Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Guide: LAX / Los Angeles TBIT / Bradley Int値. oneworld Lounges

Old Apr 30, 15, 11:42 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: J.Edward
Los Angeles International Airport - Tom Bradley International Terminal oneworld Lounges

Location: Go airside via the North security check. Continue past the SkyTeam marked elevator / lift past the Star Alliance lounge signage and escalators to the main shops area and take the elevator to the oneworld Lounge on floor 5. (LAX / LAWA now allows passengers with same day departing boarding passes multi-terminal access.)

See AA T-4 - LAX TBIT secure airside connector open 25 Feb 2016 for airside access via the secure airside connector.

Qantas International First Lounge
Open daily: 06:30 - 23:30 [currently closed] QF F Lounge has REOPENED as of SEP 2022.

Amenities:
Computer connected to Internet
Neil Perry dining and buffet (hot, cold, food carts)
Full staffed bar and made to order mixed drinks
Barista and coffee selections
Shower suites (7)

Access rules:
Traveling on a oneworld marketed and operated first departing in, or connecting from, first class on a oneworld international flight of over 5 hours,
or
traveling in first class on a three-class domestic flight
or
a oneworld Emerald cardholder. Exception being AA Executive Platinum and Platinum Pro are not eligible for access when traveling solely on flights within or between the U.S., Canada, Mexico (except Mexico City), Bermuda, the Bahamas, and the Caribbean.

oneworld Los Angeles Lounge
Open daily: 14:00 - 20:45

Amenities:
Computer connected to Internet
Neil Perry dining and buffet (hot, cold, food carts)
Full staffed bar and made to order mixed drinks
Barista and coffee selections
Shower suites (9)

Access rules:
Traveling on a oneworld marketed and operated business or first departing in, or connecting from, business or first class on a oneworld international flight of over 5 hours,
or
traveling in business or first class on a three-class domestic flight
or
a oneworld Sapphire or Emerald cardholder. Exception being AA Executive Platinum, Platinum Pro, and Platinum members are not eligible for access when traveling solely on flights within or between the U.S., Canada, Mexico (except Mexico City), Bermuda, the Bahamas, and the Caribbean.
Print Wikipost

Guide: LAX / Los Angeles TBIT / Bradley Int値. oneworld Lounges

Old Aug 10, 22, 10:36 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Ambassador (RIP SPG), Aeroplan 75K
Originally Posted by jtav559 View Post
Long awaited return!

A question that doesn't seem to have been answered definitively up thread:

Do Flagship Transcon's on AA receive access to Qantas F or the OW J Lounge @ TBIT?

Asking, as I (AA EXP) have 2 transcon's coming up:
LAX-MIA in J on 77W
LAX-JFK in F on 321T

Do I have access via EXP status while on a AA Flagship Transcon?
Or is access strictly via class of service flow on a transcon (regardless of status)?
Or no access at all?

Just curious how it will shake out, and if it's worth the walk over there just to be turned away in the end.
Access via transcons was murky pre-COVID. I had success accessing the J lounge with a J ticket pre-COVID (and once post-COVID), but never the F lounge with an F ticket (granted was LAX-BOS so the F lounge didn稚 think it was a qualifying flight). There are no written rules as far as I know so it really comes down to what the computer says when the boarding pass is scanned.

You will not have access via status.
Old Aug 10, 22, 10:41 am

Originally Posted by ryanbriar View Post
Access via transcons was murky pre-COVID. I had success accessing the J lounge with a J ticket pre-COVID (and once post-COVID), but never the F lounge with an F ticket (granted was LAX-BOS so the F lounge didn稚 think it was a qualifying flight). There are no written rules as far as I know so it really comes down to what the computer says when the boarding pass is scanned.

You will not have access via status.
IME, I am AS OWE and flew Flagship J from LAX-MIA early this year, I could not get access to the OW J lounge. They asked if I had status on another airline, they specifically mentioned BA or QF status, of which I did, and then I was allowed. I am not sure if F on transcon would get access to QF F lounge.
Old Aug 10, 22, 1:28 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Ambassador (RIP SPG), Aeroplan 75K
Originally Posted by hsumh316 View Post
IME, I am AS OWE and flew Flagship J from LAX-MIA early this year, I could not get access to the OW J lounge. They asked if I had status on another airline, they specifically mentioned BA or QF status, of which I did, and then I was allowed. I am not sure if F on transcon would get access to QF F lounge.
Interesting, perhaps because it was to MIA? That was the problem I ran into when flying to BOS at the F lounge. Since it wasn稚 to JFK, they didn稚 believe me.

I致e accessed the J lounge with my RAM Gold status a handful of times this year (same with the FL).
Old Aug 10, 22, 5:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
They were incorrect, but it is not uncommon for them to be so.

First Lounge access before an AA 3 class transcon is a Class of service based access.

For more, see here:

Qantas First Class Lounge, LAX
Old Aug 10, 22, 9:06 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
There used to be written rules. It was the 77W lax-Mia that qualified, but this wa several years ago when there was a regular 77W every month, all year.

once they introduced 772s, it became on again/off again, and totally disappeared for a while. It was impossible to keep up with as a flyer, let alone managing a partner lounge.
ryanbriar likes this.
Old Aug 10, 22, 9:20 pm

Programs: AA EXP
I知 flying LAX-MIA-LIM on 8/26 as a OWE. AA痴 bizarre rules block me from the Flagship lounge in this case but I should be able to access the Qantas F lounge right?
Old Aug 10, 22, 9:55 pm

Programs: AA, UA, Marriott
Originally Posted by bradfrancini View Post
I知 flying LAX-MIA-LIM on 8/26 as a OWE. AA痴 bizarre rules block me from the Flagship lounge in this case but I should be able to access the Qantas F lounge right?
If you get upgraded on LAX-MIA and it's a widebody then you would get access to the flagship lounge based on that.

By the rules on oneworld.com yes it appears you have access to Qantas F. However, this is an interesting case and you might get hassle. Oneworld still seems to have the "old" rules on AA elite access, which was the same as the flagship lounge rules until AA changed access in 2021. I wonder if this is a case of the rules not being updated online but reflected in systems. That shouldn't be your fault of course.

In any case, you will have AC access.
Old Aug 10, 22, 10:44 pm

Thanks. I知 on an A321 to Miami unfortunately. I値l give it a try at the Qantas F lounge with the Oneworld website terms in my back pocket.
Old Aug 11, 22, 7:17 pm

Just spoke with a OW lounge dragon. She mentioned that during pre-pandemic AA and I assume AS would pay for access to the OW lounges for AA/AS elites on domestic flights. AA and I assume AS either don稚 want to pay or no longer have an agreement with the OW lounges so they are being directed to AA lounges. Though, she wasn稚 too sure. They did give me the email of the concierge supervisor if i had more questions or needed clarification.
Old Aug 11, 22, 8:40 pm

Just spoke with a OW lounge dragon. She mentioned that during pre-pandemic AA and I assume AS would pay for access to the OW lounges for AA/AS elites on domestic flights. AA and I assume AS either don稚 want to pay or no longer have an agreement with the OW lounges so they are being directed to AA lounges. Though, she wasn稚 too sure. They did give me the email of the concierge supervisor if i had more questions or needed clarification.
I don稚 believe this was ever the case for domestic-only itineraries - there was always a carve-out for AA elites for this. AS also wasn稚 in OW pre-COVID.
Old Aug 11, 22, 9:12 pm

Programs: QF WP, AA EXP
Just spoke with a OW lounge dragon. She mentioned that during pre-pandemic AA and I assume AS would pay for access to the OW lounges for AA/AS elites on domestic flights. AA and I assume AS either don’t want to pay or no longer have an agreement with the OW lounges so they are being directed to AA lounges. Though, she wasn’t too sure. They did give me the email of the concierge supervisor if i had more questions or needed clarification.
This doesn't sound right. First, AS was not in OW pre-pandemic. Second, many years ago these lounges have had a history of making their own rules up. Qantas leadership eventually got involved and straightened everything out. Since then I never had an issue accessing either lounge in conjunction with an AA domestic flight as a Qantas Platinum. As AA/AS Emerald you will not have access per oneWorld rules. They may have been confusing it with that.
Old Aug 11, 22, 9:36 pm

She only mentioned AA and i added the AS. My apologies. Yes non AA/AS elites will have access to the one world lounges. I think there were people trying to get into one world lounges on transcon flights.
Old Aug 12, 22, 6:00 am

She only mentioned AA and i added the AS. My apologies. Yes non AA/AS elites will have access to the one world lounges. I think there were people trying to get into one world lounges on transcon flights.
Just to clarify what was happening pre-COVID. Technically, those flying in J on 3-class premium transcons from LAX to JFK and MIA had access to the OW J lounge, and those in 3-class F had access, per written rules, to the QF F lounge. These were not status-based access rules, but purely class of service. AA elites, as is the same when it comes to AC or FL, cannot access these lounges on a purely domestic itinerary on account of status. The question is whether that class of service access for Flagship transcons is still in effect.

An AS or AA OWE flying, say, to London, should still have access to the QF F lounge based on OW status access rules.
beachfan, work2fly, bzcat and 1 others like this.
Old Aug 12, 22, 7:57 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, HH DIA, Hertz PC, GE + Pre✓, Amazon Super Special Prime
Originally Posted by DMPHL View Post
The question is whether that class of service access for Flagship transcons is still in effect.
Correct, I see that as the main point in need of clarification in this whole rigamarole. It was a mixed bag, at best, in the past / pre-COVID. Who knows where the chips are falling these days.

Hopefully someone with a Flagship transcon flight in the near future can take one for the team and find out in person!
ryanbriar likes this.
Old Aug 12, 22, 10:35 pm

Aug 15 LAX-JFK Business waiting for First upgrade. Will report back on OW J lounge and QF F (if upgraded).

Search this Thread