Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Paying fee for award ticket with CC that doesn't match account holders name

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Paying fee for award ticket with CC that doesn't match account holders name

Search this Thread

Old Oct 22, 2016, 8:46 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Originally Posted by princeville
I booked award flights for my husband using AA miles (combo of AA, BA and IB flights) a few months ago. I had to go through an agent since IB can't be booked online and she insisted that the card used had to have his name on it. Since he wasn't home I had to call back to finish the booking when I had that. I don't know if anyone actually asked to see his card when he travelled, though.
HUCA
Old Oct 28, 2016, 11:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This is an issue for me on a semi-regular basis. I often will use my daughter's miles to book trips for my mother to come visit. A four year old Aadvantage member, of course, does not have a credit card in her name, so I generally just put the itinerary on hold and then call to use my own card. The agents are always able to complete the booking and waive the fee for ticketing by phone. And my mother has never been asked to produce my credit card to travel.
Old Feb 20, 2019, 9:12 am

Programs: status free since 2017
Stuck at this issue as well. Pretty idiotic and unfriendly imo. But moving on...

I am trying to book an award ticket for myself using my mom's account but the cc is mine (she doesn't have one). No paypal allowed with AA and her going to the airport is not an option.

Any recent workaround to this bit? How about prepaid cards? Any datapoints?
Old Feb 20, 2019, 9:15 am

Programs: AA exp 3mm Hertz 5*
I would try buying an AA giftcard and using that.
Old Feb 20, 2019, 10:08 am

Originally Posted by Snuggs
I would try buying an AA giftcard and using that.
It's not a payment option on award tickets.
Old Feb 20, 2019, 11:30 am

Programs: AA lt gold, HH Diamond, marriott pl
An AA agent told me to that persons name in and my credit card number, have been doing it for years with no problem at all
mvoight likes this.
Old Feb 20, 2019, 1:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Chase Ultimate Rewards 2MM, Diner Club points
Originally Posted by Krysia
An AA agent told me to that persons name in and my credit card number, have been doing it for years with no problem at all
Yes, most credit card verification only uses CVV and zip code.
Old Feb 20, 2019, 1:29 pm

Originally Posted by rufflesinc
Yes, most credit card verification only uses CVV and zip code.
Thats what I thought too. But I tested before posting here. Didn't work.
Old Feb 20, 2019, 1:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by ytjk
I'm trying to book some awards--- using Grandma's miles for grandson. Grandma lives in Germany. We have been buying her tickets for years.

I'm booking a 30,000 mile 1 way award to Germany.

Costs $5.60

Grandma doesn't have a credit card. She's not really into that.

When I try to pay the $5.60 I get rejected because the billing name does not match the miles account name.

Gives me a hard stop. I put the reservation on hold.

Just checking if I have an option that doesn't include "call them and pay the (Not sure) $25 or $35 booking fee..........

Thanks
YTJK
Have "HER" call........and, yes, I mean someone else.............
I think you can use someone else's card if you call.
If you put the ticket on hold online, you should not have to pay the phone fee
FWIW, A couple of years ago, I used my daughter's name (same last name) with my credit card info and it worked online
Old Feb 20, 2019, 1:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Krysia
Did this for my daughter. I didn't know if it worked with different last names. But, I suspect it might
Old Feb 20, 2019, 1:53 pm

The agents sometimes ask that the name on the AAdvantage account and credit card match, but it's not built into the system and so is not a hard requirement when ticketing by phone. Hence the various anecdotes.

Some weeks ago the agent mistakenly charged my AAdvantage account when I'd asked that the award be charged to my wife's account. But she correctly took the fee out of my wife's account. (Different last names; partner booking that could not have been ticketed online.) The computer did not block it .
Old Feb 20, 2019, 2:05 pm

Oh well, I'll just add her on one of my cards as free AU, do this task and cancel AU card.

I bet, they will not be able to run any checks on prepaid cards and cc companies will issue AU cards for anyone (no dob, ssn needed). There is absolutely no security from this restriction.

This is beyond stupid on AA's part that cardholder must be same as AA accountholder.
Old Feb 20, 2019, 3:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by carsnoceans
Oh well, I'll just add her on one of my cards as free AU, do this task and cancel AU card.

I bet, they will not be able to run any checks on prepaid cards and cc companies will issue AU cards for anyone (no dob, ssn needed). There is absolutely no security from this restriction.

This is beyond stupid on AA's part that cardholder must be same as AA accountholder.
Some CC ask for the AU's SSN. In fact, my wife's credit rating includes cards she is an AU on
Old Feb 20, 2019, 3:12 pm

Originally Posted by mvoight
Some CC ask for the AU's SSN. In fact, my wife's credit rating includes cards she is an AU on
Visa doesnt and AMEX gives 60 days before forcing any SSN requirement. Dunno about MC but all that is besides the main point.

If I can circumvent it, someone with malicious intent will do this much more ease.
Old Feb 20, 2019, 9:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by carsnoceans
Thats what I thought too. But I tested before posting here. Didn't work.
Maybe it depends on the card.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.