Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Saw this on "The Boarding Area": [Empty F cabin, not all for sale] Any insights?

Saw this on "The Boarding Area": [Empty F cabin, not all for sale] Any insights?

Old Apr 14, 15, 12:49 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP

Why Won’t American Sell a First Class Seat? A Conundrum I Can’t Make Sense Of.

by Gary Leff on April 13, 2015

I’m looking at a flight later today that has only two first class seats for sale:

It makes sense why they would not give away the last first class seats the way some other airlines do. It doesn’t make sense why they would not be willing to sell the last first class seats...

Still, there’s no story I can come up with to explain why 11 seats would be open on the seat map for this particular flight while American is unwilling to sell a first class seat. (By the way, the flight before shows sold out in first but with more than a third of the seat map open).

Does anyone have insight? It’s a situation I’ve been noodling on since this morning to no avail.

Last edited by JDiver; Apr 14, 15 at 5:11 pm Reason: Copyright violation; see Rules please.
Old Apr 14, 15, 2:47 pm

Programs: AA, DL, AS MVP, VA
Here's the link to the original blog article, which should have been in the OP.

As many have noted in the comments, this looks very much like oversold coach; AA effectively sells F seats as coach when their algorithm predicts they can't sell the F seats. They'll happily accept miles+copay to upgrade Y passengers (hence the A1) but aren't willing to sell more seats on the plane (hence F0Y0, or F less than the apparently-unsold F seats Y0) and will upgrade elites or even op-up if it somehow gets to that.
Old Apr 14, 15, 4:53 pm

Programs: AAdvantage EXP, IHG Spire, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by ashill View Post
Here's the link to the original blog article, which should have been in the OP.

As many have noted in the comments, this looks very much like oversold coach; AA effectively sells F seats as coach when their algorithm predicts they can't sell the F seats. They'll happily accept miles+copay to upgrade Y passengers (hence the A1) but aren't willing to sell more seats on the plane (hence F0Y0, or F less than the apparently-unsold F seats Y0) and will upgrade elites or even op-up if it somehow gets to that.
Yes I've found this is very common, and is almost every flight in potential OSO/IRROPS situations. Y is oversold, they bring F down to 0 and let it float. I've gotten many IRROPs reaccoms straight into F thanks to this when Y is way oversold and no seats physically available.

I think its a way to support ticketed F in OSO/IRROPS but also to help out on the elites that can clear reaccom'ed to Y and then upgraded straight into F.
Old Apr 15, 15, 3:27 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
Thread title has been updated to reflect its contents, as required by FlyerTalk Rules.

The full paste of the blog post in the OP has also been redacted, as this is a copyright violation not permitted by FlyerTalk rules.

~Moderator
Old Apr 15, 15, 3:50 am

Programs: BA-Gld, BD Lifetime Gld, LH Pleb, *Wd GPG, HH-Dmd, Amex: can take their Cent card and <CENSORED>
Pretty much the first thing I got taught when I was building an interface to the CRSs of the time (a long time ago, but as far as I know, the basics haven't changed that much) is not to get availability mixed up with inventory. As seasoned FT vets we (should) all know that F2A1 doesn't mean that there are only 3 seats available in the F cabin, any more than it guarantees that there are 3 or more seats (the A is most likely the same seat as one of the F's).

All F2 means is that the airline currently doesn't want to offer to sell more than two seats at once on via the CRS. If you bought those two seats, two more may magically appear, or only one, or it may wait until an inventory management run, or it may go to waitlist.......

The oversold Y is a possible explanation, as is very aggressive inventory management, as is concerns over leaking commercially sensitive information (the internal airline systems know exactly how full each cabin is, even if the answer is a negative number, i.e. oversold, but airlines long ago realised that broadcasting their forward load information to their competitors for 11 months ahead isn't a bright idea, hence why a lot of flights show J9, or J7, or J4 even when there are 20 or 30 business seats available, and we coders learn empirically for each airline when J4 means "four seats available" and when it means "many seats available").

Now, if you bought those two seats and it went straight to FC, then I'd start to be suspicious....

Last edited by Microwave; Apr 15, 15 at 4:50 am Reason: Removed manual signature

Search this Thread
Search Engine: