Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Boeing 787-8 / 788 Dreamliner MCE and Economy / Coach / Seating (consolidated)

Old Sep 15, 2015, 3:34 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
787-8 batch 1

Main Cabin Extra
Safran 5751 slimline seats configured 3-3-3
Row pitch: 34" pitch
Seat width: 17.1
Recline: 4
9" HD touch screen
Universal AC and USB-A sockets

Main Cabin
Safran 5751 slimline seats configured 3-3-3
Row pitch: 31" pitch
Recline: 3
9" HD touch screen

Connectivity
Panasonic high speed satellite wifi

In flight entertainment
Panasonic eX2 AVOD in-flight entertainment system with Live TV

787-8 batch 2

Main Cabin Extra
Collins Aerospace slimline seats configured 3-3-3
Row pitch: 34" pitch
Recline: 4
9" HD touch screen

Main Cabin
Collins Aerospace slimline seats configured 3-3-3
Row pitch: 31" pitch
Recline: 3
9" HD touch screen

Connectivity
Viasat high speed satellite wifi

In flight entertainment
Thales Avant in-flight entertainment system with Live TV
Print Wikipost

Boeing 787-8 / 788 Dreamliner MCE and Economy / Coach / Seating (consolidated)

Old Jan 20, 2022, 4:11 am

Boeing 787-8 Row 30

Has anyone sat in the 2 seats in row 30 of the Boeing 787-8? We're flying MIA-MAD. What was your experience as far as comfort and noise from the galley? Which group were you able to board and did you find overhead space for your carry on or was it used up by everyone else that boarded ahead of you? Were you able to use the space under the 3 seats in front of you and on the side of the L seat?

On the seat map it shows that this plane does not have restrooms in the back, only the galley. So we're considering these seats, most likely J & L.

We're elite members with AA, not sure if that gives us the option to board earlier even though we book these seats at the back.

Thank you for your replies!
Old Jan 21, 2022, 2:09 am

Originally Posted by travellovers2
We're elite members with AA, not sure if that gives us the option to board earlier even though we book these seats at the back.!
Depending on the level you're at, you should be able to board early enough to get the overhead stuff. You didn't mention what level you're currently at.
Old Jan 21, 2022, 7:28 am
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
If you're elite, you also have a shot at the main cabin extra seats (orange colored on the seat map) for no extra charge. If you're gold, you cans check for them at T minus 24 hours before trip. If you're higher than gold, you can grab them now.
Old Jan 22, 2022, 4:06 am

Originally Posted by PHL
If you're elite, you also have a shot at the main cabin extra seats (orange colored on the seat map) for no extra charge. If you're gold, you cans check for them at T minus 24 hours before trip. If you're higher than gold, you can grab them now.
We're trying to get the 2 seats alone to fly out May 2nd MIA-MAD on the first AA flight.. We tried to book in PE, but the website for the entire month of May, except two days, shows "unavailable" even though the seat map shows seats available. We have called AA many times, but they still have not fixed the problem. You can be booked PE through other countries, but not the US.

We're pretty much done with this and want to move on and get the two seats in row 30. Any response to the questions I posted? Thank you!
Old Jan 22, 2022, 10:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
We're trying to get the 2 seats alone to fly out May 2nd MIA-MAD on the first AA flight.. We tried to book in PE, but the website for the entire month of May, except two days, shows "unavailable" even though the seat map shows seats available. We have called AA many times, but they still have not fixed the problem. You can be booked PE through other countries, but not the US.

We're pretty much done with this and want to move on and get the two seats in row 30. Any response to the questions I posted? Thank you!
You can find your boarding priority on the AA webpage linked below. I would be surprised if there were a lot of other passengers in Groups 1-4 who would have selected seats near the rear of the Main Cabin, but anything is possible.

Unfortunately, I cannot answer your other questions.

https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/...ng-process.jsp
Old Jan 23, 2022, 8:28 am
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA

I can't comment on row 30, but there are other MCE rows (not prem economy) that would be better seats in terms of space/legroom like 19AB/KL if you want to be 2 together. As for Prem economy, I see what you mean. On US and Canada, it's 'not available' despite a wide open seat map. If I switch the site to Spain, it's available for 1643 Euros (one way). Main cabin comes up as 926. That's a big delta to move up. I guess just keep checking the booking engine on the US site and see if they start offering PE on your date and decide if you want to up-fare.

Last edited by PHL; Jan 23, 2022 at 8:33 am
Old Jan 24, 2022, 11:01 am

Programs: $9 Fare Club
Not sure if its been mentioned in here yet, but I did notice from my latest trip on a new-ish 1.5 year old B788 (ship N873BB) the bulkhead in row 10 is a 'soft' bulkhead, there's a cut out to the PE cabin at the bottom you can stretch out into/store a bag under the last row of PE (similar to row 17 on the 772).

This would elevate Row 10 MCE to the best seats in MCE imo (assuming they ever bring back the liquor service).
Biggie Fries likes this.
Old Jan 25, 2022, 4:33 am

Originally Posted by PHL
I can't comment on row 30, but there are other MCE rows (not prem economy) that would be better seats in terms of space/legroom like 19AB/KL if you want to be 2 together. As for Prem economy, I see what you mean. On US and Canada, it's 'not available' despite a wide open seat map. If I switch the site to Spain, it's available for 1643 Euros (one way). Main cabin comes up as 926. That's a big delta to move up. I guess just keep checking the booking engine on the US site and see if they start offering PE on your date and decide if you want to up-fare.
We thought about 19AB/KL but too close to the labs. We see a lot of available seats on the seat map, so we might as well wait and see what AA does with May flights. If they keep it open then we will just book the extra legroom seats in the middle section. It will be easier if we just dump AA and book Iberia this time with their convenient 2-4-2 configuration without having to pay PE, but the bad reviews are holding us back.
Old Jul 13, 2022, 1:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
We thought about 19AB/KL but too close to the labs. We see a lot of available seats on the seat map, so we might as well wait and see what AA does with May flights. If they keep it open then we will just book the extra legroom seats in the middle section. It will be easier if we just dump AA and book Iberia this time with their convenient 2-4-2 configuration without having to pay PE, but the bad reviews are holding us back.
Are 19AB really that bad being so close to the lavs?
Old Jul 13, 2022, 1:22 pm

Originally Posted by PDXPremier
Are 19AB really that bad being so close to the lavs?
I feel like people congregate, bump into your seat, plus noise from the lav. Thats the reason I never select exit rows on AA widebodies
Old Jul 13, 2022, 2:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by gateH15
I feel like people congregate, bump into your seat, plus noise from the lav. Thats the reason I never select exit rows on AA widebodies
​​​​​​Is 19A against the wall or is there a space there like the paired seats in the last two rows?
Old Jul 14, 2022, 10:21 am

does anyone know why they took away the dreamliner from the MIA-GYE routing? and why it was cut from 3x daily to twice daily? thank you
Old Jul 14, 2022, 10:26 am

Originally Posted by michael1023
does anyone know why they took away the dreamliner from the MIA-GYE routing? and why it was cut from 3x daily to twice daily? thank you
most likely wide body shortage. They are utilizing all they have on flights to Europe probably
Old Jul 27, 2022, 5:59 am

Looking at MCE seats PHL to ATH. Of Row11 ABC or 16 DEH, which is the better choice for 2 travelers? Both say MCE with extra legroom, but the on-line configurations is not a clear picture as there are other main cabin seats on the same line as the MCE.
Old Jul 27, 2022, 10:24 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by dna2 sail
Both say MCE with extra legroom, but the on-line configurations is not a clear picture as there are other main cabin seats on the same line as the MCE.
That is correct; all the center seats in rows 10 - 18 are MCE, while the side seats, ABC and JKL, in rows 12 - 19 are standard economy seats.

The best and most accurate seat maps are on aeroLOPA.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.