Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

DFW AA Integrated Operations Center / IOC (open 14 Sep 2015)

Old May 15, 2015, 5:47 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Matre-plongeur des Muccis

We've griped about weather related issues and what appears to be sluggish responses. And eventually both AA and US systems operations center will merge. The initial step is building a new integrated operations center (includes such functions as dispatch, maintenance coordination, etc.)

Last year, AA broke ground on the new Integrated Operations Center at DFW, which will host current OCC employees at AA's Center and those from US' five year old Center in Moon Township, near PIT PHL (built with significant local subsidies, the 600 employees were advised last year of the closure and of relocation options forvDFW)

...American Airlines executives and Fort Worth Mayor Betsy Price put shovels in the dirt to break ground on the carriers new (Robert Baker) Integrated Operations Center south of Dallas/Fort Worth Airport.

The facility, which is expected to be completed in the third quarter of 2015, will house more than 1,400 employees who oversee the airlines flights and customers. The two-story, 149,000-square-foot building will be at 4700 American Blvd., adjacent to the carriers flight academy and the C.R. Smith Museum, on the west side of Texas 360. The project will cost $88 million.

Read more here: http://www.star-telegram.com/news/bu...#storylink=cpy
Some of the operational differences will probably go away once both airlines have merged their OC centers personnel into the new 1,400 employee Integrated Operations Center currently under construction near DFW. I'm guessing this will occur by year's end, based on statements and a letter to US OCC employees last year from Tim Campbell, etc.

Consolidating our two operations centers into one team, adjacent to our primary flight training center and our corporate headquarters, is the right decision for our business and our customers and a necessary step on our mission to make the new American the worlds best airline," spokesman Todd Lehmacher said in an email.
AA release http://hub.aa.com/en/nr/pressrelease...rt-w-baker-ioc

Star Telegram article http://www.star-telegram.com/news/bu...le3864626.html

Airways mag article on current IOCC http://airwaysnews.com/html/airplane...th-tx-usa-2013

WTAE on closure of 5 year old US OCC at Moon Township near PIT PHL http://m.wtae.com/news/us-airways-op...state/24096910

Last edited by JDiver; Sep 14, 2015 at 9:20 pm Reason: Restore original post title
Old May 21, 2015, 4:05 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum
Originally Posted by relangford
Which part? I assume the closure of the PHL OCC? IMHO, it makes sense to have the HQ, OCC, and training all in the same place. Of course, I am a Texan, so that might cloud my judgement.
+1... But just wanted to point out the OCC is outside PIT, not PHL.
Old May 21, 2015, 8:58 am
Original Poster

Thanks. From a west coaster, Moon Township may as well be... on the moon!

But if HQ for the whole enchilada is at DFW, this is where they need everyone. No way IMO could they continue with split centers, or they'd not spend the many millions it's requiring for this move.

I'm sure there's high disappointment in Pittsburgh; 600 jobs in tech is a lot of loss.

Link Here's a detailed blog article, part four of a series, of "behind the scenes at AA" that covers the current IOC with lots of photos.

Last edited by JDiver; May 21, 2015 at 9:03 am
Old May 21, 2015, 11:23 am

Programs: DL-Platinum / AS-PlatPro / Hyatt - Glob / Hilton-Diamond
Originally Posted by JDiver
Link Here's a detailed blog article, part four of a series, of "behind the scenes at AA" that covers the current IOC with lots of photos.
Thanks for the info and link.
I've worked the gates, Tower (both sides) and SOC. But I left 13 years ago after a 20 year career.

Since leaving, I've often wondered how both the Tower and SOC have handled the growth.
I know the Tower has changed since it was a 2 terminal operation in my days. The wall on the Operations side of the Tower was a solid array of 40+ TVs watching the gates. Individual monitors at each station must be a big improvement. On the "tower" side of the Tower we tracked aircraft movements with little plastic "pucks" on a map of the terminal area.

SOC was busting at the seams in my days, even though it was a fairly new building. It looks as if they've changed the furniture on the main floor to squeeze each work station closer ... I remember it being much lighter and open than these photos show.

I agree that a centralized location is needed. I can't imagine the nightmare of trying to run an operation of this size with split operation centers.
There were times when DFW was major OSO ("off sked operation", what FT'ers call "IRROPS") that I felt part of the DFW Operations functions would've been better served at SOC.
Old May 21, 2015, 11:28 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the point of view, steve64.

I was a global troubleshooter / installer for ATC and related systems at one time; I know how hectic air OP's can be. (Part of that awareness, I feel, also made me a better pilot - understanding both sides helped.)
Old Sep 14, 2015, 9:45 pm
Original Poster

The new Robert W. Baker Integrated Operations Center at Dallas-Ft. Worth, bringing together legacy American Airlines and US Airways personnel and Ops Center functions, opens 14 September 2015.

Current IOC (Dallas Morning News)

Second floor console area (boardingarea)

6 fun facts about American Airlines’ new operations center: Check out No. 4
Dallas Morning News Airline Biz Blog, 14 Sep 2015 by Sheryl Jean

Link to full article

Tomorrow (14 Sep 2015), the carrier will dedicate the $88 million center as another major milestone toward the completion of its merger integration with US Airways nearly 18 months after they merged...

2. The 24/7 center houses roughly 1,600 employees.

3. The 149,000-square-foot building is the equivalent of 2.5 football fields.

4. The building is designed to withstand winds associated with a 165-185 mph tornado.

Last edited by JDiver; Sep 14, 2015 at 9:54 pm Reason: Update w/ images

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.