Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA Service Phone Voice Recognition / IVR Issues (After May 2015)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 18, 2015, 9:11 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
AA "Enhanced" IVR / Interactive Voice Response System
including "Remember Me" discontinuation (as of 19 May 2015), quality, etc.

Our interactive voice response system

When you call, just tell the system what you need and the information will be passed along to an agent. If your cell number is saved in your account the system will recognize who you are and can help you with things like:
  • Flight information, including connecting flights
  • Reservations assistance
  • AAdvantage mileage balance and elite qualifying activity
  • 500-mile upgrade notifications for elite status members
To make sure you’re recognized:
  • Save your cell number in your AAdvantage account
  • Don’t include this number in any other account, like your child’s account
  • Call us from this cell phone
  • Include your AAdvantage number in all reservations
  • If you need help with recognition of your cell phone number please contact AAdvantage Customer Service.
AAdvantage customer service

Did you sign up for Remember Me? The new system will provide you with all the help you need and more, but getting recognized is a little different – as long as you have a unique cell number in your account we’ll recognize you. It’s that easy and there’s no need to sign up.

Update your AAdvantage account
Note: bypass command is "Agent"; one can also tap "0" several times.

E-mail from AA 18 June 2015:

Hello John Q. Customer,
AAdvantage® Executive Platinum Number: I28IVR

If you've called us recently, you probably noticed we're speaking in a new voice. We've made enhancements to our voice response system that are designed to be more conversational so you can tell us what you need in a few short phrases. When prompted, your responses allow us to get you the information you need on the spot, or pass the details you provide through to an agent. Your interactions will help us fine-tune the system and improve its responsiveness.

Learn more »

Recognition is now handled differently and the "Remember Me" service you subscribed to no longer applies. Our system will recognize you when you're calling on your cell phone, as long as that cell number is listed in your American Airlines AAdvantage account — and not in any other member's account. With this functionality, we'll be able to quickly pull up your account to answer your questions and proactively provide you with your flight information. We understand that sometimes you prefer to speak with a person and we're working on ways to help you reach an agent more quickly. Please keep the feedback coming, we are listening and refining the system based on your direct feedback.

Update your cell phone number
Note: The IVR recognizes ICAO / NATO phonetic alphabet; that can come in handy when IVR can't respond to accents:

ICAO / NATO phonetic alphabet

NOTE: Numbers pronounced as normal, but for “fife” and “niner”.

NOTE: “Concierge” and "Executive Platinum" Desks are separate agents, allegedly with extensive knowledge and supervisor powers. (Gold, Platinum and Platinum Pro "desks" are prioritized lines into the main telephone service bank).

Consolidation (Los Angeles, Tucson, Hartford EP Desk center's have been closed) and the need to bring in new agents have seemingly reduced the quality of EXP Desk services.

Print Wikipost

AA Service Phone Voice Recognition / IVR Issues (After May 2015)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 16, 2018, 8:38 pm

Programs: AA EXP
deleted

Last edited by 869; Mar 22, 2018 at 12:26 pm Reason: deleted
Old Mar 16, 2018, 9:03 pm

deleted

Last edited by 869; Mar 22, 2018 at 12:25 pm Reason: deleted
Old Mar 17, 2018, 5:10 am

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
do you have more than 1 AA FF associated with the phone number, Once I added my daughters account to my phone number, it did not know who I was
Old Mar 17, 2018, 7:58 am

I my case it only works when I speak the letters of my FF account. E.g. 12 Alpha Beta 4567
Old Mar 17, 2018, 8:12 am

Location: USA & UK -- AA EXP 3.5MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by dave_SEA
I've been trying to solve this for 2+ years. Whenever I call the EXP line, my phone number (calling from my mobile) is not recognized. I need to speak slowly my AAdvantage number. IIRC, this worked about 3 years ago, but no longer for me.

I've update my profile several times.

AA EXP CSR has no other ideas except updating my phone number in my profile, so I'm looking for wisdom form this group.

Any ideas or similar experiences?
The system looks for a unique match on your phone number. If your phone number matches _any_ other account, it won't match uniquely.

Theory: your cell phone is associated with multiple accounts.

When AA first established the "Remember Me" functionality, it wanted a unique match among ENROLLED phone numbers. Now it wants a unique match, even if the other accounts are inactive.

Suggestion: Call AA and ask them if they can (and will) tell you which other account is associated with your cell phone number.
Old Mar 17, 2018, 9:30 pm

Programs: AA EXP 3MM; LH FT (*A Silver); Marriott Rewards Platinum Elite; Starwood Corporate Preferred
That was my problem back when they merged. The account I created for my mom had my cell number....it took a good AAdvantage agent a few minutes to do a phone number search to find the account - since I’d forgotten all about my moms account.

Once I removed the number from my moms account, the system started working....
Old Mar 17, 2018, 9:34 pm

Programs: AA EXP, A3 Gold
Originally Posted by AAExpDFW
That was my problem back when they merged. The account I created for my mom had my cell number....it took a good AAdvantage agent a few minutes to do a phone number search to find the account - since I’d forgotten all about my moms account.

Once I removed the number from my moms account, the system started working....
OMG that's it! Both my parents' accounts have my phone number.
Old Mar 21, 2018, 5:20 pm

Programs: AA PLAT, *wood Gold, Marriott Silver
solved!!

Originally Posted by justforfun
OMG that's it! Both my parents' accounts have my phone number.
fotographer, you nailed it! Two of my kids had my phone number listed in their profiles. (They are minors, and contact phone number is a mandatory field). I removed them and then called 5 mins later. System recognized me right away.

Once again, this community shows more knowledge and tricks than AA itself.
Old Mar 21, 2018, 8:59 pm

Programs: UA Gold; AA Dirt; HH Diamond; National Emerald; CONTROL SecretAgent Platinum; KAOS EvilFlyer Gold
Originally Posted by dave_SEA
fotographer, you nailed it! Two of my kids had my phone number listed in their profiles. (They are minors, and contact phone number is a mandatory field). I removed them and then called 5 mins later. System recognized me right away.

Once again, this community shows more knowledge and tricks than AA itself.
Yep, I had the same situation after I created an AAdvantage account for my daughter back in December. But I was lucky enough to get a customer service agent who immediately knew that the phone number in multiple accounts was the culprit, and thus got it fixed with minimum angst!
Old Mar 22, 2018, 8:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Yes, technology leaps backwards! I understand the thought process but it was simply wrong. If a phone number has multiple accounts, then select the highest account to present to the agent as it's likely that member that is calling unless they are sharing a phone. And the logic that it must be a cellular number is fraught with issues (i.e. ported numbers?), again not really thought through. Let's hope they are making note is these issues and will reconsider when it's time to develop the next system when they merge again.
Old Mar 22, 2018, 8:37 am

Try dealing with that automated system with an english accent. It's a disaster.
Old Mar 22, 2018, 12:30 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by IflyonAA
At least with AA, try

For numbers, the usual - but to differentiate, use “fife” and “niner”.
Old Mar 22, 2018, 12:48 pm

Originally Posted by JDiver
At least with AA, try

{NATO phonetic alphabet}
I can confirm that this method, which I have been using for a while now, has completely eliminated the irritating errors I was previously experiencing.
JDiver likes this.
Old Mar 22, 2018, 3:20 pm

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by IflyonAA
I haven't found that to be a problem but I have a neutral accent despite growing up in Yorkshire.
Old Mar 22, 2018, 8:09 pm

Originally Posted by MADPhil
I haven't found that to be a problem but I have a neutral accent despite growing up in Yorkshire.
Is there such a thing?

I'll give the phonetics a go - thank you for the hint.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.