Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Guide: LAX / Los Angeles TBIT / Bradley Int値. oneworld Lounges

Old Apr 30, 2015, 10:42 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: J.Edward
Los Angeles International Airport - Tom Bradley International Terminal oneworld Lounges

Location: Go airside via the North security check. Continue past the SkyTeam marked elevator / lift past the Star Alliance lounge signage and escalators to the main shops area and take the elevator to the oneworld Lounge on floor 5. (LAX / LAWA now allows passengers with same day departing boarding passes multi-terminal access.)

See AA T-4 - LAX TBIT secure airside connector open 25 Feb 2016 for airside access via the secure airside connector.

Qantas International First Lounge
Open daily: 06:30 - 23:30 [currently closed] QF F Lounge has REOPENED as of SEP 2022.

Amenities:
Computer connected to Internet
Neil Perry dining and buffet (hot, cold, food carts)
Full staffed bar and made to order mixed drinks
Barista and coffee selections
Shower suites (7)

Access rules:
Traveling on a oneworld marketed and operated first departing in, or connecting from, first class on a oneworld international flight of over 5 hours,
or
traveling in first class on a three-class domestic flight
or
a oneworld Emerald cardholder. Exception being AA Executive Platinum and Platinum Pro are not eligible for access when traveling solely on flights within or between the U.S., Canada, Mexico (except Mexico City), Bermuda, the Bahamas, and the Caribbean.

oneworld Los Angeles Lounge
Open daily: 14:00 - 20:45

Amenities:
Computer connected to Internet
Neil Perry dining and buffet (hot, cold, food carts)
Full staffed bar and made to order mixed drinks
Barista and coffee selections
Shower suites (9)

Access rules:
Traveling on a oneworld marketed and operated business or first departing in, or connecting from, business or first class on a oneworld international flight of over 5 hours,
or
traveling in business or first class on a three-class domestic flight
or
a oneworld Sapphire or Emerald cardholder. Exception being AA Executive Platinum, Platinum Pro, and Platinum members are not eligible for access when traveling solely on flights within or between the U.S., Canada, Mexico (except Mexico City), Bermuda, the Bahamas, and the Caribbean.
Print Wikipost

Guide: LAX / Los Angeles TBIT / Bradley Int値. oneworld Lounges

Old Aug 21, 2012, 1:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by bhakti

Does anyone think an angry letter to AA would get us anywhere? I know our story is less sympathetic because we luckily did not have to pay more for a replacement ticket, but I would still like to express my frustration with their lack of communication, and it was really terrifying today to think that our whole trip might have to be canceled when we planned on leaving in less than two weeks!
An "angry" letter sounds like a bad thing, and you would likely get a better feeling by playing Angry Birds. You can send a complaint using the web site.
I suspect that the call 24 hours might have caused the AA agent to see there were no problems with the booking, because it wasn't showing anything unusual.
I don't quite understand how you spent hours on the phone with AA.

But, back to the earlier questions. Were you booking a codeshare? Were any AA flights involved? Otherwise, I don't see the point in going through AA.com. It's not like AA.com has the best booking site in the world.
Old Aug 21, 2012, 3:16 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT; HH Diamond; AS 75K
Originally Posted by Often1
This isn't blame the victim, it's simply sound advice:

1. Avoid code shares unless there is a very significant reason to do so.
Well, this is the AA forum and I would guess most people like to maximize RDM/EQMs and code shares are a big part of international travel. Where's the evidence that avoiding code shares will remedy any problem on a multi-airline, single PNR ticket?

Bad advice IMO.
Old Aug 21, 2012, 3:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond

OP didn't mention a code share.
If this was a code share, isn't the fare up to AA?
OP indicated Cathay wouldn't ticket at that fare, so it doesn't sound like a code share
Old Aug 21, 2012, 3:34 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by tkelvin69
Well, this is the AA forum and I would guess most people like to maximize RDM/EQMs and code shares are a big part of international travel. Where's the evidence that avoiding code shares will remedy any problem on a multi-airline, single PNR ticket?

Bad advice IMO.
If you do some browsing, you will find many reports where customers have had problems when on a code share and there has been issues with the flight; even simple things like checking in online / getting seat assignments can be impacted on some airlines

Unless there is a good reason to book a code share, then I would always recommend booking on the operating carrier; sometimes the mileage earning can be impacted and then may be worth booking a code share, but generally I would say it was good advice

In the OP's case, it looks like no codeshare was involved from what he reported

Booking a flight on one airline from another airline's website can def lead to issues. I was trying to help someone deal with a situation where they had booked a Qantas flight UK-SYD via AA and where , if they had booked with QF, QF would have just rebooked on another flight regardless of booking class availability, since booked with AA was referred back to AA who could not assist beyond the automatic rebooking that QF had done
Old Aug 21, 2012, 5:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Mark_T
I did say 'a good travel agent'
Yes, and corporate travel agency usually never fall into that bucket (they're driven by cost-cutting, not value/productivity maximization).
Old Aug 21, 2012, 5:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sullim4
Out of curiosity, why does AA have the system set up in this way?

AA's website always, without fail, takes at least a few minutes after booking to issue a ticket number, whether it be on AA metal, an AA codeshare, or on a partner sAAver award (HA, AS, etc). In the meantime the status displays "Purchased", "On Request", etc.

I have never had this problem with AS or DL (or on codeshares with any of them)... I always get a ticket number issued immediately after purchase. Why can't AA do this?
The sure can, but it's the same reason as to why their emails don't contain the fare calculation line (unlike, that I know of, UA, VX, B6, etc): they don't cAAre. Oh, and a good travel agent [see above posts for definition] will issue the ticket instantly, so it's most definitely an AA, not Sabre, choice.
Old Aug 21, 2012, 5:12 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Matre-plongeur des Muccis
It's not blaming the victim to recommend all that, either - it merely accepts the realities of how airlines work with each other (not very well, only too often,) with different policies, booking engines, etc. etc. Sometimes even booking two airlines because that's what is necessary on one itinerary manages to foul things up for the passenger (e.g. AA connecting to IB+IB, return IB+IB connecting to AA).

I agree with everything you said here. And I am sorry for the victim here, the OP - but that doesn't change the realities.

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
If you do some browsing, you will find many reports where customers have had problems when on a code share and there has been issues with the flight; even simple things like checking in online / getting seat assignments can be impacted on some airlines

Unless there is a good reason to book a code share, then I would always recommend booking on the operating carrier; sometimes the mileage earning can be impacted and then may be worth booking a code share, but generally I would say it was good advice

In the OP's case, it looks like no codeshare was involved from what he reported

Booking a flight on one airline from another airline's website can def lead to issues. I was trying to help someone deal with a situation where they had booked a Qantas flight UK-SYD via AA and where , if they had booked with QF, QF would have just rebooked on another flight regardless of booking class availability, since booked with AA was referred back to AA who could not assist beyond the automatic rebooking that QF had done
Old Aug 21, 2012, 8:25 pm

Programs: Free checked in bag on UA & DL. Free icecream at Marriott checkin.
An update: there was a minor schedule change on my BA leg (2 mins), that threw the reservation into limbo. I called the AA desk and they were not sure what was wrong and called ticketing for help. The ticket was issued before the end of the call.
Old Aug 21, 2012, 9:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

2. When the operating carrier is somebody else, do not rest until you have an e-ticket # on the other carrier. If you don't get one via email, call the operating carrier.

3. No matter what AA said or did not say, OP (and anybody else booking in this fashion) should rely on anything the ticketing carrier says. In the end, it's the operating carrier which determine whether you board the flight, so they are the folks with whom you must speak.
Well, as for your third point, just about the only thing the operating carrier can do is verify the reservation/ticket. Other than that they generally won't/can't do anything until day of departure. Which of course brings us back to your first point...
Old Aug 21, 2012, 9:39 pm

Programs: AA Plat, HH Diamond, SPG Gold
OP's fury is very understandable, especially if he/she is one of the many travelers who aren't familiar with the distinction between "ticketed" and any other reservations status (why the airlines can't or won't make an explicit statement about this is really beyond comprehension).

HOWEVER, the following disclaimer does appear directly below the "fare rule" link on the trip details page of every booking made at AA.com, even if all flights are AA-operated (emphasis added):

Flights not on American Airlines, American Eagle, or AmericanConnectionョ are on a request basis only. Fares and availability are subject to change.
As to why to book partner flights through AA... we've found that AA.com pretty consistently beats Cathay's own fares on CX flight numbers (not just codeshares) about half the time. We got into the habit of ALWAYS checking both sites a long time ago.
Old Aug 21, 2012, 11:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by oneworld82
On request means nothing.
Just to underline it, this statement is absolutely correct from a legal standpoint. You have no contract until money has exchanged, i.e. you have a ticket.

Of course in a literal sense you have a bit more than nothing, i.e. you have inventory allocated to you, a fare stored, seat assignments, etc. But should a ticket not get issued and your reservation cancelled then your recourse is extremely limited, probably only based on deception (vs. when a ticket is issued you have contract law and specific DOT protections to draw upon).
Old Aug 22, 2012, 2:38 am

Still no change to mine And no help from the people on the phone either!
Old Aug 22, 2012, 2:40 am

Can you any of you guys in this thread offer any advice to my situation:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...st-status.html

Please!
Old Aug 22, 2012, 2:45 am
Suspended

You've already been helped a lot there. Cross posting is against the TOS.
Old Aug 22, 2012, 3:33 am

Programs: AA EXP
Stay calm.

The ticketing queue will always prioritize flights that are due to depart soon.

With a December date they are not going to ticket it as quickly as if it was departing this week.

Do stay in touch with AA, given the email you had yesterday let it run to at least a full day from that and then contact them again.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.