Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Guide: LAX / Los Angeles TBIT / Bradley Int’l. oneworld Lounges

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 30, 2015, 10:42 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: J.Edward
Los Angeles International Airport - Tom Bradley International Terminal oneworld Lounges

Location: Go airside via the North security check. Continue past the SkyTeam marked elevator / lift past the Star Alliance lounge signage and escalators to the main shops area and take the elevator to the oneworld Lounge on floor 5. (LAX / LAWA now allows passengers with same day departing boarding passes multi-terminal access.)

See AA T-4 - LAX TBIT secure airside connector open 25 Feb 2016 for airside access via the secure airside connector.

Qantas International First Lounge
Open daily: 06:30 - 23:30 [currently closed] QF F Lounge has REOPENED as of SEP 2022.

Amenities:
Computer connected to Internet
Neil Perry dining and buffet (hot, cold, food carts)
Full staffed bar and made to order mixed drinks
Barista and coffee selections
Shower suites (7)

Access rules:
Traveling on a oneworld marketed and operated first departing in, or connecting from, first class on a oneworld international flight of over 5 hours,
or
traveling in first class on a three-class domestic flight
or
a oneworld Emerald cardholder. Exception being AA Executive Platinum and Platinum Pro are not eligible for access when traveling solely on flights within or between the U.S., Canada, Mexico (except Mexico City), Bermuda, the Bahamas, and the Caribbean.

oneworld Los Angeles Lounge
Open daily: 14:00 - 20:45

Amenities:
Computer connected to Internet
Neil Perry dining and buffet (hot, cold, food carts)
Full staffed bar and made to order mixed drinks
Barista and coffee selections
Shower suites (9)

Access rules:
Traveling on a oneworld marketed and operated business or first departing in, or connecting from, business or first class on a oneworld international flight of over 5 hours,
or
traveling in business or first class on a three-class domestic flight
or
a oneworld Sapphire or Emerald cardholder. Exception being AA Executive Platinum, Platinum Pro, and Platinum members are not eligible for access when traveling solely on flights within or between the U.S., Canada, Mexico (except Mexico City), Bermuda, the Bahamas, and the Caribbean.
Print Wikipost

Guide: LAX / Los Angeles TBIT / Bradley Int’l. oneworld Lounges

Search this Thread

Old Aug 23, 2015, 5:21 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by AAerSTL
Upcoming MIA-LAX-MIA itinerary, return flight is on the 777. Seems at least a couple MIA flights each day are departing from TBIT. Is it possible to access the oneworld joint BA/CX/JL/QF lounge at TBIT? I'd be eligible based on class of service and also holding an AC membership. Seem to recall some rigorous pax made the trek to TBIT for T4 departures and the OW lounge dragons initially were admitting AA pax but it seems they have gotten the memo that status based access on domestic flights isn't permitted.

Anyone have experience here?

Thanks.
The oneworld Business lounge is operated by Qantas; it is not a Qantas Club, so you'd not be eligible as an Admirals Club member. How would you be eligible under oneworld lounge access rules?

You'd be Admirals Club eligible as a member, of course, and if in F on the three class 777, the Flagship Lounge; sorry, I don't think you'll have access to the oneworld Business Lounge or the Qantas First lounge in TBIT.

Please let us know how it goes if you give it a go.
Old Aug 23, 2015, 6:06 pm
formerly gemini573

Programs: CX Emerald, WOH Globalist, Marriott Platinum, AA Lifetime Platinum, Virtuoso, Prive, STEPS, STARS
Upcoming MIA-LAX-MIA itinerary, return flight is on the 777. Seems at least a couple MIA flights each day are departing from TBIT. Is it possible to access the oneworld joint BA/CX/JL/QF lounge at TBIT? I'd be eligible based on class of service and also holding an AC membership. Seem to recall some rigorous pax made the trek to TBIT for T4 departures and the OW lounge dragons initially were admitting AA pax but it seems they have gotten the memo that status based access on domestic flights isn't permitted.

Anyone have experience here?

Thanks.
Holding AC membership won't help in this case. You will not be granted access. As mentioned above, this is BA/CX/QF lounge operated by QF.
Old Aug 24, 2015, 11:15 am

Programs: AA PLT Pro 2MM, DL Gold, UA Silver, Marriott Ambassador + LT Plat, COFC Venture X, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by gemini573
Holding AC membership won't help in this case. You will not be granted access. As mentioned above, this is BA/CX/QF lounge operated by QF.

As an EP/OWE and also having a confirmed revenue J-seat should be access granted.
Old Aug 24, 2015, 12:21 pm
Original Poster

As an EP/OWE and also having a confirmed revenue J-seat should be access granted.
Even if it's LAX-MIA? I thought that was covered by an AA access rule for Admirals Club use (F in FL) rather than a oneworld access rule.
Old Aug 24, 2015, 12:23 pm

Programs: AA PLT Pro 2MM, DL Gold, UA Silver, Marriott Ambassador + LT Plat, COFC Venture X, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by JDiver
Even if it's LAX-MIA? I thought that was an AA offer for Admirals Club use (F in FL) rather than a oneworld access rule.
AA EP, no but class of service yes access is granted MIA-LAX just like JFK-LAX/SFO:

Travel on transcontinental flights

As a First or Business Class customer, you also have access if you’re traveling on non-stop, transcontinental flights marketed and operated by American Airlines between:

New York (JFK) - Los Angeles (LAX)
New York (JFK) - San Francisco (SFO)
Los Angeles (LAX) - Miami (MIA)
Been in place for awhile now, nearly three years. AA made the decision to grant access to EVERYONE in these markets instead of fullfare F and awards booked in "Z" in other transon markets (ie JFK-SAN/SEA, BOS-LAX/SAN/SFO, etc)

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...er-thread.html

http://www.aa.com/i18n/utility/trans-con-access.jsp

Last edited by AAerSTL; Aug 24, 2015 at 12:41 pm
Old Aug 24, 2015, 12:45 pm

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
AA EP, no but class of service yes access is granted MIA-LAX just like JFK-LAX/SFO:

Been in place for awhile now, nearly three years. AA made the decision to grant access to EVERYONE in these markets instead of fullfare F and awards booked in "Z" in other transon markets (ie JFK-SAN/SEA, BOS-LAX/SAN/SFO, etc)

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...er-thread.html

http://www.aa.com/i18n/utility/trans-con-access.jsp
The relevant link is oneworld, not AA, since what you linked to is an AA-specific policy referring to Admiral's Clubs, not oneworld lounges. But indeed, the oneworld policy includes the LAX-MIA/JFK and JFK-SFO exceptions to the exception for travel on AA.
First and Business Class customers who do not hold Emerald or Sapphire tier status are not eligible to access American Airlines or US Airways lounges when travelling on solely domestic flights within the U.S. or between the U.S. and Canada, Mexico [except Mexico City], the Bahamas, Bermuda and the Caribbean; customers travelling in First or Business class on U.S. transcontinental flights between JFK-LAX, JFK-SFO and MIA-LAX (and vice-versa) are eligible for lounge access.
Old Oct 29, 2015, 12:05 pm

oneworld Lounge at LAX (access denied for domestic AA - to merge)

I had a domestic flight out of LAX on AA about a week ago. I am a Citi AAdvantage Executive Platinum card holder, but was not allowed in the OneWorld Business lounge. I was told that this was because my flight was domestic and not international. The clerk provided me with a copy of this email as proof of their policy:

Subject: Lounge Access
Date: September 17, 2015 at 12:06 PM
To: QantasFirst <redacted>

Hello Everyone,

I understand that there is some increasing confusion around lounge access, particularly in the mornings with American Airlines and other domestic flights. The AA website and access policy is a little contradictory, but this is a Qantas Lounge. I had a phone call with <redacted> this morning to clarify.

In a nut shell

• Any one on an AA or other OW Domestic flight, originating their journey in LAX regardless of status or cabin to be flown, does NOT have access to the Qantas First or Business Lounges.

• If an eligible guests has come in on an international flight (i.e. from Australia) and has a connecting flight on a oneworld carrier they are eligible to use one of the lounges.

• If we witness or know of a passenger soliciting to eligible guests attempting to gain lounge access we are to deny access to that person. Same goes for people saying that their colleague will be coming shortly can they come in, they must wait till the eligible member arrives.

• If someone bullies or forces their way into the lounge we have Jeff's full support to call the Airport Police to have this person(s) removed from the lounges and contact the Qantas Duty Manager to inform them of our actions.

It is important that we protect the integrity of the lounges and to not dilute the experience of those that are genuinely eligible. By allowing all and sundry in we compromise the service and product that we offer and cannot recover costs form other airlines when we allow extras in who do not have access.

When I return from Sydney in a couple of weeks we will hold some team briefings and training sessions so that we are ready when the connector tunnel opens between T4 and TBIT.
Shouldn't I have had access to this lounge?

Last edited by JY1024; Oct 30, 2015 at 2:47 am Reason: Redacted names and e-mail addresses to comply with FT Rules
Old Oct 29, 2015, 1:15 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sisamouth
I had a domestic flight out of LAX on AA about a week ago. I am a Citi AAdvantage Executive Platinum card holder, but was not allowed in the OneWorld Business lounge. I was told that this was because my flight was domestic and not international. The clerk provided me with a copy of this email as proof of their policy:

Shouldn't I have had access to this lounge?
Welcome to FlyerTalk.

Unfortunately, you, as an Admitals Club member departing on an AA domestic flight, should not have been granted access to this lounge - under oneworld or Admirals Club or Qantas rules.

(oneworld Emeralds or Sapphires other than AA would, however, have access if departing on a one world international or domestic flight.)

oneworld lounge access for frequent flyers by tier status Link

Enjoy exclusive access to premium airport lounges around the world with oneworld Emerald or Sapphire frequent flyer tier status. Members of oneworld airline frequent flyer programmes with the equivalent of oneworld Emerald or Sapphire tier status can use lounges offered by oneworld airlines when departing on any flight marketed and operated by any oneworld member airline, regardless of cabin class being flown (exceptions are noted below).
  • Emerald tier frequent flyers can use First Class, Business Class or frequent flyer lounges.
  • Sapphire tier frequent flyers are welcome in Business Class* or frequent flyer lounges. (*does not include Qantas Domestic Business Lounges)
  • Emerald and Sapphire members may invite one guest to join them in the lounge. The guest must also be travelling on a flight operated and marketed by a oneworld carrier.
  • You must be prepared to show your boarding pass and frequent flyer membership card, with oneworld Emerald or Sapphire tier status, to access a lounge.

The following exceptions apply:

American Airlines, US Airways and Qantas offer programmes enabling customers to pay to gain access to their lounges. These programmes are not part of the oneworld agreement, and members of these programmes are not entitled to access lounges under the oneworld agreement.
  • American Airlines AAdvantage® members and US Airways Dividend Miles members, regardless of their tier status or class of travel, are not eligible for lounge access when travelling solely on North American flights within or between the U.S., Canada, Mexico (except Mexico City), the Bahamas, Bermuda and the Caribbean*. For more information, visit, http://www.aa.com/i18n/travelInforma...miralsClub.jsp and http://www.usairways.com/en-US/trave...b/default.html
  • Qantas Frequent Flyer Gold members, regardless of their oneworld tier status, cannot access Qantas Domestic Business Lounges.
  • Qatar Airways Al Safwa and Al Mourjan lounges at Hamad International Airport in Doha and Qatar Airways Premium Lounge at London Heathrow Terminal 4 are excluded.

*Oceania is missing, but nonetheless qualifying

Last edited by JDiver; Oct 29, 2015 at 4:48 pm Reason: Add parenthetical for others
Old Oct 29, 2015, 1:25 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, Marriott Platinium
If you hace a City Advantage Exc CC, you can only access to AA Admiral Clubs, not OneWorld Lounges (LA, QF, JL, CX etc.
Old Oct 29, 2015, 2:41 pm

Unless I'm missing something, this is obviously incorrect with regard to non-AA Emeralds and Sapphires on domestic flights.
Old Oct 29, 2015, 3:03 pm

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by jamespvg
Unless I'm missing something, this is obviously incorrect with regard to non-AA Emeralds and Sapphires on domestic flights.
As you will see when this thread is merged, opinion on FT is that this policy is wrong. It has however been enforced against several of us.
Old Oct 29, 2015, 3:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
This is becoming an issue - see here on the *O forum:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/onewo...-complain.html

It seems there is a disconnect somewhere.
Old Oct 29, 2015, 3:08 pm

Programs: AA EXP...couple hotels and cars too
Well, on the basis of those published emails, I bet Benjamin gets a note asking if he could please clarify.
Old Oct 29, 2015, 3:21 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AA Million Miles, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Exec_Plat
Well, on the basis of those published emails, I bet Benjamin gets a note asking if he could please clarify.
That email refers to the lounge as a "Qantas lounge." Raising a interesting question: it's a OneWorld Lounge operated by Qantas, but does that make it a "Qantas lounge" as far as rules are concerned?

Also, isn't it against FT policy to publish/post employee names (as that email does)?
Old Oct 29, 2015, 3:49 pm

Programs: AA EXP...couple hotels and cars too
Originally Posted by bse118
That email refers to the lounge as a "Qantas lounge." Raising a interesting question: it's a OneWorld Lounge operated by Qantas, but does that make it a "Qantas lounge" as far as rules are concerned?

Also, isn't it against FT policy to publish/post employee names (as that email does)?
I think benjamin has it wrong. He asked a Qantas guy what the Qantas guy thinks the policy is....

They are handing out the emails.... but I expect FT to scrub that any minute. (Which is why I grabbed a copy...)

I was a CK flying AA LHR-LAX in F, connecting to domestic and had access... no qantas anything. perfectly fine according to the hallmark guys.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.