Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

LUS: Reminisce / Nostalgia: "Goodbye US Airways" - tributes, photo essays, etc.

Old Oct 14, 2015, 9:41 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Reminiscence / Nostalgia: Saying "Goodbye" to US Airways
Tributes, memories, photos, etc.

This thread is for your experiences, memories, tributes, photos, etc. with US Airways, US Air, America West, Piedmont, etc. Purely negative and snarky comments will be summarily deleted.

This thread was in the legacy US Airways forum until October 17, 2015, when it moved to the "Combined" (now American Airlines | AAdvantage) forum for members' convenience and further additions.

/AA Moderator team
Print Wikipost

LUS: Reminisce / Nostalgia: "Goodbye US Airways" - tributes, photo essays, etc.

Old Oct 13, 2015, 2:34 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
I remember the inflight safety and video welcome. It showed someone turning off a mini CD player before flight (before the days of Ipods and then Iphones). Not until after the merger did I realize that Parker had ripped out the overhead monitors and whatever IFE there was on the A319, 320 and 321s. I also remember US flying 321s between LGA and PHL.
Old Oct 13, 2015, 8:05 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Now we can all enjoy it again:

Old Oct 14, 2015, 7:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
Wow, those passengers are extremely well dressed.
Old Oct 14, 2015, 8:31 am

Programs: Chick-Fil-A Red, Wawa, Red Cross blood donor
Originally Posted by DenverBrian
Wow, those passengers are extremely well dressed.
Briefcases...legroom...empty overhead bins!
Old Oct 14, 2015, 9:04 am

Location: The views I express here are not necessarily supported by any airline or codeshare partners, nor do I represent their views and/or opinions. They are my own OPINIONS dont like them dont read them.....
Good Bye Ole Friend

I started flying in 1987. I was unemployed, 23, and needed a job.

A friend at my gym was a recruiter for then Piedmont Airlines. He told me they were hiring a lot of flight attendants and if I was hired in early 1987, I would be sitting pretty. Intrigued, I applied, went to one of the cattle calls in CLT, and crossed my fingers. Sure enough, I was hired and I started my airline career with Piedmont Airlines in February of 1987.

In 1989 Piedmont merged with USAir. While not here to debate that merger, what it DID do was allow me the chance to live in many cities in the USA. I was based in DCA, LAX, and SFO. I enjoyed all the places I lived and continued to make lasting friendships. That time my life was all about the airline industry. My life revolved around USAir.

In 1992 I moved to NYC. I had moved to many ports for that special someone and decided I wanted to move somewhere for ME. So I chose NYC. At the time USAir had no base in NY so I tried all the area bases (PIT, PHL, DCA) before staying in PHL. It was easy to take the train.

In 1998 USAir changed it's name to US Airways to be more global, took order of a lot of widebody aircraft and new 320 family baby buses. At the time time we were managing the Trump Shuttle under the US brand and then purchased it. I was able to transfer to LGA in 1998.

I enjoyed my time in NYC and found myself learning more about me, but distancing myself from the industry. US Airways had suffered many hard times over the years and I lived with a lot of uncertainty. I made friends of many backgrounds in NYC and at times thought of leaving the industry.

But it gets in your blood. As we say, once the jet fuel gets in your veins, its hard to do anything else. The flexibility and time off fed my lifestyle. Seniority is king and I was starting to actually get some.

And then September 11 hit. I was in Manhattan that morning. My country, my city, my industry had been attacked. And in many ways, my lifestyle. The industry went in a tailspin and so did I.

After 12 years in NYC and not one but 2 Chapter 11's by US Airway, NYC was too costly. I had lost the passion for living there. I needed a change. So I moved to CLT.

Years later America West would merge with US Airways. The airline I knew, for better or worse, was gone. All US Airways as we knew it now could do was reinvent and survive. And survive they did.

Many will argue the merits of DP and the AWA team, but their conservative ways saved my job and set the tone for the merger with AA. I know in my heart US Airways was a heartbeat from closing the doors. Too many mistakes in the past 15 years, accidents, missteps along with 9/11 placed US Airways at the top of the most vulnerable of the majors to fail. I knew it, my coworkers knew it, the customer knew it, and Wall Street knew it. But too many times I and many of my coworkers would deny this and make excuses.

We had been warned for YEARS about high cost and the inability to compete on a world stage.

When it became clear that we were still in the situation and that we had to drop the LCC mantra and compete as a legacy, the pressure was on to find a partner.

Of course the rest is history and now I work for American Airlines.

What have I learned from my 28 plus years of flying, many mergers, and a changed industry? Here is my somewhat funny, serious, and sarcastic viewpoint not to be taken to literally or seriously.

1. I still love my job. Yes, being in the public eye can be stressful. Everyone has a camera and smartphone, so you must be on your game at all times.

2. It's still the best job in the world. I love my time off, time on, flexibility of schedule, the layovers, and the fact that every day is different. Who else can have breakfast in Manhattan and dinner by the Bay in SFO?

3.People haven't really changed. Just their toys and tools.

4. Food is out, Wifi is in.

5. Tight seats are tolerated but connectivity is King.

6. Being glued to the scenery from the window is out. Games and all entertainment glued into a tablet, computer , or cell phone are in.

7.Customers are more like commuters in a subway today. FA's take that personally.

8. Many customers (usually younger) could care less about a smile and/or hello. 30 year old and up customers DO.

9. Under 30's customers are more self sufficient. Over 40's want things like they remember when they were younger.

10. Customers complained about the food in 1987. Customers complain about NO food in 2015.

11. Most FA's were playful and professional then. Many are tired, burned out, and scared of another 9/11 today.

12. FA's suffer from a lot of contradictions. They are tolerant of so many but quick to jump to conclusions and bully if threatened. Many need to chill. Customers are our bread and butter.

13. FA's still like a kind face and hello. We hate to be ignored.

14. FA's like manners and a good sense of humor. The more wicked, sick, and dark, the better for me.

15. FA's are older today and more likely to take measures to protect their health (sitting down in turbulence) and have seen enough BS to not take it from anyone. See #11 and #12

16. Customers complain basically about everything.

17. FA's complain basically about everything.

18. Customers love to break the rules.

19. FA's love to break the rules.

20. Customers hate TSA and Customs.

21. FA's hate TSA and Customs.

22. Many customers see the FA's as the enemy.

23. Many FA's see the customer as the enemy.

24. Both need a 12 Step Program.

25. Both need a hug.

So I will continue to be the best Flight Attendant I can be and treat you with kindness, respect and most importantly, the way I would like to be treated.

My hope for the new American is that all employees will be put thru a refresher course on how to treat customers in a post 9/11 world. It never has been done and I feel important. It may not help many. Some will ride the union protection train and be rude and hateful till they die but many will digest and apply what they learn.

I grew up in this industry. I was 24 when I started...a baby. Insecure, immature, and all over the place. Today, I am 53, grown up, wiser, more compassionate, and less likely to take things personally.

I grew up with US Airways. Love her or hate her, she impacted my life and provided opportunities I never would had experienced had I not ventured into this industry, For this I am thankful and I say to US Airways....Goodbye, ole friend.

Last edited by flight62; Oct 14, 2015 at 9:32 am
Old Oct 14, 2015, 9:15 am
Original Member

Programs: Hyatt Courtesy card. Delta 2MM Diamond. AA platinum pro
That was wonderful. Thank you. ^
Old Oct 14, 2015, 9:19 am

I remember the night when Piedmont "passed into history." Spent many a college weekend flying back and forth on those Pacemakers. October 17th will come and go, too. Thanks for your post.
Old Oct 14, 2015, 9:29 am

Programs: AA EXP...couple hotels and cars too
Thanks for that.

A cool look back: http://www.airliners.net/aviation-fo....main/6520825/
Old Oct 14, 2015, 9:33 am

Programs: DL 360, Marriott Ambassador, AA Plat
Wow. Amazing post. Thanks for writing. Loved your 25 points
Old Oct 14, 2015, 10:00 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by flight62
I started flying in 1987. I was unemployed, 23, and needed a job.

<snip>

24. Both need a 12 Step Program.

25. Both need a hug.

So I will continue to be the best Flight Attendant I can be and treat you with kindness, respect and most importantly, the way I would like to be treated.

My hope for the new American is that all employees will be put thru a refresher course on how to treat customers in a post 9/11 world. It never has been done and I feel important. It may not help many. Some will ride the union protection train and be rude and hateful till they die but many will digest and apply what they learn.

I grew up in this industry. I was 24 when I started...a baby. Insecure, immature, and all over the place. Today, I am 53, grown up, wiser, more compassionate, and less likely to take things personally.

I grew up with US Airways. Love her or hate her, she impacted my life and provided opportunities I never would had experienced had I not ventured into this industry, For this I am thankful and I say to US Airways....Goodbye, ole friend.
Thanks for sharing!

I can promise you, and your colleagues, on any airline, in my seventh decade of flying, I will personalize you, greet you and treat you with respect unless that respect is lost through actions of yours - at which point I will disengage. No need to get upset for me, I just don't have any interest and too many experiences for that.

Seriously, thank you for sharing that - it feels like it's straight from the heart. It sounds like you've grown resilience, perspective, tolerance, understanding, not taking things personally when one of us boards with the hidden emotional baggage we carry, and I wish you continued success in a career that too many undervalue or disparage. (Maybe the airlines should show a video extract of your annual requalification training?)

I agree with a lot of what you've shared. Change is, yep, it just is. It's up to each and every one of us as to what we squeeze out of that change. I've flown HP, US, AA (since the 1940s) and we're all in for some change to this new, hybrid AA that emerges October 17. We Vietnam veterans were not welcomed home when we returned (often, derided and insulted); we have a ritual of welcoming each other home when we meet a fellow "Viet vet".

Cabin crew or passengers on the new AA, let's not fail to welcome each other aboard.
Old Oct 14, 2015, 1:04 pm

Location: The views I express here are not necessarily supported by any airline or codeshare partners, nor do I represent their views and/or opinions. They are my own OPINIONS dont like them dont read them.....
Originally Posted by JDiver
Thanks for sharing!

I can promise you, and your colleagues, on any airline, in my seventh decade of flying, I will personalize you, greet you and treat you with respect unless that respect is lost through actions of yours - at which point I will disengage. No need to get upset for me, I just don't have any interest and too many experiences for that.

Seriously, thank you for sharing that - it feels like it's straight from the heart. It sounds like you've grown resilience, perspective, tolerance, understanding, not taking things personally when one of us boards with the hidden emotional baggage we carry, and I wish you continued success in a career that too many undervalue or disparage. (Maybe the airlines should show a video extract of your annual requalification training?)

I agree with a lot of what you've shared. Change is, yep, it just is. It's up to each and every one of us as to what we squeeze out of that change. I've flown HP, US, AA (since the 1940s) and we're all in for some change to this new, hybrid AA that emerges October 17. We Vietnam veterans were not welcomed home when we returned (often, derided and insulted); we have a ritual of welcoming each other home when we meet a fellow "Viet vet".

Cabin crew or passengers on the new AA, let's not fail to welcome each other aboard.
Glad you and others get my sense of humor. See ya in the air.
Old Oct 14, 2015, 4:04 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Originally Posted by flight62
Glad you and others get my sense of humor. See ya in the air.
Your post was amazing. Now I am dating myself here but I always have desired a window seat even after million of miles flown. Old fashion I love the views. When people are stuck looking at the screen of their phone they miss what is really interesting from the Rockies to the Manhattan skyline to the endless lights of South Florida to the shores of Australia. Being in customer service, particularly in times of stress is tough. You are the face of the flight and airline so you get the blame and the attitude. Keep smiling and remember the customers that made your day. Sadly manners seem to be out of fashion. Can't tell you even in F how people won't even look at the flight attendant when he/she asks meal or beverage preference or serves same.
Old Oct 15, 2015, 12:18 pm

Programs: PA WorldPass Platinum, AA, DL, LH. GHA Black, SPG and HHonors Gold
Adding link to another photo essay to commemorate the last days.

Photo Essay: The Last Days of US Airways
Old Oct 16, 2015, 7:23 am

Programs: AAdvantage, MileagePlus, SkyMiles
Flight62, what you shared is amazing and also reassuring. US Airways definitely has been through a lot, and the fact that it still stands today is great.

I know many at the AA forum (and the other legacies) love to deride US Airways, but I've always liked US and am a bit sad to see it go. At the same time, here's to the new American!
Old Oct 16, 2015, 7:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
What I get out of the posts is that most of the derision is reserved for the HP component of US. (Ripping IFE out of planes is a good example.) Can't find anyone that truly likes or respects Doug Parker.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.