Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Dreamliner 787-8 / 788 Zodiac Business Seats & Reviews (master thd)

Old Apr 9, 2016, 5:10 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
Boeing 787-8 (788) Zodiac Concept D Business Suite Business Class Seats Selection Guide & Reviews

There were 20 787-8 Dreamliners at the end of 2018, now gradually expanding to 42 total 788s in the AA fleet.

This thread is dedicated to discussion of the Boeing 787-8 Dreamliner with Zodiac Concept D Business Suite Business class seating and service

For the 787-9, see Boeing 787-9 / 789: Business (Rockwell Collins (ne B/E) Super Diamond Seat, Service (master thd)

The 787-8 offers 20 modified Zodiac "Concept D" Business Suite all aisle access "podded" seats in 1-2-1 with back to back seating in the center pairs, and alternating front and rear facing window seats. They are said to be 21-26" wide, and have 60-61" pitch upright in pods with full aisle access and 77" in the horizontal "bed" position. True AVOD offering up to 250 movies, 160 TV shows, 13 radio channels, 375 albums and 20 games, is offered via cabled handset controllers to large flat touch screens. Power offered is 110 VAC via universal plugs and 5 VDC USB. Bose QuietComfort headsets with noise reduction are provided (picked up about one hour prior to arrival). Ku-Band satellite WiFi is offered for sale.

The Dreamliner "big sister" model (22 787-9, first in service September 2016, has Collins (ne B/E Aerospace) Super Diamond Solo seats that largely avoid the Zodiac problems, is the "big sister"). The second batch of 787-8s (787T) differ from the first batch and are fitted with Collins Super Diamond seats.

Zodiac "Concept D Business Suite" seats connected "at the head" are affected by movement from the seat they are connected to, often referred to on FT as "motion over the ocean". The Business seats that are unconnected and stable in 787-8 J are 1D&H, 5A&L.

Remedial seat stability fix announced 9 Oct 2016 by John Walton, Runway Girl Network (link)

"Jay Mapston, Americans manager of onboard products, cabin design, spoke to Runway Girl Network with praiseworthy candor about the airlines current situation and plans. To start, Mapston explains the 787-8 fleets (Zodiac) Concept D (Business Suite) will see remedial stability work to fix the much-discussed issue where the seats shake when an adjoining passenger moves."

As of July 2019, no such fix has been put in place. The seat modification has to be designed, submitted to the FAA for certification (STC) and approved, the parts manufactured and seats modified. Normally, the seat manufacturer would do this, but as AA terminated the Zodiac contract for failure to perform. Its anyones guess when and if a fix is forthcoming.

AA canceled the contract with Zodiac for inability to comply with scheduled delivery times, causing seatless Dreamliners to sit out availability idled in the desert and causing considerable delay for the 777-200ER refurbishment. The seats were NOT used for the 787-9 nor more than half the 47 aircraft 772 fleet, and it is likely the newly ordered 788s will be equipped with Super Diamond Seats.
Due to the modifications AA required of Zodiac for these seats, there are some peculiarities reported:
  • Many seats are interlaced with others - passenger in one moves, the linked seat moves. "Motion over the ocean" is induced by the partner seat attached at the head,
  • Forward facing seats may have more restricted shoulder room / width when flat than aft facing
  • Middle seat privacy dividers were balky and continually slipped into the retracted position, so they were "fixed" in place so they are not passenger operable. Apparently crew fixes them in several configurations: all up, making them great for privacy but nearly impossible for couples wanting to share conversation; all down, making for lower privacy; facing forward up, facing aft down. Some aircraft have them repaired and passenger operable, some not.
  • Rows 1 and 2 center seats have no overhead bins; they were displaced by the crew rest area in the fore fuselage crown.
  • 1A and L are close to lav and galley.
  • Many prefer seats 5A or L as they are unaffected by other seats / passenger movement in seats.
  • 5A and 5L have one window, rather than two.

Link to photos taken by SFO777 here, from his trip on AA2320 DFW-ORD 07:10 - 09:36 Inaugural flight, shared with 68 FlyerTalkers.
Print Wikipost

Dreamliner 787-8 / 788 Zodiac Business Seats & Reviews (master thd)

Old May 12, 2018, 3:00 pm

Programs: UA General Member, AA Gold, SPG (Bonvoy) Gold; IHG Plat. Ambassador
Originally Posted by PASSPORTINHAND

Have flown prevously on AA 787-800. I had 4A, husband 5A. I had shaking and he did not.
Has AA changed out the J seats on 787-800 to get rid of the connected zodiac seats?
since mileage is same, looking for most comfort.

current options for me -
to FCO from ORD direct on 787 open seats 2L, 7A, 7L
to FCO via JFK on 777v4 windows avial
from FCO to ORD via PHL 333 single seat windows
from FCO to ORD direct 787 5A, 6A and 6L,7A and 7L

thanks...
The seats have not been changed but 7A and 7L aren't connected seats. I'm booked in these seats this winter on the HNL>ORD nonstop in both directions. Also, 6A and 6L aren't connected either for your return.
Old May 12, 2018, 6:40 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, Owner of 2,000 TWA shares
I prefer 7a or 7L. Windows, unconnected, and a storage bin right behind the seat.
Old Jun 17, 2018, 9:53 am

Traveling in J from China as a single passenger. What would folks recommend? All that is left is 1A, 2H, 2L, 4A, 5H, and all of rows 6 and 7. I am thinking 1A as best of an ordinary low. Facing forward, no one to look at or be looked at from, and just my 2A seat mate to contend with. I sleep above average easily.
Old Jun 17, 2018, 10:15 am

If u are OK with flying backwards (and many people prefer it), 6A and 6L are highly regarded because of the extra personal space and the storage behind you. Plus u dont have to put the shoulder harness on.

Originally Posted by bmchris
Traveling in J from China as a single passenger. What would folks recommend? All that is left is 1A, 2H, 2L, 4A, 5H, and all of rows 6 and 7. I am thinking 1A as best of an ordinary low. Facing forward, no one to look at or be looked at from, and just my 2A seat mate to contend with. I sleep above average easily.
Old Jun 17, 2018, 10:20 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
If galley noise and light, along with chatty FAs are your thing and you dont mind connected seats then 1A will get the job done.

Personally, I think row 6 or 7 along the windows is a better option. 7 is not as private as 6 but 7 faces forward if that is important to you.
Old Jun 17, 2018, 11:39 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, DL SM/MM, AA Gold, HH Dia, PC Plat, ALL Gold, MR Gold
I just flew in 7L and thought it was a good seat. I thought of taking 6L but it's just too close to the lav and galley, which is where FAs hang out and talk, often for much of the flight. If you're a light sleeper like me, go with 7A or 7L. I can't stand feeling my seat move so avoid most of the forward cabin (connected seats).
Old Jun 17, 2018, 6:28 pm

My concern is that row 7 is too close to economy? And do you have MCE pax going forward to use the toilets too much? Albeit against policy?
Old Jun 17, 2018, 6:41 pm

My concern is that row 7 is too close to economy? And do you have MCE pax going forward to use the toilets too much? Albeit against policy?

I believe there is no more policy. People are free to use whatever lavs they want on planes.WIth that said, I sat in row 7 windows on 3 TPACS earlier this year and noticed no traffic issues from coach, other than FAs. The galley posed no noise issues at all.

Last edited by Uncle Nonny; Jun 22, 2018 at 7:04 am Reason: sp.
Old Jun 22, 2018, 6:52 am

Programs: Double OWE (AA EXP, QF Plat), FI Gold
Originally Posted by Uncle Nonny
I believe there is no more policy. People are free to use whatever laws they want on planes.
For domestic there is free pax movement between cabins, as well as on ex-USA international flights (I believe). On flights TO the USA they make announcements and enforce using the lav in your assigned cabin.
Old Jun 22, 2018, 7:47 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, DL SM/MM, AA Gold, HH Dia, PC Plat, ALL Gold, MR Gold
That was my concern as well, but there wasn't any extra noise and only a few people went from coach to use the J lavs. The FAs never said anything to them, so if it is a rule, it wasn't enforced on my flight.
Old Jul 22, 2018, 11:49 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Platinum, BAEC Silver, airbaltic VIP, HH Diamond, Radisson VIP, IHG Diamond Elite
Looks like AAs 787-8 will be reconfigured to 20J only:

Old Jul 23, 2018, 12:26 pm

Programs: AA CK, Hyatt Globalist
So the 787s will go from 28 to 20 seats in J. Besides the decrease (or elimination of) award space and upgrades, will this change come with increased prices for a J seat?
Old Jul 23, 2018, 7:12 pm

Wouldn't it likely be driven by supply/demand per route? The fact that they are reducing seats points to the fact that J pricing is likely too high. So they may lower the price between J and PE to get more sales. They make more that way than letting the seat go to an upgrade, non-rev, or empty. Time will tell...
Old Aug 4, 2018, 6:34 am

Programs: BA
AA 788 - Best business seats

Currently booked in the rear facing 6A for my flight from LHR to ORD, as I though the rear facing would be quieter and offer a better view out the window.
-Are the rear facing seats better than the front facing?
-IS the rear 6 seat cabin better than the bigger main cabin?
Old Aug 4, 2018, 7:32 am

Originally Posted by biertje
Currently booked in the rear facing 6A for my flight from LHR to ORD, as I though the rear facing would be quieter and offer a better view out the window.
-Are the rear facing seats better than the front facing?
-IS the rear 6 seat cabin better than the bigger main cabin?
Not sure which seats you'll get and I've only front faced. As for the 8 seat cabin, it may be a little more quiet but 6A is up against a lav (the bigger one, where you can comfortably change clothes) and closer to the galley where snacks are put out. . You'll also be looking out onto the wing, seeing less of the topography than if you were in 7. I've sat in 7 several times and found there was no noise from the main cabin. I'd suggest a row 2 or 4 window if you can land one and are hell bent on rear facing.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.