Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

[2015 NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your Consolidated / Combined AA Questions Here (flame free)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Apr 24, 2015, 3:45 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Welcome to the 2015 "NEWBIE LOUNGE"
Ask Your Consolidated / Combined AA Questions Here (flame free)
MODERATOR GUIDEPOST:
(This post can only be edited by moderators.)

Welcome to the Newbie Lounge!

Thanks to thread founder / "plank owner" HNL! Founder and previous FlyerTalk owner, Randy Petersen, quoted (with necessary word substitutions) said in the Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan Forum:
Originally Posted by Randy Petersen

Welcome to FlyerTalk.

The Newbie Lounge is a place where you can get answers to your questions about American Airlines and the AAdvantage program. No question is too stupid, nothing is taken for granted, and anything about American Airlines you were afraid to ask elsewhere, or weren't sure where to ask, you can ask here.

We realize that FlyerTalk is a huge place. Until you learn your way around, feel free to post here without fear of retribution or reprimands for not using search. Our volunteer Moderators will be monitoring the lounge to assist you in finding your answers but I think you'll find that all members of FlyerTalk are here to assist you with answers and advice.

We're all glad you are here.
~American AAdvantage Forum Moderation Team

The pre-consolidation AA NEWBIE LOUNGE thread is here

Some very useful threads for new members to check include.

FAQ: American Airlines and AAdvantage - Please check here first!

WELCOME, US Airways and New AAdvantage members! A GUIDE.

Link to thread covering Weather, IRROPS (irregular operations) etc. of significance affecting American Airlines' operations. This thread contains links to some very useful assistance, AA weather policy and other tools.

HELP DESK: Ask questions about Lounge Access, Challenges, Upgrades, Miles & Points

American Airlines LOUNGEVDASHBOARD
Print Wikipost

[2015 NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your Consolidated / Combined AA Questions Here (flame free)

Search this Thread

Old May 23, 2015, 8:30 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
I see two challenges here:

The BA Avios programme just underwent a change wherein one earns partial credit for discounted economy flights and even less for highly discounted economy fares. See here in the BAEC Forum for an easy to access guide to earning Avios and attaining status in the British Airways Executive Club.

The AA AAdvantage program requires you fly at minimum four segments on AA coded flights per annum; this can be a challenge if you don't visit the Americas frequently enough to accomplish this requirement.

See here for a guide to earning status and miles with AA; note AA uses three parallel schemes for attaining status: miles, "points" (a multiple of miles based on fare class) and segments flown.
Old May 23, 2015, 9:26 am

Originally Posted by JDiver
Here's the upgrade miles (and copay) award chart on aa.com.

You can waitlist at any time; the earlier, the better.

But... upgrades are prioritized first by status, then by time of request in your case. Some look up upgrade availability status on ExpertFlyer, call, buy and upgrade with the same call. But as you've bought, you're a bit at the mercy of the upgrade gods.

There's also a chance you'll be offered a paid upgrade if you check in online, or at the kiosk at the airport (LFBU, or Load Factor Based Upgrade) and rarely - more overseas to US than US to overseas - you could be offered a counter upgrade.
I haven't bought the ticket yet l, so would I be able to do the call, buy & upgrade In the same call?
Old May 23, 2015, 9:55 am

Originally Posted by wesbob
I haven't bought the ticket yet l, so would I be able to do the call, buy & upgrade In the same call?
You could.

Use a tool like ExpertFlyer to determine if there's available upgrade inventory (EF has a free trial) and if you find it, call, book and upgrade.
Old May 23, 2015, 7:42 pm

A question about online check-in:

If I have a BA ticketed itinerary with US flight numbers on AA metal, where would I do the online check-in?

(please don't tell me US because I can not access the reservation online with them because they say it is not ticketed, everyone else says it is)
Old May 23, 2015, 9:22 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
If you were going to check in on the ground, you always check in with the operating carrier, in this case AA. If you want to check in on-line not sure AA will let you do that if you didn't book on their web site.
Old May 23, 2015, 11:09 pm

Originally Posted by JDiver
You could.

Use a tool like ExpertFlyer to determine if there's available upgrade inventory (EF has a free trial) and if you find it, call, book and upgrade.
If there is upgrade availability what does It cost? How far out can upgrades be done?
Old May 24, 2015, 8:02 am

Originally Posted by wesbob
If there is upgrade availability what does It cost? How far out can upgrades be done?
If inventory is available, an upgrade can be confirmed.

Costs (miles and copay if due) of upgrades vary, per this page on aa.com.

Straight money upgrades are usually only available if you get an offer when you check in online, at the kiosk or counter (LFBU, Load Factor Based Upgrade).
Old May 24, 2015, 9:24 am

Programs: BA, AA, SQ, UA, AC, WS, MR TIT
Is a BA flight number operated by an AA metal is considered a one qualifying flight out of four to qualify for elite status with AA?
Old May 24, 2015, 11:05 am

Chicago to Paris- Business or economy or?

Not sure where to ask this specific question to reach those who have done this route recently. Wife and I for 36th anniversary want to go Normandy, Brittany etc. next spring. We can spurge business one way and economy back with AA miles (or maybe break the bank and go business both ways). We read a business bed is needed more flying east so you can sleep and be ready to go in Europe. Others say its a nice perk to look forward to business on way back. Read about 4 months of Skytrax reviews of AA and most people were not happy in either class. A back up plan is Iberia via Madrid but that is more travel time and miles. Any great thoughts for Paris travel 2016? Thanks
Old May 24, 2015, 11:07 am

Originally Posted by NA-Flyer
Is a BA flight number operated by an AA metal is considered a one qualifying flight out of four to qualify for elite status with AA?
This is covered in the current thread:

Four (4) Minimum AA or US segments to earn / keep status enforced as of 2014

*Must fly at least four segments on American or US Airways during the qualifying year to receive elite status. Link
https://www.aa.com/i18n/AAdvantage/eliteStatus/main.jsp.[/quote]

From the wiki in that thread (information thanks to FT members who went the extra mile to verify what AA hasn't clarified):

Note: Members must fly at least four segments on American Airlines, American Eagle, the American Connection carrier, US Airways, US Airways Express or US Airways Shuttle to qualify for Executive Platinum, Platinum or Gold status within the qualifying year. Qualifying miles do not include class-of-service bonus miles, other participant miles or any other AAdvantage bonus mileage. Miles purchased through buyAAmiles and giftAAmiles do not qualify for elite status.
bhomburg and flatlander both have had verified with AA CSRs one must fly four AA (and/or US) marketed segments to qualify for AAdvantage status this year. Codeshare flights (AA flight number, operated by another carrier) count as AA segments:

"American Airlines marketed codeshare flights would count towards the four segments on American Airlines, American Eagle, the American Connection carrier, US Airways, US Airways Express or US Airways Shuttle required to qualify for Executive Platinum, Platinum or Gold status within the qualifying year".
Old May 24, 2015, 5:07 pm

Originally Posted by amybd
A question about online check-in:

If I have a BA ticketed itinerary with US flight numbers on AA metal, where would I do the online check-in?

(please don't tell me US because I can not access the reservation online with them because they say it is not ticketed, everyone else says it is)
Online check in with AA. Make sure to have the AA record locator available.
Old May 25, 2015, 7:32 am

Programs: AA-EXP, MR-PP
Back at pmUS for elites minimum of 500 miles was qualifying miles for flights shorter than 500 miles. However when I look at AA site now, I see actual miles there vs. 500 mile segment. Is this correct or a glitch? (I am EXP)
Old May 25, 2015, 8:11 am

Originally Posted by iztok
Back at pmUS for elites minimum of 500 miles was qualifying miles for flights shorter than 500 miles. However when I look at AA site now, I see actual miles there vs. 500 mile segment. Is this correct or a glitch? (I am EXP)
You still earn them; the way it's displayed is the glitch. If you keep a running check, you'll see it's occurring.
Old May 25, 2015, 10:49 am

Programs: BA, AA, SQ, UA, AC, WS, MR TIT
What is an RDM?
Old May 25, 2015, 11:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Originally Posted by NA-Flyer
What is an RDM?
A redeemable mile, as distinguished from an elite qualifying mile.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.