Community
Wiki Posts
Search

paid upgrade int'l US operated?

Search this Thread

Old May 4, 2015, 8:25 am
Original Poster

paid upgrade int'l US operated?

Although the website seems to say the opposite, an AA rep told me on the phone I cannot upgrade with miles and fee ($300!) on a US Air operated flight.

I want to go CLT to LHR in business class, from there to Milan in coach, and back, for two people in Sept. I only have 186k miles, so I wanted to buy a coach ticket and use 100k miles and cash to upgrade.

Could the rep be wrong? I think the upgrades page is pretty clear that you can do it on USair and other partners, but I'm new at this.

thanks for any advice.
Old May 4, 2015, 8:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT
Call back. However, be aware of the following

#1) the copay for European upgrades is 350/pp one way so you are looking at 100,000 miles +1400.00 USD for two round trip upgrades
#2) upgrades are subject to availability. The chances that there are two business class seats available for both your flights is slim to none so be prepared to be placed on a waitlist - and that waitlist will be processed according to status w/the airline. Since you mention you are "pretty new at this" I'm assuming you don't have status so you will be low on the waitlist
Old May 4, 2015, 9:16 am
Original Poster

thanks!

#1 is OK and I'm aware of
#2 is a major bummer. How far out should I have tried this? I've already postponed this trip from Sept of 2014 because they said I had to wait until the mileage programs merged.

nope, no status, just what I thought was a lot of points, but now realize was not so many :-(

God help me, I don't want to pay $11k for 2 tickets.
Old May 4, 2015, 9:54 am

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by dannabrown
#1 is

God help me, I don't want to pay $11k for 2 tickets.
Have you looked at availability of ticket awards instead of upgrades? If you haven't booked the Y tickets yet, consider that $1400 will get you almost 50,000 miles. With your current balance, that's enough for two savers in J. Those are confirmed instantly as long as inventory is available. If you do have the tickets and they're non refundable, you may be stuck.

Just a thought.
Old May 4, 2015, 11:49 am
Original Poster

thank you! I did not realize one could buy 50k miles for $1,400. Shockingly, the best I can find on award tickets is 235k miles each. That just might do it!! Then I could pay real $$ for the other ticket.

There don't appear to actually be an saver awards available for my route and timing. I think I could do better if I went to rome, but I had my heart set on Como and thus Milan.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.