Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

[2015 NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your Consolidated / Combined AA Questions Here (flame free)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Apr 24, 2015, 3:45 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Welcome to the 2015 "NEWBIE LOUNGE"
Ask Your Consolidated / Combined AA Questions Here (flame free)
MODERATOR GUIDEPOST:
(This post can only be edited by moderators.)

Welcome to the Newbie Lounge!

Thanks to thread founder / "plank owner" HNL! Founder and previous FlyerTalk owner, Randy Petersen, quoted (with necessary word substitutions) said in the Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan Forum:
Originally Posted by Randy Petersen

Welcome to FlyerTalk.

The Newbie Lounge is a place where you can get answers to your questions about American Airlines and the AAdvantage program. No question is too stupid, nothing is taken for granted, and anything about American Airlines you were afraid to ask elsewhere, or weren't sure where to ask, you can ask here.

We realize that FlyerTalk is a huge place. Until you learn your way around, feel free to post here without fear of retribution or reprimands for not using search. Our volunteer Moderators will be monitoring the lounge to assist you in finding your answers but I think you'll find that all members of FlyerTalk are here to assist you with answers and advice.

We're all glad you are here.
~American AAdvantage Forum Moderation Team

The pre-consolidation AA NEWBIE LOUNGE thread is here

Some very useful threads for new members to check include.

FAQ: American Airlines and AAdvantage - Please check here first!

WELCOME, US Airways and New AAdvantage members! A GUIDE.

Link to thread covering Weather, IRROPS (irregular operations) etc. of significance affecting American Airlines' operations. This thread contains links to some very useful assistance, AA weather policy and other tools.

HELP DESK: Ask questions about Lounge Access, Challenges, Upgrades, Miles & Points

American Airlines LOUNGEVDASHBOARD
Print Wikipost

[2015 NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your Consolidated / Combined AA Questions Here (flame free)

Search this Thread

Old May 1, 2015, 11:53 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by guv1976
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

I think that the questioner was asking about meals on U.S. flights on US metal, not on AA metal.
Could be - more reason to pay attention where one posts. AFAIK, US doesn't do advance meal orders; they do follow the AA /US order of taking meals described above, though it seems to be honored in the breach more often than not, from reports.

Originally Posted by AZ Travels the World
The new order is:

With a change of time zone:
Eastbound - front to back
Westbound - back to front
No change of time zone:
Southbound: Front to back
Northbound: Back to front
I've had a number of US meal flights this month. I think this was properly followed once.

If US would implement the pre-ordering process AA uses it would be largely moot.

OP, use the Alert a Moderator radio button if you're flying US and want us to move your post. /Moderator
Old May 1, 2015, 2:14 pm

Programs: UA Million Miler (Gold), Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Main Cabin Extra & exit row questions

I've tried searching but can't find answers to my questions. I'm familiar with UA's economy plus seats but know nothing about MCE.

AA website says the price starts at $20. Am I correct in assuming price is tied to length of flight? What is typical price ORD to Hawaii? ORD to west coast?

Does MCE include exit rows? If not, can someone with no status book an exit row for free, or what is the cost?
Old May 2, 2015, 9:49 am

Programs: DL PM; UA 1K; AA 1MM
Originally Posted by linsj
I've tried searching but can't find answers to my questions. I'm familiar with UA's economy plus seats but know nothing about MCE.

AA website says the price starts at $20. Am I correct in assuming price is tied to length of flight? What is typical price ORD to Hawaii? ORD to west coast?

Does MCE include exit rows? If not, can someone with no status book an exit row for free, or what is the cost?
MCE cost is variable based on length of flight and (I think) availability. MCE seats tend to be the first few rows of economy and the exit row seats. For example, on the 737-800 (which does most ORD to west coast flights) MCE is rows 7,8,9 and the exit rows 14 & 15 (NB: some 737s are in an old configuration where coach starts with row 8 and has more MCE seats, but this config is being phased out. Most 737s are in the new config).

For Hawaii, you'll either fly* on the 767-300 (from DFW) or 757 (out of LA). On the 763, MCE is the mini-cabin (rows 11, 12, 13) and the exit rows (20 & 21). On the 757 I believe MCE is rows 9-18 (which includes the exit rows).

It was possible previously on AA to select some exit row seats (e.g. Row 31 on the 772) without having to pay the MCE fee, but AA has since designated those seats as MCE. However, even before they were MCE, these were 'preferred' seats that only elite status members could select for free.

*Note that pre-merger US airplanes do not have MCE. So if you fly Phoenix to Hawaii, there will be no MCE option.
Old May 3, 2015, 10:00 pm

If I am trying to earn segments towards EXP, would it be preferred to start buying connecting flights where possible as opposed to direct flights, or is there no advantage to doing so?
Old May 4, 2015, 7:41 am

Originally Posted by DallyingDingo
If I am trying to earn segments towards EXP, would it be preferred to start buying connecting flights where possible as opposed to direct flights, or is there no advantage to doing so?
As with so many questions, the answer is "it depends".

If you fly connecting flights with discrete (different) flight numbers, you will earn miles (and points and segments) for each separate flight. Depending on your planning, this can significantly increase miles and points earned toward status.

Flying two (or more) flights with the same flight number ("through flights") gains you the same (it will be counted as one single segment) as if they were one nonstop flight, even if you must change aircraft or types of aircraft.

A side advantage is sometimes connecting flights can cost less than no stops.
Old May 4, 2015, 8:09 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Caesars Diamond, Amex Plat
When I find award space on AA (3 seats) and BA Avios (3 seats) for the same route/date/flight, are those the same seats? Or is it 6 award seats total?

I'm trying to book 5 tix and can't find 5 together on a return on either AA or BA. When I search, it's usually consistently the same # of seats on the AA and BA sites (for same flight/date), which makes me think there is only a total of, say, 3 seats, but on a few dates it's a different number of seats on AA and BA. I'd like to do 3x AA and 2x BA on UIO-MIA, for example. That way we can book separately but fly together.

Last edited by Stgermainparis; May 4, 2015 at 3:15 pm
Old May 7, 2015, 8:56 am

Programs: IHG Spire Ambassador, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond
Question about same-day standby

Is the $75 fee for same-day standby always collected (at the gate)? There's plenty of space on an earlier flight I'd like to take, but it's not worth $75, so if AA gate agents strictly adhere to this policy, then I won't bother getting to the airport earlier. Thanks.
Old May 7, 2015, 10:13 am

Originally Posted by 54austin
Is the $75 fee for same-day standby always collected (at the gate)? There's plenty of space on an earlier flight I'd like to take, but it's not worth $75, so if AA gate agents strictly adhere to this policy, then I won't bother getting to the airport earlier. Thanks.
You can, depending on the terms and conditions of your ticket and the good graces of the gate agent, stand by.

But that's not the same as same-day confirmed flight change, usually arranged telephonically, ticket counter or other media than the gate; and that does incur a $75 fee.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...solidated.html

That's on American (why the thread above is in the AA pre-consolidation forum); I'm unaware of US' policies dealing with this issue.
Old May 7, 2015, 11:59 am

Programs: AA LT Gold
Credit card one day pass

I have a credit card one day pass for Admirals Club. Will I be able to use it at JAL lounge in Frankfurt? Traveling in coach on AA.
Old May 7, 2015, 12:07 pm

Originally Posted by rkh29
I have a credit card one day pass for Admirals Club. Will I be able to use it at JAL lounge in Frankfurt? Traveling in coach on AA.
The Sakura lounge operates on oneworld principles, plus an agreement with departing AA Business, First (when it's available) passengers and Admirals a Club members.

So, I'm afraid not; you'd need Sapphire or Emerald status, or Admirals Club thirty day membership ($99) or annual membership.
Old May 7, 2015, 6:57 pm

Anyone know how far in advance we can sign up for the AA status challenge for gold/plat? (and if we can even do this anymore?)
Old May 7, 2015, 8:39 pm

Originally Posted by MikailSJ
Anyone know how far in advance we can sign up for the AA status challenge for gold/plat? (and if we can even do this anymore?)
You can still do it; iirc reports are you can sign up within a couple of weeks.

Starting your challenge on or after 16 June will give you status through the las day of February of 2017... See the wiki and challenge thread:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...-platinum.html
Old May 7, 2015, 8:48 pm

Programs: AA EXP (probably nothing w/ AA next year :)), Delta Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
Points question

Hey guys, I'm flying BA F from DXB-DFW via LHR and also participating in the status challenge for AA Plat. Will I get the points (with 1.5X multiplier bc of F) for these flights on my AAdvantage account?

I know the current promotion bonus (2x on top of normal i believe) doesn't apply bc it was NOT an AA marketed flight. Bonus doesn't apply to challenges anyway..
Old May 7, 2015, 8:49 pm

Programs: AA EXP (probably nothing w/ AA next year :)), Delta Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by MikailSJ
I'm doing it now, they will even backdate (within reason)
Old May 7, 2015, 8:51 pm

Originally Posted by shgroamer
Hey guys, I'm flying BA F from DXB-DFW via LHR and also participating in the status challenge for AA Plat. Will I get the points (with 1.5X multiplier bc of F) for these flights on my AAdvantage account?

I know the current promotion bonus (2x on top of normal i believe) doesn't apply bc it was NOT an AA marketed flight. Bonus doesn't apply to challenges anyway..
You will earn 1.5 Points per base mile.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...-platinum.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.