Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Guide: LAX / Los Angeles TBIT / Bradley Int値. oneworld Lounges

Old Apr 30, 2015, 10:42 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: J.Edward
Los Angeles International Airport - Tom Bradley International Terminal oneworld Lounges

Location: Go airside via the North security check. Continue past the SkyTeam marked elevator / lift past the Star Alliance lounge signage and escalators to the main shops area and take the elevator to the oneworld Lounge on floor 5. (LAX / LAWA now allows passengers with same day departing boarding passes multi-terminal access.)

See AA T-4 - LAX TBIT secure airside connector open 25 Feb 2016 for airside access via the secure airside connector.

Qantas International First Lounge
Open daily: 06:30 - 23:30 [currently closed] QF F Lounge has REOPENED as of SEP 2022.

Amenities:
Computer connected to Internet
Neil Perry dining and buffet (hot, cold, food carts)
Full staffed bar and made to order mixed drinks
Barista and coffee selections
Shower suites (7)

Access rules:
Traveling on a oneworld marketed and operated first departing in, or connecting from, first class on a oneworld international flight of over 5 hours,
or
traveling in first class on a three-class domestic flight
or
a oneworld Emerald cardholder. Exception being AA Executive Platinum and Platinum Pro are not eligible for access when traveling solely on flights within or between the U.S., Canada, Mexico (except Mexico City), Bermuda, the Bahamas, and the Caribbean.

oneworld Los Angeles Lounge
Open daily: 14:00 - 20:45

Amenities:
Computer connected to Internet
Neil Perry dining and buffet (hot, cold, food carts)
Full staffed bar and made to order mixed drinks
Barista and coffee selections
Shower suites (9)

Access rules:
Traveling on a oneworld marketed and operated business or first departing in, or connecting from, business or first class on a oneworld international flight of over 5 hours,
or
traveling in business or first class on a three-class domestic flight
or
a oneworld Sapphire or Emerald cardholder. Exception being AA Executive Platinum, Platinum Pro, and Platinum members are not eligible for access when traveling solely on flights within or between the U.S., Canada, Mexico (except Mexico City), Bermuda, the Bahamas, and the Caribbean.
Print Wikipost

Guide: LAX / Los Angeles TBIT / Bradley Int値. oneworld Lounges

Old Dec 3, 2015, 1:06 pm
Formerly known as jlars77

IIRC, as long as you were in F on a OW carrier on the incoming flight you shouldn't have an issue.

Originally Posted by calvinoeh
Anyone have success getting into the lounge as a AA EXP arriving international and departing on AA domestic?
Old Dec 3, 2015, 3:33 pm

Originally Posted by 2Tall4Y
IIRC, as long as you were in F on a OW carrier on the incoming flight you shouldn't have an issue.
While true, calvinoeh would be getting in on status (since they didn't mention anything about class of service). Also, that statement about "F on a OW carrier" should include the condition about it needing to be long-haul (forget at the moment how OW defines that, but info should be on the OW website).
Old Dec 3, 2015, 4:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Originally Posted by cmn.jcs
...Also, that statement about "F on a OW carrier" should include the condition about it needing to be long-haul (forget at the moment how OW defines that, but info should be on the OW website).
... more than five hours ...
Old Dec 3, 2015, 8:58 pm

Well yes, there are more details which can easily be found via "The Google"....or the hyperlink to the QF lounge rules could just be added to the wiki. I was aware my single sentence did not cover all scenarios.
Old Dec 3, 2015, 9:28 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Matre-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by 2Tall4Y
Well yes, there are more details which can easily be found via "The Google"....or the hyperlink to the QF lounge rules could just be added to the wiki. I was aware my single sentence did not cover all scenarios.
You could add that link, given you have over 90 days and 90 posts on FT.
Old Dec 4, 2015, 6:17 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
OK, so... I assume these blokes are now reading the rules quite strictly, so I'm wondering whether access would be granted to the business lounge to an AA platinum flying in economy LAX-DFW-LHR, all on the same itinerary, all on the same day. I'm guessing that's a no based on a strict reading of oneworld lounge access rules, but figured I'd ask to see what recent experiences were since agents stopped making up their own rules.
Old Dec 4, 2015, 6:51 am

JDiver dropping knowledge once again, thank you. I had no idea I had these powers!

Originally Posted by JDiver
You could add that link, given you have over 90 days and 90 posts on FT.
Old Dec 4, 2015, 4:40 pm

Programs: AA EXP/Exec Citi, NZ* G, Nat EE, Avis PP, HH Gold
Originally Posted by Microwave
OK, so... I assume these blokes are now reading the rules quite strictly, so I'm wondering whether access would be granted to the business lounge to an AA platinum flying in economy LAX-DFW-LHR, all on the same itinerary, all on the same day. I'm guessing that's a no based on a strict reading of oneworld lounge access rules, but figured I'd ask to see what recent experiences were since agents stopped making up their own rules.
Is that because the LAX-DFW flight is considered a long-haul? I thought the long-haul definition was 5 or more hours.

Or perhaps that's just the AC-access rules, and the OW Lounge rules require you to depart from that airport, not just have a same-day int'l flight.
Old Dec 4, 2015, 6:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The agents were not making up their own rules - they were misinformed by management.

An AAdvantage PLAT should get access for same day LAX-xDFW-LHR based on them NOT "travelling solely on North American flights within or between the U.S., Canada, Mexico (except Mexico City), the Bahamas, Bermuda and the Caribbean.".

Of course, I believe that's what should happen ... YMMV on this ...

Last edited by serfty; Dec 4, 2015 at 7:13 pm
Old Dec 5, 2015, 11:25 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
Originally Posted by serfty
The agents were not making up their own rules - they were misinformed by management.

An AAdvantage PLAT should get access for same day LAX-xDFW-LHR based on them NOT "travelling solely on North American flights within or between the U.S., Canada, Mexico (except Mexico City), the Bahamas, Bermuda and the Caribbean.".

Of course, I believe that's what should happen ... YMMV on this ...
The reason I thought "no" was that there's a clear carve out for class of service based access in the oneworld access rules when connecting from short haul to long haul which is missing from the status-based access rules. Have you (or anyone for that matter) had luck getting in with such an itinerary? Obviously AC access wouldn't be a problem, just thinking for this lounge that they may be looking st the letter of the rules quite specifically...
Old Dec 5, 2015, 3:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It can be taken two ways - but this is an AA based exclusion noted on the *O web site.

Lounge access is available for AA EXP and PLAT before AA domestic flights that are connecting to same day international *O flights.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...itinerary.html

i.e they are on non "Domestic" itineraries (i.e. At LAX an EXP has access to the Flagship Lounge/AC & PLAT access to AC on LAX-xDFW-LHR in economy). I suspect it's more of a slight miswording allowing for a possible misinterpretation of the intent.

Here's what AA indicates: (http://www.aa.com/i18n/travelInforma...jsp#exceptions)
Originally Posted by exceptions
  • Lounge access is not available if you’re traveling on American Airlines solely within the United States or between the United States and the Caribbean, Canada, or Mexico (except Mexico City) unless you’re a oneworld Emerald or Sapphire customer. However, AAdvantage Executive Platinum and Platinum members regardless of Emerald or Sapphire status, are not eligible ...
... that too, is poorly worded.

Last edited by serfty; Dec 5, 2015 at 3:20 pm
Old Dec 8, 2015, 5:41 pm

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
Originally Posted by ESFLYER95
May be a dumb question, but how do you leave TBIT? Can you just walk out through baggage claim like a domestic? No need for customs etc?
Correct: TBIT is set up to handle both domestic and international traffic, so it's quite easy to leave like any domestic arriving passenger would.
As an aside, if you're arriving on a domestic or pre-cleared int'l flight, you deplane into the gate area, and at least as of September, TBIT did not have any signs (as far as I could see) directing anyone to either baggage claim or ground transportation from the gate area. I arrived on an EY pre-cleared flight, and EY had a small army of staff positioned throughput the terminal to direct people to baggage claim and outside.
Old Jan 8, 2016, 6:00 pm

Programs: AA Explat, UA former 1K + PremExec, DL
Correct: TBIT is set up to handle both domestic and international traffic, so it's quite easy to leave like any domestic arriving passenger would.
Are any US international terminals set up so that you can't just up and leave the terminal on a whim? We don't have exit control like most other countries.

Incidentally, is there PreCheck available at TBIT? I left on an early flight last month (~8:30) and security was a mess- 45-50 min with only two lines working, no premium line open. Is it always this bad?
Old Jan 8, 2016, 8:45 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold but PlatPro thanks to LPs
Originally Posted by fanger
Are any US international terminals set up so that you can't just up and leave the terminal on a whim? We don't have exit control like most other countries.
LAX is my home airport, and I am getting confused reading the past two pages of this thread.

Let me state what I believe to be the case:

If you arrive in TBIT from an international flight, and you were not pre-cleared by CBP at the origin, then you will be segregated from the rest of the terminal and directed to the CBP area for immigration and customs clearance. You will exit to the "landside" part of the airport, and will need to re-clear TSA security to enter "airside", where the lounges are located. You will need a departing flight boarding pass to re-clear TSA security, or a special pass issued by the lounge for reasons of a business meeting in the lounge.

If you arrive from a pre-cleared international flight or from any domestic flight, then you go into the main terminal where the lounges are located, mixing with departing passengers. If eligible, you can visit a lounge there or just leave the secured area and go landside, collect any checked baggage and leave the airport. If your connecting flight is in T4, then you need to walk over to T4 (very short walk), go through T4 TSA security and visit the Admirals Club in T4.

Incidentally, is there PreCheck available at TBIT? I left on an early flight last month (~8:30) and security was a mess- 45-50 min with only two lines working, no premium line open. Is it always this bad?
No Pre-Check in TBIT. Last month I was on a domestic flight (LAX-MCO) that departed from TBIT. I had to stand in the long line with everyone else, but thanks to my Pre-Check status, I was allowed to keep my shoes on and go through the metal detector. I asked a TSA employee about no Pre-Check in TBIT. She told me most flights from TBIT are foreign carriers that do not participate in the Pre-Check program. My domestic AA flight was an exception.
Old Jan 9, 2016, 10:15 am

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by QueenOfCoach
No Pre-Check in TBIT. Last month I was on a domestic flight (LAX-MCO) that departed from TBIT. I had to stand in the long line with everyone else, but thanks to my Pre-Check status, I was allowed to keep my shoes on and go through the metal detector. I asked a TSA employee about no Pre-Check in TBIT. She told me most flights from TBIT are foreign carriers that do not participate in the Pre-Check program. My domestic AA flight was an exception.
There seem to be more AA domestics from TBIT than before but I assume that they are waiting for the airside connector to open rather than implementing Pre-Check at TBIT.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.