Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Guide: LAX / Los Angeles TBIT / Bradley Int値. oneworld Lounges

Old Apr 30, 2015, 10:42 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: J.Edward
Los Angeles International Airport - Tom Bradley International Terminal oneworld Lounges

Location: Go airside via the North security check. Continue past the SkyTeam marked elevator / lift past the Star Alliance lounge signage and escalators to the main shops area and take the elevator to the oneworld Lounge on floor 5. (LAX / LAWA now allows passengers with same day departing boarding passes multi-terminal access.)

See AA T-4 - LAX TBIT secure airside connector open 25 Feb 2016 for airside access via the secure airside connector.

Qantas International First Lounge
Open daily: 06:30 - 23:30 [currently closed] QF F Lounge has REOPENED as of SEP 2022.

Amenities:
Computer connected to Internet
Neil Perry dining and buffet (hot, cold, food carts)
Full staffed bar and made to order mixed drinks
Barista and coffee selections
Shower suites (7)

Access rules:
Traveling on a oneworld marketed and operated first departing in, or connecting from, first class on a oneworld international flight of over 5 hours,
or
traveling in first class on a three-class domestic flight
or
a oneworld Emerald cardholder. Exception being AA Executive Platinum and Platinum Pro are not eligible for access when traveling solely on flights within or between the U.S., Canada, Mexico (except Mexico City), Bermuda, the Bahamas, and the Caribbean.

oneworld Los Angeles Lounge
Open daily: 14:00 - 20:45

Amenities:
Computer connected to Internet
Neil Perry dining and buffet (hot, cold, food carts)
Full staffed bar and made to order mixed drinks
Barista and coffee selections
Shower suites (9)

Access rules:
Traveling on a oneworld marketed and operated business or first departing in, or connecting from, business or first class on a oneworld international flight of over 5 hours,
or
traveling in business or first class on a three-class domestic flight
or
a oneworld Sapphire or Emerald cardholder. Exception being AA Executive Platinum, Platinum Pro, and Platinum members are not eligible for access when traveling solely on flights within or between the U.S., Canada, Mexico (except Mexico City), Bermuda, the Bahamas, and the Caribbean.
Print Wikipost

Guide: LAX / Los Angeles TBIT / Bradley Int値. oneworld Lounges

Old May 8, 2019, 8:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, LH Senator *Gold, AA EXP OWE Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by TWA884
As of April 2018, there are TSA PreCheck security lanes at TBIT (LAX TBIT (Terminal B) TSA Pre✓ [Now Open]).
While indeed true, that has nothing to do with the recommendations which were specifically for someone that does not have PreCheck.
Old May 9, 2019, 3:37 pm

Programs: BAEC GOLD
Originally Posted by beachfan
No. But it痴 an easy walk to the Qantas Lounge airside from T4. T4 checkin is more sane anyway.
Thanks guys! Made it to the QF lounge !
Old Aug 22, 2019, 9:21 pm

Hi All,

I am flying through LAX on a domestic itinerary in Business class that includes a flight from LAX to MIA on board the 3 class 77W. Flight is currently scheduled to leave out of TBIT.

Will I have access to the OW/QF J lounge? I know I have Flagship access, just unsure about what is or isn't available to me in TBIT, reports in this thread seem to indicate that YMMV and its been a few months.

Thanks!
Old Aug 22, 2019, 10:22 pm

Programs: AA LT Gold
Originally Posted by sgan317
Hi All,

I am flying through LAX on a domestic itinerary in Business class that includes a flight from LAX to MIA on board the 3 class 77W. Flight is currently scheduled to leave out of TBIT.

Will I have access to the OW/QF J lounge? I know I have Flagship access, just unsure about what is or isn't available to me in TBIT, reports in this thread seem to indicate that YMMV and its been a few months.

Thanks!
The flagship lounge at T4 IS available to you as a customer flying business on 77w lax Mia. If before Oct 29. It is a short airside walk from the flagship lounge to TBIT.
I think you dont have access to the OW lounge.
unless you are emerald or saphire with a non-AA airline (BA, etc)
Old Aug 23, 2019, 11:49 am

Programs: AA Plat, DL, AS, UA, IHG Plat
I've used the QF business class lounge in TBIT when flying 3-class J on LAX-MIA - you have the same lounge access as LAX-JFK 3-class J - meaning QF J at TBIT or AA flagship at T4 based on class on service, no status required. But that was back when 77W was year round on the schedule. I'm really not sure what the policy is now that 77W is not year round.
Old Aug 23, 2019, 12:17 pm

Programs: AA LT Gold
Originally Posted by bzcat
I've used the QF business class lounge in TBIT when flying 3-class J on LAX-MIA - you have the same lounge access as LAX-JFK 3-class J - meaning QF J at TBIT or AA flagship at T4 based on class on service, no status required. But that was back when 77W was year round on the schedule. I'm really not sure what the policy is now that 77W is not year round.
Just based on the fine print, OW lounge access has to consider any OW agreements.
For OW lounge access purposes, LAX-MIA is no different than LAX-LAS?
The transcon (Benefit) exception to access lounges is nowhere in the OW fine print, just AA. Isn't it?
Seems to me a perk offered by AA to transcon J/F pax, not a OW rule.
I know there might be anecdotal experience but as far as what the published rules are, I don't see how transcon pax have access to OW lounges based on fare class.
Old Aug 23, 2019, 1:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by carlosdca
Just based on the fine print, OW lounge access has to consider any OW agreements.
For OW lounge access purposes, LAX-MIA is no different than LAX-LAS?
The transcon (Benefit) exception to access lounges is nowhere in the OW fine print, just AA. Isn't it?
Seems to me a perk offered by AA to transcon J/F pax, not a OW rule.
I know there might be anecdotal experience but as far as what the published rules are, I don't see how transcon pax have access to OW lounges based on fare class.
You're thinking about it the wrong way. The oneworld rules say any First or Business class flight (all destinations all oneworld carriers) comes with lounge access. AA then has it's own exception within those rules that say business class flights wholly within N. America do not get lounge access, except for MEX and the premium transcons of JFK-LAX/SFO and MIA-LAX.

Basically any oneworld F or J flight comes with lounge access by default unless it specifically called out as an exception, and MIA-LAX isn't included in the N. America exception, so good to go.
Old Aug 23, 2019, 1:25 pm

Originally Posted by JJeffrey
You're thinking about it the wrong way. The oneworld rules say any First or Business class flight (all destinations all oneworld carriers) comes with lounge access. AA then has it's own exception within those rules that say business class flights wholly within N. America do not get lounge access, except for MEX and the premium transcons of JFK-LAX/SFO and MIA-LAX.

Basically any oneworld F or J flight comes with lounge access by default unless it specifically called out as an exception, and MIA-LAX isn't included in the N. America exception, so good to go.
Data points support this. TBIT OW J lounge is my daughter's go-to when she's flying transcon J. Has never been rebuffed or challenged.
Old Aug 24, 2019, 12:08 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by JJeffrey

Confusion may arise though, because the oneworld lounge access page no longer refers to the transcons. ISTR that it once did, and the wiki has the quote and link there, but it has been removed from the oneworld website.
serfty likes this.
Old Aug 26, 2019, 1:24 pm

Programs: AA Plat, DL, AS, UA, IHG Plat
The AA lounge access rules are very clear... transcon is defined as:
1 LAX<-->JFK
2 SFO<-->JFK
3 LAX<-->BOS on A321T
4 LAX<-->MIA on 777-300ER

Note that 2 out of the 4 routes defined as transcon has equipment restrictions. https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/...lub-access.jsp

OneWorld lounge grants default access to any member airline F and J class PAX except where prohibited by member airline policy. In this case, AA policy has transcon exception. So one shouldn't have any problem visiting the OW J lounge at LAX if traveling on the seasonal LAX-MIA daily 777-300ER J ticket.

Last edited by bzcat; Aug 26, 2019 at 1:29 pm
Old Aug 26, 2019, 2:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Originally Posted by deeruck
Confusion may arise though, because the oneworld lounge access page no longer refers to the transcons. ISTR that it once did, and the wiki has the quote and link there, but it has been removed from the oneworld website.
It certainly did on the oneworld site and still exists on the Qantas website: (Although BOS is not mentioned, nor aircraft type.)

oneworld Alliance | Qantas AU
oneworld lounge access for First or Business Class customers

Indulge yourself before departure in a wider range of airport lounges when you fly First Class or Business Class with any oneworld member airline.
  • Customers flying First or Business Class have access to the equivalent class of lounge regardless of their frequent flyer status. First Class passengers may use a Business Class or frequent flyer lounge if a First Class lounge is not available.
  • First Class passengers may invite one guest to join them in the lounge. The guest must also be travelling on a flight operated and marketed by a oneworld airline.
The following exception applies:

1. First and Business Class customers who do not hold Emerald or Sapphire tier status are not eligible to access American Airlines lounges when travelling on solely domestic flights within the U.S.A or between the U.S.A and Canada, Mexico [except Mexico City], the Bahamas, Bermuda and the Caribbean) other than the exception listed below:

2. Customers travelling in First or Business class on U.S.A transcontinental flights between JFK-LAX, JFK-SFO and MIA-LAX (and vice-versa) are eligible for lounge access.
deeruck likes this.
Old Aug 26, 2019, 8:33 pm

what rule could the LAX QF J lounge agent cite to deny a no-status passenger flying AA LAX-LAS on a $175 "I" fare who makes his way from T4 to Bradley?

the above exceptions speak to AA lounges, not QF lounges
Old Aug 26, 2019, 10:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Originally Posted by Colin
the above exceptions speak to AA lounges, not QF lounges
In practice, the rules on that page are for all oneworld lounges.

So a Business Class passenger can access the equivalent class of lounge regardless of their frequent flyer status except when travelling on solely domestic flights within the U.S.A or between the U.S.A and Canada, Mexico [except Mexico City], the Bahamas, Bermuda and the Caribbean). The exception has an exception and does not apply when travelling in First or Business class on specific U.S.A transcontinental flights.
Old Aug 26, 2019, 10:37 pm

Originally Posted by serfty
In practice, the rules on that page are for all oneworld lounges.

So a Business Class passenger can access the equivalent class of lounge regardless of their frequent flyer status except when travelling on solely domestic flights within the U.S.A or between the U.S.A and Canada, Mexico [except Mexico City], the Bahamas, Bermuda and the Caribbean). The exception has an exception and does not apply when travelling in First or Business class on specific U.S.A transcontinental flights.
they should hire an English speaker then to draft a paragraph saying that
serfty likes this.
Old Sep 3, 2019, 6:43 am

Programs: UA MM Gold, AA Ex Plat, SPG Plat,Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Gold, National Executive Elite
Flying in a few weeks from LAX-JFK-LHR. All in Y waitlist for BC
My LAX-JFK flight is at 1230 am with a 13 hr layover in JFK. Technically my LAX-JFK departs the same day as the JFK-LHR flight (1040PM)
I should have access to the QF First lounge correct?

Iam Ex Plat / Emerald traveling with one companion

Thanks

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.