Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

[2015 NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your Consolidated / Combined AA Questions Here (flame free)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Apr 24, 2015, 3:45 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Welcome to the 2015 "NEWBIE LOUNGE"
Ask Your Consolidated / Combined AA Questions Here (flame free)
MODERATOR GUIDEPOST:
(This post can only be edited by moderators.)

Welcome to the Newbie Lounge!

Thanks to thread founder / "plank owner" HNL! Founder and previous FlyerTalk owner, Randy Petersen, quoted (with necessary word substitutions) said in the Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan Forum:
Originally Posted by Randy Petersen

Welcome to FlyerTalk.

The Newbie Lounge is a place where you can get answers to your questions about American Airlines and the AAdvantage program. No question is too stupid, nothing is taken for granted, and anything about American Airlines you were afraid to ask elsewhere, or weren't sure where to ask, you can ask here.

We realize that FlyerTalk is a huge place. Until you learn your way around, feel free to post here without fear of retribution or reprimands for not using search. Our volunteer Moderators will be monitoring the lounge to assist you in finding your answers but I think you'll find that all members of FlyerTalk are here to assist you with answers and advice.

We're all glad you are here.
~American AAdvantage Forum Moderation Team

The pre-consolidation AA NEWBIE LOUNGE thread is here

Some very useful threads for new members to check include.

FAQ: American Airlines and AAdvantage - Please check here first!

WELCOME, US Airways and New AAdvantage members! A GUIDE.

Link to thread covering Weather, IRROPS (irregular operations) etc. of significance affecting American Airlines' operations. This thread contains links to some very useful assistance, AA weather policy and other tools.

HELP DESK: Ask questions about Lounge Access, Challenges, Upgrades, Miles & Points

American Airlines LOUNGEVDASHBOARD
Print Wikipost

[2015 NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your Consolidated / Combined AA Questions Here (flame free)

Search this Thread

Old May 15, 2015, 12:56 pm

Are there fees when changing milesaaver award flights, if the origin and final destination, as well as the date of travel remains the same?
Old May 15, 2015, 1:14 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by pushthelimit
Are there fees when changing milesaaver award flights, if the origin and final destination, as well as the date of travel remains the same?
Mostly not; not so if one has non-oneworld partners and wants to change to oneworld partners or vice versa, iirc. And date changes can be made, routing and even dropping a segment under certain circumstances.
Old May 16, 2015, 11:06 am

Hi folks,

Kind of a combined question here. I have a US companion pass from the credit card, and I recently read that we can use those on AA flights (please correct me if that's wrong).

I was wondering, will I be able to use an AA travel voucher on a trip where I'm also using the companion pass? Or is it an either/or kind of thing?

Thanks for the help!
Old May 16, 2015, 11:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
BA ticket / AA metal

So I have my AA PNR/flight # for this, yet AA.com seems paralyzed in doing anything with it (can't look it up to change seats, do meal order, etc.)

Am I missing something here?
Old May 16, 2015, 11:40 am

Originally Posted by MarcusBWI
Hi folks,

Kind of a combined question here. I have a US companion pass from the credit card, and I recently read that we can use those on AA flights (please correct me if that's wrong).

I was wondering, will I be able to use an AA travel voucher on a trip where I'm also using the companion pass? Or is it an either/or kind of thing?

Thanks for the help!
The current thread and wiki in the US Airways (Pre-Consolidation) Forum indicates credit card companion passes can only be used on (prime) coded US Airways flights, from what I can read. This makes sense because the Passenger Service Systems aren't expected to merge until October.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/us-ai...er-thread.html
Old May 16, 2015, 7:01 pm

Hey guys, I'm planning on going to Barcelona with my girlfriend the week of 10/16-10/23 this year. Last year I went by myself and just booked a ticket+hotel combo through Expedia, but wanted to try out an airline rewards program.

Current Cards:

Amex Hilton Honors (200k, but I believe they can't be transferred)
Chase Freedom (100k which I believe can be transferred to Avios)
Bank of the West Credit Card (~85k, which I don't think transfer)

I have looked into BA Avios, but it seems finding a itinerary will be tough. United has flights, but at the cost of nearly 150k points each way per person, putting the total at 600,000 points, which is out of my range. Unless there is a way I can pay for an economy ticket in United and upgrade it for around 150k, I don't think it's feasible. So I think AA will be my last option I check before I give up...

I have approx. 4 months before my flights so I was planning 2 credit cards, one airline branded CC and another one that transfer into that airline.

Any input from you all? Thank you!
Old May 16, 2015, 7:34 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Caesars Diamond, Amex Plat
I need to book Thanksgiving flights for my elderly in-laws (80). USAirways via Charlotte is showing the best times for them. I'm worried those flights will get absorbed as AA and will change times, which will be a TOTAL CRISIS for them. They do not deal well with change, etc. Any idea if AA will still use Charlotte as hub and will simply be changing "metal" to AA?
Old May 16, 2015, 7:35 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Caesars Diamond, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by MarcusBWI
Hi folks,

I just posted on the USAirways companion cert thread, but here it is again, FWIW.

Well, a few days ago when I first saw MileCards article re using companion certs on AA, I sent a PM to Barclays. I specifically asked if the cert could be used on AA flights once USAirways in completely absorbed (as long as cert isn't expired). The "is not redeemable" is the only part that seems iffy to me. Is, meaning presently. Of course we already know this.

Here's what I got:

"The companion certificate is not redeemable on an American Airlines operated flight. Barclaycard and American Airlines are committed to keeping our customers informed if there are any changes in the future. For the most updated information on our proposed merger please visit www.aa.com. We appreciate your business and we look forward to continuing our relationship with you."
Old May 16, 2015, 7:49 pm

Originally Posted by Stgermainparis
I need to book Thanksgiving flights for my elderly in-laws (80). USAirways via Charlotte is showing the best times for them. I'm worried those flights will get absorbed as AA and will change times, which will be a TOTAL CRISIS for them. They do not deal well with change, etc. Any idea if AA will still use Charlotte as hub and will simply be changing "metal" to AA?
The flights will become AA flights, according to AA, by that time. I count, but that's me, major changes in airport scheduled flights will occur simultaneously; remember, Doug Parjer and his execs have been at the helm well over a year now; if they were to make major changes due to pressing needs, they'd likely have made them by now.

Whether or not this was in the cards, it's always possible times will change.

Seniors and others who are encountering restrictions in their lives find their scope of control shrinking, and it's unsettling at best. Working with bedridden terminally ill people, I have always tried to respect what control they still have by not being intrusive - not sitting on their furniture or bed unless bidden to, not making any adjustments without asking first. Your in laws are also understandably concerned about things beyond their control.

I'd begin preparing the in-laws for flying by saying "we'll buy these now, but we know the airline will be changing names around October, and airlines change flight times and schedules quarterly; we'll be sure to watch this for you so you don't have to worry, and we'll keep you apprised of what's happening" or the like.

That way, you're telling them up front what to expect, and you're making sure they still have as much control as is possible through you, their ally and advocate.
Old May 17, 2015, 5:23 pm

Lounge access rules for guest at LHR T5

I'm an Executive Platinum, traveling through LHR T5 with a colleague. We're flying in togethert and flying out to different destinations, all on BA. I understand I get to use the Galleries First Lounge @ T5; am I allowed to bring my colleague along as a guest?

Thanks!
Old May 17, 2015, 5:47 pm

Originally Posted by singleStep
Lounge access rules for guest at LHR T5

I'm an Executive Platinum, traveling through LHR T5 with a colleague. We're flying in togethert and flying out to different destinations, all on BA. I understand I get to use the Galleries First Lounge @ T5; am I allowed to bring my colleague along as a guest?

Thanks!
It appears so; please review:

oneworld lounge access for frequent flyers by tier status Link

Enjoy exclusive access to premium airport lounges around the world with oneworld Emerald or Sapphire frequent flyer tier status. Members of oneworld airline frequent flyer programmes with the equivalent of oneworld Emerald or Sapphire tier status can use lounges offered by oneworld airlines when departing on any flight marketed and operated by any oneworld member airline, regardless of cabin class being flown (exceptions are noted below).
  • Emerald tier frequent flyers can use First Class, Business Class or frequent flyer lounges.
  • Sapphire tier frequent flyers are welcome in Business Class* or frequent flyer lounges. (*does not include Qantas Domestic Business Lounges)
  • Emerald and Sapphire members may invite one guest to join them in the lounge. The guest must also be travelling on a flight operated and marketed by a oneworld carrier.
  • You must be prepared to show your boarding pass and frequent flyer membership card, with oneworld Emerald or Sapphire tier status, to access a lounge.
Old May 18, 2015, 9:17 am

Originally Posted by JDiver
The flights will become AA flights, according to AA, by that time. I count, but that's me, major changes in airport scheduled flights will occur simultaneously; remember, Doug Parjer and his execs have been at the helm well over a year now; if they were to make major changes due to pressing needs, they'd likely have made them by now.

Whether or not this was in the cards, it's always possible times will change.

Seniors and others who are encountering restrictions in their lives find their scope of control shrinking, and it's unsettling at best. Working with bedridden terminally ill people, I have always tried to respect what control they still have by not being intrusive - not sitting on their furniture or bed unless bidden to, not making any adjustments without asking first. Your in laws are also understandably concerned about things beyond their control.

I'd begin preparing the in-laws for flying by saying "we'll buy these now, but we know the airline will be changing names around October, and airlines change flight times and schedules quarterly; we'll be sure to watch this for you so you don't have to worry, and we'll keep you apprised of what's happening" or the like.

That way, you're telling them up front what to expect, and you're making sure they still have as much control as is possible through you, their ally and advocate.
Yes. You are very sensitive. And I do plan to have that conversation with them. The lack of control is most definitely where they struggle.

There are a lot of moving parts to this trip, including timing of arrival at destination and wheelchair assistance at airport. And I've got to line up car services etc for ground transport. I was mostly concerned that the times or connection point would change dramatically, throwing everything in domino effect and a dozen phone calls. But you are right. This could happen anyway. Thanks for your reply.
Old May 18, 2015, 11:49 am

I've tried searching on Google and here but haven't found a thread on this, though I think there must be -- can someone point me to a thread discussing AA mileage upgrades?

I'm curious how difficult the are to get (especially on TPAC/TATL flights).

I'm referring to these upgrades specifically:
http://www.aa.com/i18n/AAdvantage/re...rade-chart.jsp
Old May 18, 2015, 1:44 pm

Mostly not; not so if one has non-oneworld partners and wants to change to oneworld partners or vice versa, iirc. And date changes can be made, routing and even dropping a segment under certain circumstances.
I have a tack-on question to this.

If my current itinerary is:

DCA-PHL-DOH-AUH on QR

and I want to change it to

IAD-AUH on EY

for the same date of departure

will there be a $150 change fee? Are DCA/IAD considered co-terminal? Fee for switching from QR to EY?

Thanks in advance!
Old May 18, 2015, 1:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Originally Posted by iluvdoco
I have a tack-on question to this.

If my current itinerary is:

DCA-PHL-DOH-AUH on QR

and I want to change it to

IAD-AUH on EY

for the same date of departure

will there be a $150 change fee? Are DCA/IAD considered co-terminal? Fee for switching from QR to EY?

Thanks in advance!
That change would be subject to the $150 fee for two, independent reasons:

1. You are changing the departure airport. (DCA and IAD are co-terminals, but that is irrelevant for purposes of the AAdvantage change fee.)

2. You are changing from an all-oneworld itinerary to an itinerary that includes a non-oneworld carrier.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.