Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Guide: LAX / Los Angeles TBIT / Bradley Int’l. oneworld Lounges

Old Apr 30, 2015, 10:42 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: J.Edward
Los Angeles International Airport - Tom Bradley International Terminal oneworld Lounges

Location: Go airside via the North security check. Continue past the SkyTeam marked elevator / lift past the Star Alliance lounge signage and escalators to the main shops area and take the elevator to the oneworld Lounge on floor 5. (LAX / LAWA now allows passengers with same day departing boarding passes multi-terminal access.)

See AA T-4 - LAX TBIT secure airside connector open 25 Feb 2016 for airside access via the secure airside connector.

Qantas International First Lounge
Open daily: 06:30 - 23:30 [currently closed] QF F Lounge has REOPENED as of SEP 2022.

Amenities:
Computer connected to Internet
Neil Perry dining and buffet (hot, cold, food carts)
Full staffed bar and made to order mixed drinks
Barista and coffee selections
Shower suites (7)

Access rules:
Traveling on a oneworld marketed and operated first departing in, or connecting from, first class on a oneworld international flight of over 5 hours,
or
traveling in first class on a three-class domestic flight
or
a oneworld Emerald cardholder. Exception being AA Executive Platinum and Platinum Pro are not eligible for access when traveling solely on flights within or between the U.S., Canada, Mexico (except Mexico City), Bermuda, the Bahamas, and the Caribbean.

oneworld Los Angeles Lounge
Open daily: 14:00 - 20:45

Amenities:
Computer connected to Internet
Neil Perry dining and buffet (hot, cold, food carts)
Full staffed bar and made to order mixed drinks
Barista and coffee selections
Shower suites (9)

Access rules:
Traveling on a oneworld marketed and operated business or first departing in, or connecting from, business or first class on a oneworld international flight of over 5 hours,
or
traveling in business or first class on a three-class domestic flight
or
a oneworld Sapphire or Emerald cardholder. Exception being AA Executive Platinum, Platinum Pro, and Platinum members are not eligible for access when traveling solely on flights within or between the U.S., Canada, Mexico (except Mexico City), Bermuda, the Bahamas, and the Caribbean.
Print Wikipost

Guide: LAX / Los Angeles TBIT / Bradley Int’l. oneworld Lounges

Old Feb 8, 2017, 1:30 am

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott GLD, HH PLT, Hertz 5*
Has anyone had any difficulties getting in when EXP (flying Y) on the 00:35 LAX-HKG since the departure is not the same day?
Old Feb 8, 2017, 2:08 am

Programs: AA EXP OWE, DL DM ST+, AS MVPG, UA, BA, WN CP, Hyatt E, Ritz Plat, HH GM
Originally Posted by burtonmadness
Has anyone had any difficulties getting in when EXP (flying Y) on the 00:35 LAX-HKG since the departure is not the same day?
You mean like your flight is technically on Fri 00:35 and your trying to get in on Thurs 22:00? No problems at all, except the lounges close around 23:30.
Old Feb 8, 2017, 6:07 am

Programs: Ex Plat, Avis President's, and various hoteliers...
Still a problem

Was returning from Hong Kong on 20JAN17 at about 6pm as EXP with Business Class ticket via LAX on American Airlines and thought I'd the first class lounge during my layover. (I am Executive Platinum as well as Marco Polo Gold)

I was denied access due to capacity, even though the lounge was pretty empty. I understand the importance of protecting the brand, so I offered to leave if the lounge became crowded, but this fell in deaf ears.

The person manning the desk and manager Jordan were always very professional and polite. However, there was a third gentleman with Jordan who, while also polite, informed me that this lounge is not a Oneworld lounge..."that's why the sign says Qantas First."

Long story short, I fly around the world on Oneworld carriers and have never received this resistance at BA or CX lounges who, like Qantas offer a superior lounge experience.

A review of the internet shows that this happens often at this property, needless to say this is frustrating as a Oneworld devotee.
Old Feb 8, 2017, 6:40 am

Programs: It's Complicated...
Originally Posted by USD2BUSMC
Was returning from Hong Kong on 20JAN17 at about 6pm as EXP with Business Class ticket via LAX on American Airlines and thought I'd the first class lounge during my layover. (I am Executive Platinum as well as Marco Polo Gold)

I was denied access due to capacity, even though the lounge was pretty empty. I understand the importance of protecting the brand, so I offered to leave if the lounge became crowded, but this fell in deaf ears.

The person manning the desk and manager Jordan were always very professional and polite. However, there was a third gentleman with Jordan who, while also polite, informed me that this lounge is not a Oneworld lounge..."that's why the sign says Qantas First."

Long story short, I fly around the world on Oneworld carriers and have never received this resistance at BA or CX lounges who, like Qantas offer a superior lounge experience.

A review of the internet shows that this happens often at this property, needless to say this is frustrating as a Oneworld devotee.
I would not only post the info here but but other places like Twitter in particular. Sounds like BS to me. I would also hit Qantas and AA with a complaint. Qantas is a part of Oneworld, the Oneworld rules are clear so it is a OneWorld lounge.
Old Feb 8, 2017, 11:45 am

Programs: AA EXP, TK Elite, HH Gold, SPG/Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by mcgahat
I would not only post the info here but but other places like Twitter in particular. Sounds like BS to me. I would also hit Qantas and AA with a complaint. Qantas is a part of Oneworld, the Oneworld rules are clear so it is a OneWorld lounge.
I agree ! There are some lounges managed by OW airlines that are NOT
part of the OW lounge network (CCR, Al Safwa) but this is NOT one of
them. I have been to the lounge as OWE and have been admitted..

Having said that they can deny entry based on "capacity" but seems like
this was not the case at the time so this should be pointed out to
someone somewhere in OW marketing department...

F.A.
Old Feb 8, 2017, 12:31 pm

Programs: BA GfL, GGL/CCR
the Qantas lounge is deffo a OW lounge.

But if travelling with AA status and not in F (intl) in your itininery, I believe they don't allow you in. I think the lounge would be the OW/ BA lounge at LAX.

We had problems first time we used it - LAX to CLT - no intl flights or anything and just showed them the AA BP with OWE status. They refused until we showed them our actual BA cards, then let in all ok.

So we always go armed with our cards as they always insist to see them.

Last edited by crazyarmadillo; Feb 8, 2017 at 12:36 pm
Old Feb 8, 2017, 12:41 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by crazyarmadillo
the Qantas lounge is deffo a OW lounge. But if travelling with AA status and not in F (intl) in your itininery, I believe they don't allow you in.

We had problems first time we used it - LAX to CLT - no intl flights or anything and just showed them the AA BP with OWE status. They refused until we showed them our actual BA cards, then let in all ok.

So we always go armed with our cards as they always insist to see them.
AA status flyers flyers do not get QF First access unless they are on full three class transcons in First, or traveling to International "longhaul" qualifying destinations as defined in oneworld Lounge access rules. BAEC card holders do.

oneworld lounge access for frequent flyers by tier status
Enjoy exclusive access to premium airport lounges around the world with oneworld Emerald or Sapphire frequent flyer tier status. Members of oneworld airline frequent flyer programmes with the equivalent of oneworld Emerald or Sapphire tier status can use lounges offered by oneworld airlines when departing on any flight marketed and operated by any oneworld member airline, regardless of cabin class being flown (exceptions are noted below).
  • Emerald tier frequent flyers can use First Class, Business Class or frequent flyer lounges.
  • Sapphire tier frequent flyers are welcome in Business Class* or frequent flyer lounges. (*does not include Qantas Domestic Business Lounges)
  • Emerald and Sapphire members may invite one guest to join them in the lounge. The guest must also be travelling on a flight operated and marketed by a oneworld carrier.
  • You must be prepared to show your boarding pass and frequent flyer membership card, with oneworld Emerald or Sapphire tier status, to access a lounge.

The following exceptions apply:
  • American Airlines and Qantas offer programmes enabling customers to pay to gain access to their lounges. These programmes are not part of the oneworld agreement, and members of these programmes are not entitled to access lounges under the oneworld agreement.
  • American Airlines AAdvantage® members, regardless of their tier status or class of travel, are not eligible for lounge access when travelling solely on North American flights within or between the U.S., Canada, Mexico (except Mexico City), the Bahamas, Bermuda and the Caribbean. For more information, visit, http://www.aa.com/i18n/travelInforma...miralsClub.jsp
  • Qantas Frequent Flyer Gold members, regardless of their oneworld tier status, cannot access Qantas Domestic Business Lounges.
  • Qatar Airways Al Safwa and Al Mourjan lounges at Hamad International Airport in Doha and Qatar Airways Premium Lounge at London Heathrow Terminal 4 are excluded.
Old Feb 8, 2017, 12:53 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG / Marriott GLD, HHonors GLD

Strange. I got in no problem on Sunday, coming off of HKG - LAX in Business as an AA EXP connecting to a domestic F flight several hours later to SFO. Just handed boarding passes and was let right in
Old Feb 8, 2017, 1:08 pm

Originally Posted by JDiver
AA status flyers flyers do not get QF First access unless they are on full three class transcons in First, or traveling to International "longhaul" qualifying destinations as defined in oneworld Lounge access rules. BAEC card holders do.

oneworld lounge access for frequent flyers by tier status
Enjoy exclusive access to premium airport lounges around the world with oneworld Emerald or Sapphire frequent flyer tier status. Members of oneworld airline frequent flyer programmes with the equivalent of oneworld Emerald or Sapphire tier status can use lounges offered by oneworld airlines when departing on any flight marketed and operated by any oneworld member airline, regardless of cabin class being flown (exceptions are noted below).
  • Emerald tier frequent flyers can use First Class, Business Class or frequent flyer lounges.
  • Sapphire tier frequent flyers are welcome in Business Class* or frequent flyer lounges. (*does not include Qantas Domestic Business Lounges)
  • Emerald and Sapphire members may invite one guest to join them in the lounge. The guest must also be travelling on a flight operated and marketed by a oneworld carrier.
  • You must be prepared to show your boarding pass and frequent flyer membership card, with oneworld Emerald or Sapphire tier status, to access a lounge.

The following exceptions apply:
  • American Airlines and Qantas offer programmes enabling customers to pay to gain access to their lounges. These programmes are not part of the oneworld agreement, and members of these programmes are not entitled to access lounges under the oneworld agreement.
  • American Airlines AAdvantage® members, regardless of their tier status or class of travel, are not eligible for lounge access when travelling solely on North American flights within or between the U.S., Canada, Mexico (except Mexico City), the Bahamas, Bermuda and the Caribbean. For more information, visit, http://www.aa.com/i18n/travelInforma...miralsClub.jsp
  • Qantas Frequent Flyer Gold members, regardless of their oneworld tier status, cannot access Qantas Domestic Business Lounges.
  • Qatar Airways Al Safwa and Al Mourjan lounges at Hamad International Airport in Doha and Qatar Airways Premium Lounge at London Heathrow Terminal 4 are excluded.
I thought I was going mad or something - the previous posts seemed as tho they should have access on AA status. Its always been the case that AA status alone, doesn't grant you access. Glad I'm not going mad

It always has struck me as a bit punitive that EXPLATS cant access by their status alone , say the Flagship lounge at T4, but loads of BA people can! But hey, the way to go is have status on 2 OW airlines if you want the F lounges.
Old Feb 8, 2017, 3:37 pm

Programs: Ex Plat, Avis President's, and various hoteliers...
Originally Posted by lds89
Strange. I got in no problem on Sunday, coming off of HKG - LAX in Business as an AA EXP connecting to a domestic F flight several hours later to SFO. Just handed boarding passes and was let right in
Good to hear, that was my same situation. I sent what was I hope was a pleasant enough letter to the Qantas VP of Operations in southern California as well as to the manager that was on duty, perhaps they re-reviewed their recent training?

Again, I was never rude, nor were they...can't explain the outcome, but glad to hear it went well for you, hope it continues to do so for others and look forward to trying again soon!
Old Feb 8, 2017, 3:43 pm

Good to hear, that was my same situation. I sent what was I hope a pleasant enough letter to the Qantas VP of Operations in southern California as well as to the manager that was on duty, perhaps they re-reviewed their recent training?

Again, I was never rude, nor were they...can't explain the outcome, but glad to hear it went well for you, hope it continues to do so for others and look forward to trying again soon!
I think they (Qantas agent)made a mistake in the case lds89 had above, about letting them in the OW F lounge - they should have access to the BA lounge which is the OW business lounge, if in Business

As the rules say, you would have to be F intl or F transcon, 3 class, or any OWE flying a OW plane, except AA OW status.

I think !

EDIT - maybe if flying in on Qantas metal, then they allow it - maybe thats the difference ?

Last edited by crazyarmadillo; Feb 8, 2017 at 3:55 pm
Old Feb 8, 2017, 4:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
EDIT - maybe if flying in on Qantas metal, then they allow it - maybe thats the difference ?
Lounge Access

The lounge is oneworld airline independent.

I using status based access then travel ANY oneworld metal should be sufficient as long as on a oneworld operated and marketed flight and being either a non AAdvantage Emerald or an AAdvantage Emerald (EXP) on a defined "International" itinerary.
Attached Images  
Old Feb 8, 2017, 4:52 pm

Originally Posted by serfty
The lounge is oneworld airline independent.

Lounge Access

ANY oneworld metal should be sufficient as long as travelling on a oneworld operated and market flight and being a non AAdvantage Emerald or an AAdvantage Emerald (EXP) on a defined "International" itinerary.
so I am right in saying what I originally said, that the Qantas agent made a mistake letting in a AA EXP flying on an intl ticket BIZ cabin???? .

I had thought they have to be OWE (not AA) or be flying intl F or 3 class transcon F on a OW flight number

So the person above was lucky to get in who was in intl BIZ and using AA status? Or not ?

I am sure its just F passengers on DOM 3 class or intl F and non AA OWE, tho.

EDIT - thinking about it a bit longer, Im pretty sure intl BIZ alone, doesnt cut it to get into the F lounge. Im in there in over the next few weeks three separate times - I will ask each agent I see what they think the policy is and feed it back here. Itll be interesting in how they see the rules, as I know BA agents in lounges at LHR, often make mistakes too.

Last edited by crazyarmadillo; Feb 8, 2017 at 5:10 pm
Old Feb 8, 2017, 6:06 pm

Programs: MAR AMB, WOH Explorist, AA EXP, UA 2P
so I am right in saying what I originally said, that the Qantas agent made a mistake letting in a AA EXP flying on an intl ticket BIZ cabin???? .

I had thought they have to be OWE (not AA) or be flying intl F or 3 class transcon F on a OW flight number

So the person above was lucky to get in who was in intl BIZ and using AA status? Or not ?

I am sure its just F passengers on DOM 3 class or intl F and non AA OWE, tho.

EDIT - thinking about it a bit longer, Im pretty sure intl BIZ alone, doesnt cut it to get into the F lounge. Im in there in over the next few weeks three separate times - I will ask each agent I see what they think the policy is and feed it back here. Itll be interesting in how they see the rules, as I know BA agents in lounges at LHR, often make mistakes too.
An AA EXP (OWE) can access the QF F lounge at LAX, regardless of class being flown, if they are on a qualifying international itinerary. Full stop.
Old Feb 8, 2017, 6:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
so I am right in saying what I originally said, that the Qantas agent made a mistake letting in a AA EXP flying on an intl ticket BIZ cabin???? ...
My statement was in relation to Status based access only - I did clarify that with en edit "I using status based access then travel ...".

An EXP in BIZ on an "international" oneworld itinerary can access the First lounge based on status, not class of service (BIZ < First).

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.