Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

LHR / London Heathrow Int"l. Airport Admirals Club (master thread)

LHR / London Heathrow Int"l. Airport Admirals Club (master thread)

Hide Wikipost
Old May 28, 15, 1:28 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: JDiver
Wiki Link
Signed in members with 90 days / 90 posts can edit this Wikipost; wiki contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner)

LHR / London Heathrow International Airport Admirals Club
(Flagship Lounge is within Terminal 3 Admirals Cub)

Link to aa.com information for LHR.

Link to LHR website

Link to oneworld website Lounge Access and Lounge Finder tool

London Heathrow International Airport Terminal 3 Admirals Club

LOCATION: Departure level after Passport Control, near lounge area H

NOTE: Departing Admirals Club members and qualifying oneworld members.

HOURS: For current hours, see here.

AMENITIES:
  • Complimentary WiFi
  • Flat screen TVs
  • Showers
  • Childrens room
  • Food and beverages
  • Computers with Internet access
Links to other LHR Terminal 3 oneworld Lounges threads:
For lounge information about oneworld lounges for oneworld passengers departing Terminals 1 and 5, please see the BAEC Forum BA Lounge Database Dashboard for the United Kingdom here and / or the oneworld Lounge Access and Locator here.

Also in the BAEC forum, see:[b]
(Thanks to jerry a. laska)
List of oneworld Airlines and Terminals at London Heathrow

List of oneworld airlines using LHR Terminal 3:
  • American Airlines and US Airways
  • British Airways (limited short hauls)
  • Cathay Pacific
  • Finnair
  • Japan Airlines
  • Qantas
  • Royal Jordanian
Other oneworld airlines use:
  • Terminal 1 - TAM, some British Airways
  • Terminal 4 - Malaysian Airways and Qatar Airways
  • Terminal 5 - most British Airways, all Iberia
Print Wikipost

Old May 13, 15, 6:06 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, TAP, Mexico, Technical Support and Feedback, and The Suggestion Box
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by QueenOfCoach View Post
The BA board folks told me about a dedicated app for Heathrow. You can enter your departing flight and it bings you when the gate has been announced.
Hah! Than you! Sounds great. If someone goes fishing with their smartphone, what would they look for?
Old May 13, 15, 10:30 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
LHR / London Heathrow T3 Admirals Club, Flagship, oneworld Lounges (master thread)

"Heathrow"

...said Captain Obvious
Old May 14, 15, 8:06 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, TAP, Mexico, Technical Support and Feedback, and The Suggestion Box
Original Poster

"Heathrow"

...said Captain Obvious
Shocking! Nothing could be this intuitive or logical. Not if it has to do with airports or airlines, anyway.
Old May 14, 15, 9:48 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by JDiver View Post
Shocking! Nothing could be this intuitive or logical. Not if it has to do with airports or airlines, anyway.
True.

Apologies for the smarty-pants answer. It was late at night.

The Heathrow app is really useful. It covers all flights in and out of LHR, not just BA. Your flight shows up in their list about 12 hours (+/-) before scheduled arrival or departure. Just select that flight and turn on the alert function. It will send you a notification when your flight starts boarding, or is close to arrival and has a gate assigned.

Remember, you have to enable app notifications on your smartphone. The BA forum people warned me to not entirely rely on the app, but while in LHR to keep an eye on the TV monitors when getting close to departure time. The app is not 100% reliable, but very good.

I got the app last year before I flew LAX-LHR-DUS. I wanted to be able to predict my departure gate so as to sit in the lounge closest to the departure gate. For about two weeks I noted "my" flight's departure gate for each day.

The departure gates were all over T5A, with a few departures from T5B. There was no way to predict anything. A couple of days before departure, the flight left from some north gates three days in a row, so I waited in the north part of the terminal. Sure 'nuf, my actual flight left from a gate way in the south. So much for my brilliant plan.
Old May 14, 15, 9:56 am
Original Poster

True.

Apologies for the smarty-pants answer. It was late at night.

The Heathrow app is really useful. It covers all flights in and out of LHR, not just BA. Your flight shows up in their list about 12 hours (+/-) before scheduled arrival or departure. Just select that flight and turn on the alert function. It will send you a notification when your flight starts boarding, or is close to arrival and has a gate assigned.

Remember, you have to enable app notifications on your smartphone. The BA forum people warned me to not entirely rely on the app, but while in LHR to keep an eye on the TV monitors when getting close to departure time. The app is not 100% reliable, but very good.

I got the app last year before I flew LAX-LHR-DUS. I wanted to be able to predict my departure gate so as to sit in the lounge closest to the departure gate. For about two weeks I noted "my" flight's departure gate for each day.

The departure gates were all over T5A, with a few departures from T5B. There was no way to predict anything. A couple of days before departure, the flight left from some north gates three days in a row, so I waited in the north part of the terminal. Sure 'nuf, my actual flight left from a gate way in the south. So much for my brilliant plan.
It's a good answer.

Thanks for the explanation; I'll add the resource to the wiki.

IMO, LHR T-5 gate assignments are frustratingly unpredictable.
Old May 16, 15, 8:41 am

Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond
IMO, LHR T-5 gate assignments are frustratingly unpredictable.
As much as it might be frustrating to many of us, I'm pretty sure that since T5 only handles BA/IB flights, having almost complete flexibility with the gates (especially for SH flights) pays healthy dividends in efficiency in running the airport..

To deal with my frustration, I usually avail myself to the champagne offerings at the South Galleries First lounge

Now back on topic..
Old May 16, 15, 9:32 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by teemuflyer View Post
As much as it might be frustrating to many of us, I'm pretty sure that since T5 only handles BA/IB flights, having almost complete flexibility with the gates (especially for SH flights) pays healthy dividends in efficiency in running the airport..

To deal with my frustration, I usually avail myself to the champagne offerings at the South Galleries First lounge

Now back on topic..
Agreed, as I do with your stress management techniques.
Old May 20, 15, 6:29 pm

Programs: COdbaUA 1K, AA EXP, Bonbon Plat, Omni Black, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
Originally Posted by stifle View Post
The Concorde Room is a tremendous lounge and not worth missing.

It is not a very long detour off your route as you'll have a long trek and underground transit to get from the EDI arrival in terminal 5A to the SEA departure which will almost certainly be in 5B or 5C.
Take a look on the BA forum with regards from going from T5A to T5B or T5C. The fastest, easiest option is to just walk.

Originally Posted by teemuflyer View Post

Now back on topic..
Agreed, as I do with your stress management techniques.
Funny. I do the exact same thing. Weird...or maybe not.
Old May 23, 15, 4:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Pretty much all gone these days
Originally Posted by N1120A View Post
Take a look on the BA forum with regards from going from T5A to T5B or T5C. The fastest, easiest option is to just walk.
Nope. Unless you're regular enough to be familiar with the Concorde Room, the walking route is not easiest as there are almost no signs. In either event, it's only faster if you arrive when a transit's just left.

In any event, the point of the post was that in the scheme of things, the CCR is worth visiting
Old Feb 3, 16, 1:06 pm

Is the BA T3 lounge still better than the AC? I haven't been in the AA lounge for a while and was wondering if it has improved.

2:45pm flight, food and quiet are priorities.

(I would have thought this was a FAQ, so apologies if my search skills are failing me.)
Old Feb 3, 16, 3:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE100K, 1MM, NH, DL, AA, GE/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by richarddd View Post
Is the BA T3 lounge still better than the AC? I haven't been in the AA lounge for a while and was wondering if it has improved.

2:45pm flight, food and quiet are priorities.

(I would have thought this was a FAQ, so apologies if my search skills are failing me.)

Was in the AC @ LHR T3 on Sunday. It was my first visit and rather underwhelming. A few days earlier, I was in the AC @ LAX T4. The soup was really tasty and the very large windows allowed for some nice views.

LHR AC was very warm, and the morning food options were meh - although someone said they really liked the croissants. So I wandered over to the PPL to do some lounge-hopping.

I also stopped in to the Arrivals Lounge briefly prior to heading out to a meeting. It was so much brighter and more comfortable temperature-wise.
Old Feb 3, 16, 3:40 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, AS 75K Gold MVP, and some hotel stuff...
Originally Posted by richarddd View Post
On first glance it might appear that the BA lounges in T3 are superior to the AC. Don't take a second glance...the first glance is correct.

Cheers.
Old Feb 3, 16, 6:36 pm

Originally Posted by 24left View Post
I also stopped in to the Arrivals Lounge briefly prior to heading out to a meeting. It was so much brighter and more comfortable temperature-wise.
I like the arrivals lounge for a shower and breakfast if arriving too early to check into a hotel.
Originally Posted by brp View Post
On first glance it might appear that the BA lounges in T3 are superior to the AC. Don't take a second glance...the first glance is correct.
Old Jun 10, 16, 4:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Platinum
My family and I have about 4 hours between BA flights--which will also entail a T5 to T3 transfer. If the transfer takes the stated 90 minutes (does it?), and we need to start boarding about 45 minutes prior to departure, that means we'd have about 90 minutes in the AC.

1. Is it worth two day passes for 90 minutes of quiet relaxation? Looks like the going rate on eBay is about $30 each.
2. Approximately how far away are the BA flights from the AC? I.e., what's the furthest walk one might do to catch a TATL BA flight in T3?
3. My daughter has multiple food allergies, so we need to bring all of her food along for the trip. I know lounges prohibit outside food; will we face any issues so long as we provide a doctor's note?
Old Jun 10, 16, 5:20 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by pseudoswede View Post
My family and I have about 4 hours between BA flights--which will also entail a T5 to T3 transfer. If the transfer takes the stated 90 minutes (does it?), and we need to start boarding about 45 minutes prior to departure, that means we'd have about 90 minutes in the AC.
1. Is it worth two day passes for 90 minutes of quiet relaxation? Looks like the going rate on eBay is about $30 each.

Read further, please. You may have less, or more time than that. If you go through other airports with Admirals Clubs, you could use those passes there also - as long as you were airside.

2. Approximately how far away are the BA flights from the AC? I.e., what's the furthest walk one might do to catch a TATL BA flight in T3?

There are no transatlantic flights on BA from T-3 I know of; those should depart T-5. Please check your itinerary and post your flights (including marketed by and operated by). To catch an AA flight, it can be a long walk- iirc the farthest could be over fifteen minutes, and you could have secondary security at the gate too..

3. My daughter has multiple food allergies, so we need to bring all of her food along for the trip. I know lounges prohibit outside food; will we face any issues so long as we provide a doctor's note?

You should be fine with a doctor's note.

Search this Thread