Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: AA - US Reservations Merger 18 Jul - 16 Oct; US code / brand end 17 Oct 2015

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 11, 2015, 5:30 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
"One system. One code." Target: Effective Saturday, October 17, 2015.
AA and US Computer Reservations and Passenger Services Systems Merge 18 Jul - 16 Oct 2015
US Shares data moved to AA Sabre (with the QIK overlay used by US) in 3 month "draindown" process.
LAA - LUS fora move to "Combined" forum occurs 17-18 October.

NOTE: This thread is now archived. For the current thread, please see AA -US CRS & PSS and Brand Merger 17 Oct 2015 - Issues, Q & A, Etc.
OCTOBER 17 2015 CHANGES: The AA front page now links to nhttps://www.aa.com/i18n/aboutUs/arriving.jsp, which lists changes on October 17 at BOS, DCA, SFO.

BOS: Special notice Link

Beginning October 17, we’ll only operate out of Terminal B. There will be 3 check-in locations, marked outside by gate number.
DCA: Special notice Link

Beginning October 17, we’ll operate out of Terminals B and C. American Shuttle flights and ticket counters will move to Terminal B, as well as ticket counters for Priority. Ticket counters for Main Cabin will be in Terminal C.
SFO: Special notice Link

We operate out of Terminals 1 and 2. Ticket counters are only available in Terminal 2..
Note: "Just the facts: changes and issues occurring 17 Oct 2015" and "Drain down" (Shares -> Sabre merger) discrepancies, errors, bugs etc. for issues, troubles, etc. have been merged into this thread.
Executive summary:
  • All flights will be changed to AA, reservations and bookings controls to Sabre and aa.com for flights effective 17 October.

• All US Shares data will move to AA Sabre by 17 Oct; the QIK interface used with Shares will be added to Sabre.

• On Saturday, 17 October., AA will have 20% higher than normal staffing to assist.

• On Saturday, 17 October., AA will reduce by 200 flights for that day.

• All policies going forward will be Legacy American Airlines, unless otherwise modified. US Airways policies will no longer apply.

• Full rebranding (other than aircraft reprinting, which will proceed well into 2016 at least) will be carried out by October 17 - all flight coding, kiosk and ticket counter, lounge (previously completed), etc. will be done.

• The US Airways brand will cease to exist 17 October 2015.
NOTE: Reverse chronological order.

Chicago Tribune, 14 Oct 2015, c/o XLR26 (post #410):

From an article in today's Chicago Tribune:

American Airlines officials say they have spared no expense to decrease the chances the airline will have trouble Saturday but can't guarantee complete success. Here's what American has done so far:

• It switched to the larger airline's reservation system, which requires moving less data and less retraining of employees.

• In July, it began draining US Airways reservations from the system, leaving fewer records to migrate, just 4 percent of all reservations.

• American did six full-scale tests of the migration with 5 million mock plane reservations.

• Staffing levels at airports will be increased 20 percent Saturday.

• American's flight schedule Saturday has been reduced by some 200 flights.

• Airport agents and reservation agents had extra training.

• USAirways.com will automatically redirect to AA.com on Saturday, and the US Airways mobile app will be disabled.

Full article: link (May need to Google the headline to avoid the paywall.)
23 Sep 2015: Latest in Sabre dated 9/23 (c/o skunker, post #392)
An important message from American Global Sales

In preparation for moving all US Airways flights to the Sabre reservation system, American Global Sales encourages you to process any remaining merger schedule changes and reissue tickets on the original ticket stock no later than October 1, 2015. This will ensure you maintain control of these tickets.

After October 1, American may reissue any tickets you haven't processed to ensure all customers are ready for travel on or after October 17. On that day, Sabre will serve as the single reservation system and all flights will use the American Airlines code.
Obviously this is aimed at TAs, but if you have tickets issued by a TA you might want to check that they have be reissued correctly

This FAQ should be viewable by all: http://www.aasaleslink.com/servlet/s...0PE000000L05GR see skunker, below.

17 Sep: 30 days away, and all flights show as AA after 16 Oct - online meal ordering on aa.com works for US flights now coded AA flights.

Sep 15 2015: AA has adopted US' baggage tracking system (SITA World Tracer system here). Better tracking, but you MUST file your claim at the airport now; calling won't do.

From JonNYC, 19 Jul 2015 (post #175):

Originally Posted by JonNYC
PNR migration is now 100% complete.

And, things should be mostly bookable by this afternoon.
From JonNYC 10 July 2015 (post #103):

http://viewfromthewing.boardingarea....next-saturday/

American begins the process of moving US Airways flights and reservations over to become American Airlines flights and reservations. It’s a 90 day process, so October 17 there will no longer be US Airways flights.

Starting next weekend, US Airways flights October 17 onward will be moved over to American’s reservation system. Attempts to book flights 17 Oct or later are referred to aa.com.
From swag: The farewell flight for US Airways will be a red-eye — Flight 434 is scheduled to leave San Francisco around 10 p.m. and land in Philadelphia after 6 a.m. on Oct. 18.

http://news.yahoo.com/last-flight-us...--finance.html

BUT in light of what AA says, might it be 16 October?
AA partial statement 10 Jul 2015:

Scheduled on a US Airways flight departing on or after October 17? Here's what to keep in mind:
  • Once your flight becomes an American flight, we'll send you an email with your itinerary and new record locator. Look for the subject line: "An important update to your reservation." If you booked through a travel agent, you can view your reservation on aa.com as early as July 20.
  • Upgrades on domestic flights will be auto-requested if everyone in your reservation is eligible for a complimentary upgrade. If everyone isn't eligible, you'll need to manually request the upgrade.
  • Upgrades for a companion traveling on the same flight will need to be requested using 500-mile upgrades. If you want to upgrade a companion, make sure you request it.
  • You can request upgrades on aa.com, by calling reservations or your travel agent, or at the airport on the day of travel.
  • As always, you can get alerts for all of your flights by signing up for BeNotified. And, you can download the American Airlines app for a more personalized mobile experience and quick access to all of your flight information.
Originally Posted by skunker
(11 Jun 2015) Just noticed this in Sabre

We have been working with American Airlines since they announced the process of transitioning the US Airways reservations from Shares to Sabre. We would like to provide you with the following update:

This will begin with a merger schedule change process as early as July 2015, which will convert all US Airways flights from about 90 days out and beyond to American flights. As a result, you will notice these existing PNRs with US segments will be updated to reflect this change and will appear as AA segments. American currently is conducting various tests and business readiness assessments and will identify specific dates once these activities are complete.
WSJ 12 May 2015: American Airlines Group Inc. plans this summer to meld key computer systems from the two carriers that combined in its merger 17 months ago, as it works toward eliminating the US Airways brand by the end of this year.

The company said in a letter to ticket sellers on Tuesday that it would begin the transition as early as July, with the final so-called cutover happening 90 days later, when flights with the US Airways brand will end. That milestone would signal the company is finished with the biggest parts of the integration kicked off by the December 2013 merger between the former American and US Airways to form the world’s biggest airline.
"Drain down" from AA : The transition period of ninety days is being called a "drain down", according to IT Chief Maya Lieberman, who said the benefit of the AA - US merger is that AA has learned from the other (NW - DL, UA - CO) mergers - albeit once the process has begun, there can be no turning back. The "drain down" period will lead to no US flights existing after the 90th day; all sites, kiosks, flights, passenger service lines etc. will be branded American Airlines. Those attempting booking flights during this 90 day period for US flights beyond the 90 day transition period will be redirected to booking AA flights on aa.com.

This is being referred to as "One system. One code."

There are a lot of details that could change in a PNR, but this is probably the most important:
•Seat Assignments – All US seats previously assigned will be re-accommodated as the same seat number on the AA flight
[/quote]

Suggestion: For your comfort, ease of upgrades and miles posting, do not book codeshares. At some point soon, you won't be allowed to book US flights for October 17 or later.

When it's over, all upgrades and other policies will follow the current AA AAdvantage system; the vestiges of the US upgrade system, move up, etc. will be gone.

[/COLOR]
Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: AA - US Reservations Merger 18 Jul - 16 Oct; US code / brand end 17 Oct 2015

Search this Thread

Old Jul 4, 2015, 2:49 pm

Do anyone know how Award Reservation will be migrated that was made on US Airways? Will the move to the AA Sabre system or still be on the US System?
Old Jul 4, 2015, 2:54 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold Marriott Gold AA Gold Choice Gold Wyndham PLAT IHG PLAT Avis President's Club Amtrak Select
Originally Posted by rsydney
Do anyone know how Award Reservation will be migrated that was made on US Airways? Will the move to the AA Sabre system or still be on the US System?
SABRE. The drawdown should have commenced or will be commenced within the next few days. The migration of 10% of US flights, will happen in October. They are going very cautious and easy on this. Parker admitted one of the mistakes with the US/HP merger was the switch to SHARES, HP's system. By sticking with SABRE and the slow drawdown, every effort to ensure the mistake UA/CO and US/HP won't happen again. (DL/NW is the exception since both used Worldspan)
Old Jul 4, 2015, 3:01 pm

No sure if you answered my question. I have a Dividend Award that only show up on US Airways website for next year Jan 2016. Will this be migrated over to AA Sabre system? It is a oneworld partner ticket but was booked via US Airways system.
Old Jul 4, 2015, 3:01 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by Joanna2360
Thank you, ty97 & J Diver. I've taken the screen shots and then emailed them to myself, so they'll be handy. In the meantime, I'm still listed with AA one day ahead of the actual, now well-documented departure date that appears on the still-accurate, still active US site, but I'm not seeing others posting about the same kind of anomaly, maybe a very good thing, but unnerving on this end.
We've started a thread (well, we converted a thread): http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...-bugs-etc.html as there is now one more report of the same glitch, and there may be more. Better to have these in one place and be able to keep our eyes on what's going on.
Old Jul 4, 2015, 3:06 pm

No sure if you answered my question. I have a Dividend Award that only show up on US Airways website for next year Jan 2016. Will this be migrated over to AA Sabre system? It is a oneworld partner ticket but was booked via US Airways system.
From what has been announced, all flights will recode to AA, and all data, CRS and PSS and booking functions will migrate to Sabre - by the beginning of October. They've also announced policy will all be AA then as well, so ostensibly your itinerary rules may change as well.

If there are changes you can make with US that are favorable, I'd check the USDM Awards thread in the US forum and get them done, as I believe that might not be an option at some point. OTOH if AA policy would assist you more, wait and hope.
Old Jul 4, 2015, 3:12 pm

Would that mean that I can change date/time as per AA policy? I have a stopover in my award will I still have this with a date/time change?
Old Jul 4, 2015, 6:24 pm

Would that mean that I can change date/time as per AA policy? I have a stopover in my award will I still have this with a date/time change?
If AA policy rules, yes, you would be able to make those changes; I fear that to take advantage of that, one could jeopardize their stopover.. But I'm speculating here, and we'll not know until it's all done. Until then the best advice is probably in http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/us-ai...-faq-help.html.
Old Jul 4, 2015, 10:43 pm

Programs: AA EXP >3 Million miles,HH Lifetime Diamond
I have a ticketed award lhr to phl connecting to ord on Oct 6. I went to look on AA. Com tonight and I can't access the reservation. I looked at the schedule and it looks like there are no flights after 225 pm from phl to ord, and the flight arrives in phl at 125 pm. It's a holiday weekend so I'm not calling AA until Monday, but trying to figure out the best option. Would love to be put on the nonstop to ord, certainly don't want to have to overnight in phl due to a schedule change
Old Jul 5, 2015, 7:17 am
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
I did a search on GOOGLE FLIGHTS, there are lots of flts. phl-ord after 2:25 pm (on 10/6), the latest seems to be 1714 dep. phl at 8:35 pm. GOOGLE can't deal with award tickets, so there may be no SAVER flts. after 2:25 pm.
[If your existing res. is on USAir, try logging onto www.usairways.com, click AAdvantage (at the top), then my acct.--it may show up there.]
AA has trouble dealing with USAirways locators, but if you know the TICKET NUMBER, they should be able to find your info.
Old Jul 5, 2015, 1:16 pm

So.. I looked today and there are later flights maybe they were loaded last night after looked. Today my exp hubby called and got a good agent to look at the changes and my awards are back on request and waiting to be tickeTed. This is the second time already there has been a schedule change, and my daughter is on a separate PNR on the same flights so just trying to make sure all is synced up and no issues. You do need to look every few weeks to see all is still as originally planned
Old Jul 7, 2015, 11:05 am

Programs: BA Silver, ZSL Silver
I have a booking on US metal, booked on aa.com. Neither the US nor the AA PNR is showing up on the My Flights app, which apparently should find all Amadeus and Sabre bookings. I made the booking a month ago for flights in December. Could this changeover be the reason they're not showing? Another flight (I think on US metal), booked as a BA Avios redemption (so ba.com) with an AA flight number is showing, however.
Old Jul 8, 2015, 10:58 am

Originally Posted by gustavmahler
I have a booking on US metal, booked on aa.com. Neither the US nor the AA PNR is showing up on the My Flights app, which apparently should find all Amadeus and Sabre bookings. I made the booking a month ago for flights in December. Could this changeover be the reason they're not showing? Another flight (I think on US metal), booked as a BA Avios redemption (so ba.com) with an AA flight number is showing, however.
Is it showing up on the websites themselves?
Old Jul 8, 2015, 5:23 pm

I just want to be sure I understand I have an award booked with aa miles on us flighrs Oct 5 and 6. They have been re ticketed twice already including today for flight number and small schedule changes but they are still ticketed as US flight numbers LHR to PHL and PHL to ORD. Should I expect that there will be more changes and these flights will end up as AA flight numbers and need to be re ticketed again? I don't want to be obsessive but how often should we be checking. My daughter is on another PNR on the same flights and I want to be synced up.
Old Jul 8, 2015, 5:43 pm

Originally Posted by worldiswide
I just want to be sure I understand I have an award booked with aa miles on us flighrs Oct 5 and 6. They have been re ticketed twice already including today for flight number and small schedule changes but they are still ticketed as US flight numbers LHR to PHL and PHL to ORD. Should I expect that there will be more changes and these flights will end up as AA flight numbers and need to be re ticketed again? I don't want to be obsessive but how often should we be checking. My daughter is on another PNR on the same flights and I want to be synced up.
I'd not be surprised at changes.

I'm guessing they might not need reticketing, as the flight numbers have already been rationalised - but they probably won't be US coded flights.
Old Jul 8, 2015, 9:24 pm

Great. Thanks.. I'll be sure to keep checking

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.