Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Cathay to restrict F award availability for AA/OW/AS? (Yes)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cathay to restrict F award availability for AA/OW/AS? (Yes)

Search this Thread

Old May 17, 2015, 8:43 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by ChurchofTee
Thanks as always for the info Jon. I think a lot of us trust in your accuracy and connections. Any ballpark time we should try to book before to limit this impact? Or is that too much to share? I have not seen that in this thread or the other CX thread.
Unfortunately, that's not something I know-- wish it was as if I thought it was super-imminent (which I do not assume), I'd book a couple of CX F tix myself and do date-changes, etc. But, unfortunately, cannot say I know if this is weeks away, a few months or end of year type thing.
Old May 18, 2015, 8:31 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat (LT Gold), SPG Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by JonNYC
Unfortunately, that's not something I know-- wish it was as if I thought it was super-imminent (which I do not assume), I'd book a couple of CX F tix myself and do date-changes, etc. But, unfortunately, cannot say I know if this is weeks away, a few months or end of year type thing.
I have heard about the date change plan but I am not sure I understand the mechanisms. I believe this how it works but please clear it up for me if I am wrong.

Buy a ticket for Dec 1, on June 1. I can change that date into the future but only until June the following year or does it go to Dec the following? How far off in advance can you push it out?
Old May 18, 2015, 8:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If currently most of the seats are only available 3 days out, how would you plan for the future if this is no longer going to be the case? Confused.
Old May 18, 2015, 9:10 am
Suspended

I have heard about the date change plan but I am not sure I understand the mechanisms. I believe this how it works but please clear it up for me if I am wrong.

Buy a ticket for Dec 1, on June 1. I can change that date into the future but only until June the following year or does it go to Dec the following? How far off in advance can you push it out?
I kinda forgot-- maybe someone else can chime in on that. But, really, it's of limited utility to book a date unless there's at least a _chance_ you can use that date as once availability is limited further, doesn't really do any good to simply "be holding an award ticket" as if you can't find Z for the new date(s) (or if it's no longer booking into Z, etc) doesn't accomplish anything. Only way it helps to be holding a Z ticket and try and change dates is if all they do is raise redemption level and do nothing else, if ya know what I mean.
Old May 18, 2015, 9:44 am

Programs: AA LT PLT 3 MM+, BA (very) Blue, CO nobody

I believe that an award ticket is valid for 1 year from date of purchase.
In your case, it would be till June 1 2016.
Old May 18, 2015, 3:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I kinda forgot-- maybe someone else can chime in on that. But, really, it's of limited utility to book a date unless there's at least a _chance_ you can use that date as once availability is limited further, doesn't really do any good to simply "be holding an award ticket" as if you can't find Z for the new date(s) (or if it's no longer booking into Z, etc) doesn't accomplish anything. Only way it helps to be holding a Z ticket and try and change dates is if all they do is raise redemption level and do nothing else, if ya know what I mean.
Yeah, so piecing together bits -- I think you suggested previously that these changes were coming from the CX side, not from AA. AFAIK, CX can only control inventory availability to partners, it can't control AA's partner award chart. Then basically, either CX can make award inventory less available, or they can make it completely unavailable (like SQ F awards from partners). Probably the only thing that I would consider "dramatic" (to use your words) would be the latter. And as you point out, in correcting yourself, issuing an award ticket now and hoping to change the date later doesn't work in that scenario.

I suppose another scenario is that CX only releases award inventory to partners shortly before departure, say 48h (doesn't LH do this for F?). I don't know if I would consider that "dramatic", as it seems as if that's how a majority of CX awards are booked today anyway, but YMMV.
Old May 18, 2015, 4:17 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, Skymiles, Priority Club, HHonors
There is CX F availability more than a few days out. I found it from JFK to SGN or KUL on a few dates next Jan-Mar. But only 1 seat (I can't recall seeing 2 seats far out). That's pretty much always what I've found with CX; there are a few sporadic dates, but not many. So if I want to fly CX F on an Aadvantage award, I start with CX availability and then build the trip around it. Also, often there isn't any availability for HKG as the final destination, but availability if you're connecting in HKG to another destination in Asia.
Old May 18, 2015, 8:00 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Plat 1MM, IC RA, HH Gold
Originally Posted by rgdave
There is CX F availability more than a few days out. I found it from JFK to SGN or KUL on a few dates next Jan-Mar. But only 1 seat (I can't recall seeing 2 seats far out). That's pretty much always what I've found with CX; there are a few sporadic dates, but not many. So if I want to fly CX F on an Aadvantage award, I start with CX availability and then build the trip around it. Also, often there isn't any availability for HKG as the final destination, but availability if you're connecting in HKG to another destination in Asia.
In the past, if you booked 1 CX F seat, another would open up after you booked the first one. I never tried to book more than 2 seats so I don't know if another seat would open up. Some agents are very knowledgeable about this and others are not. I've been able to book at least two JFK-HKG F seats this way and even got F all the way to BKK on the 744. The last time I did this was 2 years ago so not sure if this is still the case.
Old May 18, 2015, 10:40 pm

I am afraid the squeeze (or should I say freeze) is already on.
I had little trouble landing 2F SFO-HKG in Feb (could have had LAX as well).
Now I see no F from LAX, SFO, YVR or ORD at T-331/T-330. April is hardly high season for that route.
Plenty of J though.
Old May 18, 2015, 10:52 pm

Programs: AA explt, 5 million miler
I got 1 first last week from bkk-Hkg-Bos in April. I told agent I just wanted first to a gateway city and she said, I have lax, sfo,jfk, and bos available. Took the Boston.
I am waiting to board 138 now. I flew in bkk-Hkg in business and only 5 people up front. At least 2 of us were on awards. Sometimes it's easy, but mostly not.
Old May 19, 2015, 8:33 am
A4K

Programs: N/A
I was able to find 2 F seats HKG-BOS at the end of December, but since then I cannot find anything extended with 2 seats. You will see 1 seat here and there out of all the gateways.

At one point SFO had 2 seats on a bunch of dates, but at the time it was too far out to book with AA.

Definitely getting close to impossible to find 2 F seats from my experience.

Slumming it in CX J certainly isn't the worst way to spend 15 hours.
Old May 19, 2015, 9:05 am

Originally Posted by paullgo
I got 1 first last week from bkk-Hkg-Bos in April. I told agent I just wanted first to a gateway city and she said, I have lax, sfo,jfk, and bos available. Took the Boston.
I am waiting to board 138 now. I flew in bkk-Hkg in business and only 5 people up front. At least 2 of us were on awards. Sometimes it's easy, but mostly not.
This sounds like a close-in award rather than T-331
Old May 19, 2015, 9:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Paulchili
This sounds like a close-in award rather than T-331
Not if it is April 2016.
Old May 19, 2015, 11:05 am
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Here's my point; big changes coming for AAdv members used to relative ease redeeming CX premium awards-- and it's not what you're talking about. It will be dramatic.

I'm not speculating here, most people realize I don't do that and that I have very unique access to information.

You're free to tune out the information I'm trying to impart. But you're completely and totally incorrect in your assumptions and theories on this.

When it happens you'll see how right I am.
I think we are talking about two different things.

I'm talking about changes CX is rumored to and/or has already made to making seats avail to partners. This is tied back to article in the South China Morning Post.

You appear to be referring to changes to AAdvantage program.
Old May 19, 2015, 11:17 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by seawolf
I think we are talking about two different things.

I'm talking about changes CX is rumored to and/or has already made to making seats avail to partners. This is tied back to article in the South China Morning Post.

You appear to be referring to changes to AAdvantage program.
I'm talking about changes CX will be making that are specifically referenced in that article:

The plan is to slash the number of free air tickets available for partner airlines and to reallocate those to Cathay's own Marco Polo Club members, sources close to the ongoing review say.
Then there is the question of if CX has -started- to make *some* minor changes already, BUT, the big changes are yet to come-- not AAdv program changes, changes made by CX as described above and in the article.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.