Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Guide: LAX / Los Angeles TBIT / Bradley Int’l. oneworld Lounges

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 30, 2015, 10:42 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: J.Edward
Los Angeles International Airport - Tom Bradley International Terminal oneworld Lounges

Location: Go airside via the North security check. Continue past the SkyTeam marked elevator / lift past the Star Alliance lounge signage and escalators to the main shops area and take the elevator to the oneworld Lounge on floor 5. (LAX / LAWA now allows passengers with same day departing boarding passes multi-terminal access.)

See AA T-4 - LAX TBIT secure airside connector open 25 Feb 2016 for airside access via the secure airside connector.

Qantas International First Lounge
Open daily: 06:30 - 23:30 [currently closed] QF F Lounge has REOPENED as of SEP 2022.

Amenities:
Computer connected to Internet
Neil Perry dining and buffet (hot, cold, food carts)
Full staffed bar and made to order mixed drinks
Barista and coffee selections
Shower suites (7)

Access rules:
Traveling on a oneworld marketed and operated first departing in, or connecting from, first class on a oneworld international flight of over 5 hours,
or
traveling in first class on a three-class domestic flight
or
a oneworld Emerald cardholder. Exception being AA Executive Platinum and Platinum Pro are not eligible for access when traveling solely on flights within or between the U.S., Canada, Mexico (except Mexico City), Bermuda, the Bahamas, and the Caribbean.

oneworld Los Angeles Lounge
Open daily: 14:00 - 20:45

Amenities:
Computer connected to Internet
Neil Perry dining and buffet (hot, cold, food carts)
Full staffed bar and made to order mixed drinks
Barista and coffee selections
Shower suites (9)

Access rules:
Traveling on a oneworld marketed and operated business or first departing in, or connecting from, business or first class on a oneworld international flight of over 5 hours,
or
traveling in business or first class on a three-class domestic flight
or
a oneworld Sapphire or Emerald cardholder. Exception being AA Executive Platinum, Platinum Pro, and Platinum members are not eligible for access when traveling solely on flights within or between the U.S., Canada, Mexico (except Mexico City), Bermuda, the Bahamas, and the Caribbean.
Print Wikipost

Guide: LAX / Los Angeles TBIT / Bradley Int’l. oneworld Lounges

Search this Thread

Old Sep 5, 2012, 8:53 am

Not IB, but I recently put on hold a CX award itinerary. It said "on request" the entire duration of the hold. On the last day of the hold, I purchased. Within 4 hours, it went from "on request" to "ticketed."

Of course, YMMV, but I'd say relax. The "on request" thing does not mean there's a problem.

For additional information on the "on request" issue, see http://www.travelingbetter.com/forum...ead.php?t=5261

Last edited by zachary; Sep 5, 2012 at 8:55 am Reason: Remebered that TB had info on this topic
Old Sep 5, 2012, 9:02 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
The sooner you are ticketed, the less you need to worry. Not that ticketed itineraries don't have issues now and again, but until you are ticketed the world of things that can go wrong is greater.

This is particularly true if someone else grabs your IB seats while IB's time to accept the reservation is still running.
Old Sep 5, 2012, 10:02 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
Given the number of questions that have come up on this topic of late, I've created a consolidated thread, so hopefully previous experiences can help guide future expectations on this subject. As always, feedback is appreciated via PM or AMP.

~Moderator
Old Sep 5, 2012, 11:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
Originally Posted by Microwave
Given the number of questions that have come up on this topic of late, I've created a consolidated thread, so hopefully previous experiences can help guide future expectations on this subject. As always, feedback is appreciated via PM or AMP.

~Moderator
In the unlikely event anyone ever reads these consolidated threads, I'd like to just point out that the incidence of problems with "on request" reservations is miniscule. While we've seen some reports of problems, those pale in comparison to the vast majority that have no problems at all. People on FT love to get hyperbolic and make posts suggesting things like "on request is meaningless," but that's just not the case. We don't have the data, but I'd be very surprised if less than 99.99% of "on request" reservations go through without a hitch (meaning that maybe -- maybe -- 1 in 10,000 have a problem; but I'd be surprised if even that many have a problem).
Old Sep 5, 2012, 11:29 am

Just to throw an anecdote onto the pile, I (carelessly) totally ignored the detail that the TATL I'd booked at aa.com (out of FCO) remained 'on request' until I tried to OLCI.

The message from BA.com didn't sound dire - "call our agent, or simply show up at the airport where we'll sort it out" - so when we arrived at FCO I walked up to the BA office to ask what was the problem. "We have your booking and are holding space, but don't have ticket numbers [and neither our wonderful ManyWorld Alliance nor our joint operating agreement with AA allows us to retrieve them, so go talk to AA about it.]

I quickly logged into aa.com to retrieve the ticket numbers only to learn that the booking was 'on request' and had been since June 4, 2013 [sic]. My fault for not checking on June 6th (2012), their fault for a computer glitch that got the year wrong and thus probably screwed up the progress of ticketing.

At least with plat I fairly quickly got to an aagent who understood the issue and went to work getting me ticketed, likely some effort on her part. Half an hour later we were good to go. BA's computer still hadn't heard from AA's computer, but the aagent had read me the numbers and the BA rep was pleased to type them in. Amusingly she couldn't simply issue bp's, but OLCI worked.

Another lesson learned the hard way. I had AA's PNR and also BA's, which lulled me into thinking I was good to go. Not exactly.
Old Sep 5, 2012, 11:31 am

Originally Posted by Blumie
We don't have the data, but I'd be very surprised if less than 99.99% of "on request" reservations go through without a hitch (meaning that maybe -- maybe -- 1 in 10,000 have a problem; but I'd be surprised if even that many have a problem).
My "on request" held award reservation ticketed within about 15 seconds of payment, which is the fastest I've seen ticketing.

Yesterday, I had a problem with a partner pulling seats from the "on hold" reservation, but I never saw "on request." Today I saw "on request" but there was no problem.
Old Sep 5, 2012, 11:34 am

Originally Posted by JohnAx
Another lesson learned the hard way. I had AA's PNR and also BA's, which lulled me into thinking I was good to go. Not exactly.
I believe the better lesson is to make sure you are ticketed withing a reasonable amount of time.

If you're not, it may not matter what aa.com shows, be it "on request," "purchased" or something else. Sometimes you get a ticket number very quickly, sometimes it takes a few days, but otherwise call.
Old Sep 5, 2012, 1:27 pm

Programs: NW/DL Plat->Gold->Silver, AA EXP 1MM
Do we have a reservation or not?

Through AA.com bought DTW-DFW-Buenos Aires-BRC and return. The flights to and from BRC (AEP-BRC) are LAN flights. The outbound AEP-BRC is listed as LAN 4346 and LAN can see the reservation and has assigned seats. But BRC-AEP is listed as AA 7683 operated by LAN (LAN 4347) and LAN does not see our reservation. Many calls to the EXP desk and they insist that NO ONE can see the reservation until at the airport on the day of return, because it is a code share. Obviously not comforting, maybe the reservation is not seen because it doesn't exist.

Any idea whom I could contact at AA to confirm I have a reservation, short of a certified letter to Tom Horton?
Old Sep 5, 2012, 1:35 pm

Programs: WN A-List, AA good-riddance, Safeway Club Card Extraordinaire
Just to be sure I understand -- all the flights you think you bought are listed on your aa.com itinerary, right? If so, you should be fine; just be sure to carry a printout of this itinerary, with ticket number, during your trip.

I've flown many times on AA-ticketed LAN flights (codeshares and not), and generally what you describe seems to be the case -- with a LAN flight number, I can access the reservation on LAN's site, change seats, etc. With an AA flight number, it's nowhere to be found. Sometimes AA codeshares even cause issues when checking in, e.g. the LAN agent has trouble finding the full reservation. While they've always ultimately figured it out, this is double the reason to carry a copy of your itinerary and ticket number.
Old Sep 5, 2012, 2:06 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Does the reservation show as purchased, or ticketed? If you click to see the itinerary on aa.com, does it have ticket numbers (beginning with 001- if AA purchased)?
Old Sep 5, 2012, 2:06 pm

Programs: NW/DL Plat->Gold->Silver, AA EXP 1MM
Originally Posted by Science Goy
Just to be sure I understand -- all the flights you think you bought are listed on your aa.com itinerary, right? If so, you should be fine; just be sure to carry a printout of this itinerary, with ticket number, during your trip.

I've flown many times on AA-ticketed LAN flights (codeshares and not), and generally what you describe seems to be the case -- with a LAN flight number, I can access the reservation on LAN's site, change seats, etc. With an AA flight number, it's nowhere to be found. Sometimes AA codeshares even cause issues when checking in, e.g. the LAN agent has trouble finding the full reservation. While they've always ultimately figured it out, this is double the reason to carry a copy of your itinerary and ticket number.
Thanks. Our situation sounds exactly like yours and will carry the print out

Still not clear why one LAN direction is treated so differently from the other
Old Sep 5, 2012, 2:17 pm

Originally Posted by NWAOldtimer
Thanks. Our situation sounds exactly like yours and will carry the print out

Still not clear why one LAN direction is treated so differently from the other
It's all decided somewhere in the room of a million monkeys at a million typewriters that passes for airlines' reservation systems. Sometimes when traveling to South America, flying the short LAN legs on AA codeshares costs hundreds of dollars more (and involves substantially worse connections) than with LAN flight numbers. Other times it's the opposite. Often I end up with the outbound as an AA codeshare and the return as a LAN flight. There may be some internal rhyme or reason to it, but on my end it seems random.
Old Sep 5, 2012, 2:20 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
The IT systems don't play nice with each other either. But here it is:

In this instance, as LAN is joining Sabre as a client this month, some of the monkey chow issues might be resolved "mañana", as it is said in Latin America. (Means "maybe sometime in the near future..." and not "tomorrow".)

Originally Posted by Science Goy
It's all decided somewhere in the room of a million monkeys at a million typewriters that passes for airlines' reservation systems. Sometimes when traveling to South America, flying the short LAN legs on AA codeshares costs hundreds of dollars more (and involves substantially worse connections) than with LAN flight numbers. Other times it's the opposite. Often I end up with the outbound as an AA codeshare and the return as a LAN flight. There may be some internal rhyme or reason to it, but on my end it seems random.

Last edited by JDiver; Sep 5, 2012 at 4:14 pm Reason: add last para
Old Sep 5, 2012, 2:27 pm

One more bit of advice -- if you want to make absolutely sure that your reservation is as expected, enter your ticket number and last name on www.refunds.aa.com (obviously without actually requesting a refund). It'll show definitively which flight segments are attached to your ticket.
Old Sep 5, 2012, 3:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by NWAOldtimer
Through AA.com bought DTW-DFW-Buenos Aires-BRC and return. The flights to and from BRC (AEP-BRC) are LAN flights. The outbound AEP-BRC is listed as LAN 4346 and LAN can see the reservation and has assigned seats. But BRC-AEP is listed as AA 7683 operated by LAN (LAN 4347) and LAN does not see our reservation. Many calls to the EXP desk and they insist that NO ONE can see the reservation until at the airport on the day of return, because it is a code share. Obviously not comforting, maybe the reservation is not seen because it doesn't exist.
Some airlines/systems don't create an operating PNR for a codeshare flight under the operating flight number; I've seen this with AF & AZ (Amadeus Altéa). I believe LAN is on Altéa as well. In this case LAN should be able to see your reservation for AA*7683 in its system, and will have an Amadeus record locator that's different than the Sabre-generated one of the AA itinerary. It will not have a reservation under LA4347; the EXP desk is correct in that sense.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.