Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

CFO Kerr: AA focus on merger, just starting on changes (May 2015)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

CFO Kerr: AA focus on merger, just starting on changes (May 2015)

Search this Thread

Old May 19, 2015, 11:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
Originally Posted by JDiver
WTAE on closure of 5 year old US OCC at Moon Township near PHL http://m.wtae.com/news/us-airways-op...state/24096910
Near PIT.
Old May 19, 2015, 11:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Consolidating our two operations centers into one team, adjacent to our primary flight training center and our corporate headquarters, is the right decision for our business and our customers and a necessary step on our mission to make the new American the world’s best airline," spokesman Todd Lehmacher said in an email.
This part was particularly laughable to me. Yes AA, separate operations centers is the reason why you aren't the world's best airline...
Old May 19, 2015, 11:27 am

Programs: AA EXP 1.0mm, not sure where I am with hotels these days
Originally Posted by GaryZ
Probably not without some forward thinking individuals.

Am amazed that DFW is used as Hub for ANY EU/Asia flights considering that the distance would be reduced using CLT/PHX respectively.

My point, relative to this thread, was that US management are keenly sensitive with respect to on-time performance...moreso than feeding overweight American pax.
Their instinct is to cull whatever overhead it takes to make passengers happy - buttressing the fact they have studies showing that timely flights are generally the highest rated parameter relating to passenger satisfaction.

My own experience: had 8 flights connecting in DFW the past two months: 3 were diverted! and two others cancelled. In more than a decade flying US, had a couple of cancellations...there is simply no comparison.

The new crew (management) are not burdened with memories of a once great airline, so hopefully they will innovate new solutions to keep this beast afloat and make it the envy of DL/UA ^
The DFW MSA is now the fourth or fifth largest in the US and in many ways the most diversified in the US excepting Chicago and NYC. Alot of finance work formerly performed in NYC has been moved to the Irving / Las Colinas area as an example. Toyota USA to Plano. Liberty Mutual and State Farm in Richardson/Plano. Tons of jobs and interaction internationally. I'm not surprised in the least that AA reaches to Europe, Asia and South America from DFW and imagine it will expand.
Old May 19, 2015, 11:32 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
CLT on a rainy afternoon is as bad as LGA and PHL. Remember airline CEOs are judged on what Wall Street demands, not FTers. Cost cutting will always trump customer amenities in the eyes of the Wall Street gods, particularly in a fungal business such as airlines.
Old May 19, 2015, 11:34 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by Superguy
Near PIT.
Thanks!

Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge
CLT on a rainy afternoon is as bad as LGA and PHL. Remember airline CEOs are judged on what Wall Street demands, not FTers. Cost cutting will always trump customer amenities in the eyes of the Wall Street gods, particularly in a fungal business such as airlines.
WHAT? Now he tells me!

It does seem we occasionally lose sight of that here. And it is indeed in some ways a fungal business, IMO.
Old May 19, 2015, 1:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by skunker
Having a hub shutdown for 23 days might have had something to do with that.
I still don't buy US pre-HP as "pretty good". Agony Airways? And surviving the 2008-2009 crash with what was clearly an inferior network as the "ugly girl" wasn't a mean feat, either.

Originally Posted by bernardd
While that may be true, PHX is an MCE-free zone, and upgrades seem to be harder to get, so I'd rather take AA through DFW.
I would imagine that will change. AA is going to standardize at some point on all-MCE or not once it's single-airline. Otherwise you end up with a mess if you sub a non-MCE aircraft for an MCE one.
Old May 19, 2015, 7:26 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by cmd320
This part was particularly laughable to me. Yes AA, separate operations centers is the reason why you aren't the world's best airline...
It can certainly make a big difference with separate weather guru, maintenance scheduling, dispatch, etc. It's a "must do".

But AA never was the "world's best airline", has no hope or aspirations of being that. We'd sooner see ten days of Arctic temperatures and snow at PHX in August.
Old May 19, 2015, 8:36 pm

Programs: USA CP, AA, UAL, BA, DLTA
The Arizona Republic USA insert had a big article that said flyers are leaving American Airlines. I live in Scottsdale do I don't have much choice but I am less than thrilled with AA so far.
Old May 19, 2015, 9:14 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Is anyone thrilled or even happy with the "New American"? Ummmm no
Old May 19, 2015, 9:16 pm

Programs: AA P-Pro, Chase SP, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by txrus
And it's packed to the rafters as it is in Terminal 4 (which it shares w/WN, don't forget). I don't see how there could be any expansion there, unless they move back to T3 or even T2 which, I believe, are woefully underutilized now.
Have you been to Charlotte recently? I've connected (SAT-CLT-ATL) the last two weeks and holy craap, you can hardly get through the concourse there are so many blooming people clogging the aisles. Worst that I have seen at many airports.

Originally Posted by bernardd
While that may be true, PHX is an MCE-free zone, and upgrades seem to be harder to get, so I'd rather take AA through DFW.
I've come to view PHX as a help in adding more connection opportunities when things goes sideways with weather. I avoid it if I can, but with winter weather woes at DFW increasing, I have found it to be less stressful than checking weather every five minutes only to see banks of flights go cancelled from a smaller airport (SAT).
Old May 19, 2015, 9:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Don't we all want the same thing? An airline that operates smoothly with good service. I am having a hard time seeing the controversy and "sides" here.
Old May 19, 2015, 10:27 pm

Programs: UA MM / LT Gold (LT UC), DL SM, AA PLT (AC), OZ, KE; GE and Korean SES (like GE); Marriott Gold
Kerr was a little correct, just with a time warp. AA for a loooong time was flying the oldest fleet in the skies. In the 1970s and 80s, I was a very loyal AA flyer, then moved away from the aging aircraft. But, even before the merger, AA realized the need for new aircraft and started on a buying binge. While Wall Street wants quick bucks, long-term survival of an airline depends upon reputation, so that does matter even to the stock market technocrats. Pre-merger, I preferred AA to US. Now, it is one airline (yes, with different systems, but one airline). The New AA is still my preferred carrier to DL, UA, and Southwest. I agree with VickiSoCal; let's all hope that the new AA brings together the best of both, not the worst.
Old May 20, 2015, 7:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
I still don't buy US pre-HP as "pretty good". Agony Airways? And surviving the 2008-2009 crash with what was clearly an inferior network as the "ugly girl" wasn't a mean feat, either.
US was actually pretty good in the 90s. Some of my best Y flights ever was on US metal. Only airline I've been on that actually served ice cream in Y.

UA would have been much better off teaming with US. Despite Dougie's issues, he wouldn't have been nearly the disaster Jeff has been for UA - plus their network was a better fit than CO's IMO. On top of that, US was already in *A so it wouldn't have been a hard transition.
Old May 20, 2015, 7:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Paso Fino
The Arizona Republic USA insert had a big article that said flyers are leaving American Airlines. I live in Scottsdale do I don't have much choice but I am less than thrilled with AA so far.
Doesn't surprise me. That said, it's not like the grass is much greener at UA or DL. The smaller carriers can be nice, but only if their networks work for you.
Old May 20, 2015, 8:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by Superguy
UA would have been much better off teaming with US. Despite Dougie's issues, he wouldn't have been nearly the disaster Jeff has been for UA - plus their network was a better fit than CO's IMO. On top of that, US was already in *A so it wouldn't have been a hard transition.
This would have made far more sense. Let AA and CO remain independent.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.