Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Making the most of layovers in PHL and JFK

Old Apr 29, 2015, 8:06 am
Original Poster

Programs: QRPC Platinum, KFEG

Hi everyone,

I'm doing a trip to Montreal and flying back from Toronto.
Both have layovers in the US.

Outbound: BRU - PHL - YUL (US Air)
Return: YYZ - JFK - LHR (AA)

I reckon I have about 1h30m of free time on every layover.

My questions:

• What would be the best lounge to use in PHL, does anyone know in which terminal I will be arriving and where my connection to YUL will be? (OW Sapphire)
  • What would be the best lounge to use in JFK, same question also regarding terminals?
  • I presume on my outbound journey I have to clear immigration in the US even though I'm in transfer?
  • What's the lounge situation like in Toronto for OW passengers. Any experiences?

Thanks!
Old Apr 29, 2015, 8:39 am

Programs: AA - Plat, HHonors - Diamond, IHG - Plat, Marriott - Gold, National - Exec, Amtrak - Select, NEXUS
PHL - arrive in A-West, depart for YUL in F. You need to take the (airside) shuttle to F - walking would involve going in and out of landside terminals.

A-West has a large lounge. F has a small lounge on the 2nd Floor above the HUB. I would get to F ASAP and use the lounge there after arrival, if you have time after clearing US Customs & TSA. (Yes, you have to clear US CBP on arrival at PHL - the US doesn't recognize 'transit' as a concept.)

YYZ has an Admiral's Club in Terminal 3, after clearing US CBP Preclearance. That's your only choice - make a hard right after clearing CATSA security.
Old Apr 29, 2015, 8:39 am

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, SPG Gold, HH, Marriott Silver, Delta, United, TSA Prechk/GE
Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but I think on your YYZ-JFK leg you'll clear customs into the US while in Toronto. So you *should* have full access to the AA terminals (8/9) at JFK. Are you flying JFK-LHR on AA metal? (if so, why aren't you flying BA?!!!!).

If you're on AA metal, you'll have 2 AA Admirals' Club lounges to use in the terminal - one at Terminal 9 and one at Terminal 8. They're fine, but nothing special, and IIRC there are no other lounges there. If you're on BA metal to LHR, just go to the BA terminal and the BA lounges, they are much nicer than the AA lounges. But with 1h30m on the layover, I wouldn't trek to BA just for the lounge if you have to come back to the AA terminal for your LHR flight.
Old Apr 29, 2015, 10:58 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
We have a thread in the pre-merger US forum dedicated to the Philly hub here:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/us-ai...a-airport.html

You'll want to see what gates your flights arrive and leave from. My guess is your BRU-PHL will arrive in the high As, while PHL-YUL could possibly leave from F (which requires a bus).
Old Apr 29, 2015, 11:01 am

Programs: AA EXP 1.2mm, Kimpton IC, Starwood Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by kboo
If you're on AA metal, you'll have 2 AA Admirals' Club lounges to use in the terminal - one at Terminal 9 and one at Terminal 8.

Terminal 9 has not existed for over a decade. AA is entirely in Terminal 8. There are two lounges, one in each concourse.
Old Apr 29, 2015, 2:24 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Platinum, IHG Spire, National Exec Elite, Hertz Five Star
I ate too many maple cream cookies in the YYZ AC before. Couldn't help myself.

I agree with pa3lsvt, just make sure you get to F-terminal and hang out in that AC. It is small but better than the small waiting areas in F.
Old Apr 29, 2015, 3:51 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, UA 1K, AA CK
There is a Philadelphia Pretzel Factory in F at PHL. These are real soft pretzels not the buttered dinner rolls at Annie Anne's. Try the Philly CheeseSteak in a pretzel and grab a box of pretzels to go. Feel the brotherly love.
P

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.