 2:34 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
787-8 batch 1

Main Cabin Extra
Safran 5751 slimline seats configured 3-3-3
Row pitch: 34" pitch
Seat width: 17.1”
Recline: 4”
9" HD touch screen
Universal AC and USB-A sockets

Main Cabin
Safran 5751 slimline seats configured 3-3-3
Row pitch: 31" pitch
Recline: 3”
9" HD touch screen

Connectivity
Panasonic high speed satellite wifi

In flight entertainment
Panasonic eX2 AVOD in-flight entertainment system with Live TV

787-8 batch 2

Main Cabin Extra
Collins Aerospace slimline seats configured 3-3-3
Row pitch: 34" pitch
Recline: 4”
9" HD touch screen

Main Cabin
Collins Aerospace slimline seats configured 3-3-3
Row pitch: 31" pitch
Recline: 3”
9" HD touch screen

Connectivity
Viasat high speed satellite wifi

In flight entertainment
Thales Avant in-flight entertainment system with Live TV
Print Wikipost

Boeing 787-8 / 788 Dreamliner MCE and Economy / Coach / Seating (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old May 22, 2015, 8:41 am

Programs: AA Plat, HH Diamond, SPG GLD, MR GLD
I flew in a middle exit-row seat on inaugural day. Thought the width was quite tight. I was bumping shoulders with my seatmates constantly. Also keep in mind that there is a small indention of the fuselage in the Exit Row window seats that impedes into your space a little. It is padded, but still. I'm not sure how comfortable I'd be in coach on a 14-16 hour flight, even in the exit row. The middle seat does not recline in that row, either.
Old May 22, 2015, 10:23 am

Programs: Iron Maiden FC, GE, Rapidly falling down the Tiers to oblivion.
3-3-3 on AA's dreamliner, yes? Same as BA, which I can say with full confidence is hated by everybody that has ever sat on another airline seat (or all Fters over on the BA board are just a bunch of whingers!). Ah here it is: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...h-warning.html

One good thing to hear in Y is no IFE boxes which they do have on BA.
Old May 22, 2015, 11:01 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL
Originally Posted by ffflllyyyeeerrr
I sat in MCE on the flight. It was plenty spacious for me. I'd probably be just as uncomfortable on it for a long haul as I have been in MCE on AA's 77W. I'd say it's on par with the refreshed 738 and the 77W in terms of MCE. Can't comment on further back in normal Y.
Were you by chance in the bulkhead row? I'm curious as to how the 787 MCE bulkhead seats compare with the 77Ws - is there enough room for those sitting in the middle/window to get by without disturbing the the aisle seat.
Old May 22, 2015, 1:32 pm

Programs: AA PPro/ 1MM+, Marriott LT Plat
Flew DFW tp ORD. Same issues with not getting cell signal while on the plane on the ground in ORD for sure and somewhat in DFW. 14C was tight (first non MCE row), but managed to convince the guy in 14B to move up and open up 14B giving me and the lady in 14A a little more room.

IFE was good due to these being destined for international as it was free. Wifi is useless, even for aa.com

Biz class looked interesting with the rear facing seats.

Would probably avoid for anything long haul if possible, unless I coudl get an upgrade or at least MCE/exit
Old May 22, 2015, 4:34 pm

Programs: AA LTP, Bonvoy Titanium; AA CK before I retired
Had hoped for 8-abreast in 787 MCE but it didn't happen. I suppose we should be thankful that AA kept 9-abreast in 77D/773 MCE even though it's inconsistent with the decision on 787 MCE.
Old May 22, 2015, 9:54 pm

Programs: UA Premier Silver, AA Executive Platinum, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
I felt that I was bumped constantly in MCE during the inaugural return to DFW from ORD. Plus, the overhead bins were quite creaky as they moved substantially during turbulence.
Old May 23, 2015, 9:01 am

Originally Posted by XLR26
Were you by chance in the bulkhead row? I'm curious as to how the 787 MCE bulkhead seats compare with the 77Ws - is there enough room for those sitting in the middle/window to get by without disturbing the the aisle seat.
I wasn't. However, on that particular flight, passengers were roaming around quite a bit. The ones in the bulkhead row middle/window seemed to be able to get around the aisle passenger without too much disturbance. It's hard to know if that would still be the case on a long haul TPAC flight with a sleeping passenger in the blocking seat.
Old May 23, 2015, 4:31 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by itchief
Seats are tight, just like every other airline with a new/refurb aircraft.

The GOOD thing is that there are no equipment boxes under the seats for the IFE. You can still get your bag and or feet under the seat.
Agreed, though there's also the decision AA made to save money by not putting in articulating IFE screens. As soon as the person in front of you reclines the screen can become much harder to see because of that. And the screen that close to your face is an interesting experiences.

I felt that the seat pan was higher off the floor than I've experienced on other planes but didn't measure it. I also thought the arm rest was low relative to the seat pan but, again, just an impression and not a measurement.

I sat in 28A and was OK there though the two women next to me were not large. I think it was maybe a tiny bit better than 3-4-3 on the 77W but still narrow.

The pairs of seats at 29 & 30 at the windows have more space but no leaning against the wall if you're into that.
Old May 23, 2015, 10:35 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Thanks to the OP!

We have changed the thread title for searchability and consistency with similar threads.

/Moderator
Old May 25, 2015, 8:46 pm

Programs: AA, Hyatt
Took the 787 to/from ORD this weekend in Y. Point of reference I'm 6-2, athletic build.

DFW - ORD, seat 18L. Leg room was better than expected. Sat next to a larger man, so our shoulders bumped often. In general, felt squeezed at the shoulders. Definitely nice to have only 2 people in the row. Was not bothered at all by the proximity of the lavs. My seat did recline.

ORD-DFW, seat 19A. Much like other wide body exit rows, the door juts out into your space. Other than that, having unlimited leg room and the ability to get up without disturbing others is worth it. You do have access to a window during takeoff and landing if you look backward just a bit. When reclined in flight, quite comfortable to look out. Again like 18L, just felt squeezed for the upper body...
Old May 27, 2015, 9:41 am

Programs: AA, Hilton
Originally Posted by AlwaysSunnyInORD
I also like that the cabin is quieter and you can definitely tell the humidity is higher.
OK, so you did notice an uptick in the comfort of the atmosphere, specifically the humidity. And its quieter.

1. Anyone else feel the humidity is added to a better designed plane?

2. Did the coach cabin's larger windows and somewhat "vaulted ceiling" add to the perception of a more spacious cabin in lieu of the sardined 3-3-3 seats?

3. The 'better IFE' as I've said before is part of the smoke and mirrors to direct pax attention away from the shoehorned seating.
Old May 27, 2015, 8:35 pm

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, DL UA
Originally Posted by FWAAA
It's been said numerous times: 2-5-2 economy seating is far superior to 3-3-3 and is preferred by passengers. That middle seat in the block of five isn't occupied until the load factor exceeds 89%. With 3-3-3, someone is stuck in a middle seat once the load factor exceeds 66%. Everyone agrees that the 2-3 arrangement of the MD-80s is a plus (on the two-side, AB on AA), and yet AA has abandoned its long-standing 2-5-2 preference on its widebodies. With 2-5-2, there just aren't that many mandatory middle seats, and middle seats just plane suck.

I understand that blocks of two don't work in the back of the 777s where AA is going 10-across, but there was no reason to abandon 2-5-2 for the MCE sections. It's nice of AA to keep the wider seats for MCE on the 777s, but arranging them 3-3-3 is just plane stupid.

AA's joint venture partner across the Pacific is sticking with its more humane 2-4-2 econ seating on its 787s even as they're reconfigured with the lie-flat J seats (replacing the slanty J seats). If AA wanted to be a leader, it should have arranged the 787 MCE in a humane 2-4-2 configuration.
I couldn't agree more . . . This 3-3-3 and 3-4-3 is exactly why I'm flying only Premium Economy of foreign carriers or Delta Comfort+ for international flights. I like the 2 seats together and 70% of Delta's international fleet offers 2-3-2 and 2-4-2.
Old Jun 10, 2015, 2:28 pm
jix

Programs: Marriott Gold, JGC, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, AC 25K
Just booked a ticket on AA 787 in Y and have pretty much all cabin seats available, wondering if row 8 is the best? I'd like to sit in 8A but is it possible to get out without asking 8BC?

Otherwise I'll probably choose 8C or 8D/H, is there a difference on the amount of legroom there between all the seats in row 8? Can't find a good image online.
Old Jul 28, 2015, 11:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM (LT-PLT, PPro for this year)
Best economy seats on AA 787-800/788?

OK, I'm really surprised there isn't a thread on this already -- possibly just the search (and Google's) not being good. If so, mods please merge.

I'm going to be taking at least one flight this fall on the 787-800 (ORD-NRT) and will probably not have my upgrade clear. I sleep best in window seats, but unfortunately, the obvious choices -- 8A/L or 19A/L -- are all already taken.

I have a choice between 19C, 9A/9L, or 8C, 8D, 8H. So, my questions are, if anyone has actually flown on these enough in Y to have a sense:
- If I do 19C is there enough room that 19A/B have comfortable aisle access? How about 8C? Other than egress, and perhaps meal choice, am I right that 19 would actually be the roomier row?

- How much room am I giving up if I do 9A/9L? Clearly, 36" pitch is not going to allow me aisle access without waking my neighbors, but that doesn't sound like enough more to during times I'm not asleep have my laptop open (which is dicey on say, the 738 row 15 -- 2nd exit -- which are I think 37", AND where 14 doesn't recline.)

- If I do row 8, is there a difference between the bulkhead distance on 8C vs. 8D/8H?

- Is there any reason to consider 18A/L for only one neighbor?
Old Jul 29, 2015, 6:43 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
Originally Posted by nkedel
OK, I'm really surprised there isn't a thread on this already -- possibly just the search (and Google's) not being good. If so, mods please merge.
Done.

~Moderator

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.