Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Guide: LAX / Los Angeles TBIT / Bradley Int値. oneworld Lounges

Old Apr 30, 2015, 10:42 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: J.Edward
Los Angeles International Airport - Tom Bradley International Terminal oneworld Lounges

Location: Go airside via the North security check. Continue past the SkyTeam marked elevator / lift past the Star Alliance lounge signage and escalators to the main shops area and take the elevator to the oneworld Lounge on floor 5. (LAX / LAWA now allows passengers with same day departing boarding passes multi-terminal access.)

See AA T-4 - LAX TBIT secure airside connector open 25 Feb 2016 for airside access via the secure airside connector.

Qantas International First Lounge
Open daily: 06:30 - 23:30 [currently closed] QF F Lounge has REOPENED as of SEP 2022.

Amenities:
Computer connected to Internet
Neil Perry dining and buffet (hot, cold, food carts)
Full staffed bar and made to order mixed drinks
Barista and coffee selections
Shower suites (7)

Access rules:
Traveling on a oneworld marketed and operated first departing in, or connecting from, first class on a oneworld international flight of over 5 hours,
or
traveling in first class on a three-class domestic flight
or
a oneworld Emerald cardholder. Exception being AA Executive Platinum and Platinum Pro are not eligible for access when traveling solely on flights within or between the U.S., Canada, Mexico (except Mexico City), Bermuda, the Bahamas, and the Caribbean.

oneworld Los Angeles Lounge
Open daily: 14:00 - 20:45

Amenities:
Computer connected to Internet
Neil Perry dining and buffet (hot, cold, food carts)
Full staffed bar and made to order mixed drinks
Barista and coffee selections
Shower suites (9)

Access rules:
Traveling on a oneworld marketed and operated business or first departing in, or connecting from, business or first class on a oneworld international flight of over 5 hours,
or
traveling in business or first class on a three-class domestic flight
or
a oneworld Sapphire or Emerald cardholder. Exception being AA Executive Platinum, Platinum Pro, and Platinum members are not eligible for access when traveling solely on flights within or between the U.S., Canada, Mexico (except Mexico City), Bermuda, the Bahamas, and the Caribbean.
Print Wikipost

Guide: LAX / Los Angeles TBIT / Bradley Int値. oneworld Lounges

Old Aug 21, 2012, 7:43 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by wolf539
I didn't read it as "blame the victim". Seemed more like good advice...!
I agree that this is all good advice....going forward. All of the negative experiences like this that people report give an indication of the things that can go wrong (regardless of fault) and provide suggestions for how to deal with them. No matter who is at fault, knowing what to do is a good thing.

That doesn't absolve AA of some responsibility here for being as clear as mud in their communication (which is far from unusual, unfortunately). Talking about the things that one can do in the future to minimize disruptions doesn't mean that AA are off the hook for this.

It seems that they (AA) didn't do anything egregious in this case, except for the total lack of any indication of what was going on, especially if this was not going to ticket. One shouldn't need FT knowledge to figure this stuff out. AA owes at least that.

I'd write with this tack in mind. I've written about poor communications (asking for nothing) several times before. (Not sure if it helped, but there were good responses in most cases.)

Cheers.
Old Aug 21, 2012, 7:56 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
This isn't blame the victim, it's simply sound advice:

1. Avoid code shares unless there is a very significant reason to do so.

2. When the operating carrier is somebody else, do not rest until you have an e-ticket # on the other carrier. If you don't get one via email, call the operating carrier.

3. No matter what AA said or did not say, OP (and anybody else booking in this fashion) should rely on anything the ticketing carrier says. In the end, it's the operating carrier which determine whether you board the flight, so they are the folks with whom you must speak.
Old Aug 21, 2012, 8:10 am

Programs: AA PLT, UA Silver, EK Gold, Hilton Diamond, Global Entry, Clear
Originally Posted by jordyn
...but AA's got to bear some responsibility for not only silently failing to book the ticket, but then telling them that everything was okay when, in reality, it was not at all.
Agreed...

brp
One shouldn't need FT knowledge to figure this stuff out. AA owes at least that.
I learned a long time ago to stay on top of my reservations, especially when it comes to the whole purchased, ticketed, on hold, on request, etc. mess that is the AA way of things. I sometimes forget that others may not be operating with the same level of experience and past history...
Old Aug 21, 2012, 8:23 am
abk

Programs: AA LT Plat/8.1mm now with 1350 miles left in my account and proud of it.. SPG LT Titanium.
As to award tickets on CX, I am not sure how else you would ticket them other than through AA and you still have the same on request, purchased and ticketed issues.

As to why buy on AA, I use a Hong Kong travel agent for my inter Asia flying and often times AA is cheaper for a full fare tickets on CX or Dragon so why not book it through them.
Old Aug 21, 2012, 8:39 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, Hilton HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by bhakti
I bought two tickets on AA.com for a Cathy Pacific flight JFK-BKK, but apparently Cathay decided that it didn't want to sell any seat on my return flight for the price AA had charged -- so they simply didn't book my return. They never called me to tell me about this, so I didn't find out until I called THEM four days later. Most annoyingly, I had called 24 hours after booking the ticket and they told me everything was fine, despite the fact that the my reservation still said "on request." Obviously, everything was not fine.

The AA customer service people were absolutely no help unless I was willing to pay more (I wasn't), so I canceled and booked with another airline (Korean). Most of the flights I wanted had gotten significantly more expensive during the four-day period after my AA purchase, but luckily the Korean flights had not. So I'm not out any money (I actually SAVED $300 for the pair of tickets), but I'm incredibly annoyed at the hours spent on the phone with AA, and the fact that we can't fly Cathay like I wanted to. I was pretty excited to see the Hong Kong airport, too, where we had a long layover.

Does anyone think an angry letter to AA would get us anywhere? I know our story is less sympathetic because we luckily did not have to pay more for a replacement ticket, but I would still like to express my frustration with their lack of communication, and it was really terrifying today to think that our whole trip might have to be canceled when we planned on leaving in less than two weeks!
On request means nothing. You should have waited to make sure your status said "ticketed".
Old Aug 21, 2012, 9:10 am

Just to add a bit of info. I had also emailed AA about this situation and I've had a reply to say that "the booking is confirmed but is still in the ticketing process. I have forwarded your email to the eTicket Document Service in London. If you haven't had confirmation in 24 hours, please call AA for further assistance."

So, is this a good sign, or am I being humoured?
Old Aug 21, 2012, 9:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM, AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond
Does anyone think an angry letter to AA would get us anywhere?
I don't think so. Main fault here was with CX. AA's problem was an AAgent reassuring you when they should not have done so. And you did come out ahead in the end. If I sent a letter, it would not be an angry one trying to get something for myself, but a letter to inform AA of what happened, so that they could alert their AAgents not to reassure customers who are in the situation you were in.
Old Aug 21, 2012, 10:06 am

Programs: AS; Hyatt Globalist; Hilton Gold; NEXUS
Out of curiosity, why does AA have the system set up in this way?

AA's website always, without fail, takes at least a few minutes after booking to issue a ticket number, whether it be on AA metal, an AA codeshare, or on a partner sAAver award (HA, AS, etc). In the meantime the status displays "Purchased", "On Request", etc.

I have never had this problem with AS or DL (or on codeshares with any of them)... I always get a ticket number issued immediately after purchase. Why can't AA do this?
Old Aug 21, 2012, 11:06 am

Programs: Free checked in bag on UA & DL. Free icecream at Marriott checkin.
I have a reservation waiting for 24 hrs now and couple of calls have all said nothing to worry it will get ticketed. The fare has climbed up by $500 so I hope it goes through.
Old Aug 21, 2012, 11:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
Originally Posted by oneworld82
On request means nothing. You should have waited to make sure your status said "ticketed".
Nice, that hasn't been mentioned at least twice in this thread already?

Seriously, not everyone in the world is a FTer. My guess is that 99% of travelers would not know the difference between "purchased" and "on request" and "ticketed." The OP is now one of the 1%.

AFAIC, the OP did what they should have and got hosed.

Mike
Old Aug 21, 2012, 11:49 am

^let me know if anything changes
Old Aug 21, 2012, 1:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM, AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond
I bought my tickets on AA.com for a Cathy Pacific flight....
I bought two tickets on AA.com for a Cathy Pacific flight JFK-BKK....
Perhaps this happened to OP because he keeps calling Cathy by her first name.
Old Aug 21, 2012, 1:20 pm

Programs: AA PLT 2.7 MM, DL GLD, UA Prem, BW Diamond, PC PLT, HH Diamond
I bought two tickets on AA.com for a Cathy Pacific flight JFK-BKK, but apparently Cathay decided that it didn't want to sell any seat on my return flight for the price AA had charged -- so they simply didn't book my return. They never called me to tell me about this, so I didn't find out until I called THEM four days later. Most annoyingly, I had called 24 hours after booking the ticket and they told me everything was fine, despite the fact that the my reservation still said "on request." Obviously, everything was not fine.

The AA customer service people were absolutely no help unless I was willing to pay more (I wasn't), so I canceled and booked with another airline (Korean). Most of the flights I wanted had gotten significantly more expensive during the four-day period after my AA purchase, but luckily the Korean flights had not. So I'm not out any money (I actually SAVED $300 for the pair of tickets), but I'm incredibly annoyed at the hours spent on the phone with AA, and the fact that we can't fly Cathay like I wanted to. I was pretty excited to see the Hong Kong airport, too, where we had a long layover.

Does anyone think an angry letter to AA would get us anywhere? I know our story is less sympathetic because we luckily did not have to pay more for a replacement ticket, but I would still like to express my frustration with their lack of communication, and it was really terrifying today to think that our whole trip might have to be canceled when we planned on leaving in less than two weeks!

Unfortunately the "ON Request" is one of those subtle things that people only learn about the hard way.

However, they never gave you any mis-information they put in a request to CX to purchase and it was denied. It was this way with all partners at one time. The request gets sent to the partner for approval. Once approved by the partner it goes to purchased. And of course once ticketed it get marked as ticketed.

AA can't ticket something that CX will not sell them for the agreed on price.

Frustrating in the extreem ,yes , but they did accurately report the status to you.
Old Aug 21, 2012, 1:36 pm

Is it worth contacting Hawaiian Airlines about this, or is it purely down to AA? If HA is a partner airline in which I can use my miles, then surely there's no reason why HA would reject the booking right? Sorry, just trying to look into what's going on with these award bookings. Never had one before
Old Aug 21, 2012, 1:54 pm
Suspended

It does no good to contact HA at this point. AA has to ticket the itinerary.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.