Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Guide: LAX / Los Angeles TBIT / Bradley Int’l. oneworld Lounges

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 30, 2015, 10:42 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: J.Edward
Los Angeles International Airport - Tom Bradley International Terminal oneworld Lounges

Location: Go airside via the North security check. Continue past the SkyTeam marked elevator / lift past the Star Alliance lounge signage and escalators to the main shops area and take the elevator to the oneworld Lounge on floor 5. (LAX / LAWA now allows passengers with same day departing boarding passes multi-terminal access.)

See AA T-4 - LAX TBIT secure airside connector open 25 Feb 2016 for airside access via the secure airside connector.

Qantas International First Lounge
Open daily: 06:30 - 23:30 [currently closed] QF F Lounge has REOPENED as of SEP 2022.

Amenities:
Computer connected to Internet
Neil Perry dining and buffet (hot, cold, food carts)
Full staffed bar and made to order mixed drinks
Barista and coffee selections
Shower suites (7)

Access rules:
Traveling on a oneworld marketed and operated first departing in, or connecting from, first class on a oneworld international flight of over 5 hours,
or
traveling in first class on a three-class domestic flight
or
a oneworld Emerald cardholder. Exception being AA Executive Platinum and Platinum Pro are not eligible for access when traveling solely on flights within or between the U.S., Canada, Mexico (except Mexico City), Bermuda, the Bahamas, and the Caribbean.

oneworld Los Angeles Lounge
Open daily: 14:00 - 20:45

Amenities:
Computer connected to Internet
Neil Perry dining and buffet (hot, cold, food carts)
Full staffed bar and made to order mixed drinks
Barista and coffee selections
Shower suites (9)

Access rules:
Traveling on a oneworld marketed and operated business or first departing in, or connecting from, business or first class on a oneworld international flight of over 5 hours,
or
traveling in business or first class on a three-class domestic flight
or
a oneworld Sapphire or Emerald cardholder. Exception being AA Executive Platinum, Platinum Pro, and Platinum members are not eligible for access when traveling solely on flights within or between the U.S., Canada, Mexico (except Mexico City), Bermuda, the Bahamas, and the Caribbean.
Print Wikipost

Guide: LAX / Los Angeles TBIT / Bradley Int’l. oneworld Lounges

Search this Thread

Old Oct 29, 2015, 8:30 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT - 2.9MM, Lifetime AC, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Hertz Precs Crcl
Originally Posted by Guy Betsy
Then use the Flagship Lounge.

QF's rules are quite clear. If you are on a domestic flight irrespective of international connections, you cannot use the lounge. If you were departing LAX-PVG on AA, then yes you can use the lounge.

QF's lounge. QF's rules.
Not so fast.... QF is part of OW - and their FL is just that - a FL - and governed by the OW agreement. (It is NOT like BA's CCR - that is a product distinct from their Galleries FL offering.) The OW offering excludes AA EXPs SOLEY on NA trips just like the QF excludes their PLATs from domestic - but I've never seen language indicating same-day connections are excluded if the next flight is not INTL - only if the next flight in not OW operated and marketed. Perhaps you have a new link to share?
Old Oct 29, 2015, 8:47 pm

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by Madison Guy
Not so fast.... QF is part of OW - and their FL is just that - a FL - and governed by the OW agreement. (It is NOT like BA's CCR - that is a product distinct from their Galleries FL offering.) The OW offering excludes AA EXPs SOLEY on NA trips just like the QF excludes their PLATs from domestic - but I've never seen language indicating same-day connections are excluded if the next flight is not INTL - only if the next flight in not OW operated and marketed. Perhaps you have a new link to share?
There seems to be some suggestion that the Oneworld lounge, although operated by QF, should obey the OW rules whereas the F lounge is a QF lounge and may be subject to different rules.
Old Oct 29, 2015, 9:06 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis

QF's rules are quite clear. If you are on a domestic flight irrespective of international connections, you cannot use the lounge. If you were departing LAX-PVG on AA, then yes you can use the lounge.

QF's lounge. QF's rules.
No, not this, I think.

Under oneworld rules, arriving internationally and departing domestically if on one world and the same day (or, iirc, departure is before 6:00 AM), or departing internationally, would work - just as a non-AA Emerald or Sapphire should be admitted even if flying domestically.

And the oneworld Business Lounge isn't even a QF lounge - it's operated for oneworld by Qantas, AFAIK, and it's not even a Qantas lounge. The First lounge is, but it must abide by oneworld rules, no?

Exclusions would be Admirals Club sensu stricto, or AA Emerald or Sapphire on a purely domestic itinerary.

Assuming Qantas is in oneworld.
Old Oct 29, 2015, 10:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
This is incorrect - see post #10 #346 for QF's rules.

Last edited by serfty; Dec 3, 2015 at 2:02 pm Reason: new post # after merge
Old Oct 29, 2015, 10:26 pm

Programs: AA Million Miler, AA Lifetime Gold
I thought that there was a regular OW lounge at TBIT and two other lounges by Qantas with one being for F.

A few months ago I was denied entry into the two Qantas lounges since I (EXP) was flying to MIA.

The regular OW lounge was not open at that time.
Old Oct 29, 2015, 10:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: SBUX Gold
QF's lounge. QF's rules.
Except it's not. It's QF's lounge... OW's rules.

QF is plainly wrong in not letting non-AA SPHs/EMDs in, or AA PLTs/EXPs in on an international itinerary.

The question is... how does the message get to QF, QF's station manager, and QF's lounge manager?
Old Oct 29, 2015, 10:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by IceTrojan
The question is... how does the message get to QF, QF's station manager, and QF's lounge manager?
There's a parallel thread on Australian Frequent Flyer.

TBIT 'Qantas' Business Lounge - extremely confused, as are staff

Indication there is the email was referring to Advantage elites on North American "Domestic" itineraries. However, there is no mention of this in the content - even the subject: "Lounge Access" is general.

Front line staff don't read between the lines - if not written down then it does not exist.
Old Oct 29, 2015, 10:55 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Silver
I think the point I was making that was picked up on was the fact according to oneworld rules, my itinerary LAX-ORD-PVG does not fall under the AA domestic carveout because it is not a "solely" North American itinerary.

At first the lounge dragon claimed the langugage was ambiguous. Given I used to write corporate finance policies in a prior career iteration, the language on oneworld is about as clear as it can get in corporatespeak. All OW Emeralds to be admitted except AA elites on solely North American itineraries at lounges operated by a oneworld carrier.

Critical rule:

Emerald tier frequent flyers can use First Class, Business Class or frequent flyer lounges.

Only exception that may apply at LAX for AA elite flyers at the QF F lounge:

American Airlines AAdvantage® members and US Airways Dividend Miles members, regardless of their tier status or class of travel, are not eligible for lounge access when travelling solely on North American flights within or between the U.S., Canada, Mexico (except Mexico City), the Bahamas, Bermuda and the Caribbean.

Under no logical interpretation is a LAX-ORD-PVG be considered "SOLELY" North American flights.

At this point their manager claimed they're going to try to change the language on oneworld.com, and they weren't subject to OneWorld rules anyway.

Last edited by TxH2O; Oct 29, 2015 at 11:26 pm
Old Oct 29, 2015, 10:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Brahmin
I thought that there was a regular OW lounge at TBIT and two other lounges by Qantas with one being for F.

A few months ago I was denied entry into the two Qantas lounges since I (EXP) was flying to MIA.

The regular OW lounge was not open at that time.
There are only two lounges - the "oneworld Business lounge (operated by Qantas)" and the "Qantas First Lounge".

As an EXP flying to MIA, you were correctly denied access.
Old Oct 29, 2015, 11:04 pm

Programs: AA EXP...couple hotels and cars too

QF's lounge. QF's rules.
Yeah, well <QF VP ops> has it wrong and Benjamin has made a mistake paraphrasing the rules (his 'in a nutshell' list)

A OW international first pax or emerald should have access. Irrespective of that intl being arriving or departing.

You are confusing QF standard policy - were it is your onward connection that defines access- with the policies for this lounge

Indeed, the memo from Benjamin says 'if you arrive from australia you have access' ... this isnt what you are saying.

This email fails to accurate reflect the QF and OW policy. and that needs to be fixed.

Last edited by Exec_Plat; Oct 30, 2015 at 1:00 pm
Old Oct 29, 2015, 11:15 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

anyone trying to write a policy who cannot correctly use "i.e." and "e.g." shouldn't be writing a policy

As far as it relates to the original poster in thread, the agent was correct in the refusal
Old Oct 30, 2015, 12:51 am

Programs: QF Gold LTG (ow Saph), HHon Silver, Marriot Gold
Originally Posted by TxH2O
Under no logical interpretation is a LAX-ORD-PVG be considered "SOLELY" North American flights.
Only because you are looking at your entire itinerary, whereas Qantas rules are much clearer being next onward flight.
The "connecting from" in the email I believe is a specific Qantas policy that it uses for COS passengers in First/Business
- eg. http://www.qantas.com.au/travel/airl...club/global/en

If for example you were booked LAX-ORD-DFW with the LAX-ORD segment in Y, ORD-DFW in F, where would you get access.

Your LAX-ORD segment is SOLELY North American, thus IMHO correctly denied.

--

In any event I do agree further clarification from Qantas / oneworld is needed.
Old Oct 30, 2015, 5:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by moa999
Only because you are looking at your entire itinerary, whereas Qantas rules are much clearer being next onward flight.
The "connecting from" in the email I believe is a specific Qantas policy that it uses for COS passengers in First/Business
- eg. http://www.qantas.com.au/travel/airl...club/global/en

If for example you were booked LAX-ORD-DFW with the LAX-ORD segment in Y, ORD-DFW in F, where would you get access.

Your LAX-ORD segment is SOLELY North American, thus IMHO correctly denied.

--

In any event I do agree further clarification from Qantas / oneworld is needed.
The only part in your post I agree with is your last sentence.

TxH2O is an AAdvantage EXP - as such Qantas' rules do not apply, only oneworld rules.

As such " on an international itinerary " they were entitled to access as per here:

www.oneworld.com/ffp/lounge-access

One more thing - look to post #346 for Qantas' rules - the link you posted is not relevant for TBIT.

Last edited by serfty; Dec 3, 2015 at 2:04 pm
Old Oct 30, 2015, 10:39 am

Programs: AAdvantage Executive Platinum, HHonors Diamond, National Executive
If your flight is tomorrow, I would call again.
Old Oct 30, 2015, 12:23 pm

Programs: AA EP
did anyone email email Benjamin and get a response?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.