FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   Need to buy a ticket to DXB: Strategy for comfort & miles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/1674228-need-buy-ticket-dxb-strategy-comfort-miles.html)

ChurchofTee Apr 22, 2015 2:47 pm

Need to buy a ticket to DXB: Strategy for comfort & miles

I need to get to DXB for work, arrive DXB on 5/9 and start return journey on 5/14. I want to get there as comfortable as possible and earn as much EQM as possible. I am prepared to give up some EQM for comfort. I need to book within the next 2 days. Per my company policy I can only pay for Y. I have 6 SWUs left and I have plenty of miles to use to upgrade. I have an EF account for searching C availability.

I can get there any in routing, but I need to get there in one day / night vs. 2 (so cannot go over the Pacific Ocean).

I have looked at routing via LHR on AA, then connecting to BA to DXB but the flights do not look promising for an upgrade with SWU. I have also looked at going to FRA and a return for SWU looks positive but not as much outbound. But if I did FRA, I would have to fly LH from FRA-DXB.

Here are some questions I need help:
  1. Will AA transfer a bag to LH in FRA? The loads to FRA seem best option that I see so far but need to do more research.
  2. Other options / thoughts of route / partners to get me to DXB in more comfort than Y?
  3. What is the priority of upgrades, SWU before points and cash is what I believe to be correct. Am I?
  4. I am looking to get into Europe in J, I believe that is closest I can get to DXB in J. Or can I upgrade some other than BA or IB with AAdvantage miles?

Any help?

Microwave Apr 23, 2015 4:26 am

I went ahead and updated the thread's title to more accurately reflect its contents.

~Moderator

Gunner14 Apr 23, 2015 5:34 am

I'd book the 77W to LHR (trying to use a SWU but ultimately ok with a good MCE seat) and then Etihad apartment LHR-AUH on an award ticket. :)

Lanzz Apr 23, 2015 5:53 am

I'd get to LHR in J on an SWU, and then use cash to upgrade to premium economy on BA from Y. I've done this many times to India, and it works well. The premium economy upgrade is about $350 most of the time. Sometimes, you can upgrade to Business on BA for about $1,100 - I've done both. BA long haul Business is not that good, so if premium economy is available, I would do that in a heartbeat. You do this at the customer service center in the food court in Terminal 5.

ChurchofTee Apr 23, 2015 6:21 am

Originally Posted by Lanzz (Post 24708042)
I'd get to LHR in J on an SWU, and then use cash to upgrade to premium economy on BA from Y. I've done this many times to India, and it works well. The premium economy upgrade is about $350 most of the time. Sometimes, you can upgrade to Business on BA for about $1,100 - I've done both. BA long haul Business is not that good, so if premium economy is available, I would do that in a heartbeat. You do this at the customer service center in the food court in Terminal 5.

There is no fare class restriction to upgrade from Y to PE or J? Any other info on logistics / getting the upgrade? And does paying for for this upgrade get more EQP?