5,000 Missing AA Loyalty Points

Old Feb 10, 2024, 2:02 pm
Original Poster

5,000 Missing AA Loyalty Points

I have a AA Citi Miles Up card that I rarely use. In May of 2023, I got an offer: Use the card for purchases of any amount for three straight billing periods, and you will be rewarded with 5,000 Loyalty points. I made the purchases, and I waited.

In the fall of 2023, I made calls to Citi and AA customer service (which now seems to be offshore in South America). AA can see the promotion, but after filing two cases, they refuse to help. Citi has verified the purchases, but claims it is a problem with AA, and not them.

My husband is a lifetime platinum AA member, so I had him write two complaints via the website. One person said that they'd work on it, and the last complaint, a few days ago, was ignored.

I have all the evidence--I still have a copy of the promotion, and AA acknowledged that I signed up. I also have the relevant billing statements. Does anyone know a liaison, or someone at AA with some clout to get my 5,000 points?

Thank you.
Old Feb 10, 2024, 2:32 pm

I assume you are sure the card is associated with your aa ff number, in essence citi has to tell aa that you get the miles so the first trick is figuring out where it went wrong, did citi notify aa, aa just posts what citi tells them too this is a citi promo, anyhow your first point of contact needs to be citi, they can push it back thru to aa and question aa,
Old Feb 10, 2024, 4:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
This promo?

AA Promotion for 5,000 Bonus Miles (Citi CC Spend) not showing correct Progress

(note the thread covers multiple versions - some got bonus RDMs, some were offered bonus LP. I received the latter, and they did post. Also used a MileUp card)
Old Feb 10, 2024, 5:42 pm
Original Poster

tennessetom - Yes, the account number on the back of my card matches. I tried AA and Citi, but I can only get people in foreign countries. I submitted a case to Citi, but they said it's an AA problem. The offshore people at AA submitted one case that got ignored, and they refuse to submit another.

notquiteaff - Yes, I got a different version of the same offer--for 5,000 miles.

Usually, I"m really good at getting stuff like this done. I have been trying for months. Is there any way to get a US person at a high level at AA?

I actually got the same offer last year, and it took opening two cases with AA to get the points. However, at that time, AA had US people answering the phone.
Old Feb 10, 2024, 6:24 pm

Some thing is very wrong here.

1. Surprised that a spend X on X card and get X on a (especially on a specific card ) is an AA offer I have only seen these types offers ring offered by the card issuer.

2. When you opened a case with AADV customer service (which is in Mexico not South America) you should have been given or you can get the case number.

3. If you have submitted the issue 2x (or more) they are probably either backed up (because if people like you submitting multiple requests) or are just putting it under the original case.

4. when I had an issue with Adv. customer service, I asked to speak to a supervisor and she offered to send the case to escalations. Solved within day.

3. look at your offer to determine who is making the offer (AA or Citi) and infer who would be checking on successful achievement my gut feel is that either way, Citi would have to say yes/no and post the miles

Originally Posted by pho9187
I have a AA Citi Miles Up card that I rarely use. In May of 2023, I got an offer: Use the card for purchases of any amount for three straight billing periods, and you will be rewarded with 5,000 Loyalty points. I made the purchases, and I waited.

In the fall of 2023, I made calls to Citi and AA customer service (which now seems to be offshore in South America). AA can see the promotion, but after filing two cases, they refuse to help. Citi has verified the purchases, but claims it is a problem with AA, and not them.

My husband is a lifetime platinum AA member, so I had him write two complaints via the website. One person said that they'd work on it, and the last complaint, a few days ago, was ignored.

I have all the evidence--I still have a copy of the promotion, and AA acknowledged that I signed up. I also have the relevant billing statements. Does anyone know a liaison, or someone at AA with some clout to get my 5,000 points?

Thank you.
Old Feb 10, 2024, 7:35 pm
Original Poster

Thanks 777lover. The promotion was sent by AA. When I called AA, I asked for a supervisor. He was also in Mexico. He raised his voice and said, we already tried this, and I'm not submitting it again.

I have never, ever been in a situation like this where I know I am right, and have gotten nowhere. I am known in my family as the one who gets it done. Is there a surefire way to get a AA rep in the US? You would think that they would listen to my husband, the Lifetime Platinum, or at least have a special phone number like they used to.

I even called the reservation line, which typically has US reps. I asked one to transfer me to customer service, and there I was again, in Mexico.

Appreciate any further suggestions.
Old Feb 11, 2024, 9:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by 777lover
Some thing is very wrong here.

1. Surprised that a spend X on X card and get X on a (especially on a specific card ) is an AA offer I have only seen these types offers ring offered by the card issuer.
It (the promo) appeared in my AAdvantage account under Promotions and had a progress tracker, and I received emails from AA about it. So it doesnt surprise me that Citi cant help with it.

I would try to escalate to an AA supervisor, and if that doesnt help, try one of the contacts on

https://www.elliott.org/company-cont...rican-airlines

Make sure to summarize your request as concisely as possible. Four sentences or short paragraphs should be enough:

1. I received this promo from AA on this date and signed up. (attach evidence/screenshots)
2. I fulfilled all the requirements by having spend in each of the three months (attach evidence)
3. I did not receive the promised bonus.
4. Please correct the mistake and post the bonus.
Old Feb 11, 2024, 10:32 am
Original Poster

Excellent suggestion, notquiteaff. I saw the names on Elliot, but I was not sure it would work. I'll give it a try. I have exhausted all possibilities by phone. As I stated in an earlier post, an AA supervisor in Mexico yelled at me, and told me not to call again. Shame on AA for sending the customer service call center to Mexico, and not even having a US elite line (so my husband could call).

Thanks again.
Old Feb 11, 2024, 12:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Excellent suggestion, notquiteaff. I saw the names on Elliot, but I was not sure it would work. I'll give it a try. I have exhausted all possibilities by phone. As I stated in an earlier post, an AA supervisor in Mexico yelled at me, and told me not to call again. Shame on AA for sending the customer service call center to Mexico, and not even having a US elite line (so my husband could call).
One more suggestion: if you write in to one of the executive contacts, focus on the primary issue at hand - getting your miles/LPs. You can mention that you tried the regular customer service route, but were unsuccessful, but I would avoid blending in complaints about AAs customer service agents and supervisors and the outsourcing/off-shoring concerns.

Then, when you have received the miles, you could lodge a separate complaint about the supervisor: write down the date/time of the call and they should be able to pull the tapes and call logs to verify your claims.
funnyfarm299 and LovePrunes like this.
Old Feb 11, 2024, 12:41 pm
Original Poster

notquiteaff - That's a good point, be concise. I didn't keep any logs, but I will next time.

Thanks again for your suggestion. The good part about sending off an email like that is that they can't ignore it.
Old Feb 14, 2024, 6:35 pm
Original Poster

Epilogue:

My husband, the Lifetime Platinum, wrote a letter to some of the executives. He got back an apologetic response, and he and I will both be receiving 2500 points. The letter stated that Citi is to blame, because it's their promotion. I contend that they are both at fault, since it's a joint promotion. In any case, I guess that evened the score. Thank you for all your advice.
ZenFlyer likes this.
Old Feb 14, 2024, 8:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Epilogue:

My husband, the Lifetime Platinum, wrote a letter to some of the executives. He got back an apologetic response, and he and I will both be receiving 2500 points. The letter stated that Citi is to blame, because it's their promotion. I contend that they are both at fault, since it's a joint promotion. In any case, I guess that evened the score. Thank you for all your advice.
I don't know what discussions happened between AA and Citi about this promo, but since it wasn't Citi card specific (Aviator cards also worked), and since it appeared in my AAdvantage account under Promotions, I am fairly certain that this wasn't solely Citi's promotion. If I had to guess, they didn't really dive into the details of the complaints and figured 5000 miles are a small price to pay to make you go away. And probably what you were owed anyway
Old Feb 15, 2024, 5:30 am
Original Poster

Yes, I agree, notquiteaff. As the expression goes, "The buck stops here." The email was clearly sent from AA. Also, this happened to me last year, and seems to be happening to other people, so why aren't they investigating? Yes, I guess we are even now. But this sort of incompetence is typical of the world we live in. Let's hope they service their planes better than they "service" their promotions.

Thanks again for you suggestion.
Old Feb 15, 2024, 10:40 am
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Diamond, IC Amb
I don't believe I ever got my 5k points either, even after escalating.

Finishing this year with 325k LPs so I didn't even follow up with that promotion after I sent in evidence of me receiving the offer.
Old Feb 15, 2024, 5:21 pm
Original Poster

That really stinks, 355F1. Think of all the people that didn't get their loyalty points. Thanks for posting.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.