Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Boeing 787-8 / 788 Dreamliner MCE and Economy / Coach / Seating (consolidated)

Old Sep 15, 2015, 3:34 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
787-8 batch 1

Main Cabin Extra
Safran 5751 slimline seats configured 3-3-3
Row pitch: 34" pitch
Seat width: 17.1
Recline: 4
9" HD touch screen
Universal AC and USB-A sockets

Main Cabin
Safran 5751 slimline seats configured 3-3-3
Row pitch: 31" pitch
Recline: 3
9" HD touch screen

Connectivity
Panasonic high speed satellite wifi

In flight entertainment
Panasonic eX2 AVOD in-flight entertainment system with Live TV

787-8 batch 2

Main Cabin Extra
Collins Aerospace slimline seats configured 3-3-3
Row pitch: 34" pitch
Recline: 4
9" HD touch screen

Main Cabin
Collins Aerospace slimline seats configured 3-3-3
Row pitch: 31" pitch
Recline: 3
9" HD touch screen

Connectivity
Viasat high speed satellite wifi

In flight entertainment
Thales Avant in-flight entertainment system with Live TV
Print Wikipost

Boeing 787-8 / 788 Dreamliner MCE and Economy / Coach / Seating (consolidated)

Old Dec 12, 2022, 1:19 pm

Programs: BA silver, Flying Blue gold, Marriott titanium
Best MCE (excluding 10 and 11)

Hi, we are choosing MCE seats on DFW - SCL and 10 and 11 are taken. Looking for best seats for 2. Row 20 window seats are blocked (why?) and we prefer movable armrests and window for leaning against for an overnight flight. Since no window remaining in MCE, Currently booked in 20 D and H, hoping E wont be taken. Are these fixed armrests and are toilets too close by? Aerolopa shows this as a baby seat. Might we be kicked out? Would a middle row D/H12-18 be preferable?
Old Dec 12, 2022, 2:56 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by flydrive
Currently booked in 20 D and H, hoping E won’t be taken. Are these fixed armrests and are toilets too close by?
All the seats in row 20 have fixed armrests; the tray tables and the pivoting TV monitors are attached to them. The lavs are separated from row 20 by the L3 and R3 doors, and the galley, although, passengers waiting to use the lavs will congregate in the space by the doors. On the other hand, because row 20 is a bulkhead row, it has more legroom than the MCE seats - D, E, H - in rows 10-18.
Old Dec 12, 2022, 7:37 pm

Programs: BA silver, Flying Blue gold, Marriott titanium
Thanks that is helpful. May be better to stick with 20 then, but any concern that it would become a bassinet space (as per Aerolopa)? When would the window seats become available?
Old Jan 3, 2023, 2:07 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
Bulkhead with kids?

I've read through this thread and my understanding is that the bulkhead seats in MCE are tight due to the inflight entertainment being in the armrests, and the armrests being fixed. I am traveling from PHL to ZUR and can currently access all MCE seats. Although both rows 10 and 20 are available, I'm thinking about selecting row 11. Am I nuts?
We are a family of four, kids ages 5 and 7. They don't need leg room as much as they need to be able to snuggle together, share the window and look out, lay across my lap, etc. So, even though the bulkhead has more leg room, the movable armrests are more important to my family's comfort, right? This just seems so counterintuitive that I'm just making sure that I'm not missing anything. Thanks for your help!
Old Jan 4, 2023, 8:35 am

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, Hilton HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by ashley1245
I've read through this thread and my understanding is that the bulkhead seats in MCE are tight due to the inflight entertainment being in the armrests, and the armrests being fixed. I am traveling from PHL to ZUR and can currently access all MCE seats. Although both rows 10 and 20 are available, I'm thinking about selecting row 11. Am I nuts?
We are a family of four, kids ages 5 and 7. They don't need leg room as much as they need to be able to snuggle together, share the window and look out, lay across my lap, etc. So, even though the bulkhead has more leg room, the movable armrests are more important to my family's comfort, right? This just seems so counterintuitive that I'm just making sure that I'm not missing anything. Thanks for your help!
Personally I still think 10 is the way to go. Seats are narrow regardless imo but I enjoyed as a solo traveler I could get up easy and no one disturbing me in 10H or 10J.
Old Feb 15, 2023, 5:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
I haven't flown an AA Dreamliner in MCE before. I just picked 10A on AA169. It's the bulkhead seat. I wonder if this is similar to the bulkhead seat on a UA 788 Dreamliner? On UA, the bulkhead seat requires me to pull the IFE that's in between the seats up. The folding tray is hidden in the armrest. The arm rest isn't adjustable. Can I expect the same thing on AA? Also, when leaning my head to the side, will it be the window itself or the wall? It would be nice if there are pictures.
Old Feb 15, 2023, 11:25 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by lsquare
I haven't flown an AA Dreamliner in MCE before. I just picked 10A on AA169. It's the bulkhead seat. I wonder if this is similar to the bulkhead seat on a UA 788 Dreamliner? On UA, the bulkhead seat requires me to pull the IFE that's in between the seats up. The folding tray is hidden in the armrest. The arm rest isn't adjustable. Can I expect the same thing on AA? Also, when leaning my head to the side, will it be the window itself or the wall? It would be nice if there are pictures.
TO the best of my recollection, it's the same as the UA 788. The arm rests are fixed and the IFE screen is attached to an arm that pivots up from the armrest. I don't recall the position of the window in relation to the seat.

Here's a picture of the legroom.

ETA: Oops, that is 20A, not 10A. There is no door by 10A, but the IFE screen still pivots up from the armrest, so the armrest is fixed. For the position of the window, take a look at aeroLOPA's diagram.
lsquare likes this.

Last edited by TWA884; Feb 15, 2023 at 11:32 am Reason: Correction
Old Feb 15, 2023, 3:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by TWA884
TO the best of my recollection, it's the same as the UA 788. The arm rests are fixed and the IFE screen is attached to an arm that pivots up from the armrest. I don't recall the position of the window in relation to the seat.

Here's a picture of the legroom.

ETA: Oops, that is 20A, not 10A. There is no door by 10A, but the IFE screen still pivots up from the armrest, so the armrest is fixed. For the position of the window, take a look at aeroLOPA's diagram.
From your description, it sounds like they're the same except the best numbers are different. ​​​​​​Does it sound like I made the right decision and sit on the left side flying to HND? Apparently, I'll be arriving close to 5 AM.
Old Feb 15, 2023, 4:42 pm

Programs: AA EXP
I'm trying to remember if the seats were slightly slimmer because the armrest are thicker to accommodate the IFE and/or tray. Extra legroom with less seat width is a disaster for those that are short and stout.
mnhusker likes this.
Old Feb 18, 2023, 10:31 pm

Originally Posted by lsquare
From your description, it sounds like they're the same except the best numbers are different. ​​​​​​Does it sound like I made the right decision and sit on the left side flying to HND? Apparently, I'll be arriving close to 5 AM.
Here a picture that I took from on a recent flight.

lsquare likes this.
Old Mar 12, 2023, 5:34 pm

Programs: Asiana Club Diamond (*G), AA PPro (OWE), Korean Air Skypass MC (STE)
For a 6'6" solidly built male, I am tossing up between 10C/J or 20. Downsides to row 10 seem to be the hard bulkhead but that the aisle may have some advantage if one can angle their legs into the aisle and generally not worrying about through traffic from First/PE. Downsides to row 20 is the galley/lav traffic.
The fixed armrest issue could be alleviated by taking an aisle seat in the middle section, but in terms of pure legroom, would row 20 be best?
Thanks
Old Mar 12, 2023, 6:09 pm

Originally Posted by LittleBird
... but in terms of pure legroom, would row 20 be best?
20 ABC and JKL have the most legroom of any seat on the 787-8, as those are door exit row seats.
LittleBird likes this.
Old Mar 12, 2023, 6:25 pm

Programs: $9 Fare Club
Some of the newer 788s have a divider instead of a solid floor to ceiling bulkhead in row 10.
Old Mar 14, 2023, 10:46 pm

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AC 25K, Marriott LT Platinum
In the center section, is there any advantage to row 11 over row 17?
Old Mar 14, 2023, 10:48 pm

Originally Posted by Howard
In the center section, is there any advantage to row 11 over row 17?
row 11 almost no foot traffic vs 17 being too close to lav.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.