PHL - CUN 11/21 thru 28 SWUs

Old Apr 19, 15, 11:24 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Chivas, Tequila, Good Beer
PHL - CUN 11/21 thru 28 SWUs

US member here with 8 SWUS wondering if they can be used for me and the GF to go to Cancun for Thanksgving. How exactly do I go about figuring out which flights or dates? We want to do sat to sat or sunday. Do I just call the Plat Exp desk or is there a trick to it in the aa.com site?

Gracias in advance
Old Apr 20, 15, 12:53 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Hyatt Explorist
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...thread-33.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...solidated.html
Old Apr 20, 15, 6:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT
Originally Posted by PepeBorja View Post
US member here with 8 SWUS wondering if they can be used for me and the GF to go to Cancun for Thanksgving. How exactly do I go about figuring out which flights or dates? We want to do sat to sat or sunday. Do I just call the Plat Exp desk or is there a trick to it in the aa.com site?

Gracias in advance
You have to call in.

Also, Plat and EXP are two different things.
Old Apr 20, 15, 7:57 am

Programs: AA EXP 1.2mm, Kimpton IC, Starwood Gold, Marriott Gold
I would not waste a SWU on Cancun. In my experience, normal upgrades always clear on beach/leisure routes. But whatever floats your boat...
Old Apr 20, 15, 8:19 am

Programs: AA-EXP; US-Silver; Marriott-Platinum; Starwood-Platinum; Hilton-Gold
Originally Posted by SJC AA View Post
I would not waste a SWU on Cancun. In my experience, normal upgrades always clear on beach/leisure routes. But whatever floats your boat...
I agree. Cancun is treated as a domestic upgrade. There is nothing special about this flight.
Old Apr 20, 15, 11:26 am

Programs: US CP, MR Gold, SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by AA-Flyer-SAN View Post
I agree. Cancun is treated as a domestic upgrade. There is nothing special about this flight.
Other than your going to Cancun which is awesome...Take a day trip to Isla Mujeres and rent a golf cart.

But seriously, the equipment is like a normal domestic flight and there's a high probability of clearing during the upgrade window. Though go ahead and burn them if you know you aren't going to be doing any international long haul travel...

Go Gators
Old Apr 20, 15, 9:40 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Chivas, Tequila, Good Beer
Thanks. I travel to Europe on miles and hotel points twice a year on milesavers. I do not see myself buying airfare to go to Europe and use SWU so I figure mights as well cash them in for a few bucks rather than see them go unused. I'm going to Berlin in May, London in Sept. And Rome in Feb all with miles. I just don't see a time I could use SWUS on long haul before they expire.

I noticed the CUN fare coming back is only 67 dollars higher on discounted F and 170 on the way down. If I can use 2 SWUS I would be cashing them for 340 and not risk not getting an UG on the busiest travel week of the year. If this were off season I would not think too much about it but Saturday to Saturday on thanksgiving on a busy travel time seems a bit dicey.

I tried using the chairman certs last month going to Munich and they did not clear. These things seem a bit worthless unless you apply well in advanced or are traveling when no one is.
Old Apr 20, 15, 11:11 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA EXP/3MM
Out of curiosity, how did you acquire 8 SWUs as a US Plat?
Old Apr 20, 15, 11:32 pm

Programs: AA EXP OWE, DL DM ST+, AS MVPG, UA, BA, WN CP, Hyatt E, Ritz Plat, HH GM
Originally Posted by vasantn View Post
Out of curiosity, how did you acquire 8 SWUs as a US Plat?
I'm gonna guess he didn't update his profile and he is CP.

Search this Thread