Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Dreamliner 787-8 / 788 Zodiac Business Seats & Reviews (master thd)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 9, 2016, 5:10 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
Boeing 787-8 (788) Zodiac Concept D Business Suite Business Class Seats Selection Guide & Reviews

There were 20 787-8 Dreamliners at the end of 2018, now gradually expanding to 42 total 788s in the AA fleet.

This thread is dedicated to discussion of the Boeing 787-8 Dreamliner with Zodiac Concept D Business Suite Business class seating and service

For the 787-9, see Boeing 787-9 / 789: Business (Rockwell Collins (née B/E) Super Diamond Seat, Service (master thd)

The 787-8 offers 20 modified Zodiac "Concept D" Business Suite all aisle access "podded" seats in 1-2-1 with back to back seating in the center pairs, and alternating front and rear facing window seats. They are said to be 21-26" wide, and have 60-61" pitch upright in pods with full aisle access and 77" in the horizontal "bed" position. True AVOD offering up to 250 movies, 160 TV shows, 13 radio channels, 375 albums and 20 games, is offered via cabled handset controllers to large flat touch screens. Power offered is 110 VAC via universal plugs and 5 VDC USB. Bose QuietComfort headsets with noise reduction are provided (picked up about one hour prior to arrival). Ku-Band satellite WiFi is offered for sale.

The Dreamliner "big sister" model (22 787-9, first in service September 2016, has Collins (née B/E Aerospace) Super Diamond Solo seats that largely avoid the Zodiac problems, is the "big sister"). The second batch of 787-8s (787T) differ from the first batch and are fitted with Collins Super Diamond seats.

Zodiac "Concept D Business Suite" seats connected "at the head" are affected by movement from the seat they are connected to, often referred to on FT as "motion over the ocean". The Business seats that are unconnected and stable in 787-8 J are 1D&H, 5A&L.

Remedial seat stability fix announced 9 Oct 2016 by John Walton, Runway Girl Network (link)

"Jay Mapston, American’s manager of onboard products, cabin design, spoke to Runway Girl Network with praiseworthy candor about the airline’s current situation and plans. To start, Mapston explains the 787-8 fleet’s (Zodiac) Concept D (Business Suite) will see remedial stability work to fix the much-discussed issue where the seats shake when an adjoining passenger moves."

As of July 2019, no such fix has been put in place. The seat modification has to be designed, submitted to the FAA for certification (STC) and approved, the parts manufactured and seats modified. Normally, the seat manufacturer would do this, but as AA terminated the Zodiac contract for failure to perform. It’s anyone’s guess when and if a fix is forthcoming.

AA canceled the contract with Zodiac for inability to comply with scheduled delivery times, causing seatless Dreamliners to sit out availability idled in the desert and causing considerable delay for the 777-200ER refurbishment. The seats were NOT used for the 787-9 nor more than half the 47 aircraft 772 fleet, and it is likely the newly ordered 788s will be equipped with Super Diamond Seats.
Due to the modifications AA required of Zodiac for these seats, there are some peculiarities reported:
  • Many seats are interlaced with others - passenger in one moves, the linked seat moves. "Motion over the ocean" is induced by the partner seat attached at the head,
  • Forward facing seats may have more restricted shoulder room / width when flat than aft facing
  • Middle seat privacy dividers were balky and continually slipped into the retracted position, so they were "fixed" in place so they are not passenger operable. Apparently crew fixes them in several configurations: all up, making them great for privacy but nearly impossible for couples wanting to share conversation; all down, making for lower privacy; facing forward up, facing aft down. Some aircraft have them repaired and passenger operable, some not.
  • Rows 1 and 2 center seats have no overhead bins; they were displaced by the crew rest area in the fore fuselage crown.
  • 1A and L are close to lav and galley.
  • Many prefer seats 5A or L as they are unaffected by other seats / passenger movement in seats.
  • 5A and 5L have one window, rather than two.

Link to photos taken by SFO777 here, from his trip on AA2320 DFW-ORD 07:10 - 09:36 Inaugural flight, shared with 68 FlyerTalkers.
Print Wikipost

Dreamliner 787-8 / 788 Zodiac Business Seats & Reviews (master thd)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 12, 2019, 3:32 am

Upgrade just cleared ORD-LHR and I can choose either 1D or 5A (must not be too many FT readers up front on this flight). It’s a day flight so not worried about sleep, but curious if anyone has any thoughts re: galley and potential PE pax disruptions (given the new seating configuration and apparent sharing of lavs between J and PE) for 5A, and galley noise for 1D. Thanks in advance.

Last edited by Rhinopia; Jul 12, 2019 at 3:35 am Reason: Typos
Old Jul 12, 2019, 6:24 am

Galley noise shouldn’t be too bad. It was fine in (the old) 6A. I’d go 5A for several reasons myself. It’s just an overall handy location.
Old Jul 12, 2019, 6:38 am

Programs: American EXP; British Airways Gold
Originally Posted by thunderlounge
Galley noise shouldn’t be too bad. It was fine in (the old) 6A. I’d go 5A for several reasons myself. It’s just an overall handy location.
+1 on the advice from thunderlounge. 1D and 5A are both "unconnected" seats. 1D is super quiet being in the front of the plane, but overhead bin space will be more limited up there due to crew rest compartments eliminating the bin above 1D.

5A is a quiet and private seat. Grab it.
Old Jul 14, 2019, 9:34 am

Programs: DL Gold, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Silver
Haven't flown AA in J for a long time so in a mad dash to get caught up here after having changed flights because of work. Flying ORD-FCO as a couple; we don't talk much but we do check in with each out and like to feel like we are together. If we don't have that, we might prefer to both take window seats. Right now we have 1DH going out. Other open seats are 2A, 3A, 1L and 2L. Coming back we are still in 1DH with a lot of options open. 1L, 2A, 2D, 2H, 3A, 5D, 5H and 5L.

Any recommendations? Worth seating side by side?

Thanks
Old Jul 14, 2019, 9:52 am

When I take my wife along I opt for one behind the other on the window. Works great. You’re not really going to be able to talk, and shouldn’t be on an overnight anyway.

If on the window, you can stand up and check in on occasion. You’re each going to end up settling in and eating, a little IFE, and sleep. Just relax and enjoy the flight.
Old Jul 14, 2019, 9:55 am

Programs: American EXP; British Airways Gold
Originally Posted by golfergal
Haven't flown AA in J for a long time so in a mad dash to get caught up here after having changed flights because of work. Flying ORD-FCO as a couple; we don't talk much but we do check in with each out and like to feel like we are together. If we don't have that, we might prefer to both take window seats. Right now we have 1DH going out. Other open seats are 2A, 3A, 1L and 2L. Coming back we are still in 1DH with a lot of options open. 1L, 2A, 2D, 2H, 3A, 5D, 5H and 5L.

Any recommendations? Worth seating side by side?

Thanks
1DH don't have the "motion" issue, and it's really a pleasant / quiet ride in the front of that bird.

For a couple, you have the two best seats on the airplane. Don't move. Well done.
golfergal likes this.
Old Jul 25, 2019, 1:47 pm

Programs: AA EXP and Marriott Titanium
I'm going to be taking my first ride on one of these in Sept (Just a quick DFW-ORD) and want to give the rear-facing seats a spin. I'm well aware of the rocking but which row (2 or 4) would give the best visibility out the window? I don't really want to be stuck staring at the engine the entire time. Thanks in advance!
Old Aug 20, 2019, 8:48 am

AA 99 LHR to ORD seat 1D?

Hello all,
I’ve never flown the LON to Chicago route before since my company sends us to New York. While I love most AA business seats on that route, I am unfamiliar with seats on the Heathrow to Chicago route. I’ve heard horror stories about zodiac seats moving when other people fidget. I believe the aircraft is an 787-800, departing London at 7.45am.
Any pointers? Many thanks!
Old Aug 20, 2019, 9:13 am

Programs: BA Silver; Hilton Gold; IHG Diamond Ambassador; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by pp202
Hello all,
I’ve never flown the LON to Chicago route before since my company sends us to New York. While I love most AA business seats on that route, I am unfamiliar with seats on the Heathrow to Chicago route. I’ve heard horror stories about zodiac seats moving when other people fidget. I believe the aircraft is an 787-800, departing London at 7.45am.
Welcome to FlyerTalk. It sounds like Dreamliner 787-8 / 788 Zodiac Business Seats & Reviews (master thd) is the thread you need.
Old Aug 20, 2019, 10:53 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Hello all,
Welcome to FlyerTalk. Please read the Wikipost at the top of the page for guidance. The first post also has the following diagram.
Attached Images  
Old Aug 23, 2019, 4:43 am
Suspended

Hello all,
JDiver has answered which seats do not suffer from Motion over the Ocean. I fly ORD-LHR very frequently and the size of problem seems to vary based on the state of wear on the seat (some are quite bad and others hardly noticeable) and the incontinence of the other passenger. Some flights I do not notice as small pax going to bathroom once on flight, others with a big pax behind who use the bathroom every 30 minutes or os it seems and when they sit down again have to bounce around to fit properly. So it is a moveable feast.

Purpose of this post is to say keep watching the booking, as many of my flights have been swapped from 788 to 789. Some months out, some two days before etc. I think demand is building on this route and if the equipment changes then you may wish to change your seat and not leave to last minute when the best seats are gone.
Old Aug 24, 2019, 8:46 pm

I took 2 different 787-8 in the last 2 weeks. Ord-Bcn-Ord. Both had no curtains installed in biz or PE cabin. Is AA discontinuing curtains or is it just 787-8?
Old Aug 25, 2019, 9:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Do 5A or 5L have any misaligned windows?
Old Aug 25, 2019, 9:55 am

Originally Posted by SkyTeam777
Do 5A or 5L have any misaligned windows?
5a and 5L have only 1 window and you need to lean forward. All other seats have 2.
Old Aug 25, 2019, 10:08 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by gateH15
I took 2 different 787-8 in the last 2 weeks. Ord-Bcn-Ord. Both had no curtains installed in biz or PE cabin. Is AA discontinuing curtains or is it just 787-8?
I believe it is a result of rushing in PE to please IAG. (Do not believe it is driving revenue against the old larger business cabin).The 788 was ordered before the PE was decided and the refit just swapped the Seats in the mini cabin.

I suspect when the rocking seats finally get replaced (no time soon) then a slant curtain as in the 77W will be fitted. The problem being no planes have been designed to specifically cope with PE. PE being different things on different carriers. For BA it is a distinct class of travel so you cannot upgrade from Coach to Business where American say have a view that it is an enhanced Coach product with service levels comparable to domestic non Transcontinental first. It will probably need the industry to agree a positioning. Whether it is 4 classes or part of a downgrade from FCM to JWY. This is more complicated to the use carriers make of First, upgrades, VIP’s and non rev which again varies by route. Curtains need to return as the airline is required to demarcate ticketed cabins on international flights by TSA.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.